BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buzzjack's Top Horror Films Of All Time: The Results, FINISHED | Come Check it Out & Comment!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 27 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #21
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

And coming up in 91st is a film I thought was going to be top 10 ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Maybe not many people considered it to be a horror ohmy.gif

Predictions?!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Severin
post Oct 27 2016, 11:51 PM
Post #22
Mansonette
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(UltraBasicWitch @ Oct 27 2016, 07:30 PM) *
Again this is probably another film I won't be checking out any time soon!

Actually you should watch this. Anything by Argento is worth your time and Profundo Rosso is among his best

+Quote Post
Severin
post Oct 27 2016, 11:57 PM
Post #23
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(UltraBasicWitch @ Oct 27 2016, 08:33 PM) *
And coming up in 91st is a film I thought was going to be top 10 ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Maybe not many people considered it to be a horror ohmy.gif

Predictions?!

Silence Of The Lambs? Great film/not Horror

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 28 2016, 12:12 AM
Post #24
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Good shout actually! I was thinking probably 'Birds' or 'Psycho', at a push! But I think they finished high in a few peoples lists, so I'm struggling to think of other films.

Maybe 'Shaun Of the Dead'? (Which to me is horror, just as much as it is a comedy)

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 29 2016, 12:08 AM
Post #25
It's a cruel summer.

91. The Sixth Sense

112pts | 1999 | America
Top 20's: None

And just missing the top 90 is Best Picture Oscar nominee 'The Sixth Sense'! A film I thought would really challenge for top 10, top 20 absolutely minimum! Did I just think too highly of this or has this really underperformed! I always see it appear really high on horror lists!

The film established M. Night Shyamalan and of course is known for many things, two key aspects being the tagline 'I See Dead People' and of course the shock ending twist! The film received six Oscar nominations for Picture, Director, Supporting Actor (Haley Joel Osment), Supporting Actress (Toni Collette), Screenplay and Editing! The film also scored BAFTA, SAG and Golden Globe nominations! The film was the 2nd highest grossing of 1999, grossing $293M in America and a massive $672M worldwide, especially terrific compared to its small-ish 40M budget! In 2013, the Writers Guild Of America ranked the screenplay at #50 on a list of the greatest screenplays of all time and the AFI ranked it at #60 for thrills and #44 for quotes for 'I See Dead People'! The film remains a key staple of popular culture, appearing on many lists and the twist ending still being talked about today!

I haven't seen this and it is a film I should really get round to watching! Though I do know the twist ending which is a little bit annoying sad.gif

Next up we have the most recent film on the list, any guesses?!

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 29 2016, 12:16 AM
Post #26
It's a cruel summer.

90. Don't Breathe

115pts | 2016 | America

Kicking off the top 90 is the most recent film to appear on the horror list in the form of last month's Don't Breathe, already making a quick impression! It will be interesting to see if it can keep this up in the future or if it will falter as time goes forward!

The film is directed by the director of the Evil Dead remake, Fede Alvarez, and premiered at the South by Southwest festival in March to highly positive reviews! The film was released in theatres in August in America and last month here in the UK and has become a massive box office success, making $150million from under a $10M budget! Don't Breathe looked like it might be a minor hit but a massive explosion of buzz due to excellent reviews on release week saw it significantly defeat expectations! Alvarez made Don't Breathe as a reaction to Evil Dead with it being an original story that contained less blood and focused on suspense over shocking audiences! It scored the biggest horror debut/ biggest Screen Gems August debut/ biggest debut for an R-Rated film since The Conjuring in America and it is only the second horror film to top the box office for two weekends since 2014! An official remake in Tamil has been green-lit!

This is something I am really desperate to see when it comes on Sky/DVD as I love the cast, the trailer is excellent and the reviews also make this seem great! I'm excited to check it out at some point soon!

+Quote Post
Severin
post Oct 29 2016, 01:24 AM
Post #27
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Sixth Sense IS really good but it's kind of disposable. As in, view once and enjoy the twist, view twice and spot the clues you missed. After that it loses it's appeal.

Don't Breathe was OK but nothing new and for me the biggest problem was that the main characters were very unsympathetic. The film gave me no reason to root for them when they were little better morally than the so called villain

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 29 2016, 05:57 AM
Post #28

I really enjoyed 'The Sixth Sense'. It's really eerie. One I forgot to add to my list I think! Probabaly would've come close to top 20 at least. (No. This isn't THAT spoiler laugh.gif) Genuinely shit myself when the kids lock him in the cupboard thing at the top of the stairs!!

'Don't Breathe' is really good too. One I think will actually keep up on repeated viewings, too. Although I agree with Severin in regards to the characters. But may be that was the point of the story? No matter how bad people are, do they deserve to be treated in such a way, etc...

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Oct 29 2016, 08:28 AM
Post #29
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

I NEED to see The Sixth Sense so so bad!!

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Oct 29 2016, 09:59 AM
Post #30
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

I wonder if Slaughter High made the list.

Great countdown so far.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 29 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #31
It's a cruel summer.

89. Paranormal Activity 3

118pts | 2011 | America
Top 20's: Froot (#15)

And into 89th is the first of I think, three Paranormal Activity's making this list*, in the form of the third of the franchise which received a top 15 vote from Froot!

The film is a prequel to the first two PA movies and broke financial records upon release, in America it set a new record for a midnight opening for a horror movie (8 million!) and had the best opening day for a horror flick of all time with $26.2m! In most of the trailers released for the movie, many scenes weren't shown in the final cut which angered fans and used a 'Tweet Your Scream' campaign on twitter to promote the movie! The film received generally positive reviews from critics and performed stronger than its predecessors at the box office! The film was released on DVD with an director's cut and deleted scenes!

I haven't seen this and I have no intention to considering how much I hate the first film in the franchise

*Spin-off The Marked Ones came 190th, Paranormal Activity 4 came 210th and Paranormal Activity 5 came 245th!

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 29 2016, 05:15 PM
Post #32
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Is that the one with Toby and the camera on the rotating fan? If so then that's my favourite PA film *.* If not then hopefully whatever number that is is still to come heehee.gif

+Quote Post
Severin
post Oct 29 2016, 05:47 PM
Post #33
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Don't remember much about PA3 except that it was better than 2 and far better than the terrible 4th one.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Oct 29 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #34
The Lady Said Go Home!
Member No.: 20,835

Paranormal Activity 3 is good!

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 1 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #35

'Paranormal Activity 3' really, REALLY pissed me off. laugh.gif The bits that were in the trailer, didn't seem to be in the film at all and they seemed to be the best bits barring the moment when all the furniture in the kitchen disappeared and then reappeared and the sheet thing! I remember being disappointed. Haven't seen it since, so maybe I should rewatch it now that I've forgotten other things about it.

I loved the first, liked the second, 3rd disappointed me and then the 4th I found to be enjoyable.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Nov 2 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #36
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

'furniture in the iamspamspamami'

What's with this stuff on Buzzjack involving the word "k!tchen" (had to include exclamation mark, because if I typed the actual word, you know what happens) being changed to "iamspamspamami" whenever it's typed into a reply on a topic.

let me type the k word again:
iamspamspamami

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 2 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Nov 2 2016, 03:17 PM) *
'furniture in the iamspamspamami'

What's with this stuff on Buzzjack involving the word "k!tchen" (had to include exclamation mark, because if I typed the actual word, you know what happens) being changed to "iamspamspamami" whenever it's typed into a reply on a topic.

let me type the k word again:
iamspamspamami
A while ago, we had spammers spamming the forum with numerous topics about kitchens. So someone changed the filter word for kitchen to that, which I assume made it easier to delete the topics in bulk?

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Nov 3 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #38
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Nov 2 2016, 06:31 PM) *
A while ago, we had spammers spamming the forum with numerous topics about kitchens. So someone changed the filter word for kitchen to that, which I assume made it easier to delete the topics in bulk?

Oh, okay!

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 6 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #39
It's a cruel summer.

87. World War Z

123pts | 2013 | America

And after going a while without any ties, we hit our penultimate tie in 87th, with the long-delayed World War Z which actually ended up being good, and received no top 20's!

The film stars Brad Pitt and was based on the 2006 novel of the same name! Filming began in July 2011 and was set for a December 2012 release but the production setbacks saw the film being released in June 2013. The film also had a rewrite for the third act by multiple writers and reshoots took place in late 2012. The film premiered in London and also opened the Moscow International Film Festival. The film received positive reviews for Pitt's performance and a realistic revival of the zombie genre but received criticism for the anti-climax and outdated CGI. The film was a surprise commercial success, grossing over $540M against a budget of $190M, becoming the highest grossing zombie film of all time! A sequel was announced shortly after and was scheduled for June 2017, but like its predecessor, it has been delayed! The re-shoots saw the budget balloon from $125M to $190M and saw lots of negative buzz surround it before the film was released. In March 2013, Paramount changed a scene in which characters speculated the zombie outbreak originated in China in hopes of landing a distribution deal in the country but the cut of the film was still rejected by Chinese censors. The film was a surprise box office hit and has a 67% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The film includes music from Muse, who performed a set at the World Premiere in London! The film won the award for Best Thriller film at the Saturn awards and the sequel to the film has still not entered production!

The film I've seen for a while and I really enjoyed World War Z! While I didn't find it too scary, it was really entertaining and thrilling and I love Brad Pitt so I definitely recommend this if you are looking for an enjoyable zombie film!

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 6 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #40
It's a cruel summer.

87. Near Dark

123pts | 1987 | America

And the second film in the penultimate tie in 87th, is Near Dark which is directed by future Oscar Winner Kathryn Bigelow, and also received no top 20's!

The film is an American Western Horror flick and follows a family of Nomadic American Vampires. The film was part of the revival for serious vampire flicks in the late 80's and despite the poor box office performance, the critic reviews were very positive and the film has received a cult following since release. The film earned a small $3.4M at the box office, below its $5M budget but received mostly positive reviews from critics! The film is ranked at #34 on Rotten Tomatoes 'Top 50 Horror Movies Of All Time' with a strong rating of 88%! Vampire films had become trendy by the time of Near Dark's production, with successes from Fright Night and The Lost Boys- the latter released two months before Near Dark- Bigelow wanted to film a Western film that departed from cinematic convention. Bigelow and co-writer Eric Red found financial backing for a Western difficult to obtain, they decided to mix a Western with a more popular genre and the combination of the Western and Horror genres had only been seen in 1959's Curse Of The Undead and 1966's Billy The Kid vs. Dracula. A remake of the film was announced in October 2006 as a co-production between Platinum Dunes and Rogue Pictures but the project was put on hold in December 2008 due to similarities between this and Twilight!

I haven't seen or heard of this but I like Kathryn Bigelow so I'll add this to my long-list of films to check out!

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:03 AM