BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Game of Thrones • The Bells, S08E05 | Spoilers inside
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Botchia
post 12th May 2019, 05:26 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Here we go...penultimate episode!

I'm ready for the carnage laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 13th May 2019, 04:03 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182

OMGG best episode of the season. I was genuinely convinced she was a goner!

+Quote this post
post 13th May 2019, 08:53 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

There was so many character plot holes and illogical things that happened but I enjoyed the episode a lot for the mere spectacle of it all.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 13th May 2019, 09:49 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Reading the spoilers helped because it made me prepare myself for the awful plot developments. I ended up enjoying it once I got over the plot aspect. It’s certainly was a visual feast!

Once again, Arya stole the show. My heart during her many near misses! I thought she was a goner and then that ending!! I do wonder whether Arya could do the deed and put Dany down (dressed as Jon?)

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 13th May 2019, 10:48 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Argh! I really dislike the way this is all panning out. It’s all style over substance this season for me.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 13th May 2019, 10:53 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

This was just yet another awful episode after an awful season. Dany deciding to burn KL after they surrendered made absolutely NO sense at all, even if she had gone full mad queen mode. Why would she want to burn the city she wanted to rule? Why would she burn the people she wanted to rule over? Remember this is the girl who refused to invade Astapor because she didn't want to kill a single innocent.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 13th May 2019, 11:06 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Mansonette

Yeah, basically all of that and more. So sad to see that a fantastic show and characters are ending in this manner, I mean Varys for example deserved so much better than that (although the character has definitely been underused for ages now and the show has been all the worse for it), not to mention Cersei who basically went out with a whimper and about 10 lines all season when she deserved a huge moment. This season has felt like I've been watching a highlights or recap section, lots of rushed things happening with no real pay off or logic to them to give you a semblance or reminder of a story rather than a fleshed out one. And there is literally no logic whatsoever to Dany torching the entirety of a fleet that she couldn't attack or even notice last week!

I hate being this negative about it too as I really wanted to love this season. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 13th May 2019, 11:12 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Spectacular to watch, but he comes a bad review of the whole episode. It was more of a Dany episode destroying the whole city, I just knew when the bell went, and saw it in her eyes, she had only one mission to destroy everything in her path. The whole episode had nothing to it to be honest, it just Dany having a mad spree with a her dragon breathing fire on the whole city.

I didn't think Jamie and Cersei end would came about like that, that seem a bit senseless to me. Unless they are still alive somehow.

And that big guard that wouldn't die after he was stabbed in the head was hilarious to watch. laugh.gif

I just think Jon and Dany are going to have the final showdown with each other. I didn't see where Tyrion was at that end of the episode.

+Quote this post
post 13th May 2019, 11:47 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Dany chained up here babies for killing one child a few seasons ago. And now kills all the innocents? It just...wasn't developed properly? She was risking her life for Westeros two episodes saving Jon twice.

I know there was some foreshadowing, but daeneys punishing slave masters and burning down a temple filled with rapists are not signs of madness...everyone has been ruthless in this show...

Cersei after so many iconic and cruel deaths having that ending is really underwhelming too.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 13th May 2019, 11:48 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Are spoiler tags really necessary? Is anyone really gonna be reading this thread before watching the episode? lmao

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 13th May 2019, 11:50 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

Cersei...I just...wow. Disappointing doesn't cover it.

Never thought I'd see that kinda reception to the final series.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 13th May 2019, 11:53 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Mansonette

QUOTE(cantthinkofaname @ May 13 2019, 12:48 PM) *
Are spoiler tags really necessary? Is anyone really gonna be reading this thread before watching the episode? lmao

Probably not

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 13th May 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Hmm. I'm bathing in the spectacle of it all, which was utterly fantastic, but I'm actually thinking, that after all those near misses, would it have not been a great finisher for Jon to turn against Dany (which is what this whole season has been leading to) with his own beloved sister and hero of the war against the dead, Arya, being killed inadvertently by Dany's rage? That's what I thought the final bit of the episode was leading up to, panning out over Arya dead and perhaps Jon finding her. Regardless, my heart was in my mouth for her throughout that episode.

Cleganebowl pretty much delivered, the outcome had to be each killing the other at each stage of the game and callbacks to the Mountain trying to kill Sandor like he did Oberyn were appreciated. Jamie vs Euron was a little less good, but that's more to do with how badly the show got Euron wrong than anything else.

Varys going I didn't like, it felt a bit incidental at the start of the episode and was not the way he should have gone. In that yes, if he'd been caught trying to make Jon the king, Daenerys should execute him, but it all happened in the space of about 5 minutes.

But Daenerys becoming the mad queen, I don't see how that makes it bad? Tactically, by coming out of the sun, she catches Euron's fleet by surprise instead of the other way around, making all the difference in the outcome. Then there's nothing to stop her and she can burn King's Landing freely. You can see when everyone throws down their swords that she's thinking of Missandei, Rhaegal and all that the people of this city have taken from her. How dare they get away with just throwing down their swords? And worst of all, the people of King's Landing, who, rather than stand up for their 'true queen', are hiding and implicitly supporting a usurper. She's been made to believe that all her life that once she returns, she'll be welcomed with open arms and the usurper paraded out. Especially now she's JUST saved Westeros (or at least has appeared to). This doesn't happen. Then, those who are against her, die. Which is the one good part of Varys dying at the beginning, it reemphasises that.

Now, it being rushed, that I agree with. The last two seasons could have fit 3 full-length 10 episode seasons. But I think for the time we have, it's mostly done well.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 13th May 2019, 12:01 PM
Post #14
Group icon

Jaime and Cersei dying in each other's arms was I thought always the way that they were going to go? That's been telegraphed for ages. In the wreck of Dany's madness and it seeming a little incidental to the rest of the episode, sure, but as a narrative choice, definitely.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 13th May 2019, 12:26 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 13 2019, 12:00 PM) *
You can see when everyone throws down their swords that she's thinking of Missandei, Rhaegal and all that the people of this city have taken from her. How dare they get away with just throwing down their swords? And worst of all, the people of King's Landing, who, rather than stand up for their 'true queen', are hiding and implicitly supporting a usurper.

But they didn't take anything from her. Cersei did and she didn't even try to kill her at any point of the episode lol. She burned the tower partly I guess but she not once tried to actively go looking for Cersei to make sure she's dead. That's what didn't make sense, the only people she was killing were innocents and soldiers who had already surrendered and not the people who actually killed Missandei.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 13th May 2019, 12:31 PM
Post #16
Group icon

That's true rationally, but Dany is definitely not thinking rationally at this point. She said she'd burn them all, and burn them all she did.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 13th May 2019, 12:40 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 13 2019, 12:31 PM) *
That's true rationally, but Dany is definitely not thinking rationally at this point. She said she'd burn them all, and burn them all she did.

Well, other than Cersei sure laugh.gif

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 13th May 2019, 12:53 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(cantthinkofaname @ May 13 2019, 11:53 AM) *
This was just yet another awful episode after an awful season. Dany deciding to burn KL after they surrendered made absolutely NO sense at all, even if she had gone full mad queen mode. Why would she want to burn the city she wanted to rule? Why would she burn the people she wanted to rule over? Remember this is the girl who refused to invade Astapor because she didn't want to kill a single innocent.

QUOTE(dandy* @ May 13 2019, 12:06 PM) *
Yeah, basically all of that and more. So sad to see that a fantastic show and characters are ending in this manner, I mean Varys for example deserved so much better than that (although the character has definitely been underused for ages now and the show has been all the worse for it), not to mention Cersei who basically went out with a whimper and about 10 lines all season when she deserved a huge moment. This season has felt like I've been watching a highlights or recap section, lots of rushed things happening with no real pay off or logic to them to give you a semblance or reminder of a story rather than a fleshed out one. And there is literally no logic whatsoever to Dany torching the entirety of a fleet that she couldn't attack or even notice last week!

I hate being this negative about it too as I really wanted to love this season. sad.gif

Agree with all of this.

Obviously, it's still well acted and the production values remain as impressive as ever — but the substance that was there in earlier seasons has completely gone. They're rushing as quickly as possible to the finish line after years of moving the story forward in slower and compelling ways. So disappointing.

Just because something has been hinted at a few times doesn't mean it should happen, and if it does then spend seasons actually building up to it in a gradual way rather than going all in over two episodes. It's lazy writing.

I have no words for the lack of giving Cersei anything to do this season and then killing her off in the most boring way possible.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 13th May 2019, 12:58 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(365 @ May 13 2019, 09:53 AM) *
There was so many character plot holes and illogical things that happened but I enjoyed the episode a lot for the mere spectacle of it all.

This is it really — there is enough here to enjoy and marvel at if you can look past the plot and forget how well earlier seasons combined spectacle with great writing.

+Quote this post
Esmerelda
post 13th May 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 294

This final season is so...unbelievably bad. It's like the previous 7 seasons never happened.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 10:04 AM