BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> OSCARS 2017: Best Supporting Actress
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Feb 10 2017, 03:29 PM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Hi and welcome to a new feature that will take a closer look at the nominees in each of the categories for the upcoming Oscars in February. This one is looking at the five actresses up for Best Supporting Actress at this year's awards:

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

The nominees are:
Viola Davis – Fences (as Rose Maxson)
Naomie Harris – Moonlight (as Paula)
Nicole Kidman – Lion (as Sue Brierley)
Octavia Spencer – Hidden Figures (as Dorothy Vaughan)
Michelle Williams – Manchester by the Sea (as Randi)

What do you think will win? Who would you like to win? How many of these have you seen so far? What actresses are you sad about missing the cut? Discuss anything you like!!

Here are the latest odds too (with Sky Bet) just to see how things are likely to pan out:

Viola Davis - Fences 1/33
Michelle Williams - Manchester by the Sea 12/1
Naomie Harris - Moonlight 20/1
Nicole Kidman - Lion 40/1
Octavia Spencer - Hidden Figures 80/1

Other discussions
Best Picture
Best Lead Actress
Best Lead Actor
Best Supporting Actor

This post has been edited by Josh.: Feb 10 2017, 03:30 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Qween
post Feb 10 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
There's really no question about who WILL win at this stage, but I also think she SHOULD out of the ones I've seen. Nicole is solid but it's such a by the numbers role/performance and Michelle is absolutely fantastic but I feel like the whole Casey thing may somewhat overshadow the film.

Not seen Octavia or Naomie yet but I intend on watching both films in the next few days so will report back.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Feb 10 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
Not seen any of these but I'd rather have Octavia win, I've always been amazed by her.

Mentioned it already but wish Isla Fisher was here for Nocturnal Animals, but then, this seems like a strong bunch.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Feb 10 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
I know people have WON for less, but Isla definitely didn't deserve a nod if Amy, Jake and Aaron didn't get ones.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Feb 10 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
If i had my way, they'd all have gotten one. laugh.gif well, maybe not Jake, he was a bit overshadowed by Amy and Aaron for me.

+Quote this post
randomfurlong
post Feb 10 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
musing
User: 13,969
Yet to see Octavia, but this is a strong bunch overall. I am happy that Viola will finally get her Oscar that she's been long owed, but I am slightly annoyed that it comes for what, for me, is definitely a leading role. However, she has said herself that she decided to go this route and there are arguments for it being supporting (which seem to me to confirm the stance of the Denzel character at his wife's expense but whatever) so I'll live with it.

Michelle was strong, although the film makes it almost too easy for her to get such a spotlight from an essentially small part, but it definitely didn't feel as histrionic as I'd been afraid it might. Nicole was good but even her big moment isn't quite as resonant as the others here. Naomie was good, although I would've picked Janelle Monae from the same film as the nominee over her tbh.

Oh, and in terms of who should've been here: Lily Gladstone in Certain Women was the best in this category for 2016, but the film is too small and muted to have got enough attention. But she was magnificent, absolutely heartbreaking.

This post has been edited by randomfurlong: Feb 10 2017, 07:27 PM

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Feb 11 2017, 06:42 AM
Post #7
Group icon
c:
I'm 3/5 for these, Naomie Harris was my favourite, I was really tearing uo during the scene where Chiron returns to see her as adult, I liked her beforehand but I didn't realise she could act like that! Michelle Williams also gave a very emotional performance which I thought she did a great job with. I love Viola and so pleased she's going to win finally but a shame about the category fraud because Michelle feels like she's overdue now too and I'm sure this would have been her year otherwise. Nicole Kidman was stellar and I believed her in the role but she wasn't phenomenal or anything.

In terms of what I'd have in my top 5, I wish The Light Between Oceans picked up more traction because Rachel Weisz was great in that, as was Lupita Nyong'o in Queen of Katwe although not sure I'd have her in my top 5 by the time I see everything. Also, after seeing Julieta the other day, I thought Emma Suárez was incredible and it would have been nice to see another foreign language actress nominee this year, I know she was being pushed for Lead but like Dev Patel she was only thr lead in half the movie and maybe she'd have more of a chance here. She'd definitely be in my top 5!

+Quote this post
JackJones
post Feb 11 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 15
Viola Davis – Fences (as Rose Maxson)
Naomie Harris – Moonlight (as Paula)
Nicole Kidman – Lion (as Sue Brierley)
Octavia Spencer – Hidden Figures (as Dorothy Vaughan)
Michelle Williams – Manchester by the Sea (as Randi)

Michelle has about three scenes in the film and two of those are non-events. Octavia is certainly less-event than Janelle Monae in Hidden Figures and Nicole Kidman is nominated just because she is Nicole Kidman. But the biggest joke is Viola Davis, she is the lead actress in Fences (terrible film by the way) and because of strong competition in the lead actress category the studio decided to campaign her in the supporting actress category. She will certainly win, just like Alicia Vikander last year (she was also lead actress but the category was again too strong - thou her win was somewhat ok since she should have won for Ex-Machina where she really was a supporting actress) and it is a joke. Naomie Harris should win this category but certainly won't.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Feb 21 2017, 10:02 AM
Post #9
Group icon
c:
Seen 5/5 of these now too and this would be my rank biggrin.gif

01 Viola Davis "Fences"
02 Naomie Harris "Moonlight"
03 Michelle Williams "Manchester by the Sea"
04 Octavia Spencer "Hidden Figures"
05 Nicole Kidman "Lion"

So pleased that Viola is going to win finally this year, she did have a much meatier role than the rest which I guess is a bit unfair but some of her scenes were phenomenal. I liked Octavia and Nicole and they played their characters well but I gues neither really had much to do, I'm glad they were nominated though even and they were both stellar too.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Feb 24 2017, 11:23 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
1. Viola Davis - Fences
2. Nicole Kidman - Lion
3. Michelle Williams - Manchester By The Sea
4. Naomie Harris - Moonlight
5. Octavia Spencer - Hidden Figures

Viola HAS to win here. No question. She blows the other 4 out of the water.

Octavia is good but Janelle is just as good, I kind of wished both of them somehow got in sad.gif Naomie was quite good but I wanted a bit more, I think one or two more incredible scenes and she'd have shot up this list. Michelle is stunning in that one particular scene but apart from that she's not rly in it that much, very deserving nominee though! I thought Nicole was fabulous, her best performance in a while and I really loved her in Lion wub.gif

And despite being a Lead Actress performance (I'd argue more than Alicia and WAY more than Rooney from last year), I'm so glad Viola is deservedly going to get her Oscar (and if Emma wins also then this category change has worked perfectly *.*). She really gives an out of this world performance in this, she gives so much power and heart to her role and is one of the best performances of this year!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Feb 25 2017, 12:04 PM
Post #11
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
01 Viola
02 Naomie
03 Michelle
04 Nicole
05 Octavia

I definitely wouldn't have Octavia in here personally, Taraji and Janelle both outshone her so I'm quite annoyed she's the one to end up with a nomination.

Viola is easily the best and I'm not as bothered as others about her being in this category. The issue I'd have with it is that Viola got the Tony in the lead category, but back in the 80s Mary Alice won the Tony for the same role in the supporting category so.. I think it's very clear who she is supporting, unlike Dev Patel.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:24 AM