BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buzzjack's Top Horror Films Of All Time: The Results, FINISHED | Come Check it Out & Comment!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 6th November 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #41
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'World War Z' is fantastic. A unique take on the zombie genre! These and the zombies in '28 Days Later' are the most terrifying zombies, imo.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 7th November 2016, 10:15 AM
Post #42
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

86. The Grudge

124pts | 2004 | America
Top 20's: Cody (#2)

And into 86th place, we have a film I was expecting a lot lot higher than this in the form of the American remake of The Grudge, and it received a top 2 from Cody! This is the first of two kind of shocks in a row of films that I thought would make the top 40!

The Grudge is an American remake of Ju-On: The Grudge and is produced by Sam Raimi and stars Sarah Michelle Gellar! The film was directed by Takashi Shimizu (director of the previous Ju-On films) and is told through a non-linear sequence of events and includes several intersecting subplots! The film was a box office success, making $187 million on just a $10 million budget, but however received mixed reviews from critics! It was followed by two sequels, The Grudge 2 and The Grudge 3- the latter I think may have been direct-to-DVD! The film stayed at #1 for two weeks in America and became the first horror film to top the box office on Halloween since 'House On Haunted Hill' 5 years before! The film's box office success far exceeded the expectations of box office analysts and Sony Picture executives. It was one of the most profitable movies of 2004 and is recognised as the second highest grossing horror remake of the past 40 years, only behind The Ring! It is also second in Japanese remakes and the 10th highest opening for an October release. The film received a 39% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the unrated director's cut was released on DVD!

This is one of the main horror films I've been desperate to check out for a while and is something I've always meant to get round to watching! Still shocked this is so low, the original has actually beat it!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 7th November 2016, 10:23 AM
Post #43
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

85. The Others

132pts | 2001 | America/Spain/France/Italy
Top 20's: JackJones (#19)

And into 85th place, we have a film I again was expecting a lot lot higher than this in the form of the The Others, and it received a top 20 from JackJones!

The Others is a supernatural gothic horror film which stars Nicole Kidman and the film won eight Goya Awards (Spanish Oscars) and this was the first English-language film to ever receive the Best Film Award at the Goyas with no Spanish spoken in it! The Others was also nominated for six Saturn Awards and won three of them and Kidman received nominations at the Golden Globes and BAFTA's for Best Actress, as well as director Alejandro Amenabar being nominated for Best Original Screenplay at BAFTA's, a very rare occurrence for a horror flick! The film has an 83% rating on Rotten Tomatoes- Quadruple higher amount than the next film on this list!!- and it was a massive box office success with $210m worldwide based on just a $17m budget! The film has since been parodied in Scary Movie 3 and Spanish Movie- the latter spoofing several Spanish horror/drama films including also The Orphanage, Pan's Labyrinth and REC. The film has had two Hindi remakes and Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror XXV includes a segment spoofing the film in which the Simpsons are haunted by their former selves!

This is another horror film I've been meaning to check out for ages and I have this on DVD as I bought it a couple of years ago at a car boot sale thingy! I love Nicole Kidman and it looks really good so I should get round to watching it! Still shocked this is also so low, especially considering the critically hated sequel it has been beaten by coming up next, any guesses?!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 7th November 2016, 11:09 AM
Post #44
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

83. Videodrome

135pts | 1983 | Canada
Top 20's: None

And into 83rd place and we finally arrive at our final tie which cannot be split, the first film in the tie is Videodrome, and it received no top 20's!

Videodrome is a Canadian science fiction body horror film by David Cronenberg and is set in Toronto following th eCEO who stumbles upon a broadcast signal featuring extreme violence and torture. The film has been described as techno-surrealist but only earned $2 million at the box office from a $5 million budget. A deleted scene in the movie provides the origin of Videodrome and the film received positive reviews with 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and its cult film status has made it a popular source of sampling in Electro-Industrial/EDM/Heavy Metal music and is tenth on the top 1,319 sample list and has been sampled in dozen of songs! A novel of the film was released in the same year and Universal obtained rights for a remake in 2009 which still hasn't happened. Croneneberg studied Science at University which along with his childhood was an inspiration for the film and Betamax videotape cassettes were used as VHS videotape cassettes were too large to fit the faux abdominal wound. Alternative titles were Network Of Blood and Zonekiller and the film won a number awards upon release, including Best Science-Fiction Film at the 1984 Brussels International Festival of Fantasty Film and was nominated for eight Genie Awards. In 2007, Videodrome scored fourth on Brave TV's even scarier movie moments and Total Film selected it as one of the 23 weirdest films of all time. It was also named the 89th most essential film in history by the Toronto International Film Festival!

Never seen or heard of this, but maybe I'll check it out if anyone here recommends it! And talking of videotapes, any guesses what's next?

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 7th November 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #45
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

83. The Ring Two

135pts | 2005 | America

And into 83rd place and we finally arrive at our final tie which cannot be split, the second film in the tie is the critically reviled The Ring Two, and it also received no top 20's!

The Ring Two is a sequel to the 2002 remake and was directed by Hideo Nakata, the director of the original Japanese Ring! The film was released in 2005 and was met by generally negative critical reception, however it doubled the opening weekend of the original film but finished with just over half of the original's total in America! The film grossed $161 million off a $50 million budget and saw most of the cast from the first film return, including Naomi Watts! Critics praised Watts but criticised the plot and screenplay and has a 20% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. In the unrated DVD release, extra scenes were included that were absent from the theatrical release including the short film Rings- which was also included on a special edition of The Ring released just before The Ring Two was released in cinemas. A scene in the theatrical cut encountering a deer was also removed from the unrated version and some musical cues were changed throughout the movie. The opening scene was also longer as well! Paramount announced The Ring 3D which eventually changed to Rings over its long development and is set to come out this February at last after about 6 or 7 delays! Will be interesting to see how that goes down here seeing the two American Rings and the original all made the top 100!

I didn't hate The Ring Two but it is definitely the most disappointing horror film I've ever seen considering the original is my favourite. This just wasn't that scary and the kid got real annoying real quick. Still shocked this has beat films which are utterly adored like The Others!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 7th November 2016, 12:29 PM
Post #46
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

82. Funny Games

136pts | 1997 | Austria
Top 20's: JakeWild (#11)

And into 82nd place, we see the original version of Funny Games- with the remake not appearing on the list as it picked up no points!, and it received a top 20 from JakeWild!

Funny Games is directed by Michael Haneke and the plot involves two young men who hold a family hostage and torture them with sadistic games. The film was entered into the 1997 Cannes Film Festival and in 2007 was remade in America by Haneke with a different cast and an American crew. Haneke wanted to make a film set in America but for practical reasons he had to set it in Austria! The film breaks the fourth wall constantly and shows awareness of the audience's expectations. The film received generally positive reviews with 63% (I thought it would be higher than that!) and Haneke states the entire movie was not intended to be a horror film and he wanted to make a message about violence in the media by making an incredibly violent but otherwise pointless movie! He wrote a short essay revealing how he felt on the issue 'Violence + Media' and is included as a chapter in the book 'A Companion To Michael Haneke'!

I've never seen this but this a horror film I really want to watch as it looks so good and definitely one I need to check out!

+Quote this post
Severin
post 7th November 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

I thoroughly recommend Near Dark, Videodrome, The Others and Funny Games. I voted for them all after all.
World War Z is ok and fun but to me it's nothing special and I hated the remakes of Ju-on and Ringu 2 but loved the originals.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 7th November 2016, 07:19 PM
Post #48
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

If you do watch Funny Games, don't expect light entertainment! It's horrifically tough to watch but one of the most unique and disturbing movies out there for sure (I've actually only seen the remake, but I gather it's pretty much a shot for shot remake)

Videodrome is brilliantly twisted, again not for the faint hearted but so bizarrely excellent with some themes that really hit home today.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 7th November 2016, 10:49 PM
Post #49
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

81. Final Destination 2

137pts | 2003 | America

And into 81st place, we see the first of all five of the Final Destination movies to make the top 100 therefore making it the franchise with the most entries I think, and it received no top 20's!

Final Destination 2 is the second installment of the series and most of the production team was replaced by New Line as the original film's crew was unavailable. The film received mixed reviews from critics with negative reviews calling the film silly, illogical and begins with the same flawed premise while positives were highlighted as good fun and a real jolter for horror films. The film earned $90m worldwide and was nominated for many horror awards! Digital Dimension took charge of the visual effects and while this was a box office success, the first film earned $22m more worldwide! Like many films on this list so far, the DVD was packed with deleted scenes and has a quite weak 48% score on Rotten Tomatoes! The film was nominated for the Saturn Awards and Teen Choice Awards for Best Horror film and the car crash scene was regarded as utterly spectacular and has landed on many lists for best car crash in a movie! This is the first of all five Final Destination movies to appear in the list, which one will be out next?!

I haven't seen this one but I love the fourth one and really need to check out the rest of the franchise as it looks exactly like my cup of tea!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 7th November 2016, 11:05 PM
Post #50
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

RECAP:
81. Final Destination 2- 137 Points
82. Funny Games- 136 Points
83. The Ring Two- 135 Points
83. Videodrome- 135 Points
85. The Others- 132 Points
86. The Grudge (2004)- 124 Points
87. Near Dark- 123 Points
87. World War Z- 123 Points
89. Paranormal Activity 3- 118 Points
90. Don’t Breathe- 115 Points

91. The Sixth Sense- 112 Points
92. The Lost Boys- 105 Points
93. Halloween 2- 102 Points
94. The Purge: Election Year- 101 Points
95. Deep Red – Profondo Rosso- 99 Points
95. Zombeavers- 99 Points
97. Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse- 99 Points
98. Evil Dead 3: Army Of Darkness- 99 Points
99. Fritt Vilt- 98 Points
99. Repulsion- 98 Points
99. Ringu- 98 Points

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 7th November 2016, 11:34 PM
Post #51
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835

YOU LOVE THE FOURTH ONE AKA THE WORST ONE SAM!!

The second one is my second least fave but its still really good *.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 7th November 2016, 11:59 PM
Post #52
Group icon

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Nov 7 2016, 11:34 PM) *
YOU LOVE THE FOURTH ONE AKA THE WORST ONE SAM!!
IKR!??! I actually HAAAAATE the 4th one. (I own it for completion reasons though. laugh.gif)

For me it goes: 1 > 3 > 2 >>> 5 >...> 4

I rewatched them all quite recently too, so they're fresh in my mind. The 3rd one seems to get a lot of hate, but I really don't get it tbh. Although I appreciate it's probably the first one in which the deaths were quite a bit more OTT at times and got a bit silly. But it had the right balance in that one, for me. The 5th one was surprisingly decent, especially with the ending! Very good.

But yeah, I really enjoy the 2nd one. A worthy top 100 placing for it, for sure!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 13th November 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #53
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

80. Peeping Tom

140pts | 1960 | England
Top 20's: Haus (#14)

And into 80th place, we see a horror classic in the form of Peeping Tom, and it received a top 20 from Bal!

Peeping Tom is directed by Michael Powell and the title derives from the slang expression 'peeping Tom' which describes a voyeur. The film's controversial subject saw an extremely harsh reception from critics and effectively destroyed Powell's career as a director in the UK but the film has attracted a cult following and is now re-evaluated and widely considered a masterpiece. Peeping Tom has been praised for its psychological complexity and the film only cost $125,000 to make! The film was banned in Finland until 1981 and an account of the film's reappraisal can be found in Scorsese on Scorsese. The film has a 96% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and is considered one of the best British horror films. In 2004, Total Film named it the 24th greatest British movie of all time and the 18th greatest horror of all time. It was included in a BFI poll for best ever British films and was 38th on Bravo Channel's 100 Scariest Movie Moments and Roger Ebert has included it in his 'Great Movies' column! The film has been released with many multiple extras on DVD and has had multiple releases on that platform and comparisons have been made between this and Hitchcock films such as Psycho! The film is referenced in Scream 4 and it received strong age restrictions in many countries due to the storyline!

I haven't seen this one but I have heard of this, should probably watch it at some point!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 13th November 2016, 11:28 AM
Post #54
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

79. Kill List

144pts | 2011 | England
Top 20's: Haus (#19)

And into 79th place and zipping forward 51 years, we see a recent horror flick in the form of Kill List, and it also received a top 20 from Bal!

Kill List is a 2011 psychological horror film directed by Ben Wheatley and is about a British soldier returning home from Kiev and joining an old friend as contract killers. The original treatment was a mashup between Get Carter and H.P. Lovecraft that would've been shot in the Philippines but instead it was shot in Sheffield. Wheatley was influenced by Kubrick and the script was originally much more explicit in terms of themes and ideas. The film highlighted current events such as unpopular wars, recession and the erosion of social contract. The film premiered at the SXSW festival and has a 76% rating on Rotten Tomatoes! The film has been compared to the likes of The Blair Witch Project and The Wicker Man. The Guardian included it in their list of their top 50 films of the demi-decade and the AV Club listed it number 18 in their 25 Best Horror Movies since 2000! The film received a number of nominations at the 2011 British Independent Film Awards and won for supporting actor!

I haven't seen this one either and the only Ben Wheatley film I've seen (High-Rise) I hated so not sure if I'd like this!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 13th November 2016, 11:37 AM
Post #55
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835

I don't know either of those oops

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 13th November 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #56
Group icon
User: 13,007

Both brilliant films. Peeping Tom is a very important film, and should definitely be watched by people who like the recent 'steadi-cam/handheld' horrors because this is one of the originals of the genre and is so hugely inspirational a film!

Kill List probably isn't technically the best film going but it's v creepy and unsettling.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th November 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #57
Group icon

Not seen either of those either, but 'Peeping Tom' is one that's on my list!

+Quote this post
Severin
post 13th November 2016, 05:47 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

I highly recommend them both too

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th November 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #59
Group icon

78. Night Of The Demons

144pts | 1988 | USA
Top 20's: JackJones (#11)

As UV is very busy atm, I've offered her some help and will be revealing some results! So up next at #78 in this countdown is Night Of The Demons. A 1988 Horror, Comedy! It has a 44% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I have not heard of this film so I will quote the Rotten Tomatoes summary for it:

"Maddie Curtis and her friends Lilly and Suzanne are ready for a great Halloween night. They're going to a party thrown by their friend Angela at the notorious Broussard Mansion in New Orleans. Over eighty years ago, six people disappeared from the mansion without a trace--and the owner, Evangeline Broussard, hung herself. The dark history only serves to enhance the Broussard Mansion's appeal on Halloween. At the decadent, out-of-control party, Maddie and Lily run into their exes, Colin and Dex, while Suzanne parties it up. Good times end, however, when the police bust up the party. After the rest of the guests leave, Angela, Maddie, Lily, Dex, Colin, Suzanne and their friend Jason discover a horrible secret. Their cell phones don't work. The mansion gates are now mysteriously locked. Soon it becomes clear that supernatural forces are at work at the Broussard Mansion, and that there may be more to the tale of Evangeline Broussard than anyone knew. It turns out that the Broussard Mansion is home to demons that need to possess seven vessels to break free of an ancient curse. One by one the guests fall victim, transforming into hideous creatures. Only Maddie, Colin and Jason remain--but can they make it through the night and keep evil forces from spreading into the world?"

Doesn't seem my thing at all, but I'm glad some people can find some good out of it! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th November 2016, 07:53 PM
Post #60
Group icon

77. Gremlins

146pts | 1984 | USA
Top 20's: Jonjo (#12)

As we continue, we have a film in which I have NO DOUBT about which version it is laugh.gif It's the fantastic, nostalgic inducing, 'Gremlins'. In which I am the highest scorer (and sole member to place it in my top 20!).

'Gremlins' is about cute, little, furry mogwai's who must be kept under strict supervision... this is a film though and that will never go to plan. Especially as the 3 rules are made clear from the start! 1) No bright light. 2) Keep them away from water and then 3) Do NOT feed them after midnight. So of course they're all broken and the cute creatures are no longer cute and start causing havoc and mayhem for the neighbourhood as well as the original gremlin Gizmo and his human companion Billy! 'Gremlins' has gone on to become one of the most iconic films of all time. It's a Christmas staple for a lot of people and seems to have aged pretty well into other generations. It has a fantastic score of 85% on Rotten Tomatoes and is one that has repeatability!

I have seen this ofc, and I can't recommend it enough. If you're reading this and thinking "Ew. It's horror", then don't be fooled. It's not that scary! Honestly. It's more of a Comedy with horror elements to it. If you watch this and don't want your own Gizmo after, then you need to question whether you're human or not tbh.

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 07:03 PM