BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Could the Official Chart ever move to commercial radio?, oNow Radio 1 no longer seem to care
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
zenon
post Sep 16 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 8,809
As Radio 1 are gradually becoming uninterested with the Official Chart do you think commercial radio would jump at the chance to broadcast it for the first time ever when the rights are next up for renewal?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Sep 16 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #2
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
I don't think Radio 1's disinterest is the underlying problem here... kink.gif

+Quote this post
Ethan
post Sep 16 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #3
Group icon
3:23
User: 5,269
more likely to be shunted onto r2 or r6 than surrendered to commercial rivals i would've thought~

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Sep 16 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
I think Capital will probably get it soon. I dont know how happy they are with the Big Top 40/ what listening figures have been though, bit I would say that given most of tgeir playlist keeps songs longer than radio 1 anyway, they wouldn't mind having the slow chart of today anyway, and the term 'official number 1' is better sounding than 'big top 40 number 1'

I dont think Radio 1 needs the chart any more, it can just focus on new music.

+Quote this post
danG
post Sep 17 2016, 06:44 AM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
After the BBC losing Bake Off, I'm sure the OCC now have ideas to give it to commercial radio who would pay more money for the bragging rights of having the official #1..

+Quote this post
ankietarrr
post Sep 18 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,769
OCC should never be associated with the BBC as this is purely commercial activity

This post has been edited by ankietarrr: Sep 18 2016, 07:24 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Sep 18 2016, 07:28 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(ankietarrr @ Sep 18 2016, 08:22 PM) *
OCC should never be associated with the BBC as this is purely commercial activity

I suppose they should also be banned from giving football results.

+Quote this post
ankietarrr
post Sep 18 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,769
Up to them if they do it for free.
As a licence fee payer I can not be happy for BBC paying for privilege of displaying commercials like chart videos are
It is OCC or record companies should pay BBC to presenting their artists as they gain the audience thanks to chart shows

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Sep 18 2016, 09:27 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(ankietarrr @ Sep 18 2016, 10:16 PM) *
Up to them if they do it for free.
As a licence fee payer I can not be happy for BBC paying for privilege of displaying commercials like chart videos are
It is OCC or record companies should pay BBC to presenting their artists as they gain the audience thanks to chart shows

So politicians should pay the BBC for showing clips of their speeches in news bulletins?

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Sep 18 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
QUOTE(TheSnake @ Sep 16 2016, 11:54 PM) *
I think Capital will probably get it soon. I dont know how happy they are with the Big Top 40/ what listening figures have been though, bit I would say that given most of tgeir playlist keeps songs longer than radio 1 anyway, they wouldn't mind having the slow chart of today anyway, and the term 'official number 1' is better sounding than 'big top 40 number 1'

I agree that Capital are the radio station most responsible for songs staying in the charts so long but, at the same time, I'd for some reason think that Capital's audiences would get bored with the same songs being in the chart in a similar order. It's contradictory, I know, but I could imagine that, whilst they may still enjoy hearing the likes of 'One Dance' over and over again, they wouldn't like seeing it be at the top part of the charts in favour of other songs.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Sep 18 2016, 11:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
I suppose Capital have been around with their slow playlists since 2010, hence Airplanes, Just The Way You Are and Love The Way You Lie spending an eternity in the chart.

But in general, the early 2010s charts were faster so Capital isn't all to blame for the slow charts now. But streaming plus Capital's slow playlist is a recipe for little movement in the charts.

Maybe Capital getting the chart would be a good thing as ot wouldgive them an incentive to speed up their playlist.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Sep 18 2016, 11:29 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
Let's hope Capital never get their hands on the official charts and push through the inclusion of radio plays to count towards chart positions - Nathan Sykes would have 20+ week running #1's laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Gambo
post Sep 21 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,106
I doubt that ILR would ever be granted rights to broadcast the official Top 40, despite the treatment it's been given by Radio 1, which in fairness even to them, has largely been a response to the way the industry have driven the chart in recent times. It wouldn't be legitimate or realistic to have hoped that the chart could've remained the way it had been for so long, given the recent changes to the market, and the way people listen nowadays.

What's interesting to me though, is that whatever the wrongs and rights of 'New Music Fridays', the consequent industry shift of the chart week to a split-week frame, and the resultant move of the Top 40 Show to Fridays from Sundays, I listened to the full three hours of the ILR "Big Top 40 Show" for the first time last Sunday (I've never sat through an entire ILR chart ever since its inception in 1984, always favouring the R1 option). I wasn't especially looking to pay close attention to the detail, as for all the criticisms of the impact of streaming etc, I shall always follow the official tabulation (as long as they don't restrict eligibilty rules in any significant way at least), and so I was just looking for some background while I got on with something else on Sunday afternoon. However, from what I heard, the programme actually wasn't too insufferable, and bar the odd inane interview with some of the 'stars', and the inherent limitations of a chart that's based only on I-Tunes sales from 1-10 and sales/airplay for the rest, it was presented reasonably well as a straightforward countdown of the hits. No patch on how the official one was on R1 back in my youth of course, but I thought a considerable improvement on the R1 formula which has been execrable to all but young kids for at least a decade! No; I am bound to say it was quite passable in format.

So that leaves me to wonder whether it would be the end of the world if it did ever move to the likes of Capital et al? Provided they had no say over the formula and compilation of the chart, I think Marvin Humes and that bird he's with whose name escapes me would do okay?! No offence to Greg James though over on R1 - he does an acceptable job I think, and can't help that the Top 40 has been moved to an antisocial day and shoehorned into a very narrow slot.

This post has been edited by Gambo: Sep 21 2016, 03:41 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:09 AM