BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RabbitFurCoat - 100 Songs of the 2010s
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
RabbitFurCoat
post 10th December 2019, 07:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

So I'd been thinking about the best songs/albums of the decade for a while now and whilst I wanted to do something, I neither have the time or the inclination to put together something resembling a top 100/200 of the decade like I did 10 years ago, so instead I present 100 songs I've loved over the last 10 years, split into 20 categories with 5 songs in each, which I'll hopefully reveal one a day for the rest of the year, culminating in the final category, the best 5 songs of the 2010s. Many songs fit into multiple categories and some I might be stretching a bit to fit into something specific. The years are fairly evenly represented, I think each has at least 7 songs and none have more than 13.

This first post will keep a recap of everything I've revealed so far.

1 - Excited for the 2020s
Dream Wife - Somebody
Easy Life - Nightmares
FONTAINES D.C. - Boys In the Better Land
Hatchie - Obsessed
Otha - I'm On Top

2 - Female Solo Artists
Alice Glass - Stillbirth
Bat For Lashes - Laura
FKA twigs - Two Weeks
Jessie Ware - Imagine It Was Us
Robyn - Dancing On My Own

3 - Male Solo Artists
How To Dress Well - Words I Don't Remember
James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream
Jamie xx - All Under One Roof Raving
Pusha T - If You Know You Know
Sampha - (No One Knows Me) Like The Piano

4 - 1990s Acts
blink-182 - Bored To Death
Blur - Under The Westway
The Chemical Brothers feat. Beck - Wide Open
Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams - Get Lucky
Ride - Cali

5 - 2010s Acts
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Elbow - Lippy Kids
Kasabian - Stevie
The National - England
The Streets - Sometimes I Hate My Friends More Than My Enemies

6 - Chart Hits
Disclosure feat. AlunaGeorge - White Noise
Lady Gaga & Beyonce - Telephone
Rudimental feat. John Newman - Feel The Love
Swedish House Mafia feat. John Newman - Don't You Worry Child
Tinie Tempah - Pass Out

7 - Duets / Collaborations
Christine & The Queens feat. Perfume Genius - Jonathan
Crystal Castles feat. Robert Smith - Not In Love
ionnalee feat. TR/ST - Harvest
Loyle Carner feat. Jorja Smith - Loose Ends
The National - Where Is Her Head?

8 - Great Live Acts
Blood Red Shoes - Elijah
The Chemical Brothers - Got To Keep On
DMA's - Delete
Hot Chip - Hungry Child
Public Service Broadcasting - Night Mail

9 - Rock
Foals - Inhaler
Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart of Life
Lost Under Heaven - I &I
Marmozets - Play
Slaves - Sockets

10 - Electronic
Caribou - Our Love
Crystal Castles - Plague
Grimes - Flesh Without Blood
Jon Hopkins feat. Purity Ring - Breathe This Air
Röyksopp feat. Susanne Sundfør - Running To The Sea

11 - Hip-Hop
Danny Brown feat. Purity Ring - 25 Bucks
Dave feat. Ruelle - Lesley
Dizzee Rascal - Space
Jay-Z & Kanye West - Ni**as In Paris
Little Simz - 101 FM

12 - Indie
Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
Bombay Bicycle Club - Shuffle
Courteeners - The 17th
DMA's - For Now
M83 - Midnight City

13 - Chilled
alt-J - 3WW
Beach House - Norway
Bon Iver - Holocene
London Grammar - Rooting For You
The xx - Angels

14 - Remixes
David Bowie - Love Is Lost [Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA]
Hot Chip - Spell [Superorganism Remix]
LCD Soundsystem - Oh Baby [Lovefingers Remix]
London Grammar - Hell To The Liars [Kölsch Remix]
The xx - On Hold [Jamie xx Remix]

15 - Gone But Not Forgotten
Estrons - Lilac
The Maccabees - Went Away
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Heart In Your Heartbreak
Wild Beasts - Palace
Wu Lyf - We Bros

16 - Long Songs
Everything Everything - A Fever Dream
Foals - Spanish Sahara
Jagwar Ma - The Throw
Real Lies - The Checks
Tokyo Police Club - Argentina (Parts I, I, II)

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 11th January 2020, 02:54 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 10th December 2019, 07:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

Dream Wife - Somebody (2018)
Easy Life - Nightmares (2018)
FONTAINES D.C. - Boys In the Better Land (2019)
Hatchie - Obsessed (2019)
Otha - I'm On Top (2018)

So I will start with 5 acts who I'm hoping will appear in something like this in another 10 years, 5 fairly new acts who I've loved over the last couple of years who I can't wait for more material from. It took a while to get into Dream Wife, but I ended up loving their self-titled debut album and ranking amongst my favourites of the year, with 'Somebody' the standout from it, with its powerful and emotive lyrical content. 'Nightmares' the standout from the huge amount of tracks Easy Life have managed to put out over the last two years and is probably their most popular anthem. It's been a while since an act I've enjoyed right from the beginning has gone on to big things put I'm fairly hopeful with them making Radio 1 playlists and having fairly big tours which have easily sold out.

FONTAINES D.C. were far from being an instant hit with me, but once I was able to get into them and get used to singing in such a strong Irish accent I began to love them. Like many lists I've seen, 'Dogrel' is comfortably my favourite album of the year and after spending 7 weeks at the top of my chart over the summer 'Boys In The Better Land' probably gives them the single/album double. Hatchie's beaufitul dream pop has been a regular on my playlists since last summer, 'Obsessed' is the most gorgeous catchy pop song that I continue to adore. Former Unknown Pleasures winner Otha has only released 3 great tracks so far at a fairly slow rate, so am eagerly anticipating more.

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 10th December 2019, 07:08 PM

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 11th December 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #3
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

2 - Female Solo Artists

Alice Glass - Stillbirth (2015)
Bat For Lashes - Laura (2012)
FKA twigs - Two Weeks (2014)
Jessie Ware - Imagine It Was Us (2013)
Robyn - Dancing On My Own (2010)

'Stillbirth' was the debut single from ex-Crystal Castles member Alice Glass, and remains by far my favourite of hers, it's not the easiest listen with its content about abusive relationships but it's a superb song dealt with well. Bat For Lashes continued the decade where she'd left the previous one, releasing more excellent music. Her first single of the decade 'Laura' is hauntingly beautiful. 'LP2' was an album I was eagerly anticipating after previous twigs material, and it didn't disappoint, lead single 'Two Weeks' and its accompanying video again absolutely stunning.

I don't think Jessie Ware has released a bad song over the course of three albums and a lot of featured appearances throughout this decade, but I've always loved her bangers the most, and 'Imagine It Was Us' was certainly that, just being chosen ahead of '110%'. A recap of the decade wouldn't be complete without an entry from Robyn, whose releases might not be often, but continue to be excellent. 'Dancing On My Own' remains her definitive song of the 2010s.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 15th December 2019, 09:51 AM
Post #4
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

I love the Post-Punk revivalism that seems to be happening in Ireland at the moment, especially on the new Fontaines D.C. album Dogrel, hopefully like you say they can grow into a band with much more widespread appeal next year. Some other great new Irish bands around lately such as The Murder Capital and Girl Band.

I really loved “I'm On Top” by Otha which I discovered via your chart I believe, she seems like someone who could have a lot of promise in the future.

Obviously great to see Bat for Lashes, Jessie Ware, FKA twigs and Robyn all represented here - all (apart from FKA twigs who has only been around since 2014) have been remarkably consistently good throughout the 2010s. I think Jessie Ware is actually my most charted female act of the 2010s actually (TBC).

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 20th December 2019, 03:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

So my plan of one a day went to pot when my intention to write a load for this week last Saturday was curtailed by a post-Xmas do raging hangover, so here goes as I try to catch up a bit..

3 - Male Solo Artists

How To Dress Well - Words I Don't Remember (2014)
James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream (2011)
Jamie xx - All Under One Roof Raving (2014)
Pusha T - If You Know You Know (2018)
Sampha - (No One Knows Me) Like The Piano (2017)

How To Dress Well and James Blake would both be nailed on certainties for being in my top 10 acts of the decade, both releasing many excellent singles and albums. 'Words I Don't Remember' so beautiful and lyrically brilliant, 'The Wilhelm Scream' so fantastic in its haunting simplicity. Jamie XX had released some really interesting solo stuff that I'd enjoyed, but 'All Under One Roof Raving' was one of those songs that I just instantly fell in love with, its use of samples so brilliant and clever.

The last 18 months have seen far more hip-hop released that I love than any period before, 'DAYTONA' the first album of its kind I've really loved for a long while, but only the first of about 5 from the last 12 months. I'd been enjoying 'If You Know You Know' for a while when it suddenly clicked, an incredible beat and something I've returned to loads this year. Sampha's album 'Process' is one I've returned to a lot over the last three years, its single '(No One Knows Me) Like The Piano' about his late mother one of a few songs that'll just make me stop and concentrate solely on the song and its lyrics.

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 20th December 2019, 03:31 PM

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 20th December 2019, 03:30 PM
Post #6
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Dec 15 2019, 09:51 AM) *
I love the Post-Punk revivalism that seems to be happening in Ireland at the moment, especially on the new Fontaines D.C. album Dogrel, hopefully like you say they can grow into a band with much more widespread appeal next year. Some other great new Irish bands around lately such as The Murder Capital and Girl Band.

I really loved “I'm On Top” by Otha which I discovered via your chart I believe, she seems like someone who could have a lot of promise in the future.

Obviously great to see Bat for Lashes, Jessie Ware, FKA twigs and Robyn all represented here - all (apart from FKA twigs who has only been around since 2014) have been remarkably consistently good throughout the 2010s. I think Jessie Ware is actually my most charted female act of the 2010s actually (TBC).

Thanks for your comment. I absolutely love Dogrel, seems to have been right towards the top of many albums of the year lists and deservedly so. I might have to delve deeper into The Murder Capital, quite like the couple of songs of theirs I'm familiar with.

Jessie Ware has racked up a few hits in my chart too, but I wasn't quite as early to her as many were so not so much from her first album, which is comfortably her best for me. Featured on many great songs too - Julio Bashmore, Miguel, Katy B, Disclosure

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 20th December 2019, 04:02 PM
Post #7
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

4 - 1990s Acts

blink-182 - Bored To Death (2016)
Blur - Under The Westway (2012)
The Chemical Brothers feat. Beck - Wide Open (2015)
Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams - Get Lucky (2013)
Ride - Cali (2017)

5 acts who were around in the 90s and still going strong two decades later now.

blink-182 have never been a massive favourite of mine, it's not the type of music I can listen to loads of, but their best few singles (Adam's Song, I Miss You, Stay Together...) have always been as good as anyone's and 'Bored To Death' joins that list, I was utterly obsessed with it in the summer of 2016. Blur's unexpected return in 2012 was a triumphant one, they were a band I'd really grown to love during the 00s, and I loved their long awaited return.

A 'two-for' with 'Wide Open', as The Chemical Brothers and Beck teamed up for one of their singles from 2015 album 'Born In The Echoes'. The Chemical Brothers are certainly amongst my favourite acts of all time, and their ever continuing ability to produce great songs with each album is incredible, this is my favourite of this decade and it matches up with their best from both the 90s and 00s, the way it builds is great and Beck is the perfect vocalist for it.

There aren't a huge amount of massive hits in this list, but 'Get Lucky' one of the decades biggest hits and one of my favourite songs from it, seeming to transcend to appeal to everyone, 7 years later it still doesn't fail to uplift. Unlike the other four Ride weren't a band I was aware of when they were around in the 1990s, but I enjoyed their 2017 return and subsequent investigation of previous work a lot, 'Cali' my favourite of their 00s output.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 22nd December 2019, 10:36 AM
Post #8
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

5 - 2010s Acts

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know? (2013)
Elbow - Lippy Kids (2011)
Kasabian - Stevie (2014)
The National - England (2010)
The Streets - Sometimes I Hate My Friends More Than My Enemies (2018)

Following on from 90s acts that were still great, five 00s acts who continued to be brilliant in the following decade now. 'Do I Wanna Know?' was deservedly put Arctic Monkeys back up a notch or two when released in 2013, their biggest hit since their debut and still one of their best. Elbow went into the new decade as my favourite act around following 2008's 'The Seldom Seen Kid' and continued in fine form with another great album soon after. Whilst I reached a bit of an Elbow saturation during the decade they still released a strong bunch of songs, 'Lippy Kids' the easy standout from their 2010s output.

Kasabian another 2000s favourite who had a great decade, with each of their three albums being great, the anthemic 'Stevie' being the pick of the bunch. The National were one of my favourite bands of the noughties and have followed it up by comfortably being in my top 3 of this decade too. Starting early in the decade with the release of 'High Violet', 'England' has become one of their most popular songs and a live staple, that piano intro gets me every time, and it also soundtracked the Montage of the Decade. I absolutely loved The Streets when I was a teenager, and 'Original Pirate Material' remains one of my all time favourite albums, their return over the last couple of years has been decent, by far the best of which being 'Sometimes I Hate My Friends More Than My Enemies', which takes me right back.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 24th December 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #9
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

6 - Chart Hits

Disclosure feat. AlunaGeorge - White Noise (2013)
Lady Gaga & Beyonce - Telephone (2010)
Rudimental feat. John Newman - Feel The Love (2012)
Swedish House Mafia feat. John Newman - Don't You Worry Child (2012)
Tinie Tempah - Pass Out (2010)

Thinking about the biggest hits that I've genuinely loved and continued to love over the decade, it's no surprise that they all fall well within the first half of the decade. Maybe it's an age thing, but so little I've heard has remotely appealed in the last 2-3 years that now I look at a top 40 and barely know about half a dozen songs in it, Disclosure aside I'd have very little desire to listen to anything new by any of these now.

I never expected to like Disclosure's 'Settle' anywhere near as much as I did that's still stands out as excellent, 'White Noise' was always my favourite from it and it was great to see this, and them, have some significant success. When I did my end of year chart for 2010 I had 'Telephone' as number one, and whilst nearly a decade later I wouldn't rank it that highly, it remains one of my favourite pop songs, the high point of both artists work and with one of the most incredible videos of all time.

Both Rudimental and John Newman went on to release some other decent stuff, but nothing was ever close to being in the same league as 'Feel It All'. 2012/13 was probably the turning point in life where I was no longer bothered about going to clubs, and as such 'Don't You Worry Child' is the last dance anthem that I've ever really had any great affection for. Listening back, it's a toss up between these two for favourite number one single of the decade. 'Pass Out' was a huge university anthem that hasn't aged one bit, and every time I hear it it's still as incredible as it ever was.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 24th December 2019, 04:01 PM
Post #10
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

Christine & The Queens feat. Perfume Genius - Jonathan (2015)
Crystal Castles feat. Robert Smith - Not In Love (2010)
ionnalee feat. TR/ST - Harvest (2018)
Loyle Carner feat. Jorja Smith - Loose Ends (2019)
The National - Where Is Her Head? (2019)

'Jonathan' was my introduction to Christine via Perfume Genius, who had released one of my favourite albums of the first half of the decade in 'Put Ur Back In 2 It'. It's a gorgeous song as Christine flits between French and English, their voices complement each other perfectly. Crystal Castles may have become somewhat tainted by the allegations made by Alice Glass against fellow bandmate Ethan Kath, but their work in the first half of the decade was sensational. I was never really able to get into their debut but 'Crystal Casltes (II)' was one of my favourite albums of 2010, and their cover of 'Not In Love' became even better when adding the vocals of Robert Smith to it, it would comfortably be in my top 10 listened to songs of the decade if I hadn't completely cocked up the last.fm tags.

Whilst not being quite as much a fan of Jonna Lee in her different guises as a lot of BuzzJack members, each album was good and they all contained some brilliant songs, but for me 'Harvest' is the best song in either hers or TR/STS discographies, an absolute banger. I've grown to love Loyle Carner this year, I think he's a fantastic artist who's lyrics are superb, his collaboration with Jorja Smith was where it all started - easily one of my songs of 2019. 'I Am Easy To Find' is an excellent new direction for The National to take, with each song bar the final one on it a collaboration with a female vocalist, some more well known than others. It's easily the best record of their last three, sounds exceptional live and is a true return to form. I could've picked one of a few songs for this ('I Am Easy To Find', 'You Had Your Soul With You', 'Rylan') but went with 'Where Is Her Head?' with Eve Owen, who has released her debut solo stuff since. The way her vocal's work with Matt's is brilliant - it has certainly become one of my favourite National songs over the last six months.

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 4th January 2020, 08:39 PM

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 28th December 2019, 03:51 PM
Post #11
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

8 - Great Live Acts

Blood Red Shoes - Elijah (2019)
The Chemical Brothers - Got To Keep On (2019)
DMA's - Delete (2016)
Hot Chip - Hungry Child (2019)
Public Service Broadcasting - Night Mail (2013)

5 of the best live acts I've ever seen now.

Kicking off with Blood Red Shoes, I was always a fan but got a bit bored of them and stopped paying attention to them mid-way through the decade. The band had a break and came back with a different sound and more members than just the original two, and their music from the last 18 months is comfortably my favourite of theirs. The best of which is 'Elijah', album closer and set opener, the way it builds up is stunning, a BJSC flop but one of three songs this year I rank comfortably above anything else. They were so good live I travelled 3 1/2 hours to see them again less than a week later. For a long time The Chemical Brothers were the act I'd most love to see live, and finally seeing them at Glastonbury this year was worth the ticket price alone, an incredible set from a band with a ridiculous back catalogue. 'Got To Keep On' from their most recent album a definite highlight of it, and amongst their best of the decade.

On the day of their second album's release, I went to watch DMA's live, a band I quite liked but never exactly loved. Within a year I'd been to see them four times and I'd listened to them twice as much as anyone else over the same period, a brilliant live show that transformed how much I liked the band. 'Delete' is a crowd singalong favourite but I could quite easily have picked about five songs to include in this. Hot Chip have always been capable of quality singles and this years 'Hungry Child' is probably my favourite ever of theirs. Again watching them live is an incredible experience and one I'd been looking forward to for a long time, thoroughly entertaining and a set of songs that sounds brilliant live.

The Public Service Broadcasting gig is the one which I'd still rank as the best I've ever been to, iconic unique music which was an incredible live experience, 'Night Mail' a brilliant song from it and one of my absolute favourites by them.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 29th December 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #12
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

Now on to the five categories where I've made attempt to label songs by genre or mood...

9 - Rock

Foals - Inhaler (2012)
Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart of Life (2016)
Lost Under Heaven - I &I (2016)
Marmozets - Play (2017)
Slaves - Sockets (2015)

Foals have been one of my favourite bands of the decade (though 2019 output very meh in comparison) with a couple of songs which are top 10/20 of the decade contenders. They've had 9 top 5 hits for me but only 'Inhaler' has found its way right to the top, a song I loved instantly - much heavier than their previous output and I very much enjoyed their change of direction. 'Near To The Wild Heart of Life' was my introduction to Japandroids, my single of 2016 and so close to ending the decade in its top 5. Often I don't delve too deep into acts I discover late on's back catalogue but I did with them - their albums all the epitome of quality over quantity, each 8 tracks with absolutely zero filler, an act of the decade for sure.

The decade started with 'Go Tell Fire To The Mountain', Wu Lyf's only album and one of my favourites of '11. Front man Ellery James Roberts embarked on a new project with Ebony Horn and their debut album contained three songs which I absolutely adored in 'Beneath The Concrete', 'Unites' and 'I & I', each of them so incredibly powerful sung in such a unique voice.

I'd listened to songs from Marmozets debut album without being particularly taken in by any of them, however that changed when they released 'Play' to lead their second album, a massive chart hit for me and a band I've listened to a lot since. Slaves have certainly been one of my favourite acts from the latter half of the decade with a couple of superb albums. I love their style, they're thoroughly entertaining and capable of simple fantastic tunes, 'Sockets' was the first of theirs I really liked and remains my favourite.

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 29th December 2019, 09:22 AM

+Quote this post
Colm
post 29th December 2019, 10:04 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

This is a great way to do a retrospective.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 30th December 2019, 07:07 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I think I've heard a lot of the artists from your first post but not particularly the songs, giving the Dream Wife one a listen anyway, sounding very nice!

A good choice of chart hits as well, White Noise and Pass Out in particular are favourites. Don't think I've heard that Crystal Castles song since 2011 so that's bringing back memories!

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 30th December 2019, 08:40 PM
Post #15
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

10 - Electronic

Caribou - Our Love (2014)
Crystal Castles - Plague (2012)
Grimes - Flesh Without Blood (2015)
Jon Hopkins feat. Purity Ring - Breathe This Air (2013)
Röyksopp feat. Susanne Sundfør - Running To The Sea (2013)

When it comes to albums of the decade, Dan Snaith has released a couple of contenders in both 'Swim' and 'Out Love', the title track from the latter the standout Caribou song. I have discussed Crystal Castles in here already, they really were a fantastic duo who produced some of the best and darkest electronic music around who kept getting better with each album, 'Plague' their best as a duo. I haven't got quite as much into Grimes as many posters on this forum, but she has released some bangers over the last 10 years, none moreso than 'Flesh Without Blood' which has elevated itself to be my favourite of hers.

If I had done a top X songs of the decade rather than something like this, Purity Ring would have the most entries in the top section of it, the best of which is 'Breathe This Air' with Jon Hopkins. Hopkins' album 'Immunity' is a thing of beauty, and is so easy to get lost in, but the addition of vocals to 'Breathe This Air' from one of the best acts around managed to make it even more perfect. Looking at my personal chart history I'm gobsmacked this wasn't a number one, though did spend 6 weeks in the top 3 and 5 months in it, I'm going to have to check what held it off now... 'Elevate' by St. Lucia and then 'Reflektor' by Arcade Fire. Hmmm.

Röyksopp released some of my favourite singles of the previous decade and had a couple of further massive personal chart number one's for me in the first half of this decade, 'Do It Again' with Robyn, and 'Running To The Sea' with Susanne Sundfør, a vocialist who suits their music so well. It's a beautiful song that I don't think I could begin to get tired of.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 30th December 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #16
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Shepeteherd @ Dec 30 2019, 07:07 PM) *
I think I've heard a lot of the artists from your first post but not particularly the songs, giving the Dream Wife one a listen anyway, sounding very nice!

A good choice of chart hits as well, White Noise and Pass Out in particular are favourites. Don't think I've heard that Crystal Castles song since 2011 so that's bringing back memories!

Thanks for the comment, glad you're enjoying some of it. If you like that Dream Wife song then 'Hey Heartbreaker' and 'Fire' I'd say are their next best and were also singles.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 30th December 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #17
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Colm @ Dec 29 2019, 10:04 AM) *
This is a great way to do a retrospective.

Thanks Colm, good to see you posting. Hope you're enjoying it, did feel I wanted to do something a bit different than a standard countdown.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 3rd January 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello there!

Great list!
Really like the categories format, it's something fresh and new compared to the other Year-end lists out there.

Here are my favourites from each category:

FONTAINES D.C. - Boys In the Better Land

2 - Female Solo Artists
Robyn - Dancing On My Own

3 - Male Solo Artists
Sampha - (No One Knows Me) Like The Piano

4 - 1990s Acts
blink-182 - Bored To Death
The Chemical Brothers feat. Beck - Wide Open
Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams - Get Lucky

5 - 2010s Acts
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?

6 - Chart Hits
Disclosure feat. AlunaGeorge - White Noise
Lady Gaga & Beyonce - Telephone
Rudimental feat. John Newman - Feel The Love
Swedish House Mafia feat. John Newman - Don't You Worry Child
Tinie Tempah - Pass Out
(aka all of them)

Loyle Carner feat. Jorja Smith - Loose Ends

8 - Great Live Acts
The Chemical Brothers - Got To Keep On
DMA's - Delete

9 - Rock
Marmozets - Play

10 - Electronic
Grimes - Flesh Without Blood

Enjoyed reaching this, nice job!

This post has been edited by Sergej: 3rd January 2020, 01:47 PM

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 4th January 2020, 03:46 PM
Post #19
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

Thanks Sergej, good to see you liking so many.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 4th January 2020, 04:15 PM
Post #20
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

11 - Hip Hop

Danny Brown feat. Purity Ring - 25 Bucks (2014)
Dave feat. Ruelle - Lesley (2019)
Dizzee Rascal - Space (2017)
Jay-Z & Kanye West - Niggas In Paris (2012)
Little Simz - 101 FM (2019)

Given it's hardly my go-to genre of choice I've surprised myself when I've looked back at just how much hip-hop I've enjoyed over the last decade, the last 15 months have felt fairly vintage with so many albums I've found myself loving.

If it wasn't for the Purity Ring feature on '25 Bucks' I'd likely have never discovered Danny Brown, but he's turned into someone I always check out new music by. His distinctive voice works perfectly with the sound of Purity Ring, who again harshly denied a personal chart number one, spending 6 weeks at no. 2 behind a song still to be announced in here. I've been listening to Dave for 2.5 years now and have always been impressed by his lyricism, especially for someone so young, but has deservedly got success, acclaim and awards. The likes of 'Question Time' and then 'Black' are incredible, but the 10 minute story depicted in 'Lesley' is one of the most powerful songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to, a rarity where I just sit and concentrate all the way through.

Dizzee has always been something of a favourite of mine although the quality of his output does fluctuate wildly, but 2017 was a great return, 'Space' not like anything he'd released in the previous 10 years and by far his best song since the beginnings of his career. It'd unlikely for any type of hip-hop recap to not include at least one of Jay-Z or Kanye West, their 2012 collaboration 'Niggas In Paris' one of the best songs from either artist and still sounds as good as it did originally. Of all the great hip-hop released in the last year, 'Grey AREA' by Little Simz is comfortably my favourite, her songs have such a great variety to them and '101 FM' has grown to be one of my songs of the year.

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 4th January 2020, 04:15 PM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:37 PM