BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ed Sheeran vs Harrington & Leonard, What are your views?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
What do you think?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 33
Guests cannot vote 
Mangø
post Jun 9 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151
So there's yet another copyright infringement claim in the headlines, this time by two writers called Martin Harrington & Tom Leonard, who are claiming that their song 'Amazing' (recorded by X Factor winner Matt Cardle) was copied by Ed Sheeran's 'Photograph'.

More details here.

I'd be interested to get people's views on this. Do the songs bear more than a striking resemblance to each other? Is it just a co-incidence that both choruses sound almost identical? Should the writers of 'Amazing' get a share of the royalties from 'Photograph', even if it's just a co-incidence?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post Jun 10 2016, 06:51 AM
Post #2
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
No (it's only the choruses that sound very similar)
Yes (can't be sure but I imagine he was at least subconsciously influenced by the Cardle song)
Yes (though 20 mill is a bit excessive , they should just settle for them to get some royalties)

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Jun 10 2016, 07:04 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
sure he'll settle cos it's identical

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post Jun 10 2016, 07:20 AM
Post #4
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795
Geez. The only thing similar was the chorus. Both songs are different. Chord progressions also cannot be copyrighted. Oh, and why did it take like almost 2 years before they sue Ed...?

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jun 10 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
The more success photograph gained the bigger the pay out. That is why i would think they waited 2 years. Both great songs, but Matt's amazing deserves far greater success as does most of his material.

+Quote this post
kye
post Jun 10 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #6
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169
The chorus is the body of the song, though. It's no defence to say "he only stole the chorus so it's not that bad".
It's not as if they were going to steal the whole song is it?

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post Jun 10 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #7
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795
I agree about the melodies being almost the same and the overall feel but that's kinda it (they're not out of their minds about it). Thinking about it, I wonder if Ed Sheeran knew 'Amazing' and the "stealing" was accidental? Oh, well, I won't be surprised if they won the lawsuit...

It's always debatable how much was taken from another song. Copyright/ownership is general should be kinda simple but it's incredibly tricky at the same time...

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Jun 12 2016, 07:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
The songwriters clearly need a boost to their income after they gave their song to Matt Cardle and it earned them £1.67 in royalties

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:05 PM