BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Severin's 2016 Horror Movie Countdown, The Countdown Begins
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post Mar 16 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #41
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Absolutely brilliant film! So thrilling and tense!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Mar 17 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #42
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
Don't Breathe and The Neon Demon are ones I may want to see.
I remember seeing Pride And Prejudice And Zombies adverts pop up as sponsors on ITV2 before they were showing Two And A Half Men.
Friend Request feels like an Unfriended wannabe from what I've seen.

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: Mar 17 2017, 01:04 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 17 2017, 01:05 PM
Post #43
Group icon
'Friend Request' is completely differebt to 'Unfriended'! It has an actual story to start with ;D

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 18 2017, 11:03 AM
Post #44
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
#7 Scare Campaign

Directed by Cameron And Colin Cairnes

This Australian Horror received great reviews in the early part of last year but somehow failed to get picked up on by a major distributor, which is a real shame as it deserved a bigger audience. and is much cleverer than many in this list.

The TV show Scare Campaign has been one of the most popular in recent years but critics are saying it has become formulaic and tired, so when a ore extreme rival show called Masked Freaks appears online, company bosses decide that Scare Campaign needs to up the ante. Setting the next episode in a psychiatric hospital they believe they've found the perfect victim in a rehabilitated former patient but as things progress lead actress Emma becomes more and more nervous that they may have made a terrible mistake this time.

Scare Campaign surprised me immensely as it was so much more than I imagined it would be and despite initial doubts about the acting in the opening section things really picked up thereafter. The film plays out cleverly enough that it delivers on its surprises and we're never quite sure where it's going until the end. The screenplay is witty when it needs to be and the directors clearly have a love for the genre as they make reference to the classics and leave in just enough gore to keep slasher fans happy.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 18 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #45
Group icon
I enjoyed 'Scare Campaign'! It was a clever take on the "prank TV shows". Didn't "love" it and probably wouldn't rate it as high as you have, but it was a great effort.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 18 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #46
Group icon
Mansonette
#6 The Girl With All The Gifts

Directed by Colm McCarthy

In a post apocalyptic Britain, where a fungal infection has turned most people into zombie like shells a military installation is attempting to develop a cure by running tests on hybrid second generation children. One girl in particular, Melanie, seems to be more advanced than others and may hold the key to the future of humanity.

The Girl With All The Gifts, for me, was one of last years most under-appreciated films as despite great reviews and word of mouth it failed to find much of an audience. I was a little sceptical at first as my most immediate comparison was that it felt like an episode of Doctor Who in its production values and style. Whilst I do love Doctor Who these days it is a show that is great for TV but it isn't often very cinematic. It wasn't long before I realized this was more Quatermass than Who and that it had a classic 70s Sci-Fi feel as much as Horror. All of this was to its advantage as it allowed space for the characters to develop and it didn't try to use jump scares or fast cuts to create false excitement.
The film's key strengths lie in the casting of the always superb Gemma Arterton and particularly the newcomer Sennia Nanua as Melanie and it is their relationship and performances that hold the film together. Melanie herself is a character you both care for and fear.

Of all of last years Horrors this was one which exceeded my expectations and the more I thought about it the more I liked it.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 18 2017, 12:21 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Mar 18 2017, 11:08 AM) *
I enjoyed 'Scare Campaign'! It was a clever take on the "prank TV shows". Didn't "love" it and probably wouldn't rate it as high as you have, but it was a great effort.

That's fair enough. Maybe I'm generous but it really clicked with me.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 18 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Mansonette
And so with only 5 films left we move from very good into the realms of exceptional films. Every film left would now find a place in my top 100 Horror films.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 18 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Mansonette
#5 The Eyes Of My Mother

Directed by Nicolas Pesce

Francisca's peaceful childhood on a rural farm is destroyed when a door to door salesman arrives and turns out to be something more sinister. Her father returns home during this incident and apprehends the killer but it is too late to save her mother. Rather than report this to the police they imprison him in the barn to administer their own justice. As her father becomes withdrawn Francisca's fear of being alone begins to take hold.

From start to finish The Eyes Of My Mother plays out like a nightmare, full of surreal imagery, short entirely in black and white and with a hypnotic and unsettlingly minimal score. As the film progresses and Francisca's behaviour become more and more disturbing some viewers may find themselves put off by the casual brutality of her actions and the film did receive criticism for its unflinching nature. But this is not a violent film. Her actions are violent but we do not see them, only the aftermath But there's more at work her than a simple slasher type film. This is a study into unchecked mental illness and how one simple event can shape multiple lives. All matched with a directorial style which recalls early David Lynch. Particularly Eraserhead.
Many images in the film will stay with you long after the final scene and for some this would not be comfortable viewing but if you're looking to experience someone else's nightmare then I'd recommend this little gem.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 18 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Ooft. You've really sold that film to me! ohmy.gif Putting that on my to watch list!

+Quote this post
p a v
post Mar 19 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #51
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
So many of these I didn't watch but they look intriguing.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 19 2017, 12:56 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Mansonette
#4 Busanhaeng

Directed by Yeon Sang Ho

Finishing at #4 for me is what appears to be many people's favourite for the year.

The plot is simple. A father is taking his daughter on a trip to her mother's when the zombie apocalypse breaks out and they find themselves trapped on a train with an ever growing army of infected.

Busanhaeng is an incredible film and manages to combine moments of tension, tenderness, action and even comedy all within a film that at no point feels anything less than epic. The scope of the director's vision is clear. What could have been done with a claustrophobic, minimalist film instead is always looking to ramp things up and make them big. There are wide shots of large city landscapes and huge rail stations which continually serve to remind us that this is a national event and that even away from the action we're following there are thousands of similar events playing out. All of the central characters are likeable even when they're making poor decisions and all have an emotional arc that never feels disjointed or involves sudden characters changes.
There are scenes that stick with you long after the ending - the tunnel scene, the arrival at the next station and of course the powerfully emotional finale.

Busanhaeng is a film I cannot recommend enough and is by far the best Zombie film in years. It is powerful, exciting, beautifully shot and jaw droppingly impressive. The fact that I have placed it at only number 4 is surprising but that is a credit to the strength of the remaining 3 films and not a reflection on this.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 19 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Mansonette
#3 Under The Shadow

Directed by Babak Anvari

During the 1980s Iran was engaged in an 8 year long war with Iraq, one aspect of which was long range missile attacks on major cities by Iraq. It is under this backdrop that one family struggles to maintain their normality. Shideh is the mother who struggles with the post revolutionary regime's stricter rules which have prevented her from following her chosen career. When her husband is called away on national service she must raise their child alone in a country that she finds increasingly difficult to understand. Then when a missile strikes their building but doesn't detonate she begins to believe that something evil may have come with it.

Mark Kermode has suggested this was 2016 best film, Horror or otherwise, and it is hard to argue with him even if I don't quite agree. Under The Shadow deals expertly with is social commentary on an oppressive regime's early stages, as well as the fear of living through a war in which your home is a potential target. It creates an air of paranoia and tension long before any suggestion of a supernatural entity arrives, but when it does it comes in the form of the ancient Persian spirits of the Djinn who are said to be drawn to fear and destruction. I love the idea of the Djinn and am glad to finally see them arrive in a more mainstream Horror. Similar to The Babadook, the film plays for a time with the suggestion of whether or not they only actually exist in the minds of the characters and you can make up your own mind about it in the end. Either way there's no getting away from their powerful presence in the final third of the film.

Under The Shadow is yet another exceptional film that rises above being a simple ghost story and it relies more on an oppressive tension than jump scares, but it is the intelligence of the Horror combined with the social subtext that makes this so impressive

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post Mar 20 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471
Watched Autopsy of Jane Doe last night. It was brilliant and not at all what I expected.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 20 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(PaulM1983 @ Mar 20 2017, 04:29 PM) *
Watched Autopsy of Jane Doe last night. It was brilliant and not at all what I expected.

So glad you liked it. Too many great films don't get enough exposure

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 21 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Mansonette
#2 The Witch

Directed by Robert Eggers

For most of last year The Witch was easily my favourite Horror of 2016 and so it comes as something of a shock even to myself that I am putting it at #2. I had to indulge in a quick re-watch of the top 2 in order to be sure but a nagging feeling that this wasn't the better of them was taking over and I had to be sure.

This however, takes nothing away from Robert Eggers masterful debut.

The Witch begins with a Puritan family in New England being banished from their village due to their different interpretation of The Bible. They set up a farm near some woods a fair distance from their previous home. Then one day their new born baby disappears without trace. Stricken with grief the family struggles to maintain both their unity and their faith. Meanwhile, the children believe the family goat - Black Philip is speaking to them.

I have to admit that having written the above summation, it all sounds a bit quaint and doesn't really sell the film. However, Eggers has created a film in which the plot makes sense because the 17th Century New England he depicts is so meticulously detailed, so authentically scripted and so convincingly acted that it feels almost like a documentary in places. The language used makes no concessions to modern society and this is a bold move but one that really pays of. There are expressions and turn of phrase that has long since died out in our language but they are real to the 1600s. This helps to throw light on their beliefs as Puritans, how they struggle with sin and how their faith that God will guide them may ultimately be their undoing.

I'll admit I'm a sucker for witches done properly and this film plays out like an old fashioned Satanic witchcraft based Hammer film. There's no rush to throw scares at you. Just a slow sense of impending disaster that turns the screw ever so slightly scene by scene. My only gripe initially was that they revealed the suggestion of a witch far too early in the film rather than leave it open to paranoia. In fact you could even remove the witch herself from the film and it would still be effective with Black Philip as the source of evil.
Indeed, never have I wanted a goat more than after watching this film. Black Philip becomes the focus towards the end as the father begins to suspect the goat is an evil influence on his children and whether there is a witch on not is revealed.

The Witch is a modern classic and easily in my favourite Horrors ever.

+Quote this post
JackJones
post Mar 21 2017, 11:58 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 15
I really disliked The Witch, terrible film right from the beginning to the end. It had no scares whatsoever. People were just walking around mumbling rubbish (and I don't mean the accent, nothing interesting was said). All the characters were pretty much as interesting as the goat, and no, the goat wasn't interesting. I actually had to stop the film something like 15 mins in just to see if I was really watching the right film because after all the glowing reviews I was thinking I must be watching the wrong one since it didn't have opening credits and those minutes were simply terrible.

This post has been edited by JackJones: Mar 22 2017, 12:00 AM

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 22 2017, 12:31 AM
Post #58
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(JackJones @ Mar 21 2017, 11:58 PM) *
I really disliked The Witch, terrible film right from the beginning to the end. It had no scares whatsoever. People were just walking around mumbling rubbish (and I don't mean the accent, nothing interesting was said). All the characters were pretty much as interesting as the goat, and no, the goat wasn't interesting. I actually had to stop the film something like 15 mins in just to see if I was really watching the right film because after all the glowing reviews I was thinking I must be watching the wrong one since it didn't have opening credits and those minutes were simply terrible.

I disagree that a Horror film needs to scare you. The Witch has a pervading sense of dread about it and if the idea of Satan slowly taking control of the souls of young children whilst their parents struggle to find salvation in a God that may not even care doesn't work for you then you're probably happier with a film that will either make you jump or throw gore at you. I'm guessing and this is not meant to sound patronising (sorry if it does). As for nothing interesting being said - 17th Century old English may be hard to relate to but pretty much every conversation pertains to a conflict between familial love, religious piety. loss of faith and the struggle to remain free of sin. it may not have been interesting to you but every line had a purpose and wasn't mumbled 'rubbish'
If that doesn't float your boat; fine, that's why Horror is such a broad genre but that does not mean it's a bad film. It's just not what you hoped for.

This post has been edited by Severin: Mar 22 2017, 12:38 AM

+Quote this post
JackJones
post Mar 22 2017, 01:34 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 15
QUOTE(Severin @ Mar 22 2017, 12:31 AM) *
I disagree that a Horror film needs to scare you. The Witch has a pervading sense of dread about it and if the idea of Satan slowly taking control of the souls of young children whilst their parents struggle to find salvation in a God that may not even care doesn't work for you then you're probably happier with a film that will either make you jump or throw gore at you. I'm guessing and this is not meant to sound patronising (sorry if it does). As for nothing interesting being said - 17th Century old English may be hard to relate to but pretty much every conversation pertains to a conflict between familial love, religious piety. loss of faith and the struggle to remain free of sin. it may not have been interesting to you but every line had a purpose and wasn't mumbled 'rubbish'
If that doesn't float your boat; fine, that's why Horror is such a broad genre but that does not mean it's a bad film. It's just not what you hoped for.

Horror films do not need to scare you or have gore and so on and it is a bit cheap to imply that that that is the reason I disliked the film. But the movie was pretty much marketed as one and I do feel that the film was at least somewhat mislabeled and mismarketed and hence the way lower audience scores than the glowing critical scores that the film got during its' opening weekend. It really wasn't what the marketing was making it to be.

And your the final paragraph. Yes, it is a bad film...for me because it just is. I stated an opinion above and I think we all are entitled to one. I read your opinion and I respected it, of course, and stated mine next. Not in so many words but I thought you like people commenting on the films posted here. Even if the films are not liked by them. I thought the dialogue was weak (and NO, not because of the dialect and the dialogue wasn't even close for being my main reason for disliking the movie), the plot was silly and even somewhat non-existent and repetitive, the ending was quite obvious and so on. And my opinion, like yours, should be respected and to respond to my opinion that it is not a bad film is plain silly. For me it is a very poor film and that's that. I was just stating my own opinion and I never said it is/should be universally disliked and it is perfectly fine that many love it. But equally you should respect my opinion and not patronize (because that's how your response sounded like) by saying I have wrong opinion. No, I don't. It is my opinion and for that it is 100% right.

+Quote this post
p a v
post Mar 22 2017, 06:08 AM
Post #60
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
how the hell does a film being marketed as something else mean it's bad? this has nothing to do with your opinion on the actual movie.

someone's triggered~

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:21 PM