BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
21 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Funny Girl, Darius Musical
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
eden
post Apr 27 2016, 08:29 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Climber
Group: Members
Member No.: 393
   No Gallery Pics

I appreciate Darius is very busy, but he rarely communicates anything via this forum. A few updates surley not beyond him?! Thanks Megham & Baytree for your input & keeping me up to date. I may yet manage the show & even the gig, if i had details of where its taking place? (not even sure this will be posted, as i'm using an older phone. Will need to upgrade to a smart phone, when i get around to it. Also, i don't have a computer, through choice/age? Still... I rely on u both to keep me up to date, thanks. I saw a photograph of darius & sheridan on this morning'-it was Rylan, showing the 2 presenters, how sheridan 'broke down', on opening night-but given that u couldn't miss Darius, in the shot & given how well they knew DARIUS, I FOUND it very 'strange, that they didn't even remark, that he was alongside her!, or mabey not so strange...have noticed since p.t.o.s ended, he's never been mentioned again. I still wonder if he did something awful to that 'twerp', who has investements in a no. Of programmes. Just kidding, i think. Don't leave it so long to post info please, as i rely on it. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
megham
post Apr 27 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 111
   No Gallery Pics

eden - the gig is on 2nd July and will take place quite near to the Savoy Theatre. It'll be an hour acoustic session and then listening to new tracks and talking to Darius for an hour or so. Darius and Sheridan have had great review for 'Funny Girl' - in fact the whole Funny Girl team are great. There's hardly ever any one on here but I still post big news. Other forums tend to get more info as they are more active.

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Apr 28 2016, 03:33 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 334
   No Gallery Pics

My screen shows latest Darius news on Buzzjack as... Darius is to star in new musical From Here to Eternity! That was 2013.

I'll try to gather together the links for Funny Girl reviews asap.

Have to say that I'm disappointed the Menier ones aren't in a pinned thread yet.

This post has been edited by Baytree: Apr 28 2016, 04:21 AM

+Quote Post
SpamFritter
post Apr 28 2016, 03:56 PM
Post #4
Take me as I am....
Member No.: 321

I've added some new news articles. Also put another picture in the gallery.
Please feel free to put up the reviews. Either Meg or I will pin them.
Thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
surrogatemum
post Apr 28 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 7,710
   No Gallery Pics

I always pop in here to see what's happening as well as using the other sites. Thanks for keeping it updated. Sue

+Quote Post
megham
post Apr 28 2016, 10:38 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

This site is just so quiet now. I always look in at least a couple of times a day but seldom see any proof of any one else around

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Apr 28 2016, 11:45 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Funny Girl's curtain came down just a half hour or so in tonight. The audience waited another 40 minutes or so before they were told the show was cancelled due to technical problems. No further explanation.

Darius is apparently at the MADtrust cabaret just now.

I hope they can fix whatever's wrong for tomorrow. There's not a lot of technical stuff in FG. I'd think it would be hard to do the show if the travelators malfunctioned though.

This post has been edited by Baytree: Apr 28 2016, 11:52 PM

+Quote Post
megham
post Apr 29 2016, 09:46 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Paul heard that it a problem with the lighting. No one was hurt and that was the bit that worried me. It's such a shame that the audience only saw 15 mins of the show and now have to rebook

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Apr 29 2016, 10:26 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Very glad to hear everyone was fine.

Gutted for audience members from out of town, especially those making the trip to celebrate life's special occasions.

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Apr 29 2016, 10:47 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Is it OK if I open a new thread for the full review links and use this one for comments etc about them?

+Quote Post
megham
post Apr 29 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

That would be great, thanks BT - there are a number of reviews on facebook - Darius Campbell Archive and News

This post has been edited by megham: Apr 29 2016, 01:30 PM

+Quote Post
surrogatemum
post Apr 29 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 7,710
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(megham @ Apr 29 2016, 09:46 AM) *
Paul heard that it a problem with the lighting. No one was hurt and that was the bit that worried me. It's such a shame that the audience only saw 15 mins of the show and now have to rebook

So pleased no one was hurt. Such a shame for everyone. Sue

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Apr 29 2016, 07:53 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/theatre...t-a3230311.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to...theatre-review/

http://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre...atre_40246.html

http://thebardette.co.uk/funny-girl-savoy-theatre/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news...y-shine-7799111

https://next.ft.com/content/f0c51580-07b5-1...23-b84d06a39ec2

This post has been edited by Baytree: Apr 29 2016, 08:27 PM

+Quote Post
megham
post Apr 29 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks BT. thought his performance was really good. It's a show where all the cast are excellent. The emotion shown was well produced

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Apr 30 2016, 06:02 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I can't help smiling at the ones that say he's come a long way from Popstars and is a bona fide West End leading man and then proceed to add the Popstars clip!

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Apr 30 2016, 06:15 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Absolutely disgusted by some of the papers today. They've printed huge padded articles accusing Sheridan Smith of being drunk on Thursday. Their source? A few speculative tweets when no-one knew what was happening!

One paper quotes a tweet saying she grabbed the b**L's of the Cornet Men - Hello! She pretends to.....it's part of the comedy routine and typical of the bawdy humour of vaudeville and Fanny Brice. I remember seeing it on Tuesday and it got a hearty laugh from the audience because of Sheridan's perfect accompanying expression. She has a wonderfully expressive face!

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Apr 30 2016, 07:33 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Darius's reviews at the Savoy have been very good but we still must remember reviews are just one person's opinion of one performance.

Even the late Omar Sharif ....a huge star with plenty of plaudits to his name and the advantage of re-takes in a movie....could do nothing to please one critic as Nicky Arnstein.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/funny-girl-1968

Me, I thought he was absolutely charming and set the bar high for Nicky.

As a long standing fan of Darius, I'm probably biased but I think he makes a fine fist of the role. Some of the credit has to go to the revised book and the inclusion of Temporary Arrangement which let Darius reveal a little of Nicky's thinking in an era where gentlemen were very formal and definitely never showed any weakness or spoke of their financial affairs. In addition Nicky spends his life gambling. He is inscrutable.

The whole point of Nicky is that he IS so different to any other character in the show. They're all showbiz people or from the Brooklyn Jewish tight knit community. The awkward, naive, gawky Fanny tells him he's like a character in a book and she'd imagined him all around the world.

I think some people judge the character by modern standards or by the golden age of Hollywood when gentlemen were much more forthcoming.

The wedding picture is so perfect for that era. We've all got those stylised, stuffy, studio photos of our ancestors.

This post has been edited by Baytree: Apr 30 2016, 07:41 AM

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Apr 30 2016, 08:14 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

That last line in the paragraph about Omar Sharif reminded me that Mark Shenton from The Stage in his review of the show he saw, with understudy, Natasha J Barnes, said that on a previous visit (personal), he'd only had eyes for Sheridan.

He said that when he was concentrating on Sheridan he didn't realise how good Darius was or even how handsome he is.

He repeated it again in an article this week saying those like Darius dimmed by Sheridan's star power got to shine.

It's a long way up from Sheridan to Darius but strangely the same from the real Fanny to Nick..... One foot two inches. The real Nicky was 6ft 6!

It shows that Darius is no longer thought of as celebrity casting when a critic like Mark Shenton ( in that review ) suggests a next leading role for him.

He said that if Darius hadn't been transferring to the Savoy, he'd make a great Gaylord Ravendal in Showboat.

This post has been edited by Baytree: Apr 30 2016, 09:58 AM

+Quote Post
megham
post Apr 30 2016, 09:23 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

I go with the 'I wasn't there' She was great when I saw her and, if she had been drunk, I just feel it would have been dealt with before the show. The trouble is, things put into print tend to have people believe what was said. My mother thought everything shown on TV or in the newspaper was really true.

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Apr 30 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

And I also thought first night reviews which harped on about Sheridan's tweets when she was reeling from the news that her beloved father has cancer were the lowest of the low, even for Red Top papers.

Tall poppy syndrome again!

+Quote Post

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:22 PM