BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Creedence Clearwater Revival
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Do you like CCR?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 8
Guests cannot vote 
Scene
post 18th March 2024, 05:25 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Is anyone else here a fan of CCR? I adore their music. Properly discovered them a few years ago and have played them nonstop ever since. laugh.gif I also bought John Fogerty’s autobiography Fortunate Son which was a fantastic read, shining a light on their huge success in the late 60s/early 70s, being screwed over by their label and how the other members sued John even though he wrote all of their music! (I’m aware this is old news but I had no idea until I read the book lol).

Favourite albums
Bayou Country
Green River
Willy and the Poor Boys

All three of their 1969 albums are magnificent. I can’t actually choose a favourite among them. tearsmile.gif

Favourite songs
Born on the Bayou
Proud Mary
Green River
Up Around the Bend
Midnight Special
Bad Moon Rising
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Fortunate Son
I Heard It Through the Grapevine (best version of this song imo)

Again, can’t really rank them but BOTB and Proud Mary are standouts, along with Green River and their cover of …Grapevine.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 18th March 2024, 05:38 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

I don't know many of their songs, but Bad Moon Rising and Proud Mary I don't like much compared to Have You Ever Seen The Rain. In terms of other songs of this genre I prefer America - Horse With No Name to any of CCR's songs that I've heard.

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 18th March 2024, 05:58 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

I’ve only heard their singles but I really like most of them. I enjoy their raw folk rock style and John’s raspy voice. Have You Ever Seen The Rain is my favourite I think - crazy that only reached #36.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 18th March 2024, 06:54 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Have You Ever Seen The Rain was always my fave, along with Bad Moon Rising and Proud Mary, at the time - I was a kid living in Singapore and very little of their stuff apart from those tracks crossed over. By the time I got back to the UK CCR were done and dusted, so it was down to very late discovery of their stuff via media - Who'll Stop The rain via Married:With Children sitcom, an episode based around it, and it's fab. Fortunate Son and Run Through The Jungle from Viet-nam movies, and Green River and Up Around The Bend on Chart shows since 1975. I have their Greatest Hits CD though, but dont know the original albums.

Rockin' All Over The World should be added as a solo success too, I guess...

+Quote this post
fiesta
post 19th March 2024, 04:46 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232

Yes, great band. I always liked BMR as a kid, then bought their compilation about ten years ago. One that hasn't been mentioned, which is a fave of mine is As Long As I Can See The Light.

This post has been edited by fiesta: 19th March 2024, 04:47 PM

+Quote this post
Severin
post 19th March 2024, 05:11 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Big fan of CCR ever since I first saw American Werewolf in London back in the early 80s.

Willy & The Poor Boys is my preferred album but their all great except perhaps for Mardi Gras which suffered from John's lack of control over the songwriting - I totally get why the other's wanted more input but their ability didn't match his.

Fortunate Son is my favourite track of their's but the Chronicle compilations (especially no. 1) are as good as you'll find by any band and as essential documents from that era as The Beatles red and blue albums or the Stone's own Hot Rocks collection.

A phenomenal band, at their peak.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 19th March 2024, 05:49 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

Yeah Mardi Gras is definitely their worst. It’s the only album of theirs I don’t own on vinyl.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 19th March 2024, 06:22 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

I only know 'Bad Moon Rising' but it is fantastic.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 26th March 2024, 10:54 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

This is one of my all-time faves. Super summery. wub.gif and that intro!!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 01:32 PM