BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's Top 40 so far this month 04, up to 01/09, with links and write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 1st September 2016, 01:45 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Tove Lo becomes the first artist to remain at #1 more than a week so far this year. New entries come from the surprise returns of Dev and Empire of the Sun, along with some under-the-radar releases. Here's the top 40 in more detail, from the last 30 days up to 01/09/16:

01 Tove Lo - Cool Girl [15-4-1-1]
02 Tayler Buono - Something About You [10-2]
03 Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer [25-10-3-3]
04 Bear's Den - Emeralds [36-30-4]
05 Warpaint - New Song [20-5]
06 Glass Animals - Youth [14-12-9-6]
07 Mallrat - For Real [28-18-7]
08 Honne ft. Izzy Bizu - Someone That Loves You [15-8]
09 Molly Marlette - Do Me a Favor [32-9]
10 Sandra Lyng - Moonrise [21-10]
11 Annabel Jones - Not Today [22-11]
12 Young Summer - Paused Parade [N]
13 Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears [40-13]
14 George Maple - Sticks and Horses [9-6-2-14]
15 M83 - Walkway Blues [5-5-4-15]
16 Uppermost ft. Lisa Alma - Talisman [34-16]
17 Hoosiers - Somewhere in the Distance [N]
18 Kate Nash - Good Summer [31-18]
19 Katelyn Tarver - Weekend Millionaires [11-13-8-19]
20 Izzy Bizu - White Tiger [25-20]
21 Fergie - MILF$ [36-20-11-21]
22 Dev - #1 [N]
23 Kiesza - Sound of a Woman [32-28-23]
24 Arcane Station ft. Marianne Hekkilae - Let Them Fall [36-24]
25 Savoir Adore - Night Song [N]
26 Tundran - Last Drive [23-26]
27 Wild Belle - Baby Come Back to Me [22-6-27]
28 Empire of the Sun - High and Low [N]
29 Britney Spears - Make Me [3-1-7-29]
30 Left. - Fire [N]
31 Tegan and Sara - Dying to Know [21-29-X1-31]
32 Astronomyy - The Secret [N]
33 Honne - It Ain't Wrong Loving You [N]
34 Gold Spectacles - What We Might Have Been [38-34]
35 CL - Lifted [N]
36 Mollie King - Back to You [N]
37 Martin Jensen - All I Wanna Do [N]
38 BlackPink - Whistle [39-38]
39 Luna Shadows - Waves [37-39]
40 Slow Club - Ancient Rolling Sea [N]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 1st September 2016, 01:46 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Tove Lo holds steady at #1 in the absence of any challengers. She's got a significant play lead over her nearest competitor, Tayler Buono, who this week rises to #2 with Something About You. The track is more pure pop than I usually go for, but I can appreciate solid music and have been gradually moving more in that direction with my taste overall in the last year or so. Chainsmokers and Halsey also hold at 3, and most of the highest new entries last week move up into the top 10, predictably enough as they make up the core of my weekly playlist. Big rises for Clean Bandit and Bear's Den as a result of me putting those tracks on my ipod this week. Bear's Den's most recent album is also well worth checking out, and Emeralds is an obvious single choice. Elsewhere in the chart, another Honne track debuts, the band's 6th or 7th chart hit for me this year, and Fergie hangs on for a fourth week in her second chart run since dropping out. Impressive!

And onto our links for this week:

Highest new entry, soaring straight into the top ten is Young Summer's Paused Parade. It's under the radar, judging by the <1000 views on Youtube for the song, and slower fare than I usually would hammer on the replays, but it suits the change from summer to autumn quite nicely. I didn't expect it to debut so high, but there's a bit of a lack of competition this week, and I haven't been playing so much music because I've been very busy arranging a move. Paused Parade debuts at #10 this week.

Uppermost soars to #16 with his second chart hit this year, this time featuring Lisa Alma. Its another slower one, with some tropical house and Kygo-esque influence. Alma has soft, haunting vocals a bit similar to Bat For Lashes or Lisa Hannigan, almost Leona Lewis, and as such is an interesting choice for a dance song. Wouldn't be a bad direction for Ms Lewis to go down if she wants to stay in music and commerically relevant, actually. Uppermost is a French producer, active since 2008, but yet to see any mainstream chart success. Solid effort.

A #22 debut for the song perhaps optimistically titled #1, and it's the return of Dev! I've been a huge Dev fan since she debuted and have followed her career and her lesser known singles even as she fell off the mainstream pop radar that she debuted strongly into four or five years ago with Like A G6 and Bass Down Low. (and that awful JLS song she featured on that was a UK #1) Since then she's had a baby and worked with DJ sisters NERVO, as well as a string of niche rappers, DJs, and even a Eurovision entrant. She's got another album coming later this year or early next year. I really love this one.

Kiesza's Sound of A Woman rises to #23 on its third week in the chart this week. I'm featuring it this week as a few of you have been asking me about it. As it has a video, it seems it might actually have been a single, but I knew it as just an album track. It's slower than her usual fare (I'm seeing a trend with the links this week) but rather than an out and out ballad like her awful cover of Haddaway's What Is Love, Sound of a Woman is Kiesza's Crying For No Reason moment. I tend to start playing album tracks in between waiting for an artist to release new material, and because I tend not to like all the songs on an album at once. It may've been released in 2014, but this is pure 2016 for me.

And finally, the pièce de résistance of this week, the return of Empire of the Sun, a band I probably stan harder than I do Dev. High and Low, debuting this week at #28, is definitely a future contender for #1 on my personal chart. It's the lead single from upcoming album Two Vines (Oct. 28), which I'm eagerly anticipating, and would expect to see most of its tracks chart at some point. Empire of the Sun are an odd one - after seeming to take a long break from their last album in 2013, the resurgence of an old single from 2008, after its use in a US ad, led to them seeing their first chart success there on the Hot 100. Soon after, the release of a new album this year was announced. Maybe I have Honda to thank for new Empire of the Sun music?? Anyway, I'm a big fan of this one, and here's hoping it charts officially in the UK or US if it picks up radio support.

That's us for this week. Questions, comments, discussion, as ever, all welcome. Check back next week for more chart moves and links!

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 1st September 2016, 03:21 PM

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 1st September 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Hi Jupiter,

Cool Girl is a decent track to have at #1 music.gif it is growing on me

All I Wanna Do is a grat track as well wub.gif

As for the entries you've linked, my favourites are Talisman & High and Low

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 1st September 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hey there Jupiter hi.gif

'Cool Girl' is a great #1! heart.gif Tove had previously impressed me with the 'Habits' remix and also 'Talking Body', so it's fab to see that she's brought the goods again with this new song. The production is fantastic in particular.

Some other favourites here include Clean Bandit feat. Louisa Johnson, Britney Spears and Mollie King!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 2nd September 2016, 12:15 AM
Post #5
Group icon

Thanks guys! Glad to be able to share some of my more obscure favourites with people who appreciate!

Jade, you should check out KREAM's remix of Talking Body - it's very club-ready! Pete, Uppermost's first chart hit for me, Hold Me Up, you might like. Best!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 01:13 AM