BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The end of Google Play, merging with YouTube
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ben08
post Aug 11 2020, 03:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 5,152
Google Play Music is going away soon
YouTube Music is replacing Google Play Music as your new destination for music listening and discovery. Between October and the end of this year, access to Google Play Music will be removed permanently. We know that you've spent time building your Google Play Music library, so we've made it easy to transfer your music library to YouTube Music with just one click, including playlists, uploads and recommendations.

If you haven't tried YouTube Music yet, you'll notice that it looks a bit different from Google Play Music, but know that it was built by the same team with the same passion. It also offers more than 65 million official songs, albums and playlists, as well as many features that you love and expect from Google Play Music.

Music store on Google Play
Starting in 30 days, the Music store on Google Play will go away. It will no longer be possible to purchase music on Google Play, and all pre-orders will be cancelled. When you transfer, your purchases will move with you to YouTube Music.

Will anyone miss it? Beatles albums are only £8.99 on Google Music, £3 cheaper than iTunes downloads.
Looks like streaming is taking over. So how long before iTunes disappears?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rush
post Aug 11 2020, 04:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
wayback machine gif rescuer
User: 18,564
I've never bought any music from Google Play, but I've been using it as my go-to source for fetching (or simply viewing) HQ single/album covers for many years, so that's disappointing. (iTunes is generally inferior for that purpose because instant grats don't get released separately, pre-album singles are more likely to be deleted, and some older stuff's artwork is of lesser quality, along with being considerably more inconvenient to use.) Yes I know this is a very obscure use case but at least someone will miss it laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Aug 11 2020, 04:02 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I really dread the day iTunes goes away I really do sad.gif sales have a small market but sometimes they make the difference for #1 in close weeks and for albums too it’s still quite a market like for example when a big artist does a surprise drop like Taylor did.

I often still buy singles and albums on iTunes though in some cases too there’s certain instances were some things are only on iTunes and aren’t on the actual CD of albums too laugh.gif

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post Aug 11 2020, 04:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
I guess when it does eventually happen, charity releases like LadBaby's will utilise their own websites for sales

+Quote this post
DJ Cheeky Magpie
post Aug 11 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Pineapple 🍍
User: 33,062
Amazon music still round to

+Quote this post
Rush
post Aug 11 2020, 04:28 PM
Post #6
Group icon
wayback machine gif rescuer
User: 18,564
QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Aug 12 2020, 02:15 AM) *
I guess when it does eventually happen, charity releases like LadBaby's will utilise their own websites for sales
This is potentially worrying because, if I understood correctly, Nicki Minaj stans tried to make 'Move Ya Hips' (by A$AP Ferg featuring her and MadeinTYO) debut at #1 in the US this week by exploiting the fact that, if you bought it from A$AP Ferg's website store rather than iTunes, you'd be able to buy up to 4 copies per person laugh.gif

(It only debuted at #19 though so it failed - not sure if Billboard filtered out dodgy numbers, or if the alleged stan conspiracies that the website sales weren't reported are actually true.)

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Aug 11 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
for what I read, Ferg's label forgot to report the sales from their website biggrin.gif that's why the lower than expected debut
but it's probably just another silly theory from the idiotic Nicki Minaj fans

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Aug 11 2020, 04:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I never got too attached to downloads. Physical copies is where it’s at for me.

+Quote this post
Fintendo
post Aug 11 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #9
Group icon
New Entry
User: 107,104
I have transferred my music but I cannot listen to them offline without paying for a service? Am I missing something? I bought all my music btw

+Quote this post
Brer
post Aug 11 2020, 05:13 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
The thing about A$AP Ferg 'not submitting' the sales is almost certainly baseless speculation, far more likely that the vast majority of the sales for the song were illegitimate / bulk purchases. I don't think anyone but Billboard knows for sure though. It's funny either way. xx

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Aug 11 2020, 06:20 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
I'd completely forgotten about Google Play Music. I remember buying some albums from Google Music a few years back when the store had regular £1.99 album offers running but I'd downloaded them all and have them saved to both my computer and an external drive. I had to look up my old email address, logged in and there are over 100 albums plus some tracks that I've bought. I forgot they could be played through the online Google Music Player interface.

If I'm typical of the average user it would suggest that the service wasn't being used to the extent that made it worthwhile for Google to continue maintaining it.

Thse £1.99 album deals really were great though. Shame they came to an end a few years ago. Looking at my purchase history I don't seem to have bought anything since January 2017. That is pretty much when I started to use Spotify on a more regular basis.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post Aug 11 2020, 06:28 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454
QUOTE(T Boy @ Aug 11 2020, 12:42 PM) *
I never got too attached to downloads. Physical copies is where it’s at for me.

Same for me. I download occasionally, but it's not my main source of music.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:35 AM