BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2017: Week #21, show me my love in the danger zone // + links + writeup
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post May 22 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
It’s a new #1 the second week in a row and another week where Dua Lipa sees a surge, as My Love, with Wale, WizKid and Major Lazer rises two places to the top spot, bringing Lipa to three #1s out of five releases this year. I have a feeling that, like Swalla, this may end up being a slow-burning official chart hit in its own right. Lipa becomes the first act on my charts to tally 3 or more #1 hits – although, as I only started last August, that’s not as standout as it could be. It’s a big turnaround considering I fell between not being impressed with and actively disliking everything she put out last year. Her solo single with Miguel also re-peaks this week, after spending a few weeks challenged by tough competition and lots of new entries.

Last week’s leader, Gaga, falls this week to #4 after one week wearing the crown. It’s her fifth week in the top 20, and leaves her having occupied #1, #2, #3 and #4 for a nice run. Rest of the top 5 – and in fact the top 10 – are surgers reaching new peaks, most notably this week’s #2 from Syn Cole and Nevve that entered last week at #26. That track was strongly challenging for the top spot towards the end of the week and next week stands a strong chance of taking it.

New entries this week are led by Eurovision; Blanche’s 4th-placing City Lights for Belgium scores a high debut at #10, with Italy’s Francesco Gabbani also re-entering. A few more Eurovision songs were just beyond this week’s cutoff and may find their way in next week. Other new entries come from Shakira, Troye Sivan, Tegan and Sara, Paramore, Alt-J, Fickle Friends and Inna, with a few re-entries coming this week too. Full top 40 list up to the third week of May just below:

Look out for my later posts in this thread for some new entry links and commentary!

01 Wale ft. Major Lazer + Dua Lipa + WizKid - My Love [7-3-1]
02 Syn Cole ft. Nevve - Sway [26-2]
03 Katy Perry - Bon Appetit [6-4-3]
04 Lady Gaga - The Cure [15-3-2-1-4]
05 Fall Out Boy - Young and Menace [12-7-5]
06 Dua Lipa ft. Miguel - Lost in Your Light [8-10-14-6]
07 Whethan ft. Charli XCX - Love Gang [18-8-7]
08 Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee - Despacito [13-8]
09 Charli XCX ft. Uffie - Babygirl [27-9-9-9]
10 Blanche - City Lights [N]
11 Martin Solveig ft. Ina Wroldsen - Places [10-5-6-11]
12 Cardiknox - Perfect Storm [17-10-12]
13 Shakira ft. Maluma - Chantaje [N]
14 Chainsmokers ft. Jhene Aiko - Wake Up Alone [14-1-1-1-2-14]
15 Little Dragon - Sweet [21-11-11-15]
16 Naked and Famous - Higher [33-29-X1-29-16]
17 Foster the People - Pay the Man [38-18-17]
18 Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back [15-19-18]
19 Biffy Clyro - Friends and Enemies [37-19]
20 Imagine Dragons - Thunder [40-20]
21 Easyfun ft. Noonie Bao - Monopoly [13-21-21]
22 Keke Palmer ft. Quavo - Wind Up [22-22]
23 Tegan and Sara - BWU [N]
24 Wild Belle - Throw Down Your Guns [12-16-16-24]
25 Troye Sivan - The Quiet [N]
26 M0 - Nights with You [14-22-23-26]
27 Felix Snow ft. Icona Pop - Windows [29-32-27]
28 YVE 48 ft. LissA - Nothing to Say [27-28]
29 Steps - No More Tears on the Dancefloor [16-24-25-29]
30 Carly Rae Jepsen - Fever [35-15-30]
31 Elina Born - In or Out [26-X1-31-31]
32 Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma [10-6-7-27-X4-32]
33 Fickle Friends - Hello Hello [N]
34 Inna - Rendez Vous [N]
35 Harry Styles - Sign of the Times [28-33-35]
36 Hailee Steinfeld - Most Girls [36-X1-36]
37 Zara Larsson - TG4M [32-37-28-X4-37]
38 Alt-J - In Cold Blood [N]
39 Paramore - Pool [N]
40 Kygo ft. Ellie Goulding - First Time [31-36-40]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends – Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (2)
Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds (1)
Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow – Redrum (2)
Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko – Wake Up Alone (3)
Lady Gaga – The Cure (1)
Wale ft. Major Lazer, Dua Lipa + WizKid – My Love (~)

Spotify Link to my weekly A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: May 25 2017, 03:15 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
toffochews
post May 23 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 4,120
i do not mind dua lipa being number one somewhere else even if it's a different track!

great chart!

+Quote this post
seltinpixmile
post May 25 2017, 03:42 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,863
Hi Jupiter,

Nice N.1 biggrin.gif

Bon Appetit being high somewhere cool.gif

Awesome entry for Blanche w00t.gif

I hope Despacito drops next week biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post May 25 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #4
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Dua Lipa and Charli XCX are this week's success stories, notching two tracks each in this week's top 10. Biffy Clyro, Imagine Dragons and The Naked and Famous also surge to gain a new top 20 hit apiece; Imagine Dragons' highest to date and the second top 20 this year for the others. The Naked and Famous's Higher, like their previous track Laid Low, hits its peak on its second run in the top 40. Elsewhere in the chart, there's re-entries near the bottom for Zara Larsson and Hailee Steinfeld, however neither manages to outdo their existing peaks. Both TG4M and Most Girls are catchy tracks that've consistently been picking up plays - but not enough to challenge some of the heavier-hitters in the top 40.

Longest-runner this week goes to former #1 Wake Up Alone by the Chainsmokers and Jhene Aiko, which slips back to its #14 debut this week. Jury's still out as to whether it'll be their next single, but I'd call it as a good choice. In any case, it's a strong bid for pop relevance from alt R&B singer Aiko, who's been active and well-known in those circles since about 2013, but has thus far only seen mainstream success with a more urban rap persona rather than as the sweet yet spiky singer she can be at her best. She's got another track primed to enter high next week, so regular readers can see another side to her there.

As for the new entries this week:

Hotly-tipped to win the whole thing back in Feb and March, I'm still a little gutted I didn't put a bet on Belgium to not win the Eurovision song contest 2017. Blanche's nervous performance at the contest was always going to be a hard sell to juries. Her entry is however one of the most solid modern pop efforts, vocally similar to Adele, with a great dark-to-light EDM beat behind it. This is the kind of music Emeli Sande should've come back with. Blanche becomes the second Eurovisioner to debut at #10 this year and the first to make her chart debut after the contest actually happened. She's only 17, and I hope she stays in music; this is good stuff.

One that's taken a while to register for me and whose success is largely down to fellow latin Spanish-language bop Despacito, which conincidentally also debuted at #13 last week. The now 40-year-old Shakira Shakira looks amazing in the video, and the track sizzles with temptation just below the surface of its slinky modern production. It's a track where you don't have to follow the lyrics to get the gist, much like the K-Pop songs I also enjoy, the sound of the track itself explains everything necessary to vibe with it. A strong and surprising comeback for Shakira, as usually I am not a fan of her Spanish tracks.

After three charting tracks last year, I've been revisiting Tegan and Sara's latest album (Love You To Death, 2016). I'm a longtime fan of the duo, going back over ten years now, and it's been interesting to watch their star rise as they've shifted from making indie rock to more pop-influenced tracks. It's been a conscious decision though, and the band have been open about it - personally I like it, as a way to reach new fans who can then go back to their previous work if they like. I didn't buy their last album, so I've been enjoying finding new tracks on it via youtube (they made a video for every track) and spotify. Following Stop Desire, Dying to Know and Faint of Heart, this was the next stop on the list. It's a solid, bittersweet pop track with 80s synth influences, masterfully hitting the emotional notes the sisters are so good at.

In advance of the Troye/Martin Garrix track being debuted (come on lads, it's been two weeks you've teased it) I've been dipping back into Mr Sivan's back catalogue to see if anything else took my fancy, and this one reared its head. I'm a late starter to the Troye Sivan party, but quite happily there now; the South African landed 3 successful tracks on my charts last year, all of which made it into my year-end top 100. To me Troye's music ticks a similar box to Years and Years - another band who really need to get back out there and release some more great stuff - in terms of his voice and how it's put together. The Quiet's a nice pop midtempo with some future bass elements, and a touch of harsher language thrown in to spice things up a little.

The video sells this one a lot. Playlisted on radio 1 and all, but this one seems to've struggled to get out of the starting blocks, and I'm, although a fan of the band, also not quite surprised. Hello Hello while a decent track to me just seems to have something missing and holding it back from being as good as what I know this band can produce. Last year's Brooklyn was a bona fide classic pop song I would say almost on a par with what Carly Rae was putting out on Emotion in 2015. This one's somewhat of a step down. But the video really is charming, and it's not a bad track by any means, keeping their name out there can only be a good thing.

A late bloomer here from Inna, just in advance of her new track coming out this Friday. Originally released two summers ago, it's one I missed first time round. Inna had been talking about releasing a foreign-language album for Europe and the Latinx community, and the title of this one left me assuming it was a french-language song and so not one aimed at me as audience. So I just avoided it. Despite the title, its in English and is a typical sunny Inna bop with eastern influences. Inna really is a gem in dancepop, and reliable to always bring it for a summer jam. Not bad for an act who seemed destined to be a one hit wonder back in 2010!

Another slow burner from this era of Alt-J finally charts this week. If I've learned anything from listening to Alt-J the last few years, it's that these tracks too will eventually grow on me a lot and end up with lots of plays. My all time top tracks is riddled with Alt-J from their first two albums. They're a band which pretty much nail the definition of alternative music I think, music that's hard to place on pop radio or playlists, but which nevertheless has its own quiet appeal. It's their second charter fromforthcoming album Relaxer (releasing in June) following lead 3WW.

Second charter for Paramore from newly-released album After Laughter. It's one of several from the album that immediately stood out to me and went straight onto my spotify weekly playlists. Paramore's transformation from an emo band, to pop rock, to Ting Tings-esque indiepop is still surprising me, especially that it didn'tlet up for the whole album - I went in expecting the change would only've taken such an effect on the buzz singles Hard Times and Told You So. I liked the album, mind. Expect to see a string of tracks from it making my top 40 over the next few weeks and months.

Finally to close us off, it's a re-entry this week for Mr Gabbani and his gorilla. Another hot Eurovision favourite pre-finals, ultimately I feel Occidentali's Karma was hampered by the staging; the large open stage did not play to the strengths of the song and didn't let Gabbani's charm - front and center in the video - shine through. Get this man his own TV show! I'm disappointed we won't be seeing him hosting next year's contest. So far, this was my highest-peaking Eurovision song this year; we'll see if that holds up next week.

That's us for the week. Those who've commented so far, I thank you; those who might still want to, be my guest! ~Jupiter

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: May 25 2017, 03:12 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:33 AM