BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Calum's Emeli Sandé Singles Rank, Roll up, roll up! Read all about it!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Apr 13 2020, 03:14 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
'Breathing Underwater' is stunning wub.gif the production really reminds me of 'Teardrop' by Massive Attack!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 13 2020, 03:17 PM
Post #42
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

Beneath Your Beautiful
Labrinth feat. Emeli Sandé

Released: 18 October 2012
UK Charts Peak: 01

This was a painful decision to make. Just missing out on the top 10 is Emeli's collaboration with Labrinth, Beneath Your Beautiful. The song managed to get her a #1 hit, and it's still a song held in such high regard even today. I think my only qualm, and hence why it's missed out on the top 10, is that I've maybe heard it too much and I know exactly what to expect each time I listen to it - I'm not surprised by it any more. However, that said, there are some live performances of this song that blow everything out of the park. Labrinth joined Emeli on stage to perform this when she played at the Royal Albert Hall, and it was a beautiful moment. On tour (obviously Labrinth is unable to make an appearance) she performs this with one of her backing vocalists, and it always touches my heartstrings. I don't think I'll ever forget the video for this either; while it's certainly nothing too memorable, the iconic close-ups of their faces in the background with the other sitting below is ingrained in my mind lmao.

Rank

11. Beneath Your Beautiful (Labrinth feat. Emeli Sandé)
12. Sparrow
13. Breathing Underwater
14. What I Did For Love (David Guetta feat. Emeli Sandé)
15. Clown
16. My Kind of Love
17. Daddy (feat. Naughty Boy)
18. One of a Kind (with Ronan Keating)
19. Starlight
20. Extraordinary Being
21. This Game Is Over (Alejandro Sanz feat. Emeli Sandé & Jamie Foxx)
22. Diamond Rings (Chipmunk feat. Emeli Sandé)
23. Never Be Your Woman (Naughty Boy presents Wiley feat. Emeli Sandé)

+Quote this post
*Tim
post Apr 13 2020, 03:37 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660
QUOTE(Calum 🐠 @ Apr 13 2020, 01:21 PM) *

Clown

Released: 3 February 2013
UK Charts Peak: 04

Eight months on from the release of My Kind of Love (and with Beneath Your Beautiful, a collaboration with Labrinth, sandwiched in between too), and Emeli's releasing the fifth single from Our Version of Events on 3 February 2013. Clown is a beautiful ballad, one that she always describes so openly about being the butt of somebody's joke, letting people laugh at your expense, and just in that moment allowing yourself to be the 'clown', no matter how damning it may be. When this was announced as a single it felt like such an 'about time!!1!' moment, but I'm glad it had its moment in the spotlight, despite it not being one of my absolute favourites from Emeli. She has better singles, but I can appreciate the beauty of this. When released, it managed to reach a peak of #4 in the UK charts, giving Emeli another top 10 hit under her belt, and in a strong position bookending an era. The music video for this is one that I'll always adore too - it had a vision set out completely by Emeli herself, and it all comes out at the other end beautifully.

Rank

15. Clown
16. My Kind of Love
19. Starlight
20. Extraordinary Being

Clown remains amazing. Such a great written song

I actually prefer the cover done by my homegirls OG3NE tho

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 13 2020, 03:52 PM
Post #44
Group icon
nabad

Lifted
Naughty Boy feat. Emeli Sandé

Released: 18 August 2013
UK Charts Peak: 08

With Naughty Boy firmly underway with the singles campaign for his debut album Hotel Cabana, it was time to drop yet another Emeli collaboration to keep his name afloat somehow. This time, it was the stunning masterpiece that is Lifted. By this time I'd lost count on just how much music they'd collaborated on together, but this for me is one of their absolute strongest songs. Not only does Emeli sound incredible on the track; the production is some of Naughty Boy's best too. The song managed to reach a peak of #8 in the UK singles chart, giving Emeli another top 10 hit. Having so many Emeli features in the gap between her first and second album certainly helped to keep her name out there, but with confidence I'll happily say that Hotel Cabana seems like a second album for Emeli too because she's featured on so many of its songs lol. The video for this song is great - it has a lot of hidden easter eggs throughout, and it adds to the ~mystery~ of Hotel Cabana.

Rank

10. Lifted (Naughty Boy feat. Emeli Sandé)
12. Sparrow
13. Breathing Underwater
15. Clown
16. My Kind of Love
19. Starlight
20. Extraordinary Being

+Quote this post
Jade
post Apr 13 2020, 03:53 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
'Lifted' is SO underrated! I remember it receiving a lukewarm reaction on BuzzJack at the time but it casually sailed into the top 10 of my chart kink.gif I agree that both parties deliver on this one, Emeli's vocals really soar and the production on the chorus in particular really packs a punch.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Apr 13 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
This rates really showing me how many great tracks Emeli has!

My favourite is already out but intrigued to see what you rank as #1.

I’ve always loved Emeli. She reminds me a lot of Leona Lewis vocally so I think that adds to my admiration of her.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 13 2020, 04:00 PM
Post #47
Group icon
nabad
QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Apr 13 2020, 04:57 PM) *
This rates really showing me how many great tracks Emeli has!

My favourite is already out but intrigued to see what you rank as #1.

I’ve always loved Emeli. She reminds me a lot of Leona Lewis vocally so I think that adds to my admiration of her.

What's your favourite? ohmy.gif

She really does have so many great tracks. wub.gif Thanks for commenting Jordan happy.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 13 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #48
Group icon
nabad

Free
Rudimental feat. Emeli Sandé

Released: 18 November 2013
UK Charts Peak: 26

Exactly three months on from the release of Lifted, Emeli was back and this time featuring on the song Free by Rudimental. It was one of TWO collaborations that she worked with them on for their album Home (the other being album track More Than Anything which is equally as amazing). I remember reading around the time of its release Rudimental admitting they were advised not to work with Emeli because she was becoming too over-exposed, but they ignored that advice and went ahead with the collaborations because they wanted to (kings!). The song is such a great single, and Emeli's vocals sound absolutely stunning here - it's one that I've enjoyed hearing her perform live on her own tours too. The song managed to give her another top 40 hit in the UK, peaking at #26, so while not exactly a smash hit it still managed to garner some attention from the general public.

Rank

9. Free (Rudimental feat. Emeli Sandé)
12. Sparrow
13. Breathing Underwater
15. Clown
16. My Kind of Love
19. Starlight
20. Extraordinary Being

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Apr 13 2020, 04:19 PM
Post #49
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
I'd forgotten about all of these collabs but "Beneath Your Beautiful" is one of her best for me wub.gif A shame that it's missed out on the top 10 in favour of the other two

The best thing that I can say about "Lifted" is that it's better than her earlier Naughty Boy collabs

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 13 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Breathing Underwater is a really beautiful song, certainly deserved more than its peak!

Is Highs & Lows still to come? By far my favourite Emeli single but sadly did nothing charts-wise sad.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 13 2020, 04:25 PM
Post #51
Group icon
nabad

Hurts

Released: 16 September 2016
UK Charts Peak: 22

The year is 2016, and FINALLY (after what's seemed like an eternity yet it definitely wasn't) Emeli is back with the lead single from her second album Long Live the Angels. When I first heard this, I wasn't sure that I was keen on it as much as some of her other singles, or that this was the direction I wanted her to go in with her sophomore album. Fortunately, over time, this has grown on me and has become one of my favourites - it's a massive change in style for her compared to Our Version of Events (as is much of her second album), and I can pretty much sing along word-for-word to the whole song - even the 100mph parts in the verses. It's such a monumental song that builds and builds to its final chorus, and while not the lightest subject matter, I move onto the next song on such a high. Sadly for Emeli, this did mark her 'sophomore slump' as the song only peaked at #22 in the UK.

Rank

8. Hurts
12. Sparrow
13. Breathing Underwater
15. Clown
16. My Kind of Love
19. Starlight
20. Extraordinary Being

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 13 2020, 04:25 PM
Post #52
Group icon
nabad
QUOTE(Beverly 💪 @ Apr 13 2020, 05:21 PM) *
Is Highs & Lows still to come? By far my favourite Emeli single but sadly did nothing charts-wise sad.gif

It is! magic.gif

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Apr 13 2020, 04:26 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
My Kind Of Love it's the best of her...why so low sob.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 13 2020, 04:43 PM
Post #54
Group icon
nabad

Wonder

Released: 19 October 2012
UK Charts Peak: 10

Just ONE DAY (!) after the release of Beneath Your Beautiful, Emeli was on another collaboration with Naughty Boy, and this time it was Wonder - probably their most high-profile collaboration to date (and probably that we'll ever have given they no longer seem to be linked with regards to songwriting, producing, etc). Wonder was a beacon of hope, it's a song that really encapsulates everything about what makes us all so amazing and... wonderful. Emeli's vocals on this track are absolutely incredible, and I think one of the things that also adds to how brilliant this song is for me, is the video. The accompanying music video really fits in with the theme perfectly - the colours, the whole aesthetic is beautiful and I don't think there's a song that quite managed to inspire me like this did at the time (there are others that have since come along and have taken its place).

Rank

7. Wonder (Naughty Boy feat. Emeli Sandé)
8. Hurts
12. Sparrow
13. Breathing Underwater
15. Clown
16. My Kind of Love
19. Starlight
20. Extraordinary Being

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Apr 13 2020, 04:45 PM
Post #55
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
Hurts is a BANGER

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Apr 13 2020, 04:53 PM
Post #56
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
"Wonder", YES, definitely the superior of the Naughty Boy collabs wub.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 13 2020, 05:01 PM
Post #57
Group icon
nabad

Next to Me

Released: 10 February 2012
UK Charts Peak: 02

Undeniably one of the songs that people think of or would associate with Emeli is the third single from her debut album Our Version of Events, Next to Me. Being one of her most successful singles to date too, Next to Me was released as the first US single from the album, and on top of all of this it became the fourteenth best-selling single of 2012 in the UK. It managed to reach a peak of #2, narrowly missing out on the top spot, and it charted top 10 in many countries worldwide. For me, though, while I appreciate its mass appeal and how iconic it is when one thinks about Emeli's achievements, it's not her absolute best and I think overplay did kill some momentum that it had going for it at the time. I still enjoy it when it comes on shuffle or I listen to her albums, and it's the perfect way for her to close her shows when touring - it gets the crowd on their feet, keeps the flop fans from leaving early like they always do, and ensures everybody leaves feeling in a positively brilliant mood.

Rank

6. Next to Me
8. Hurts
12. Sparrow
13. Breathing Underwater
15. Clown
16. My Kind of Love
19. Starlight
20. Extraordinary Being

+Quote this post
*Tim
post Apr 13 2020, 05:04 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660
QUOTE(Calum 🐠 @ Apr 13 2020, 04:43 PM) *

Wonder

Released: 19 October 2012
UK Charts Peak: 10

Just ONE DAY (!) after the release of Beneath Your Beautiful, Emeli was on another collaboration with Naughty Boy, and this time it was Wonder - probably their most high-profile collaboration to date (and probably that we'll ever have given they no longer seem to be linked with regards to songwriting, producing, etc). Wonder was a beacon of hope, it's a song that really encapsulates everything about what makes us all so amazing and... wonderful. Emeli's vocals on this track are absolutely incredible, and I think one of the things that also adds to how brilliant this song is for me, is the video. The accompanying music video really fits in with the theme perfectly - the colours, the whole aesthetic is beautiful and I don't think there's a song that quite managed to inspire me like this did at the time (there are others that have since come along and have taken its place).

Rank

8. Hurts
12. Sparrow
13. Breathing Underwater
15. Clown
16. My Kind of Love
19. Starlight
20. Extraordinary Being

A TRAVESSTY

I hated Naughty Boy ever since he came for Alexandra and Rochelle but this was a banger

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 13 2020, 05:08 PM
Post #59
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
yasss at the high placing for Free, a really underrated chilled song wub.gif

Adore the two Naughty Boy singles too!

The release of Sparrow as the lead single was a bit odd for me - its an even less mainstream version of Breathing Underwater which underperformed in the first ace. I’ve given Real Life a few listens though and it’s a great album. As a package, I prefer it to the debut and I’ve never listened to the second album oops

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 13 2020, 05:15 PM
Post #60
Group icon
nabad
QUOTE(Karen 🥂 @ Apr 13 2020, 06:08 PM) *
yasss at the high placing for Free, a really underrated chilled song wub.gif

Adore the two Naughty Boy singles too!

The release of Sparrow as the lead single was a bit odd for me - its an even less mainstream version of Breathing Underwater which underperformed in the first ace. I’ve given Real Life a few listens though and it’s a great album. As a package, I prefer it to the debut and I’ve never listened to the second album oops

Yeah, to be honest I don't think anything could have worked any better than Sparrow as a lead single though - pretty much all of REAL LIFE is in no way mainstream or commercial enough to get a hit oops. You need to listen to Long Live the Angels though, not as good as REAL LIFE but certainly better than the debut for me now too.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:41 PM