BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Class: Doctor Who spin-off, BBC Three | October 22nd
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
lewistgreen
post Oct 7 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Hypodermic Sally
post Oct 8 2016, 12:08 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,622
saw this advertised today and was automatically reminded of Doctor Who yet when it said 'Class' I looked away, strange how I find this tonight ha but I'm looking forward! very exciting!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Oct 8 2016, 07:25 AM
Post #23
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Trash.

They also seem trapped in the 1950s. No school looks like that today.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 8 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #24
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
I have to say that it is a bit annoying that TV is still acting as though everyone has their own individual desks, it's a bit lazy in terms of production or perhaps writing. Only a very minor issue of course but I'm not sure why it's still happening.

The trailer kind of shows what I was expecting from the series though, I hope it isn't full of cringy, and dated, pop culture references though.

I see that they're also just basically using Torchwood's rift but calling it a 'tear' instead. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 22 2016, 06:45 PM
Post #25
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
The first two episodes are available on iPlayer now!

so much TV I need to watch/keep up with drama.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 22 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #26
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
I watched them earlier, was really quite impressed! Katherine Kelly stole the show for me, Miss Quill is a really interesting character, absolutely nothing like I expected laugh.gif I warmed to all the main cast members actually, they've all got their own traits so far and I think we're in for a great series. Peter Capaldi's cameo was excellent too!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Oct 22 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #27
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
I loved the first two episodes whole heartidly so well done and created some excellent characters allready forming wub.gif

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Oct 23 2016, 10:39 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Only watched the first episode so far as I have to go to work drama.gif but thoroughly impressed and wasn't at all what I was expecting!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 23 2016, 11:51 PM
Post #29
Group icon

laugh.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Oct 23 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #30
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Oct 24 2016, 12:51 AM) *

laugh.gif wub.gif

Allready such a queen wub.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 30 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #31
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Watched the first episode so far, actually enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. I agree that the characters were very quickly established in their own different ways without it getting in the way of the plot of the episode. I thought the Doctor was going to be featured a bit more but I guess he was in it enough to let the show stand on its own feet first.

It doesn't seem to be doing very well though. Considering it's only on iPlayer, I think the first episode only got as high as No. 9 in the Most Popular Programmes and the third episode, released yesterday, is only at 15, behind a compliation episode of Would I Lie to You? and The Apprentice: Honest Subtitles. The first two episodes have also already dropped out of the Top 40.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Oct 30 2016, 11:08 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I am thoroughly impressed with this series. Completely reinvigorated my interest in Doctor Who as well which I haven't watched properly since Series 7!

Episode 3 was warming yet also tense and had a fantastic storyline with some great writing involved. Probably loving it more than I should but I don't care laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Nov 29 2016, 12:20 PM
Post #33
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Is anyone still watching this? I do like the characters but I'm really not a fan of the whole Shadowkin (or whatever it is) thing and I found the two-parter that featured them really cheesy. I think the more successful episodes have been the ones that haven't featured them, I particularly liked Episode 3 with the dead 'returning'.

Overall, I've found the series to be alright. I do think that it's strongest asset is the characters which it knows and therefore that might got in the way of good stories. I don't particularly think the plots have been that strong, mainly due to the Shadow thing and I don't find myself looking forward to each episode. I could easily take it or leave it if it wasn't associated with Doctor Who and even then that association is completely pointless and unnecessary. I think the only reason it has been tagged as a spin-off is in the hope that it would create more attention and more viewers for the series as otherwise, it has nothing to do with the main series. Both Torchwood and SJA were clear spin-offs (obviously helped by having two main characters from the series) but this has nothing to do with it.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Nov 29 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I've thoroughly enjoyed this! I agree that the Shadowkin arc has been kind of variable at times, but on the whole mostly just ok. Sad to see this end this week though, I hope it gets another series.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 29 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #35
Group icon
The Shadow Kin are NAFF, really could've done without them being recurring villains sad.gif otherwise I've enjoyed it a lot, the characters are interesting and I'd say the past couple of episodes have been my faves so far!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Nov 29 2016, 09:12 PM
Post #36
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
The way the shadowkin kill people aka turn to stone is so CBBC Sarah Jane Adventure laugh.gif They are not even scary just chessy villain. I thought the hot dragon tattoo guy more scary and he wasn't technically a baddie laugh.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 18 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #37
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Halfway through the show and I'm enjoying it!
My favourite episode would have to be The Coach With The Dragon Tattoo.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Dec 26 2016, 11:06 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
For anyone that hasn't seen it, this starts airing on BBC One from January 9th 10:45pm

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Jun 14 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #39
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Patrick Ness (the writer and creator of the show) stated last week that he won't be involved in any further series which basically means that there won't be any more series of this, pretty much to no one's surprise. He said on Twitter:

"Hey, this kind of stuff matters very little in the face of the London Bridge attack, but I did want say a quick thing re the future of Class," he began. "I decided awhile back that, with unbelievable regret, I won't be writing any more Class, even if a season 2 moves ahead."

Ness went on to praise writing the show as an "amazing experience" and shared how proud he was of it, but also questioned the future of the series by saying that they'd need to be filming a second series now if it was going to be coming back at all. "We should be filming right now," he said. "With the new cycles of Who, we'd pretty much need to be to be on the air before even 2019 but we're not. "And that's just TV and how it goes! Not even the littlest bit bitter. What an amazing experience."

He continued: "I remain baffled by the [scheduling]decisions of BBC1, which were odd for a critically-acclaimed show. But again, I'm so grateful for the chance. "If I'm honest, a season 2 has been a faint hope, but it's a fact that BBC America LOVES the show, so who know? If so, I wish them wings! "I'm super-super sad and i fought hard to be making it right now, trust me! I'm a feisty little mofo."

Digital Spy have also wrote why it didn't really work: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/class/feature...ust-didnt-work/

I'm neither surprised nor disappointed by this. There were elements that were good but, overall, I just never warmed to it. The Shadow kin were awful and so it was wrong to dedicate half the series to them. It should never have had the Doctor Who tag attached to it as there weren't any relevant connections, it was clear that it was only added in the hope to draw attention to the series. The actual Doctor Who magazine has only ever dedicated two pages to it, despite it airing in a year with only one Doctor Who episode which, to me, just highlights how unconnected the show is.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jun 14 2017, 02:46 PM
Post #40
Group icon
I think a second series would've improved things (Torchwood got off to a ropey first series after all and they ironed things out after that, although they had a stronger group of characters), but I can't say I'm too gutted really. It was enjoyable but Digital Spy are totally right in that the target audience was all over the place and the tone was never spot on, while the BBC1 scheduling was atrocious. Perhaps if a Doctor Who character starred in it (a la Jack or Sarah Jane), or we'd seen Charlie and/or Quill in a Doctor Who episode, there might have been more of a draw to watch it, but nope.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:16 PM