BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Game of Thrones • The Bells, S08E05 | Spoilers inside
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 14th May 2019, 09:10 AM
Post #41
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I’m fairly sure something will be in the works. I’d be interested in something exploring Essos, and I believe they have announced one set 5,000 years before, in the Age of Heroes, is pretty far along.

It’ll have so much to live up to though.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 14th May 2019, 09:18 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(Bjork @ May 14 2019, 09:23 AM) *
really can't stand all these people complaining and saying they hated the episode, like if's the cool thing to say
typical attitude of build it up, tear it down

This is beyond trite.

I want to love this season. I haven't spent this long enjoying something just to complain at the end for the sake of it.

Commenting that the writing has been lacklustre and that the story has been rushed is a valid criticism.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 14th May 2019, 10:24 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

QUOTE(Bjork @ May 14 2019, 08:23 AM) *
really can't stand all these people complaining and saying they hated the episode, like if's the cool thing to say
typical attitude of build it up, tear it down

And I can’t stand people enabling this mess. If the writing had been this bad the entire 8-season run I wouldn’t be complaining but the way this last season has been handled is just an insult to George R. R. Martin, the actors and the fans.

+Quote this post
post 14th May 2019, 10:33 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I really like how Emelia talks about it here, hopefully they'll flesh out her turn more in the final episode.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 14th May 2019, 12:54 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

The Bells is currently the worst-reviewed episode in the show's history drama.gif

+Quote this post
Severin
post 14th May 2019, 04:00 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 14 2019, 10:10 AM) *
I’m fairly sure something will be in the works. I’d be interested in something exploring Essos, and I believe they have announced one set 5,000 years before, in the Age of Heroes, is pretty far along.

It’ll have so much to live up to though.

Production on the pilot for show (which is definitely 'not called The Long Night') is well under way Filming is due to begin mid 2019. In other words between now and July.
Written by Jane Goldman (Jonathan Ross' wife) and starring Naomi Watts, John Simm, Miranda Richardson, Jamie Campbell Bower and Georgie Henley, it is indeed set around the time of heroes and the birth of the great houses. It will apparently feature much of the Night King's backstory

Read about it here https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6857128/

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 14th May 2019, 06:14 PM
Post #47
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(cantthinkofaname @ May 14 2019, 11:24 AM) *
And I can’t stand people enabling this mess. If the writing had been this bad the entire 8-season run I wouldn’t be complaining but the way this last season has been handled is just an insult to George R. R. Martin, the actors and the fans.

I've never heard such rubbish. George R.R. Martin is a fantastic writer, but he takes his time. It's almost 8 years since his last book was released ffs. I'd expect nothing more than absolute perfection if something took me 8 years to write.

The show is fine. The biggest skill in the early seasons is how the characters were handled, when they all end up together it was inevitable this was going to be harder to pull together. You have 20 main cast members in an hour long show, sometimes I don't know what people are expecting. I feel that people are upset because they liked Dany wanted her to be the good guy. She wanted to rule Westeros but knew she could never rule with love. She is a tyrant. She has often ignored the advice of her advisors. She's a bit like Thanos - wants to make the world a better place and thinks she could be a good queen by killing off the population of the world and starting again. That's how I see it.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th May 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

It was fab and as expected, everything has been foreshadowed and predestined, all the clues are in the script. As I said last week a big character was going to get burned to death: it was Varys, because she said she would do it if he betrayed her in season 7 : and he said he would expect no less. Varys did it for the people. He was right about her and right about Jon Snow. Jon Snow is a reluctant leader, which makes him a good leader. The Mad Queen turning into her father is very much part of her ongoing and increasing ruthlessness, lots of innocents died along the way in her rise to power, and everyone has shades of good and bad in the show - everyone is flawed. Jon Snow's is he's too trusting of dangerous people and it got him killed. He was brought back to life to save EVERY LIVING THING. Which he did. He is both the rightful ruler, the destined ruler, and the ruler best suited to bring peace and fairness. Varys knew this. His sister knows this. The Red Woman knew it. The Wildlings know it. The North knows it.

The only one who didn't, apparently, was a power-obsessed dragon-queen who should have listened to her advisors and not broken her word to Tyrion to not raze the city. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Cliche, maybe, but true.

Pretty much an epic show, again. I have no complaints about anything much.....

+Quote this post
post 14th May 2019, 08:31 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

There's a difference between foreshadowing and character development.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th May 2019, 08:35 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(365 @ May 14 2019, 09:31 PM) *
There's a difference between foreshadowing and character development.

yes, and everyone is getting a bit pissed because events didn't go the way they wanted. That's been GOT since day one, pretty much. Good characters die, baddies have good in them, goodies have bad in them, everyone is complex and motivations change to circumstances. I agree the final season should have been longer and better-paced, but then OTOH it's going out with several big bangs, so on balance I'm happy with that trade-off. Everyone expecting a bitch-fest fight to end on, err, ooops laugh.gif (so far)

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 14th May 2019, 08:45 PM
Post #51
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I feel like explaining Daenerys here is just psychology though? You’re in the middle of a war. Everyone you know is either dead or against you. There’s so much that she has to live up to and it continues to bubble up until eventually it bursts.

Emilia nails it; it’s not bad development, she just snapped.

+Quote this post
post 14th May 2019, 08:45 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ May 14 2019, 09:35 PM) *
yes, and everyone is getting a bit pissed because events didn't go the way they wanted. That's been GOT since day one, pretty much. Good characters die, baddies have good in them, goodies have bad in them, everyone is complex and motivations change to circumstances. I agree the final season should have been longer and better-paced, but then OTOH it's going out with several big bangs, so on balance I'm happy with that trade-off. Everyone expecting a bitch-fest fight to end on, err, ooops laugh.gif (so far)

But that is not it at all. I've been excited for the mad queen storyline for some time but they just didn't develop it properly. That's why experienced critics, who analyse and write about TV for a profession have reviewed it so badly. Everyone loved and rooted for Rob and Caitlyn Stark, but the audiences and critics thought that was great TV when they were killed out of nowhere. It's perfectly fine if you enjoyed it and there's still lots to enjoy I agree but you can't turn your nose up at people who don't enjoy being spoon fed as much.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 14th May 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #53
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ May 14 2019, 09:35 PM) *

This is why I really liked what they did with Cersi. I have hated her for pretty much the entire show, yet I was actually hoping in the end she'd get on that smuggler boat to safety.

+Quote this post
post 14th May 2019, 08:50 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Rooney @ May 14 2019, 09:46 PM) *
This is why I really liked what they did with Cersi. I have hated her for pretty much the entire show, yet I was actually hoping in the end she'd get on that smuggler boat to safety.

Lena has a way of making the most hateful character sympathetic. It's a shame she never managed to snag an Emmy for this show.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 15th May 2019, 03:06 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

I'd be super mad if the total definition of dishwater aka Jon Snow has the Throne in the end when he doesn't even want it. That would just be the boring patriarchy ruling because of his heritage and after all this amazing journey. Sansa would be so much better ruler.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 15th May 2019, 07:24 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Well it was certainly a spectacle of an episode!

I didn’t really like the twist of Dany going mad though found it a bit sickening. I think it’s all happened too quickly, after such a slow build up it’s like suddenly it’s finishing so they are quickly wrapping it up. Feel like we needed more time to see Dany’s character develop into madness, the quick jump feels too much of a change and fake to me.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 15th May 2019, 08:29 AM
Post #57
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

It was the best episode of the worst season the show has had. That doesn’t feel harsh, it felt like there were about 3 episodes worth of plot crammed into it, lots of great moments which given room to breath (as they would have in S1-6) could have been extraordinary, but it felt rushed and almost everything happened “for plot reasons”.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 15th May 2019, 12:53 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

I really don’t get how people think this came as a surprise. Dany has been 50-50 on whether she’s a villain from very early on. It’s been one of the best things about the character. Nobody I know didn’t see this coming.

On a a side note I also disagree that Cersei has been ‘evil’. She’s done cruel things but in terms of her character she is the most nuanced and complex in the show. Her life has been that of the victim from way before the show started. I’ve always felt kind of sorry for Cersei. She was a pawn in Tywin’s game before being forced into a loveless marriage with Robert who she even loved once. She consoles herself with her kids even though one was a monster. Watching in horror as he be headed Ned Stark, abused Sansa and the ordered the murder of infants. Even then she still loved him because she had nothing else. Then she lost them one by one and fearing she would lose Tommen as well, she organised the destruction of the sept at Baelor. Inadvertently losing he final child too. After that she only had Jaime and her family name to protect. Then when she lost Jaime too she had lost all empathy. Only realising in her last moments what truly mattered in the world. She’s a tragic Shakespearean figure not a cackling evil.

+Quote this post
post 15th May 2019, 01:01 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Cersei is literally written as the villain. She's done many things out of mere spite and has always shown 0 regard for the people. She's been outwardly homophobic when people like Marj, Tyrion etc have shown Westeros isn't fully homophobic and has enjoyed giving out some of the cruellest and iconic deaths, tortures, kidnappings of the show. If you don't see her as a villain the show has failed you.

Lena has played her brilliantly though, the ideal villain will have enough complexities that you understand their motives and still feel sorry for them when they're in any way sad. The whole sept storyline was brilliant for Cersei's character, and gave her so much depth and managing to make us root for Cersei after the unspeakable things she'd done so far, was a testament to the amazing (at the time) writing and Lena's acting... But she's still evil as they come, she just happens to have been one of the best villains TV has ever seen.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 15th May 2019, 04:11 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

QUOTE(Severin @ May 15 2019, 01:53 PM) *
I really don’t get how people think this came as a surprise. Dany has been 50-50 on whether she’s a villain from very early on. It’s been one of the best things about the character. Nobody I know didn’t see this coming.

On a a side note I also disagree that Cersei has been ‘evil’. She’s done cruel things but in terms of her character she is the most nuanced and complex in the show. Her life has been that of the victim from way before the show started. I’ve always felt kind of sorry for Cersei. She was a pawn in Tywin’s game before being forced into a loveless marriage with Robert who she even loved once. She consoles herself with her kids even though one was a monster. Watching in horror as he be headed Ned Stark, abused Sansa and the ordered the murder of infants. Even then she still loved him because she had nothing else. Then she lost them one by one and fearing she would lose Tommen as well, she organised the destruction of the sept at Baelor. Inadvertently losing he final child too. After that she only had Jaime and her family name to protect. Then when she lost Jaime too she had lost all empathy. Only realising in her last moments what truly mattered in the world. She’s a tragic Shakespearean figure not a cackling evil.

This, 100% this. Doing bad things doesn’t make you evil, it’s all about intent and I truly believe her intent was always to protect those she loved most. The methods she used weren’t always proportionate or appropriate, but in her mind eliminating threats was the best form of protection she could come up with. Joffrey was evil, Ramsey was evil, they killed for fun, just because they could and there was no higher purpose or reasoning behind it.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:27 PM