BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Big Boys, Series 2 - Jan 2024 | Channel 4
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 24th May 2022, 09:19 AM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

New sitcom starting this week on Channel 4 - based on the real-life experiences of Jack Rooke, a writer and comedian who also turned them into a book and a show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Dylan Llewellyn (James 'the wee English fella' from Derry Girls) and Jon Pointing (Plebs) are it's main stars.

This looks really funny, will definitely be tuning into this, especially now Derry Girls has finished.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: 14th December 2023, 05:18 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 24th May 2022, 05:37 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

Just saw the trailer for this, will give it a watch

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th May 2022, 10:32 PM
Post #3
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Looking forward to seeing the first episode tomorrow!

An interview with its creator, Jack Rooke: https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/tvfilm/j...h-b1002200.html & an article written by him: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/20...aight-best-mate

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 25th May 2022, 11:56 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I read his memoir Cheer The f*** Up which was great and detailed his uni life which this is based on, should definitely be worth a watch!

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 28th May 2022, 09:21 AM
Post #5
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

I binge watched the whole boxset on All4 last night. Just a truly brilliant show, and so well timed. It's funny, it's heartwarming but it's also quite moving in what it touches on; depression, mental health, being gay. The numerous 'huns' pop culture references are brilliant as well. Channel 4 would be silly to not green light this for a second series!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 30th May 2022, 05:56 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

This is really stellar, heartwarming and so relatable!

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 30th May 2022, 07:04 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002

'I'd hate to watch Allison Hammond die in a pool of her own sh!t'

Just started watching this - and that made me laugh out loud biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by ElectroBoy: 30th May 2022, 09:25 PM

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 30th May 2022, 09:25 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

So i've ended up binging the whole series this evening.

I'll be honest from the adverts; my expectations where more an inbetweeners type of programme but at uni and with unrequited gay love - basically something a bit light-weight... However whilst there are moments of that, its just so much more than that and with so much more depth. Danny and the depression storyline was so well done and acted; the last 2 episodes in particular were so sad - especially the scene when he visits his Nan in the home. I was expecting the gay storyline to really be at the core of this, but really Danny and his story really took over.

The coming out scene also made me well-up slightly as well. Just so well done, so well acted too. Funny, sad, heart-warming, amusing, down to earth, engaging, confronting and one of the best things i've watched this year.

This post has been edited by ElectroBoy: 30th May 2022, 09:33 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 30th May 2022, 09:40 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Same here, I just watched it all today! I really like that it wasn't just an unrequited love story, that's really quite overdone and whilst that's fine, we've seen that. I loved that the heart of this is the friendship between Danny and Jack. It's quite refreshing to have a gay story with representation like this not have it taken over with the usual tropes, that made it actually relatable and heartwarming/heartbreaking in equal amounts. I feel like it's hard for a show like this to balance the hard hitting stuff like mental health with humour and not have either one take over too much, but this definitely strikes the exact right balance!

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 30th May 2022, 09:43 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Liаm @ May 30 2022, 10:40 PM) *
Same here, I just watched it all today! I really like that it wasn't just an unrequited love story, that's really quite overdone and whilst that's fine, we've seen that. I loved that the heart of this is the friendship between Danny and Jack. It's quite refreshing to have a gay story with representation like this not have it taken over with the usual tropes, that made it actually relatable and heartwarming/heartbreaking in equal amounts. I feel like it's hard for a show like this to balance the hard hitting stuff like mental health with humour and crazy situations but this definitely strikes the exact right balance!

Yeah agreed smile.gif

The show made me feel like I defo need to have a Danny in my life biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 31st May 2022, 11:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

I don't think I've ever seen a show with SO many references that are just spot on to me laugh.gif the S Club, Golden Balls, X Factor, Tracy Beaker moments.... *chef's kiss* genuinely cackled so hard when Peggy said her and Jack's dad made Xtra Factor-style predictions for his life. Genius.

It's so touching away from the humour too, the relationship between Jack and Danny is wonderful and I'm glad it wasn't romantic for a single second, because you see it quite often in shows that gay guys can't have male friends they don't fancy (heck, it happens with straight people too). I'd be interested to see where a second series would go if the real Jack wants to make one - there's a lot of potential!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 1st June 2022, 02:01 AM
Post #12
Group icon

Echoing what everyone says really, I thought this was brilliant! I lived for all the references! laugh.gif I really appreciated the positive portrayal of a friendship between a straight man and gay man. Danny's mental health plot was handled beautifully (the scene of him on the beach made me tear up). Overall a very funny and heartwarming show - hopefully there'll be a second series!

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 1st June 2022, 08:51 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

Just watched the first episode and I absolutely adored it cheeseblock.png I kinda wanna binge the other five all in one go, but then I'm thinking try and show self control and watch one a week laugh.gif

I'm in love with Danny already wub.gif

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 1st June 2022, 09:43 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jαsє @ Jun 1 2022, 09:51 PM) *
Just watched the first episode and I absolutely adored it cheeseblock.png I kinda wanna binge the other five all in one go, but then I'm thinking try and show self control and watch one a week laugh.gif

I'm in love with Danny already wub.gif

You’ll be obsessed by the end wub.gif

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 2nd June 2022, 12:42 AM
Post #15
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

Yeah, I absolutely loved this. Watched it all in 2 days and thought it was just a perfect blend of humour (I echo everyone's comments that the specific references felt so relevant to me that I belly laughed at so much stuff) and then the last few episodes really kicked in with the emotional side. I loved every single character for different reasons, they all felt important to pushing forward particular plots and the whole thing just felt... heart warming without being too cliché in any way.

Would LOVE a second series.

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 23rd August 2022, 10:48 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Just seen in Insta - Series 2 confirmed biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 23rd August 2022, 10:50 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Didn't expect a series 2 confirmation but so glad it has one, one of my favourite TV series this year wub.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 23rd August 2022, 06:28 PM
Post #18
Group icon

I also wasn't expecting it because Series 1 really wrapped things up well, but I'm thrilled that there'll be more!

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 23rd August 2022, 07:36 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

Delighted there'll be a S2 wub.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 23rd August 2022, 07:40 PM
Post #20
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Aug 23 2022, 07:28 PM) *
I also wasn't expecting it because Series 1 really wrapped things up well, but I'm thrilled that there'll be more!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 11:04 AM