BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Marina and the Diamonds 'Obsessions' // 14-02-09, For she be amazing —
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
jakee
post 13th November 2008, 05:31 AM
Post #1
Group icon
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Pronouns: ·
User: 47

Marina and the Diamonds We've Got Obsessions
We've Got Obsessions // Mowgli Road - 7"
Neon Gold Records

Marina and the Diamonds Biography // The Guardian

Female performer with quaint Christian name and inanimate-object appendage alert! Marina and the Diamonds are the latest "and the" band, if indeed they are a band. Some of her/their songs are full-band performances even though on her MySpace, under "band members", it simply says "me". So we're not sure who or what Marina's Diamonds are, but then it took us quite a while to work out what Florence's Machine was, let alone Joe Lean's Jing Jang Jong.

The Welsh-born musician insists that her birthplace was "Ancient Greece" and that her heroes are Brody Dalle and Britney. Her songs are hard to fathom. They veer between simple keyboards-based ballads and more upbeat and catchy, quirky new wave-inflected numbers enhanced by bass, guitar and drums. In the latter instances, we're assuming the sprightly nature of the music is an ironic cover for lyrics critical of modern mores in general and the male of the species in particular. "You're only as sick as your secrets," she says at the top of her MySpace, by way of a clue.

Further evidence that we're dealing with a seriously warped mind in the body of a fox are her highly entertaining and angry, if grammatically unorthodox, musings on her website, which range from verbal annihilations of female pop stars to the vapidity of contemporary celeb culture. You get the impression that, in Marina's twisted imagination, women are weight-obsessed WAGs and men are all creepy sleazebags. "I'm really sick, tired, depressed, uninspired by women," she writes. "Vacant. Airbrushed. Empty. People. Getting. Paid. To talk. About f*** all. It's great that Eva Longoria looks hot in a bikini, but if the sun dies and the world plummets into darkness and ice, will anyone f***ing care?" Lily Allen? She's not having it. "She was quite good until she wrecked it all by turning into everything she's not. i.e. going on a diet, dying her hair slapper-blonde and flashing her boobies." As for trying to compare her to Kate Nash, don't even go there. "Because OOPS! I have a vagina and a keyboard!!!! WE SO SIMILAR!" Any fellas out there who haven't run and hid yet, a word of advice: don't nudge her during her gigs or you'll get it in the neck, too, as one poor punter found out to his cost recently. "Hi to the ecstasy ridden guy who tried to tip my keyboard on the last song. I threw a girl punch, and as girl punches go, totally missed and clipped his jaw. May music never grace your grotty ears again. Loser. And say hi to your drug dealer for me. He made you look super f***ing hot that night. Hehehe x." Ouch.

She doesn't sing like a harpy, more like one of those kooky new wave girls like Lene Lovich, all whoops, hollers, cackles and shrieks that make her sound strangely mid-European. It provides a neat counterpoint to the music. Seventeen opens with just piano, almost like an Elvis Costello circa-Armed Forces pop ditty, then starts to resemble one of those novelty synth-pop groups from the late 70s like Flying Lizards. The Shampain Sleeper, about using alcohol as an anaesthetic for a painful existence, sounds like fag-end-of-glam hit Glass of Champagne by Sailor and not just because they have a similar title – it's got that weird mid-70s synth-glam stomp. Girls Girls Girls, a collaboration with New Order and Ladyhawke producer Pascal Gabriel, is a brilliant full-band performance and a potentially huge smash hit in which Marina bitches about women who have Botox and go on diets and recommends that we stuff yoghurts and stick to apple pies. And you can dance to it. We've Got Obsessions explains those Kate Nash comparisons, all mournful piano, voice to the fore and references to the miserable minutiae of everyday life, crackers and all. An intriguing young lady and no mistake.

Marina is releasing her debut single mid-December through "trendy" indie label 'Neon Gold Records' before her major label folk take over in the new year (similar trend to what Little Boots, La Roux, Passion Pit etc have done). She'll be on all of the buzz lists come the end of the year. Expect big things in the new year...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Thom Spirit Kay
post 13th November 2008, 03:18 PM
Post #2
Group icon
eat hot chip, be homosexual
User: 6,946

Love the sound of that. Kate Bash smile.gif

+Quote this post
jonny
post 13th November 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #3
Group icon
i would beg to disagree but begging disagrees with me
User: 3,646

She has a voice I recognise (which isn't either of the Kate's...) but I can't think who it is. The demo version is nice, the full one should be good.

+Quote this post
jakee
post 10th December 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #4
Group icon

The new version of 'Obsessions' (Nü shorter single title) sounds very good.

+Quote this post
Ryan
post 10th December 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #5
Group icon
lol
User: 774

Mowgli's Road wub.gif Epicness <3

One needs more songs from her. *Hunts*

+Quote this post
Ashley
post 11th December 2008, 03:46 AM
Post #6
Group icon
I am the milk maid that killed all the cows
Pronouns: Preston, via the Iberian peninsula
User: 187

Obsessions is very nice and I really like Seventeen off her myspace too.

+Quote this post
jakee
post 12th December 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #7
Group icon

The single versions of 'Obsessions' and 'Mowgli's Road' have leaked. Epic isn't the word?

+Quote this post
AaronTM
post 12th December 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #8
Group icon
salty foods parch the human
Pronouns: he/him
User: 4,631

I like the new version of Obsessions a lot. happy.gif Not as keen on Mowgli's Road yet. sad.gif

+Quote this post
post 12th December 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,513

QUOTE(Aaron™ @ Dec 12 2008, 01:01 PM) *
I like the new version of Obsessions a lot. happy.gif Not as keen on Mowgli's Road yet. sad.gif

How is that possible? MOWGLI'S ROAD IS SO AMAZING.

+Quote this post
AaronTM
post 12th December 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #10
Group icon
salty foods parch the human
Pronouns: he/him
User: 4,631

QUOTE(Medicated Soap @ Dec 12 2008, 09:42 PM) *
How is that possible? MOWGLI'S ROAD IS SO AMAZING.

I dunno, I still like it, just not as much. At first I thought it was very average and now it's just 'good' so it's grown on me already.

+Quote this post
jonny
post 13th December 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #11
Group icon

I don't like the new version of 'Obsessions' as much as I wanted to, the demo version just sounds better for me. 'Mowgli's Road' is amazing though.

+Quote this post
jakee
post 13th December 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #12
Group icon

QUOTE(Jonny @ Dec 13 2008, 12:43 PM) *
I don't like the new version of 'Obsessions' as much as I wanted to, the demo version just sounds better for me. 'Mowgli's Road' is amazing though.

You know, I knew you were going to say exactly that before I came into this thread ohmy.gif

I find the new version vastly superior. Her vocals are FAR more emotive and earnest. The reverb they've used on it adds a whole new level of ambiance too. Beautiful.

+Quote this post
jonny
post 14th December 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #13
Group icon

QUOTE(Jake @ Dec 13 2008, 12:57 PM) *
You know, I knew you were going to say exactly that before I came into this thread ohmy.gif

I find the new version vastly superior. Her vocals are FAR more emotive and earnest. The reverb they've used on it adds a whole new level of ambiance too. Beautiful.

Psychic eh. ohmy.gif It's grown on me after a few more listens but it's still got a way to go to beat the demo version. I don't like the backing as much on the new version, and for me her vocals haven't improved at all...

+Quote this post
jakee
post 14th December 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #14
Group icon

Obsessions Video

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kjltyg3mmmz

+Quote this post
Ashley
post 15th December 2008, 02:10 AM
Post #15
Group icon
I am the milk maid that killed all the cows
Pronouns: Preston, via the Iberian peninsula
User: 187

Where can I download some of her songs? Hype machine is surprisingly devoid of any of her songs. I'm really liking Obsessions now, the video is great too.

+Quote this post
jakee
post 16th December 2008, 07:57 AM
Post #16
Group icon

I have like 4 other demos by her? There isn't much about...

Remixes of this track will come courtesy of Giantess and Little Boots as well as many more. Exciting.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 16th December 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #17
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

Ooof, Boots remix ;o Much awaited. Also interesting to see how the Giantess remix will turn out...

+Quote this post
p a v
post 21st December 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #18
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Soooo love that heart.gif

+Quote this post
jonny
post 6th January 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #19
Group icon

Does someone know what she actually means by "crackers" in 'Obsessions'? Listening again I keep thinking it's used for something else...

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 6th January 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #20
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

QUOTE(Jonny @ Jan 6 2009, 03:57 PM) *
Does someone know what she actually means by "crackers" in 'Obsessions'? Listening again I keep thinking it's used for something else...

Condoms drama.gif They're all the same, one brand, one name = Durex. Why else would anyone be getting looks for looking at crackers eh Jonny? ;o

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 08:42 AM