BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How long does iTunes have left?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Cremey
post 8th December 2017, 01:50 AM
Post #41
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

I haven’t used a laptop for buzzjack for about two years...
Anyway, interested in seeing how the two new Camila tracks do heart.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 8th December 2017, 07:34 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

QUOTE(chartjack @ Dec 7 2017, 11:40 PM) *
I wonder what will eventually replace streaming?

I don't see what can, which is why I find it odd that people talk about the market peaking, like people are going to stop streaming and do something else unsure.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 8th December 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

QUOTE(jase. @ Dec 7 2017, 07:28 PM) *
Um...not me. Laptop here! Is that considered too old fashioned now? laugh.gif

My point was technology and times change. You have a laptop that does things you probably did before (like send an email instead of a letter etc) but you embrace it. There is this weird notion with some music fans that any change is bad.

I mean there have been people in this thread saying they don't want access to millions of songs to stream. The mind boggles, why on earth not? What do you have to lose? You might discover new music or an artist or heck just listen to a song off an advert.

As for artists earning money I think with the way streaming is rising that is surely less of a problem. Worrying about obscure indie bands not earning enough from it is not surely a streaming issue, surely those bands have always struggled to make money outside of live gigs.

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 8th December 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 8 2017, 01:11 PM) *
What do you have to lose?

I think the main problem that has been highlighted is that tracks are only available to stream at discretion of the labels, some of which go bust, or pull tracks at their will. By owning the track and backing it up etc you never have to worry about your favourite tracks being pulled.

Anyway just because Apple are pulling iTunes doesn't mean other outlets will disappear. Digital versions of the tracks are still important to certain groups such as DJs.

+Quote this post
danG
post 8th December 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #45
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

If labels take songs off streaming chances are they will still be available on YouTube or some dodgy website so it's unlikely that songs will disappear off the face of the Earth unless they're from really obscure acts.

Also it can't be long before anyone can DJ with Spotify's entire back catalogue?

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 8th December 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 8 2017, 02:11 PM) *
My point was technology and times change. You have a laptop that does things you probably did before (like send an email instead of a letter etc) but you embrace it. There is this weird notion with some music fans that any change is bad.

I mean there have been people in this thread saying they don't want access to millions of songs to stream. The mind boggles, why on earth not? What do you have to lose? You might discover new music or an artist or heck just listen to a song off an advert.

As for artists earning money I think with the way streaming is rising that is surely less of a problem. Worrying about obscure indie bands not earning enough from it is not surely a streaming issue, surely those bands have always struggled to make money outside of live gigs.

Nobody here is saying streaming is a bad thing!

All I'm saying is that there are some valid reasons why people don't want to switch, and that download sales will not collapse to almost nothing like some people think. I also think the fact the biggest download store is threatening to stop selling music downloads, purely to help boost subscriptions to their streaming service, is bad for consumer choice.

I said there are plenty of people who don't *NEED* access to millions of songs, or at least not enough to pay £10 a month for the privilege. They either already have built up a library they are happy with that they only top up with a few albums a year, or they're just not into music in the same way we are. Some people are happy to just put on the radio, buy Now compilations to put on in the car, and download the occasional song on their phone when they fancy.

Not going to go into the royalties issue as it doesn't interest me.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 8th December 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 8 2017, 02:33 PM) *
If labels take songs off streaming chances are they will still be available on YouTube or some dodgy website so it's unlikely that songs will disappear off the face of the Earth unless they're from really obscure acts.

Also it can't be long before anyone can DJ with Spotify's entire back catalogue?

I listen to really obscure acts. And there's plenty of top 75 hits from history that aren't even available on YouTube, let alone online stores, so I've had no choice but to buy the CD single from Discogs to get it. In future, there won't even be a CD single to buy.

I've no idea about DJing with streaming services. Can you play a Spotify file in Serato or Virtual DJ or whatever?

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 8th December 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Tangelic

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 8 2017, 01:33 PM) *

I already know someone who does this... but it doesn't exactly involve much skill and you can't prepare your own edits and mixes using this!

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 8th December 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Tangelic

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Dec 8 2017, 01:39 PM) *
I've no idea about DJing with streaming services. Can you play a Spotify file in Serato or Virtual DJ or whatever?

Virtual DJ actually does offer a streaming version of their service but as with my post above, that still limits you to not being able to create your own edits and mixes of the song.

Spotify has its own Spotify DJ app.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 8th December 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Dec 8 2017, 01:36 PM) *
Nobody here is saying streaming is a bad thing!

All I'm saying is that there are some valid reasons why people don't want to switch, and that download sales will not collapse to almost nothing like some people think. I also think the fact the biggest download store is threatening to stop selling music downloads, purely to help boost subscriptions to their streaming service, is bad for consumer choice.

I said there are plenty of people who don't *NEED* access to millions of songs, or at least not enough to pay £10 a month for the privilege. They either already have built up a library they are happy with that they only top up with a few albums a year, or they're just not into music in the same way we are. Some people are happy to just put on the radio, buy Now compilations to put on in the car, and download the occasional song on their phone when they fancy.

Not going to go into the royalties issue as it doesn't interest me.

This is all excellently put. Why would I want to pay a subscription every month for access songs that I already own and have paid for. I have a collection of music built up for 20 years.

We all accept that streaming is the future but some of us like things a bit old fashioned and I don’t see why anyone would have a problem with that.

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 8th December 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Tangelic

I thought this quote from the article AcerBen posted was key to highlight:

"Downloads unavailable as streams would be grayed out, pending future licensing. “But you can always go back and listen to the downloads, they always will work,” another source noted. Over time, “more stuff becomes licensed” and the grayed out collection becomes de minimis."

This post has been edited by Lenny: 8th December 2017, 02:15 PM

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 8th December 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Lenny @ Dec 8 2017, 03:14 PM) *
I thought this quote from the article AcerBen posted was key to highlight:

"Downloads unavailable as streams would be grayed out, pending future licensing. “But you can always go back and listen to the downloads, they always will work,” another source noted. Over time, “more stuff becomes licensed” and the grayed out collection becomes de minimis."

They're talking about downloads you bought from the iTunes store being playable forever, whether they are available on Apple Music or not. Which is obvious because they don't have DRM anymore.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 8th December 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

I've never used Spotify laugh.gif

Downloads only for me.

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 8th December 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Tangelic

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Dec 8 2017, 08:13 PM) *
They're talking about downloads you bought from the iTunes store being playable forever, whether they are available on Apple Music or not. Which is obvious because they don't have DRM anymore.

Yes so download what you can before you can no longer!

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 8th December 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Lenny @ Dec 8 2017, 09:17 PM) *
Yes so download what you can before you can no longer!

Yes and what happens when a record I discover in 2019 falls offline in 2025 when that independent Dutch record label goes bust?

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 8th December 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Dec 8 2017, 08:26 PM) *
Yes and what happens when a record I discover in 2019 falls offline in 2025 when that independent Dutch record label goes bust?

Seriously though how many times will that actually happen? It is like you are trying to find a problem for the sake of it. What did you do before downloads and internet if something was out of print or not on sale anymore?

Also when music is streaming only in the future most artists wont need a label to release music, they will just upload it themselves as many do already.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th December 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #57
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Will music EVER be streaming only? It's not like downloads totally wiped out CDs, where the album market is concerned anyway. I think it would be absolutely stupid to shut off a significant, if declining, proportion of customers who are more than happy to keep downloading. Personally, I prefer being in control of my own library, with my own tags and organisation, and iTunes is the best for that. I love downloading or buying CDs, and it feels way more satisfying than streaming. I only use Spotify sporadically, and couldn't really imagine shifting full time to streaming.

I think if iTunes shuts as soon as 2018, it would be a silly move from Apple and would probably benefit Amazon MP3 more than Apple Music really. I know I'd just migrate to another download site if iTunes shuts.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 9th December 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 9 2017, 12:06 AM) *
Seriously though how many times will that actually happen? It is like you are trying to find a problem for the sake of it. What did you do before downloads and internet if something was out of print or not on sale anymore?

Also when music is streaming only in the future most artists wont need a label to release music, they will just upload it themselves as many do already.

Before the Internet, I had to do without. Why would I want to do that? I know it won't affect most people - most people listen to big artists who will never fall offline. I'm just giving my own personal reasons for why *I* can't switch to streaming, because I'm sick of people just saying I'm out of touch.

And whether you're with a label or not, your music doesn't stay online indefinitely. I've seen so many digital-era songs disappear from stores already.

This post has been edited by AcerBen: 9th December 2017, 10:47 AM

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 9th December 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 9 2017, 12:09 AM) *
Will music EVER be streaming only? It's not like downloads totally wiped out CDs, where the album market is concerned anyway. I think it would be absolutely stupid to shut off a significant, if declining, proportion of customers who are more than happy to keep downloading. Personally, I prefer being in control of my own library, with my own tags and organisation, and iTunes is the best for that. I love downloading or buying CDs, and it feels way more satisfying than streaming. I only use Spotify sporadically, and couldn't really imagine shifting full time to streaming.

I think if iTunes shuts as soon as 2018, it would be a silly move from Apple and would probably benefit Amazon MP3 more than Apple Music really. I know I'd just migrate to another download site if iTunes shuts.

Fingers crossed the other ones will keep going

This post has been edited by AcerBen: 9th December 2017, 10:46 AM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 9th December 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #60
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

I guess people affected by odd songs that they like falling offline will have to do a Youtube convert or record them with Audacity from a web stream if they can't legally stream or purchase them anymore. It's annoying for sure but not something that will affect very many people.

I barely ever download on iTunes anymore but I still use iTunes as a programme and still even use an iPod, so this is quite sad for me, but I suppose it was always going to happen. That said, I agree with others and think paid downloads will continue to be a thing regardless of whether iTunes is open or not. As long as there is at least a small, niche market for something, somebody will exploit it in some way. Even if it's some currently very small service seeing an opportunity and picking up the pieces - but more likely Amazon laugh.gif

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 9th December 2017, 11:04 AM

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 06:37 PM