BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Worst Choice Made.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Hurricane
post 28th January 2015, 02:34 PM
Post #41
Group icon
get me started, hot like fire
User: 17,262

QUOTE(Joe. @ Jan 28 2015, 02:19 PM) *
Also, ballads have to be good. My Heart Takes Over isn't good or memorable enough.

But that's subjective and mostly down to radios stations and even then, a lot of other factors play in, as releasing something at the end of the year when the playlists are full of much bigger acts and radio hosts won't drop one of them for a wannabe girlgroup.

Disco Love is an AMAZING pop song. It didn't sell LFTW at all, despite the fact it actually had a #1 single on it as well.
Higher, however, sold Headlines on the other hand.
My Heart Takes Over didn't sell On Your Radar. And, people actually BELIEVED a ballad would sell an album, even if released before the album. I'll try to find MHTO's thread and bring some posts out to observe that.
Up (pop song), despite the praise it gets, didn't really sell Chasing Lights. CL only actually started selling lots with Issues. In fact, it peaked when Issues was released no So is it a ballad released after the album that works? Can we really say that after only one example? drama.gif That's where I'm going basically kink.gif

My point is just that it goes further than just "Pop songs sell albums", "Ballads released after album are sure album-selling", etc. It's not as easy... unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Hurricane: 28th January 2015, 02:36 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post 28th January 2015, 03:02 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I think sometimes it's a combination of having more than 1 big hit on the album. When 'Issues' became a hit it meant that the album wasn't a one-hit album and that gets people buying. Headlines was the same as Missing You, at the time was a hit, too.

It's the same with Girls Aloud's Tangled Up, which, even though 'Call The Shots' was probably big in helping the album sell anyway, when they had their second big hit from the album 'Can't Speak French' that's when the album got a massive sales boost. (Think it pushed it to Platinum).

Sadly I just don't think 'Disco Love' was quite big enough to sell Living For The Weekend, even though it did well given the circumstances. It probably DID sell some copies of the album, god knows what would have happen if it flopped like Gentleman... The album would be on 8k now.

This post has been edited by Joe.: 28th January 2015, 03:05 PM

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 28th January 2015, 05:51 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

America.

If they went over there in August 2012 for the VMA's and then spent the next few months performing at clubs/radio interviews, they could still have performed on Jay Leno and Today Show but there would be airplay to support the song and keep it stable. Who knows, maybe the song would have broken the Billboard Charts before their TV promo even started and Jay Leno/Today Show could have turned it into a huge hit. They could then have had like a Platinum single, charted worldwide, developed a bigger fanbase, supported Bieber on tour and probably have been the worlds biggest girl group.

Instead they go over in August 2012, spend until January recording a reality show (I don't understand why in the space of five months the most interesting things they did were surfing and setting Mollie up on dates?) and then launched with a few TV shows and disappeared home.

There was clearly an interest in the song with it's iTunes performance and YouTube views but they f***ed everything up. They went from being on red carpets in America and mingling with A-Listers to being back on This Morning and flopping in the UK Charts in the space of six months. I will NEVER forgive them for that. sleep.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post 28th January 2015, 07:45 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

I honestly don't think there is JUST 1 single thing that was a mistake. All of their lead singles have been poorly comparison to the second singles (bar ITIL but that's an unpopular opinion)

Then there was Gentlemen. f***ING SHITTY SONG COOL VIDEO f***ING GENTLEMAN THE f***ING NOT ACTUAL GENTLEMAN FLOPPY ASS BISH! give me a time machine please.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 28th January 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #45
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

Should went

30 Days
What About Us
Disco Love
Not Giving Up
--Album--
Then released Wildfire but get Calvin Harris to do a remix (like he did for Florence and The Machine) whilst recording him doing the 'waldfiya waldfiya' bit. (they would obviously be huge and could afford calvin)

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 28th January 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #46
Group icon

QUOTE(Cameron @ Jan 28 2015, 08:35 PM) *
Then released Wildfire

bye

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 28th January 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #47
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

QUOTE(Hurricane @ Jan 28 2015, 09:04 PM) *
bye

Hi

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 28th January 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #48
Group icon

DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD KISS YOU OR SLAP YOU CAMERON

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 28th January 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #49
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

QUOTE(Hurricane @ Jan 28 2015, 09:44 PM) *

Just glad you didn't say stab like Sean did a while ago cry.gif

+Quote this post
April
post 28th January 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #50
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905

QUOTE(Hurricane @ Jan 28 2015, 09:44 PM) *

Slap him. LOVE IS ONLY TRUE IF IT HURRRRRTS.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 28th January 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #51
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

QUOTE(April @ Jan 28 2015, 09:54 PM) *
Slap him. LOVE IS ONLY TRUE IF IT HURRRRRTS.

IF THIS IS LOVE, THEN I DON'T WANNA KNOW WHAT ISSSS *dramatic head swoosh*

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 28th January 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182

QUOTE(Cameron @ Jan 28 2015, 09:51 PM) *
Just glad you didn't say stab like Sean did a while ago cry.gif

+Quote this post
Martyn
post 28th January 2015, 10:43 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66

The Work single debacle was our first warning. Announced in one way or another as their second, third, fourth and finally fifth single.

It was strange how their was a bigger gap between Just Can't Get Enough and Work's release and Work and Forever is Overs. There was such an image clash as well, I know progression in image is good, but it confused people. Even up to the end of Ego there was a clash between how they acted/the songs and how they dressed.

Bob-chelle. Yes personality is good, but she decided she hated everyone and wanted them to know, it needed to be reigned in much quicker than it was.

I think Headlines whilst not a perfect era, put them on such a great footing. Having an airplay number 1 was such a great result. They really should have pushed a 3rd single from it. Be it One Shot or Here Standing, both would have been a top 10 hit in the January.

I'm half asleep so I will stop for now.

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 28th January 2015, 10:48 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182

QUOTE(Martyn @ Jan 28 2015, 10:43 PM) *
The Work single debacle was our first warning. Announced in one way or another as their second, third, fourth and finally fifth single.

It was strange how their was a bigger gap between Just Can't Get Enough and Work's release and Work and Forever is Overs. There was such an image clash as well, I know progression in image is good, but it confused people. Even up to the end of Ego there was a clash between how they acted/the songs and how they dressed.

Bob-chelle. Yes personality is good, but she decided she hated everyone and wanted them to know, it needed to be reigned in much quicker than it was.

I think Headlines whilst not a perfect era, put them on such a great footing. Having an airplay number 1 was such a great result. They really should have pushed a 3rd single from it. Be it One Shot or Here Standing, both would have been a top 10 hit in the January.

I'm half asleep so I will stop for now.

I'd never considered a third single from Headlines, it wouldn't have harmed their plans for Notorious filming and the launch of On Your Radar, it'd just have shortened the gap between eras!

+Quote this post
(Zach)
post 29th January 2015, 12:25 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,512

I didn't really follow them pre-Headlines! so I can't speak on that.

Honestly, nothing should've been done differently during the Headlines! era because it was a huge success for them. There really weren't any other single-worthy tracks on the album anyway. I don't think switching Higher and Missing You would've made much of a difference either.

As for On Your Radar, I'm still baffled as to why My Heart Takes Over flopped, especially in Q4. Had they not released it as a single I wouldn't have understood why. They really should've released another single after MHTO though, probably Faster.

30 Days wasn't a mistake because it went Top 10 and kept them relevant between the floppage of MHTO and What About Us. I think they had plans to re-release OYR (if the 30 Days artwork is anything to go by) but that was scrapped for obvious reasons.

Gentleman is hands down their biggest mistake. The first time I heard it I just kept asking myself "WTF" over and over again. Absolutely horrendous single choice. Also, four pre-album singles is absolutely ridiculous, regardless of the situation.

Releasing What Are You Waiting For? after Not Giving Up was also not a smart move. It's obvious that their dance-pop material is no longer connecting with people so they should've tried something different. That's their only chance of getting Radio 1 back on board.

As for the pregnancies, I know this can cause big debates. BUT they had to know when they decided to have children that it was going to affect their brand and their profitability. So that was more of a purposeful thing than a mistake.

This post has been edited by (Zach): 29th January 2015, 12:26 AM

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 29th January 2015, 01:43 AM
Post #56
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

Hurricane

Despite the mass amount of promo for 'Higher' it hardly helped 'Headlines'.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 29th January 2015, 01:47 AM
Post #57
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

1. Just Can't Get Enough.
2. Not releasing Notorious physically at the same time as the download.
3. Not releasing Ego as a prealbum single, then they could have released One Shot (atleast).
4. Not recording a couple more songs for Headlines! and calling it a full album, they could have even threw a few demos on there and we wouldn't have known... then they could have released Puppet as a single just before Notorious!
5. Not releasing On Your Radar after All Fired Up.
6. Not releasing more singles from On Your Radar, then releasing "30 Days" then waiting AGES to release "What About Us".
7. Gentleman... or atleast the music video.
8. Releasing WAYWF instead of 808 (feat. Angel Haze).

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 29th January 2015, 02:20 AM
Post #58
Group icon

QUOTE(Wall-e @ Jan 29 2015, 01:43 AM) *
Hurricane

Despite the mass amount of promo for 'Higher' it hardly helped 'Headlines'.

Lee hi.gif

Headlines! was around 50-60k when Higher was sent to radios and around 85k when Higher had finally been released.

By the time Higher was just out of the top 100, Headlines was around 165k.

Higher stood around for a bit in the top 200, so did Headlines!, leading up those sales to 181k.

It's now over and Headlines! has sold 208k. I, personally, call that a success. Sure the re-edition helped, but 'Higher' was the single promoting that re-edition as well. unsure.gif

How did Higher hardly helped 'Headlines!? unsure.gif

Stay a flop, Lee. #WallicaneIsOverCuzYouWereACunt

This post has been edited by Hurricane: 29th January 2015, 02:27 AM

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 29th January 2015, 02:28 AM
Post #59
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

during promo week 'Headlines' couldn't even return back to top 40

GURL BYE,

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 29th January 2015, 03:29 AM
Post #60
Group icon

QUOTE(Wall-e @ Jan 29 2015, 02:28 AM) *
during promo week 'Headlines' couldn't even return back to top 40

GURL BYE,

So? unsure.gif
It still sold lots laugh.gif

Maybe it didn't return back to top 40 because it was a very busy time as shown with Higher barely missing the top 10.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:07 AM