BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Britney Spears - Singles Rate: THE RESULTS, FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 12!!!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jessie Where
post 24th March 2024, 12:58 PM
Post #201
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Love love love 'Born to...' wub.gif

'Womanizer' is a pile of crap.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 24th March 2024, 07:54 PM
Post #202
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

I'm so excited, I'm in too deep

7. (You Drive Me) Crazy | 9.02 Highest Scores: 11: (Herbs), 10: (Nina West, Anita Hanjaab, Jessie Where, Nick F1, GTH, Lukuzz), Lowest Scores: 6: (JLJ)

Heading into the 9 averages now at #7 with (You Drive Me) Crazy, released in August 1999 as the 3rd single from Britney's debut album Baby One More Time. Written and produced by Max Martin, Per Magnusson and David Kreuger with additional writing by Jörgen Elofsson and remix by Martin and Rami Yacoub. It was also featured on the soundtrack to the 1999 teen romantic comedy "Drive Me Crazy". The song was remixed for its single release titled "The Stop Remix". Upon release it garnered positive reviews from music critics & became a commercial success worldwide by reaching top 10 peaks in more than 17 countries such as Belgium, France, Netherlands, Sweden, Canada, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, New Zealand, UK & in the USA. The music video features cameo appearances of actors Melissa Joan Hart and Adrian Grenier, who star in the movie "Drive Me Crazy", which is named for the song. As part of promotion for the song, Spears performed the song at the 1999 MTV Europe Music Awards and 1999 Billboard Music Awards.

This track & the #8 entry 'BTMYH' were constantly neck and neck throughout the competition, but about half way through this started getting much higher scores & beat that other track by 6.5 points. This song especially in its remixed form acts as a spiritual sequel to her debut hit 'Baby One More Time' with its immediately distinctive thumping intro, however, this isn't doesn't pale in comparison by any means, as its a fantastic song in its own right with its simple yet effective formula of bouncy beats, edgy synths, recurring cowbells & smart production that helps this soar above the usual teen pop fodder from this time period & thanks to Britney's strong vocals and charisma the song bursts with infectious energy at the right moments. This is become one of Britney's most prominent and celebrated gems from her early career that further cemented her ongoing chart dominance that would continue to flourish with each release.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 24th March 2024, 08:01 PM
Post #203
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Great result for '(You Drive Me) Crazy'! The Stop remix is such a fab uplift to the original.

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 24th March 2024, 08:49 PM
Post #204
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

Overprotected, Slave and Crazy are all iconic!

Always found Piece Of Me and Born To Make You Happy overrated

Womanizer I loved at the time but hasn’t aged as well as others

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 24th March 2024, 10:49 PM
Post #205
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Good finish in the Top 10 for '(You Drive Me) Crazy'!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 25th March 2024, 09:39 PM
Post #206
Group icon

It's Britney, bitch

6. Gimme More | 9.25 Highest Scores: 11: (Chapman, Lukuzz), 10: (Nina West, spiceboy, Jade, Jessie Where, Slayer, Nick F1, GTH, Nick Jonas, blacksquare, Tafty, Scene), Lowest Scores: 5: (Anita Hanjaab)

At #6 is Gimme More, released in August 2007 as the lead single from Britney's 5th studio album Blackout. Written by Jim Beanz, Marcella "Ms. Lago" Araica, Nate "Danja" Hills and Keri Hilson, and was also produced by Danja. The song recorded in 2006 during Britney's second pregnancy and was one of the first solo productions by Danja whose vocals are also used on the outro. The single's only promotion was at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards, which was panned by many critics, with one deeming it as one of the worst performances to grace the MTV awards. The music video mixed to negative reviews from critics, who panned the lack of storyline & dancing. Despite all this the song itself received critical acclaim & became a massive commercial success worldwide by reaching top 5 peaks in 14 countries such as Canada, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, Australia, UK, Switzerland, France & in the USA where it peaked at #3, becoming her 2nd highest charting single at the time. After her MTV performance, Cara Cunningham (then known as Chris Crocker) uploaded a video on YouTube in response to the criticism titled "Leave Britney Alone!", which made her an Internet celebrity and attracted attention from the media.

That iconic opening line "It's Britney Bitch" has to be one of the most brilliant lines in the history of pop music, then the hypnotic electronic beats and fuzzy basslines kicks in and you instantly know that you're in for something very different to Britney's previous work & its fantastic. The brooding futuristic production, pulsating rhythms & breathy vocals gives everything a slick and thrilling sound at the same time, and sets the perfect tone for what to expect from her 'Blackout' which was very ahead of its time. The song like the album itself is a pure masterpiece and despite being released at what was perhaps her darkest time period in the public eye, she still managed to deliver something incredible and you have to commend her for that.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 25th March 2024, 09:40 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 25th March 2024, 09:45 PM
Post #207
Group icon

Right then guys we now down to our final 5 & before they get announced here's the results 6-10:

06. Gimme More - 9.25
07. (You Drive Me) Crazy - 9.02
08. Born To Make You Happy - 8.75
09. Womanizer - 8.708
10. I'm A Slave 4 U - 8.625

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 25th March 2024, 09:47 PM
Post #208
Group icon

Here's what's left in the running:

Baby One More Time
Oops I Did It Again
Stronger
Toxic
Everytime

Baby One More Time VS Oops I Did It Again VS In The Zone

Who will win, stay tuned to find out?

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th March 2024, 09:48 PM
Post #209
Group icon
Break the tension

What an utter banger and three quarters wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th March 2024, 09:54 PM
Post #210
Group icon
Break the tension

Preferred top 5:

5. Oops
4. Everytime
3. Baby...
2. Toxic
1. Stronger

+Quote this post
Jade
post 25th March 2024, 10:26 PM
Post #211
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Love love love 'Gimme More' wub.gif and I have a soft spot for the video as I think it suits the song even if it's not the most eventful.

Preferred top 5:

01. Toxic
02. Everytime
03. Baby One More Time
04. Oops I Did It Again
05. Stronger

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 26th March 2024, 11:06 PM
Post #212
Group icon

I'm not that innocent

5. Oops I Did It Again | 9.395 Highest Scores: 11: (Anita Hanjaab, Roba), 10: (Nina West, spiceboy, Slayer, Nick F1, TimConArtist, GTH, pippa, Nick Jonas, Mack, Pandamic Tension, Tafty, Eduardo), Lowest Scores: 7: (Jessie Where, blacksquare, Lukuzz)

Let's kick off the all important top 5 in almighty style with Oops I Did It Again, released in April 2000 as the lead single from Britney's 2nd studio album of the same name, and her 6th single overall. Written and produced by Max Martin and Rami Yacoub. The lyrics refer to a woman who views love as a game, and she decides to use that to her advantage by playing with the emotions of a boy who likes her. The bridge features spoken dialogue which references the hit 1997 film 'Titanic'. Upon its release it received mainly positive reviews from music critics & became a massive commercial success worldwide by topping the charts in at least 20 countries including Australia, Belgium, Canada, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland & in the UK, becoming her 3rd chart topper there. In the USA it only managed a #9 peak due to Jive Records not issuing a physical release, as they were focused on album sales, a tactic which worked as her 2nd album sold over 1.32 Million copies in its first week there. The song was nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at the 43rd Annual Grammy Awards in 2001. The iconic accompanying music video was directed by Nigel Dick; it depicts Britney dancing on Mars dressed in a red bodysuit. It went on to receive three nominations at the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards.

Probably one of the most meta pop moments of all-time, its something that would have never existed without 'Baby One More Time', as despite having a similar formula to it, this manages to take the essence of what worked before, while at the same time takes some unexpected and unorthodox deviations to create one of Britney's most iconic and signature career hits that successfully continued the momentum built up by her first album & singles. Britney was simply too big to fail at the time and whatever she released it would have been successful anyway. However, now that her direction and sound was firmly established there was no going back. There was a lost riding on 'Oops' being the first new single to launch a new album cycle, the title alone is a knowing, self-referential nod to the role that the track was fulfilling. It successfully evolves her sound with one of the most recognisable intros in pop music, the thumping double synth stabs, catchy chorus and that tempo sustained throughout is glorious thanks to the stellar production. Then there's that now iconic tongue in cheek spoken interlude between Britney and her lover (voiced by Max Martin), which went onto become a pop-culture phenomenon in its own right. This has to be the lead single, it wouldn't have made any sense in any other context and what a brilliant offering it was, an incredibly fun pop song.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 26th March 2024, 11:08 PM
Post #213
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Happy with the placing for Drive Me Crazy. I still Stan the Britney/Melissa connection

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 26th March 2024, 11:50 PM
Post #214
Group icon
Break the tension

I know 'Oops' is an iconic moment for her, but it's never a huuuuge fave of mine.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 27th March 2024, 12:17 AM
Post #215
Group icon
Rob aah

OIDIA is such an amazing pop track and the video is fab too.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 27th March 2024, 04:41 PM
Post #216
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Amazing top 5 but I would replace Stronger with another tbh. Shocked it outperformed Oops. ohmy.gif

Hoping:

01. Everytime
02. Toxic
03. BOMT
04. Stronger

I think Toxic will win though.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 27th March 2024, 04:49 PM
Post #217
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(Scene @ Mar 27 2024, 04:41 PM) *
Amazing top 5 but I would replace Stronger with another tbh. Shocked it outperformed Oops. ohmy.gif

'Stronger' got my 11 that should've gone to 'Gimme More' because it NEEDED to get the placing it deserves! I really hope it can push for #3 but I suspect #4 is where it drops. Which is still a great result! An all timer. Pop masterpiece. wub.gif

Honestly I'm not mad with anything that's left. I have preferences, but honestly, they all deserve their rightful win.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 27th March 2024, 10:40 PM
Post #218
Group icon

My loneliness ain't killing me no more

4. Stronger | 9.5 Highest Scores: 11: (Nina West, Jessie Where, One For Sorrow, Tafty, Lukuzz), 10: (spiceboy, Slayer, Nick F1, JLJ, Nick Jonas, blacksquare, Mack, Chapman, Eduardo), Lowest Scores: 5: (Scene)

At #4 is one of my personal all-time faves - Stronger, released in October 2000 as the 3rd single from Britney's 2nd studio album Oops I Did It Again. Written and produced by Max Martin & Rami Yacoub. The song was one of the several tracks recorded in Sweden with Max & Yami at Cheiron Studios. The track features self-empowerment lyrics about a girl who is tired of her cheating boyfriend and decides to move on without him. Upon release it received acclaim from music critics, with many deeming it the best song on the album & became a global success, reaching top 5 peaks in Austria, Germany & Sweden, while reaching top 10 peaks in Ireland, Switzerland, Finland and in the UK. In the USA it peaked at #11 on the Top 100, becoming the album's 2nd highest charting hit there. The song ranked at number 37 on Rolling Stone's "The 50 Most Inspirational LGBTQ Songs of All Time" list.

One of Britney's greatest achievements in pop music and its something that became a lot more meaningful long after its release. Opening with that glorious snarling electric guitar riff then the aggressive thumping beat kicks in and you can already tell that you're in for something very different to what she's done before with its heightened drama as she belts out the chorus with almighty confidence & never lets up until the middle eight before coming back with a new melody and distorted beats & therefore this pop masterpiece takes you on one hel of thrill ride from start to finish. The visuals that accompanies the song is equally as iconic and remains one of the most toweringly epic in her extensive back-catalogue. Despite its somewhat mixed commercial success, it's #7 peak in the UK meant that it was her first to miss the top 5, doesn't take away how prominent and well-regarded it has become, especially in relation to her career & how successfully it pushes those bondaries to become an absolute powerhouse of a song, that has now become a triumphant anthem of survival.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 27th March 2024, 10:42 PM
Post #219
Group icon

Baby One More Time VS Toxic VS Everytime

Who will win?

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 27th March 2024, 11:58 PM
Post #220
Group icon
Rob aah

'Stronger' another strong track from Brit!

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 05:43 AM