BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's Spooky Top 40 so far this month #12, it's halloween; run and hide... // top 40 + links + write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Nov 2 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Sabrina Carpenter becomes the first act and song to debut at #1 since I started these charts in July. Not quite a brand new entry as I think she hovered within the top 50 or 60 last week, but an impressive surge nonetheless. She's a spotify discovery; I assumed she might be related to the famous band, but no. This is lush, acoustic with notes of folk and country, united by a high, wispy, ethereal voice. Not a new entry I expected but a very welcome discovery, especially for the season - and with an appropriate title for the spookiest time of year too! Rest of the top 5 is largely static, minus Hayley Kiyoko's rise to #2. Clean Bandit's Rockabye manages a top 10 debut at #9. More detail on chart moves and changes; for now, here's the top 40 in full up to the end of October:

01 Sabrina Carpenter - Run and Hide [N]
02 Hayley Kiyoko - Gravel to Tempo [17-7-2]
03 Empire of the Sun - To Her Door [3-1-3]
04 M0 - Drum [5-4]
05 George Maple - Lover [7-4-5]
06 Warpaint - Above Control [8-5-3-6]
07 Kaiser Chiefs - Why Do You Do It To Me? [38-13-7]
08 Ritual ft. Mononoke - Bottle Tops [19-8-8]
09 Clean Bandit ft. Anne-Marie + Sean Paul - Rockabye [N]
10 Jones - Wild [34-22-12-10]
11 Noonie Bao - Reminds Me [25-6-1-2-11]
12 Lucian ft. Beth Duck - Calm Waters [N]
13 OneRepublic - Kids [N]
14 Zara Larsson - Ain't My Fault [N]
15 Alicia Keys - Blended Family [24-20-15]
16 Girl Blue - Fire Under Water [40-29-16]
17 Solange - Don't Wish Me Well [11-10-17]
18 Lucas Nord - Do About It [14-15-18]
19 Mome - Aloha [25-20-19-19]
20 Sia - The Greatest [22-5-3-2-9-20]
21 Inna - Say It With Your Body [N]
22 Feeder - Eyes to the Sky [27-18-22]
23 Two Door Cinema Club - Lavender [N]
24 Wide Awake ft. Lovelle - Young God [32-24]
25 Ren Phillips x Wide Awake - Blue Ruin [N]
26 Lil Debbie - Wiggle [35-26]
27 The Weeknd - Starboy [12-4-6-27]
28 Anne-Marie - Boy [N]
29 Jagwar Ma - Slipping [30-29]
30 Sleigh Bells - I Can Only Stare [N]
31 Disco Fries ft. Shy Martin - Is It Over [23-31-31]
32 Green Day - Ordinary World [33-25-32]
38 Kid Froopy - bb (four missed texts) [38-X2-33]
34 Jones - Bring Me Down [37-34-34]
35 Tove Lo - True Disaster [N]
36 Wolf Alice - Freazy [35-27-36]
37 Chainsmokers ft. ROZES - Roses [R]
38 Veronicas - On Your Side [N]
39 Kreayshawn - The Ruler [N]
40 Empire of the Sun - Way To Go [N]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears (1)
Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 (1)
Empire Of The Sun - High And Low (1)
YoungR - Out Of My System (2)
Noonie Bao - Reminds Me (1)
Empire Of The Sun - To Her Door (1)
Sabrina Carpenter – Run and Hide (1)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Nov 2 2016, 03:36 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Quite a mix this week of sounds and genres. There's a lot of new entries again down the bottom, and although I'd prepared a Gaga write-up for this week, none of her album tracks from Joanne quite make it in this week. That's a whole other kettle of fish though, as this week sees the first track to debut at #1, and out of the blue at that. Let's get straight to it.

This one really is quite a surprise. Since her zoom straight to the top, I’ve checked out her other work – and really, I haven’t liked any of it. Cookie cutter, generic, very folksy-into-country, almost like young Taylor Swift over again but with less original charm. That makes this one even more of a triumph. I’m a big Fleetwood Mac fan, and this has shades of that. There’s also a sound of Moby here, another one of my classic favourites, Texas, and Astronomyy. A #1 that’s a good successor to the immediately previous one, and especially fitting for the season, October-into-November; there’s a sound of cool air, falling leaves, and warm spiced drinks to this one. To me anyway. The first track this year to debut at the top spot; Sabrina Carpenter’s Run and Hide.

Second top 40 for Lucian this year. Calm Waters features the amusingly named Beth Duck, and has a similar sound to other artists I like, Full Crate, Bondax, Stwo, Saje and so on. There’s shades of tropical house here too, ultimately sounding like another one of the more chirpy, pop-lite Majestic Casual cuts. (A more chill/cool mix of those styled tracks with vocals features in my long-running playlist Majestie which I play and update pretty frequently when the mood catches.) I’m a fan of how, without much discussion of it, many pop songs nowadays instead of following the verse-chorus format, follow verse-chorus intro-instrumental chorus hook, and this is no exception. Flippy instrumentation follows Ms. Duck’s appropriately calm, slightly folky vocal, sounding a bit like a more held-in Dakota from Jonas Blue’s divisive Fast Car from earlier this year. Pleasant. This week’s #12.

This one smashes in solely based on the X Factor performance which breathes new life into the track. The studio version is okay, but Mr. Tedder really sold the song live and had a great tone to it. I've never been a huge fan of either the band or really any of their previous material apart from the track with Timberland (and even that more as a radio hit than something I went out of my way to listen to), but this one's catchy. Maybe even a little cheesy on the studio version, but that's never stopped me before. Actually reminds me of Take That, a bit. Debuting this week at #13, OneRepublic's first chart hit for me, Kids.

Ain't My Fault finally caught me. Zara Larsson's having a good year, isn't she? I'm liking her style in this video, although I can't quite decide if its tastefully risque or pushing the boat out a bit. This has been bubbling under for a few weeks, not as instant as Girls Like or the Guetta track Ms. Larsson did earlier this year, but catchy enough. Either she or her management and producers are doing a good job experimenting with different sounds and styles this year. Fashion forward! #14 this week.

A triumphant return for Clean Bandit, following up long-lasting official charter top 5 smash Tears. That one took a long while to grow on me and for me to get over my initial dislike of Louisa Johnson, the X Factor winner whose run on the show was heavily manipulated from day 1 to ensure she was victorious. I was a little wary of this one from the title alone and being yet another Sean Paul feature. (Who would have expected Sean Paul and Craig David making a comeback 15 years into their careers after a series of flops?) This is solid though, almost a ballad with a nice electronic break and on the theme of working hard and caring for your family. Not a direction I expected them to go, but it’s welcome. A future #1? Rockabye debuts at a comparatively low #9.

Two Door Cinema Club - Lavender

Two Door return for a new era and as is often the way, it’s been an album track rather than the mass-audience-aimed, upbeat lead single that’s struck me first. What can I say, I prefer something a bit slower and a more indie-chill sound than the upbeat, loud-and-catchy releases most artists and bands prefer to get the public’s attention that they still exist. This isn't out on youtube yet, but check it out in the playlist or on Spotify in general.

Anne-Marie has had a successful year. Sound, image, and where she sits in British music-wise, her career feels like a Sound Of… winner, placed into the streaming era. Where those acts would have expected #1s in the past and a leg-up to greater career success (Adele, Jessie J, Ellie Goulding), more recently the benefits have been more muted. With streaming it’s just harder to make a great impact into the top 40without significant existing support and fanbase, so it’s all too common for hits – big-selling singles or iconic songs of the year, not to actually chart high, or even at all sometimes. We’re in the situation where a song could sell consistently within the top 100 all year but never be recognized outside of music fans, due to never spiking in popularity. (Someone should look into making a chart or countdown about that…? Or alternatively, about previous one hit wonders that would do nothing chart-wise nowadays due to the different nature of sales…) Anyway. This is a slightly comedic track with a fun instrumentation, and came to my attention after Rockabye. I wasn’t a fan of Anne-Marie’s Alarm, her successful top 20 from earlier this year. This one from 2015 is not bad though. I’d give it a 3 out of 5. #28 this week.

Second charter from Tove Lo’s second album now. The singer’s first chosen promo with Wiz Khalifa didn’t really catch me – think I was still in Cool Girl mode (not quite my default state, but I can dream!) Lady Wood (not, as it sounds, a Downton Abbey character, but a reference to a state of…ahem, excitement…) is actually a pretty solid album with lots of single-able tracks. I’d recommend people checking it out on Spotify, there’s some pop gems to go along with the pulsing electro of her (surprisingly non-top 40) lead single. This section has a lot of brackets. A solid 4/5 for Ms. Lo’s #35 debut this week.

And it’s another Sleigh Bells to close off this week, debuting in the week its predecessor leaves the chart. I Can Only Stare is the duo’s latest promo in advance of fourth studio album Jessica Rabbit (November), following Champions of Unrestricted Beauty, Hyper Dark, and That Did It featuring rapper Tink. The duo’s signature brash, noisy sound (think a more hardcore, punk Ting Tings) is a little restrained on this effort, but it has its powerful moments. Singer Alexis Krauss when she gets going sounds like what Karen O could have become had the Yeah Yeah Yeahs continued on their noise-riot course after albums 1 and 2 instead of going electro and then hippie-acoustic, which is pretty exciting. There's a sound of Nero to this too. Can’t wait to hear more from them. A #30 debut this week.

And that's the chart for the week. Questions, comments, discussion welcome as always!

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Nov 3 2016, 01:56 AM

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Nov 2 2016, 11:49 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
Hey 360Jupiter,

Highlight for me is the new entry by Clean Bandit, a fantastic single and one of my favourites right now. smile.gif

Really pleased to see Zara Larsson and OneRepublic enter this week, and somewhat surprised to see an old single from Chainsmokers re-enter too!

If you haven't already done so, please be sure to check out my latest chart HERE. I'd love to hear your views! smile.gif

Cool personal chart this week! cool.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post Nov 4 2016, 06:44 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473
Hiya!

04 M0 - Drum [5-4]
09 Clean Bandit ft. Anne-Marie + Sean Paul - Rockabye [N]
10 Jones - Wild [34-22-12-10]
11 Noonie Bao - Reminds Me [25-6-1-2-11]
14 Zara Larsson - Ain't My Fault [N]
17 Solange - Don't Wish Me Well [11-10-17]
20 Sia - The Greatest [22-5-3-2-9-20]
27 The Weeknd - Starboy [12-4-6-27]
34 Jones - Bring Me Down [37-34-34]
35 Tove Lo - True Disaster [N]
37 Chainsmokers ft. ROZES - Roses [R]
38 Veronicas - On Your Side [N]

loving all these here in particular The Veronicas but there are also quite a few tracks imma have to listen to tonight!

Great chart!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Nov 7 2016, 01:24 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Thanks crew! Rockabye is a real banger! So pleasantly surprised, I hadn't got high expectations from the title and featured artists!

Good to see some love for Noonie Bao and Jones as well!

And yes JSG, new Veronicas is the last thing I expected this year, but it's a really nice one!

Check back next week!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:51 AM