BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Steps - The Singles Rate 2011: Results
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Qween
post 27th August 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #101
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

My favourite thing about DSOB is the reverbed ad libs at around 2:53, I've always found it a very odd thing to have done. Fantastic song though.

On another even more pleasing note, thank GOD One For Sorrow made it to #1 in this.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 27th August 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #102
Group icon
Sundream
User: 10,347

Had a feeling 'One For Sorrow' would win. There's no denying how popular the track was at the time and clearly remains today. At least it was one of the more tolerable songs that won. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
superbossanova
post 27th August 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #103
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 50

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 27 2011, 12:52 PM) *
Yep, if you'd given it an 11 it would have been 5th, such was the narrow margin between the two!

Ah, figures! Mind you, it's not really worthy of an 11, so Love's Got A Hold On My Heart won 5th place fair and square. I should really have given an 11 to Heartbeat but as I didn't give any other 10s I decided to just keep Heartbeat at 10 and have 8/9s to other songs I like/love.

Great result! LOVE One For Sorrow (although little of the rest of the song matches up to the glorious first 50 or so seconds, not as big on the dancier bits). My upset at it being kept off #1 by Manic Street Preachers definitely signalled my massively growing investment in the charts laugh.gif

Shame Deeper Shade of Blue couldn't steal 2nd. It's definitely their best lyrically, a brilliant pop song all in all.

Not bad results altogether, bar Heartbeat's tragically low placing! Should be swapped with ITWYMMF and I'd take that rank fine.

+Quote this post
TF100
post 27th August 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #104
Group icon
New Entry
User: 9,881

No reference to the fact that "Deeper Shade Of Blue" was also a cover of the original Tina Cousins version that flopped? Sadly the original is only around in remix form on youtube but I do like her version. "One For Sorrow" was the right winner in my opinion though!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 27th August 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #105
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(TF100 @ Aug 27 2011, 03:24 PM) *
No reference to the fact that "Deeper Shade Of Blue" was also a cover of the original Tina Cousins version that flopped? Sadly the original is only around in remix form on youtube but I do like her version. "One For Sorrow" was the right winner in my opinion though!

I didn't know that to be honest! All of the facts that I put down were of my own knowledge/memory but I never heard about it being a cover ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 27th August 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #106
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 27 2011, 10:30 AM) *
8. Say You'll Be Mine - 7.37

UK #4 - 1999

Trying the same trick again, for xmas 1999 Steps released a track on the album twinned with a previously unavailable cover version. It didn't work quite as well and this one debuted at #7 although eventually peaked at #4. Say You'll Be Mine was a very light, catchy and happy mid-tempo track which gave the whole band a chance to shine on the vocals.

My favourite thing by far about this release though was the video, which cleverly saw the band re-enacting scenes from various recent (well in 1999 they were) films including Austin Powers, Titanic, There's Something About Mary, Armageddon and Batman Returns and Romeo & Juliet. It was charming to watch and a really great concept for a pop video. Nice to see this finish inside the top ten.
Ahhhh. Their best video, EASILY for me. Also probably their second best song for me (behind ITWYMMF). Very pleased it got a respectable finish and comfortably inside the top 10. wub.gif

Pleased with the ending of the top 2 though. 2 fantastic songs and I'd argue that the OFS dance routine, was just as iconic/memorable as the 'Tragedy' one. Such a good song though. Thanks for doing the results Rich. Nice to see the results of a rate revealed in less than 2 days for once! Haha. You should just finish off the BuzzR8.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 27th August 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #107
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 27 2011, 09:36 AM) *
12. Better Best Forgotten - 7.13

UK #2 - 1999

Heartbeat/Tragedy was refusing to leave the top 20 five months after release but it was time for a new single and Better Best Forgotten was the latest offering plucked from Step One. Using the Faye verse/Claire verse/Lisa versebridgemiddleeightcombo it was more ABBA type stuff but only managed two weeks inside the top ten. Their third of four consecutive singles to debut at #2 for them, it was held off the top spot by Boyzone's Comic Relief single and clearly it was time for new material...

I recall on the Steps Gold video (yes, VIDEO nto DVD) H saying that the glass wall thing behind Faye fell on her during filming. That true?

The video for Say You'll be mine further added to my opnion that Lee looks like Ben Affleck laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Gezza
post 27th August 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #108
Group icon
Ciao, 911? E 'Quagmire. Sì, è preso nella finestra di questo
User: 13,341

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 27 2011, 01:28 PM) *
2. It's The Way You Make Me Feel - 8.69

UK #2 - 2001

And onto the song that I expected to win, and in fairness it wasn't far off! Despite scoring quite a few 11's there was also quite a bit of indifference and thus this song just manages to miss out on the top spot again. I say again as by rights this should have been their third UK #1, but the curse of unlucky Steps struck again. Instead of the usual midweek chart slide, what happened here is that the single was leaked to shops a few days early and as such shifted enough copies to debut at No.72, climbing to No.2 a week later. All well and good but they missed out on No.1 to Rui Da Silva's Touch Me by less than the amount that they sold the previous week. Assuming that that would have been the combined total for the week of release, it's clear to see that this time they were genuinely robbed!

Not true i'm afraid Goodelta. Whilst this certainly happened with Puretone in early 2002, Steps lost out by over 14k the wekk they went 72-2, it sales at No 72 would have been in the 2-3k region! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Gezza
post 27th August 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #109
Group icon
Ciao, 911? E 'Quagmire. Sì, è preso nella finestra di questo
User: 13,341

I think the right stop 3 got picked in the end! Great rate- thanks!

+Quote this post
Ghosty.
post 27th August 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #110
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,886

Decent winner, my personal top 2 are the top 2 here reversed. After The Love Has Gone, Here And Now and You'll Be Sorry should have been a lot higher, whilst Say You'll Be Mine and Tragedy are a little too high up for my liking.

Thanks for doing this, Rich. It was really interesting to see which songs were most liked in general, especially as I'm someone who loves pretty much all their singles!

+Quote this post
Charli
post 27th August 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #111
Group icon
She's only seventeen so she's probably not ready
User: 9,863

Didn't feel the love for 'Say you'll be mine' when it came out, but lately it's another Steps single I can play over and over again biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
cassius__
post 27th August 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #112
Group icon
equally cursed & blessed
User: 6,654

Their outfits in 'Say You'll Be Mine' are HORRENDOUS! Not that their outfits have ever been particularly fashionable, but that one really sticks out.

Good results! ATLHG and SOL both should have been a bit higher though!

+Quote this post
Doug
post 27th August 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #113
Group icon
I can't help that I need it all...
User: 9,410

good results! shame 'it's the way you make me feel' only just missed out, but it did receive a few poor scores so I'm not too surprised.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 27th August 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #114
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(gezza76 @ Aug 27 2011, 03:51 PM) *
Not true i'm afraid Goodelta. Whilst this certainly happened with Puretone in early 2002, Steps lost out by over 14k the wekk they went 72-2, it sales at No 72 would have been in the 2-3k region! biggrin.gif

Whoops! Sorry, the information that I'd read somewhere else was incorrect! drama.gif

Glad people enjoyed the results/format anyway, made for quite an interesting topic I think and I was quite happy with the turnout and reaction to it.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 27th August 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #115
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

YES wub.gif My two favourite Steps songs (Deeper Shade Of Blue and One For Sorrow) top 3! I love ITWYMMF as well, but OFS is my favourite Steps song and got my 11!

+Quote this post
Propilot87
post 27th August 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #116
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 2,101

I'm pretty pleased with the overall results, i didnt expect DSOB to get that high, but looking back it was probably the most mature-sounding track they put out up until that point, the radio edit of this ruined the song though, they cut out the instrumental bits before the first and second verses and that was my favorite part. Surprised ITWYMMF didnt win, but OFS is a great track also so i think its a solid top 2, I also don't get the hate for LGAHOMH, i think its a great track, glad to see it in the top 10.

+Quote this post
artpopchris
post 27th August 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #117
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,054

Brilliant Top 2, though I'd have preferred 'Its The Way You Make Me Feel' to have come out on top. EASILY my favourite from them, and by some margin.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 10th June 2024, 02:38 PM