BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Why has most dance music been so minimalistic recently?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
TheSnake
post 18th January 2017, 07:47 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(travis @ Jan 18 2017, 07:39 PM) *
simple is catchy and easy to remember

Minimalistic production (like in Tom Zanetti - You Want Me) can be a bit lifeless though I think, maximal dance music seems to have more energy to it, it is possible to use multiple layers of instrumentation without it becoming an uncatchy mess biggrin.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 18th January 2017, 08:31 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I don't actually think "proper" PC Music would ever be too maninstream, for example songs by Hannah Diamond. I do think it could seep into chart music though, it's probably more likely to influence pop though than it is being a genre for dance music's chart presence.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 18th January 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Snake Got Hissed @ Jan 18 2017, 07:47 PM) *
Minimalistic production (like in Tom Zanetti - You Want Me) can be a bit lifeless though I think, maximal dance music seems to have more energy to it, it is possible to use multiple layers of instrumentation without it becoming an uncatchy mess biggrin.gif

You are the absolute master of repeating yourself over and over again, ad infinitum. zzz.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 18th January 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #24
Group icon

QUOTE(mr_pmt @ Jan 18 2017, 08:44 PM) *
You are the absolute master of repeating yourself over and over again, ad infinitum. zzz.gif

I was only replying personally to Travis' comment, with the argument that a dance song doesn't have to be minimalistic to be catchy (that I have never said before). Conciseness is not my strong point, you are right, I should have left out the bit about the energy level comparison between minimal and maximal, as I probably have said that before somewhere else on Buzzjack.

I don't actually think "proper" PC Music would ever be too maninstream, for example songs by Hannah Diamond. I do think it could seep into chart music though, it's probably more likely to influence pop though than it is being a genre for dance music's chart presence.

In dance music though it would be very Clubland sounding (especially with Hannah Diamond's vocal) so that would put off radio stations like Radio 1. It would be like 2004's Discoland part 2 laugh.gif .In pop I can see someone like Charli XCX incorporating PC Music into their songs and getting a hit though.

This post has been edited by Snake Got Hissed: 18th January 2017, 10:03 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 18th January 2017, 10:34 PM
Post #25
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

QUOTE(Snake Got Hissed @ Jan 18 2017, 09:44 PM) *
In dance music though it would be very Clubland sounding (especially with Hannah Diamond's vocal) so that would put off radio stations like Radio 1. It would be like 2004's Discoland part 2 laugh.gif .In pop I can see someone like Charli XCX incorporating PC Music into their songs and getting a hit though.

I'd love it if she gave this a commercial push (I know it won't happen) following 'After the Afterparty' smashing, R1 would definitely play this.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 18th January 2017, 10:59 PM
Post #26
Group icon

QUOTE(Danuary @ Jan 18 2017, 10:34 PM) *
I'd love it if she gave this a commercial push (I know it won't happen) following 'After the Afterparty' smashing, R1 would definitely play this.

This is more Pupok Music than PC Music. (Lotti should definitely start her own record label or soundcloud sharing account at least called Pupok Music) - the Future Bass Fishermen could be the first signing. laugh.gif

Tbh I am more into PC Music towards the the trancepop end rather than the pop/hip hop end, like the easyFun - Laplander track.

+Quote this post
Travis
post 19th January 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #27
Group icon
hi
User: 22,135

QUOTE(Snake Got Hissed @ Jan 18 2017, 02:47 PM) *

I'm very aware. But from a mainstream music standpoint, if they can do the least and make profit off it, that's what they're going to do.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 19th January 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #28
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jan 18 2017, 12:31 PM) *
I think if it does catch on as a pop influence (like, say, a PC music song that maximizes its pop elements which "Super Natural" was close to doing), songs encompassing the genre alone (and not as a pop hybrid) will end up seeping into the mainstream frame.

"Gecko (Overdrive)" as a driving force for future house is a good example of this.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 20th January 2017, 12:16 AM
Post #29
Group icon

For me the most interesting thing about PC Music is the potential for it to revive the old eurodance styles popular in Europe during the late 90s and 00s, most notably the similarity with eurodance can be heard in easyFun's Laplander. Lipgloss Twins' Doodle is actually similar to jumpstyle/happy hardcore stuff like Scooter's Jumping All Over The World in the second half of it, not with as hard a beat though.

Some of Marshmello's stuff is quite PC Music in style too even if he is not on the label. I would prefer to see PC Music in dance rather than pop.

There is also another factor, I do think proper trance will return within a few years and that would allow PC Music, which has some trancey sound effects, to gain popularity too off the back of it.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 20th January 2017, 01:19 AM
Post #30
Group icon

QUOTE(travis @ Jan 19 2017, 07:32 PM) *
I'm very aware. But from a mainstream music standpoint, if they can do the least and make profit off it, that's what they're going to do.

It is lazy just to put a bassline and a beat into an instrumental for a track I think. By compaison, maximal funky house songs like Tears by Clean Bandit often have a beat, bassline, piano and disco strings in them.

Trance and progressive house often change a lot throughout the course of the songs, and there are often muliple layers building, climaxing and then diminishing at times.

Compared to these styles, minimal is definitely easier to make.

+Quote this post
Sonar
post 20th January 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 23,078

Minimalistic production can be a bit lifeless

One can hypothesize that rough and sharp samples in trap and tropical music are used to compensate for that.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 20th January 2017, 11:35 AM
Post #32
Group icon

QUOTE(Sonar @ Jan 20 2017, 10:43 AM) *
One can hypothesize that rough and sharp samples in trap and tropical music are used to compensate for that.

The early EDM style Trap (Trap has existed for years as a non EDM genre before that) I liked - Baauer and Just Blaze ft Jay Z - Higher was great I thought (mostly because it is has so much going on in it and is definitely not a minimalistic song) - would welcome a return of this sort of trap.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 20th January 2017, 03:46 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

Minimalistic production (like in Tom Zanetti - You Want Me)

Just came here to say how much I dislike this abysmal "song"... if you can even call it that. Worst song of 2016.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 20th January 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #34
Group icon

QUOTE(Juliano @ Jan 20 2017, 03:46 PM) *
Just came here to say how much I dislike this abysmal "song"... if you can even call it that. Worst song of 2016.

Dawin and Silento's Dessert says Hi.

+Quote this post
callmeDim
post 22nd January 2017, 11:17 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,971

QUOTE(Snake Got Hissed @ Jan 20 2017, 06:19 AM) *
It is lazy just to put a bassline and a beat into an instrumental for a track I think.

yeah, producing music is an effortless process after all: let's add this, that and...um, this stuff to the track - ok, it's done! oh, totally forgot to sing some sh!t.
lmao @ pupok music (in Russian this word stands for belly button), I just imagined a lot of belly buttons spinning around in a banal music video for the track that has been written specially for the video
I don't mind minimalistic music to be the trendsetter as it really pumps me up and touches my heart strings over and over again. Why dance music went this way? Maybe because the whole concept of EDM is simple - to make people relax in dance moves, not to load them (sometimes styles like hardstyle/happy hardcore do relax when you're into rave, for example). And I do agree with the above - one of the main purposes for house music/EDM was to animate the old hits, to breathe life into songs that has never pretended to be popular or contra - into bearded smash-hits for younger generation.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 23rd January 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #36
Group icon

QUOTE(djgrafdemon @ Jan 22 2017, 11:17 PM) *
yeah, producing music is an effortless process after all: let's add this, that and...um, this stuff to the track - ok, it's done! oh, totally forgot to sing some sh!t.
lmao @ pupok music (in Russian this word stands for belly button), I just imagined a lot of belly buttons spinning around in a banal music video for the track that has been written specially for the video
I don't mind minimalistic music to be the trendsetter as it really pumps me up and touches my heart strings over and over again. Why dance music went this way? Maybe because the whole concept of EDM is simple - to make people relax in dance moves, not to load them (sometimes styles like hardstyle/happy hardcore do relax when you're into rave, for example). And I do agree with the above - one of the main purposes for house music/EDM was to animate the old hits, to breathe life into songs that has never pretended to be popular or contra - into bearded smash-hits for younger generation.

Pupok is the name of Princess_Lotita's BJSC country! Named after a scorpion character from a TV show she liked called Pupok, we knew it was Ukrainian for belly button, but not Russian too ohmy.gif

Jax Jones or Tom Zanetti could definitely have put a little more into their tracks in parts in terms of other sounds on top of what was there, I just find the bassline/minimal house genre they belong to as being a bit one dimensional. It's my memories of how lively chart dance used to be in the past (from 2002 to 2012) that makes me think this I think. But obviously the teenagers today who mostly buy and stream the songs to get them into the chart. They would see the cheesy 2009-2012 global dance and think that todays minimal dance is cooler and better, and I can understand.

Also maybe because as I remember reading, there are less nightclubs now in the UK than in the 2000s or early 2010s and therefore less people go out clubbing, EDM is primarily seen more as a genre to chill to therefore the chilled varieties will naturally do well.

I do think maximal dance forms will come back soon.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 23rd January 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #37
Group icon

QUOTE(djgrafdemon @ Jan 22 2017, 11:17 PM) *

Made a logo and a slogan (written without capitals as that's how Lotti writes most of her posts) for Pupok Music using Lotti's Pupok flag...introducing the new rival to PC Music happy.gif

This post has been edited by Snake Got Hissed: 23rd January 2017, 06:15 PM

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 23rd January 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #38
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

Lindsey's hard work being ruined by a paint edit laugh.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 23rd January 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #39
Group icon

QUOTE(Cameron @ Jan 23 2017, 06:14 PM) *
Lindsey's hard work being ruined by a paint edit laugh.gif

Didn't know it was her design, thought it was Lotti's ohmy.gif .It's a great design by the way for a flag, very belly buttony.

I may start a new genre of music with its own soundcloud page called Pupok Music, not sure what it would sound like, but it would have to be a bit influenced by the style of Lotti's BJSC entries, hence the 'pupok' name. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Snake Got Hissed: 23rd January 2017, 06:26 PM

+Quote this post
lotita
post 23rd January 2017, 06:30 PM
Post #40
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

QUOTE(Snake Got Hissed @ Jan 23 2017, 06:06 PM) *
Made a logo and a slogan (written without capitals as that's how Lotti writes most of her posts) for Pupok Music using Lotti's Pupok flag...introducing the new rival to PC Music happy.gif

this is amazing. pupokian impakt ohmy.gif interested to see your take on pupok genre biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 06:28 AM