BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Worst Choice Made.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
NellyEverySundae
post 27th January 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #21
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675
Tbh, Notorious' performance on SYTYCD is the best one they've ever done and that clearly translated with the audience aswell.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 27th January 2015, 10:40 PM
Post #22
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Gentleman being released surely HAS to be the worst decision? It was their first single to miss the Radio 1 a-list, meaning less support for Disco Love and less support for the album, and their eventual snubs with the two most recent singles. They never really recovered from Gentleman sadly - Disco Love did well but even then, it sold over a third of its total sales in one week drama.gif

+Quote this post
April
post 27th January 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #23
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905
Ok, here's my proper analysis then, which I know you've all been waiting for. In chronological order:

01. Starting the "Work" promo too early
02. Releasing "Forever Is Over" after a very pop first album. "Ego" would've been a better transitional single.
03. Changing their image from 'the girls next door' to sluts during 'Wordshaker' era.
04. Not releasing a third single from 'Wordshaker'
05. Releasing "Missing You" over "Higher" as a pre-album single when that was the obvious smash hit
06. Using OA/OS release strategy for "Notorious"
07. Trying to release "My Heart Takes Over" pre-album; it should've been "Faster"
08. Not pushing a fourth single from 'On Your Radar' during the dead January period in 2012
09. Releasing "Gentleman" as a single - it always should've been "Not Giving Up", which was a fan favourite and sounded like a Summer smash
10. Waiting for ages after "Disco Love" to release the fourth single from 'Living for the Weekend'
11. Picking a shit single to lead the greatest hits era
12. Releasing the album and single during the same week

You can pick which is the worst of those, because they're all pretty bad! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
P@ul
post 27th January 2015, 11:31 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,742
I'm sure if Gentleman wasn't released,people woulda been saying "Gentleman should have been released" "It's so different and unique that it would've made them huge following their #1" There's so many "What ifs" with The Sats. I also think people would have "Not releasing Not Giving Up" as a big mistake if they hadn't released it even though we all know how that ended laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 27th January 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I do think 'Gentleman' was the real final nail in the coffin for them unfortunately, that was the biggest of all the mistakes they'd made.

+Quote this post
April
post 27th January 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #26
Group icon
I'd rather NGU was released and $ma$hed in at #19 than be left as an album track with no video.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 27th January 2015, 11:38 PM
Post #27
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
I agree there, at least it was given a try and did relatively well all things considered (ie. no airplay). Better than not releasing a new single and thinking "what if?", like my fave Cheryl smile.gif

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 27th January 2015, 11:40 PM
Post #28
Group icon
get me started, hot like fire
User: 17,262
Oh, I love this! cheer.gif Although, I do not agree on all, let's start with this :

QUOTE(April @ Jan 27 2015, 11:27 PM) *
03. Changing their image from 'the girls next door' to sluts
BEYONCE AND NICKI WOULDN'T BE PROUD, APRIL! ohmy.gif #feminism

QUOTE(April @ Jan 27 2015, 11:27 PM) *
Ok, here's my proper analysis then, which I know you've all been waiting for. In chronological order:

01. Starting the "Work" promo too early
02. Releasing "Forever Is Over" after a very pop first album. "Ego" would've been a better transitional single.
03. Changing their image from 'the girls next door' to sluts during 'Wordshaker' era.
04. Not releasing a third single from 'Wordshaker'
05. Releasing "Missing You" over "Higher" as a pre-album single when that was the obvious smash hit
06. Using OA/OS release strategy for "Notorious"
07. Trying to release "My Heart Takes Over" pre-album; it should've been "Faster"
08. Not pushing a fourth single from 'On Your Radar' during the dead January period in 2012
09. Releasing "Gentleman" as a single - it always should've been "Not Giving Up", which was a fan favourite and sounded like a Summer smash
10. Waiting for ages after "Disco Love" to release the fourth single from 'Living for the Weekend'
11. Picking a shit single to lead the greatest hits era
12. Releasing the album and single during the same week

You can pick which is the worst of those, because they're all pretty bad! laugh.gif

I think I can explain most of these. I don't feel like all of them are proper mistakes per say.

01. Wasn't it supposed to be the 4th single, but then they were offered an amazing opportunity (Comic Relief single) and took it? I don't feel like it was such a mistake. They ended up selling about 290k of Just Can't Get Enough and despite the peak of Work, it still ended up on about 115k - which is all good for a 5th single from an album that had already sell loads. I mean their plans changed, it happens! unsure.gif

04. I think seeing Ego selling loads on itself and somehow barely selling the album probably made them think nothing on the album would sell it... I don't see it as a mistake, but more like them not taking a risk of getting a flop when they had just saved their flop ass after 'Wordshaker' with 'Ego'. Considering how it usually turns out when they take risks (Gentleman), maybe it wasn't such a bad idea, no?

05. That can be considered a mistake, but I feel like The Saturdays had for a very long time this whole "we will be releasing our best track for the 2nd single, when it will be time to sell the album". With that in mind, it makes sense for them to release 'Higher' only as the 2nd single. However, it's obvious 'Higher' would have done even more better had it been the first single, true. Although, I do wonder (and this is open to discussion), will 'Missing You' really have done well had it been released after 'Higher' instead of before? Also, would have the album sold as much during the end of the year if 'Missing You' was the single selling it, instead of 'Higher'?

08. You know my opinions on this. I think this wasn't a mistake at all. If anything, the mistake would be '30 Days' not being the amazing transcending song it needed to be.

10. Not sure if it was a proper mistake or not, the album looked like it couldn't be saved anyway... However, I wonder if they waited this long so they could try to make radios forget about the flop of LFTW? thinking.gif It's possible they also only released 'Not Giving Up' because they decided to do a Greatest Hits and needed the best promo/hype to announce it.

This post has been edited by Hurricane: 27th January 2015, 11:43 PM

+Quote this post
P@ul
post 27th January 2015, 11:40 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(Cameron @ Jan 27 2015, 10:24 PM) *
Letting Marvin visit Rochelle in New York.

THIS.Alaia Mai=END OF THE SATURDAYS
(Full blame on Marvin & Rochelle not the innocent baby)

This post has been edited by Satsfan7: 27th January 2015, 11:43 PM

+Quote this post
P@ul
post 27th January 2015, 11:47 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Just while we're at it..

We might as well blame
Priscilla Renea Hamilton,Lukas Nathanson and Scott Effman the writers of Gentleman.
Ambience the producer of Gentleman.
Una Foden for never shutting up (full stop laugh.gif) raving about the song and influencing management before it premiered.

This post has been edited by Satsfan7: 27th January 2015, 11:47 PM

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 27th January 2015, 11:48 PM
Post #31
Group icon
laugh.gif kink.gif
I think it's easy to throw the fault at the babies or Rochelle more specifically, but if anything, it's Una managing both the band and Aoife that clearly showed them they could all do it if they wanted to.

Jokes aside, I don't believe the pregnancies were a nail in the coffin per say. All women should be able to get pregnant while still having an active career. The timing, however, is important, true...

+Quote this post
April
post 27th January 2015, 11:57 PM
Post #32
Group icon
QUOTE(Hurricane @ Jan 27 2015, 11:40 PM) *
Oh, I love this! cheer.gif Although, I do not agree on all, let's start with this :

BEYONCE AND NICKI WOULDN'T BE PROUD, APRIL! ohmy.gif #feminism

It's hard to preach feminism when they're whoring themselves in such outfits for a #1. The girls were popular in their cutesy 'girls next door' image - as shown by their most successful eras being Chasing Lights and Headlines. When they were slutty or too grown up, they flopped.

About your explain aways - I guess it's subjective, but I disagree with most of it.

+Quote this post
post 28th January 2015, 12:01 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
There was no going back after Gentleman.

They did their very best with minimal AirPlay for Disco and scored one last mini-hit selling 160k as a swan song. The general public wouldn't even know they'd tried after that. Nobody knows the next 3 singles.

If they wanted to take a risk they need to wait until they'd had not just one massive single but a string of them.

Rihanna and Beyoncé can release risky flop singles every now and then because they had strings of massive hits backing them up. Just because one of the 4 previous releases had been a hit it shouldn't have made them confident enough to release Gentleman. What were their management thinking? If they had followed WAU up with two more top 3 singles and the album had done decently, taking a risk isn't risky - because you're in an okay position to have the odd flop. What About Us put them in the most potentially positive position they'd ever been in and they could have easily cemented pop-power by following it up with songs like Not Giving, Wildfire and Disco Love which were much more obvious. But they threw it away with Gentleman.

This post has been edited by Joe.: 28th January 2015, 12:10 AM

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 28th January 2015, 12:07 AM
Post #34
Group icon
QUOTE(April @ Jan 27 2015, 11:57 PM) *
It's hard to preach feminism when they're whoring themselves in such outfits for a #1. The girls were popular in their cutesy 'girls next door' - as shown by their most successful eras being Chasing Lights and Headlines. When they won't slutty or too grown up, they flopped.

I see. I think that's where we see it differently. I never felt like they whoring themselves for #1, but definitely went for a more sexy image - which they should be free to do so and which I didn't mind at all per say. I think the actual mistake was the transition between the 'girls next door' image to this more 'sexy and grown-up' one which happened really fast.

+Quote this post
goldfish
post 28th January 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19,424
1. I think not released On Your Radar off the back of All Fired Up. momentum was great.
2. also not releasing Living For The Weekend (and putting a tour on sale) off the back of What About Us.

loads of people don't like Missing You as a single but wasn't it a #1 on airplay? something none of their other singles have come close to. It's my least favourite of all their singles (and even album tracks to be fair) but it did ok and got Headlines! to no.3

also I love Gentleman so I find it hard to say anything bad about it (my head it telling me it wasnt a good single choice but my heart is saying how much I love it). I think the promo campaigns for Gentleman, Disco Love, Not Giving Up, and WAYWF were all really poor. After they got their no.1 it was like they stopped trying with their radio tours and hard pushes.

+Quote this post
April
post 28th January 2015, 11:23 AM
Post #36
Group icon
^

Dance songs like "All Fired Up" don't sell the album though. They needed to release a more pop hit like "Faster" or "White Lies" to immediately precede the album.
The album wasn't ready after "What About Us" - I think "Disco Love" was only recorded in late Spring/early Summer. But I agree that they should've released tour tickets off the back of WAU.

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 28th January 2015, 12:50 PM
Post #37
Group icon
'White Lies' and 'Faster' are, to these ears, dance-pop songs, they just have an actual proper chorus whereas 'All Fired Up' feels more like a chant.

I don't think it's that easy... unsure.gif Ballads also sell albums (apparently), yet My Heart Takes Over didn't.
I think in a case like The Saturdays, you need hype, buzz and profile to sell albums instead of a proper type of song.

(Also, I remember reading on Popjustice that 'Disco Love' was recorded in June I believe. happy.gif )

+Quote this post
April
post 28th January 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #38
Group icon
QUOTE(Hurricane @ Jan 28 2015, 12:50 PM) *
'White Lies' and 'Faster' are, to these ears, dance-pop songs, they just have an actual proper chorus whereas 'All Fired Up' feels more like a chant.

I don't think it's that easy... unsure.gif Ballads also sell albums (apparently), yet My Heart Takes Over didn't.
I think in a case like The Saturdays, you need hype, buzz and profile to sell albums instead of a proper type of song.

(Also, I remember reading on Popjustice that 'Disco Love' was recorded in June I believe. happy.gif )

Stop disagreeing with me! cry.gif

Ballads sell the album AFTER release, not before. Look at "Issues" - it managed to get Chasing Lights a new peak as well as being a hit in its own right. On Your Radar was their album with the most potential, and it's sad how much they f***ed it up! It should've been:

03. Faster or White Lies
04. My Heart Takes Over or Last Call
05. Get Ready, Get Set

MHTO/LC would've been ideal to promote during Una's pregnancy too, since there would've been no movement involved in the performances. MHTO wouldn't have even needed her for live performances except for the chorus harmonies. Then she returns with a bang and GRGS smashes the charts.

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 28th January 2015, 01:49 PM
Post #39
Group icon
I love you tho April! wub.gif

+Quote this post
post 28th January 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Also, ballads have to be good. My Heart Takes Over isn't good or memorable enough.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 01:53 PM