BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who • The Jodie Whittaker Era: Ranked, Timeless era or flop fam?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post 29th August 2023, 07:41 PM
Post #41
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

Ascension of the Cybermen / The Timeless Children

Series 12
Written by Chris Chibnall
Guest starring Sacha Dhawan, Patrick O'Kane, Julie Graham, Ian McElhinney, Steve Toussaint, Rhiannon Clements, Nicholas Briggs, Paul Kasey, Jo Martin

Audience Appreciation Index score: 81 / 82
Reviews: Radio Times (4 out of 5 stars / 2 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (7.3 / 93% and 6.3 / 71%)

Been thinking how best to approach the commentary for this one, because there is just SO much to talk about (not all good, either), but I'll give it a shot anyway. As a single episode, I feel Ascension of the Cybermen is definitely the better of this two-part story. We start with what - until later - we don't know is a parallel to the Doctor, seeing Brendan growing up in rural Ireland. Then there's all the rest in between that started to get boring after a while, albeit still intriguing somewhat. How did it all feed into the main story and what was actually happening (or had already happened)? While a fresh approach at storytelling and keeping some mystery, it does make the episode feel quite disjointed at times and like they had to fill up some more time before the big reveal, so let's flesh it out with all of this prior.

Aside from Ashad marking the 'first' return for the Cybermen an episode earlier as the Lone Cyberman, I did feel that this was an incredible reintroduction to the Cybermen, and something that Chibnall managed to nail really well. Legacy monsters definitely are his strength when it comes to Doctor Who (Sea Devils aside) - his Dalek and Cyberman stories were excellent. Having older Cybermen appear early on in the story, and then the brand new versions aboard the spaceship was great. Granted, they weren't as menacing or as destructive as they could have been or have been in the past. The guest cast in these episodes were really good too - Ethan is one that I always think about, and one character that really could have worked as a companion, I think. One of those characters you see in one episode and think 'damn'. If only he'd been considered as a replacement for Ryan and Graham when the time came, that would have made for an excellent Series 13 I think (although I love Dan a lot so I don't know if I'd have been okay with sacrificing him for Ethan).

Anyway, fast forwarding a bit to the final act of the first half of the story and we arrive at the 'Boundary', guarded by Ko Sharmus. They really made us think Ko Sharmus was going to be some amazing, returning character or something pivotal to the story, but in the end it really was just some old dude protecting the crossing to the other side. Anyway, the scenes there were decent and it led us to the cliffhanger where the Master returns (Sacha Dhawan in all his crazy, unique brilliantness), and we see Gallifrey through the other side of the portal and the Doctor being told that everything's about to change forever... Ominous, but how? Of course it's going to be about the Timeless Child, so let's go!

So... final episode of the series, The Timeless Children, and the Master makes the Doctor enter the Matrix on Gallifrey and we end up seeing how the Timeless Child came to be, and that an explorer from Gallifrey called Tecteun found the child and became obsessed with their regenerative abilities and worked her whole life to find a way to take it, thus the birth of the Time Lords. This was a good sequence, I won't lie, but the whole episode ends up becoming a major info-dump and needless exposition that could have been executed so much better. I feel like I still haven't covered a lot of what actually happened in the episode that I actually enjoyed, but it did have its moments. The CyberMasters were a great idea in theory, and harnessing the regeneration energy so that they could never die could have been amazing, but again it ended up looking quite silly even though it was meant to be a powerful, quite terrifying moment. One of the Doctor's biggest enemies having that ability, but at least come The Power of the Doctor we know it wasn't all just forgotten about, I guess.

One of the only times Chibnall has actually managed to pull off some humour successfully is when Graham, Yaz and co. were inside the Cyber armour and then removed their helmets to reveal it was them, and the hilarity of all of that. Was a nice moment of comic relief in an episode otherwise dedicated to rewriting the entire history of the show in just over an hour. Anyway, as an episode itself it wasn't too bad - it was nice to see an old TARDIS interior again, it was nice to see Jo Martin's Fugitive Doctor again, and the resolution was alright, if a little rushed given how much of the episode was dedicated to the Timeless Child arc (despite us still having SO many questions). I still don't really know how I feel about this story to this day - I'm on the fence I think. I can appreciate it for what it is and its defining part in Chibnall's era, but at the same time if most of the elements are ignored in the future and completely disregarded by RTD and any future showrunners, I won't be mad. It's just a shame that it's all happened in the first female Doctor's era and just further fuels people's ideologies that Jodie Whittaker's Doctor was a failure on all fronts when that really isn't the case. A lot of individual elements here to enjoy, but as a whole package, not up to scratch (taking into consideration the build up, these two episodes themselves, and what came afterwards too). The cliffhanger was good too (always great to see the Judoon come back after being neglected for so long - more on them later!), but its resolution left much to be desired.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 29th August 2023, 07:46 PM
Post #42
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Excuse u x

I know The Timeless Children is a bit of an exposition-dump about a storyline many don't appreciate at all, but Ascension is a FANTASTIC episode and the second part is a strong follow-up! It sells the Timeless Child storyline well I think, I've never minded it much as a storyline.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 29th August 2023, 10:09 PM
Post #43
Group icon
nabad

The Vanquishers

Series 13 (Flux)
Guest starring Steve Oram, Kevin McNally, Craige Els, Thaddea Graham, Gemma Redgrave, Craig Parkinson, Dan Starkey, Annabel Scholey, Nadia Albina, Nicholas Briggs

Audience Appreciation Index score: 76
Reviews: Radio Times (4 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (5 / 40%)

Promise I didn't just wipe out all of Chibnall's finales in one fell swoop just for the fun of it - but alas here we are and The Vanquishers ends the highest-rated by me of all three. Despite this being quite a messy resolution to Flux as a whole, it still has a lot of enjoyable moments and, for the most part, Chibnall manages to wrap up most things even if the execution isn't perfect or as solid as it could have been. There are parts that are definitely rushed given how much he tried to cram into the series as a whole, and there are some left dangling completely without any further mention, and some that go with very little focus compared to other parts that are given so much unnecessary attention. Take Bel and Vinder's storyline for example - a very large portion of the series dedicated to both of them as individuals, and their missions to be reunited with one another as a couple too. All of that is given a perfect conclusion, but really what we actually wanted was more conclusion and considered thought for what really matters - not two side characters we're never going to hear from again (Vinder's later appearance aside).

Anyway, one of my favourite things about this episode is that the Sontarans were actually the big bad in the end. Even though they were in partnership with the Grand Serpent (his role throughout all of Flux and the conclusion to his storyline still absolutely baffles me, but I won't pay much attention to that here), and they had their moment to shine earlier in the series in War of the Sontarans, it was still great to see them back and play such a central role to the climax of the Flux, even though it ended disastrously for them. Another thing I appreciate is that all of the guest cast from throughout the series managed to play their part in the resolution of the whole storyline too - we had Joseph Williamson, Claire, Karvanista, Jericho, the whole gang, and then Kate Stewart investigating things back on Earth the whole time too and getting involved in the action at the last minute.

There were some great moments when the Doctor split herself into three throughout the episode, and of course there was some decent enough comedy with the Sontarans - Dan Starkey back to playing a dopey-like Sontaran character when in the corner shop eating chocolate. Although it seemed like that could have veered the Sontarans back into silly-villain territory given Strax was so prominent throughout the Moffat era, the fact that there were very different types of Sontaran still in the episode and more vicious and hungry for blood than we've seen in the modern era, it all balanced out quite nicely I think. Dan also got his third (?) invite aboard the TARDIS in this episode to go travelling with the Doctor and Yaz, and I just LOVE his character so much - this dynamic between him, the Doctor and Yaz would have been absolute perfection had it been there from the very beginning of the Chibnall era, I reckon.

Anyway, all in all this is a decent finale and definitely a step up for Chibnall compared to The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos and Ascension of the Cybermen / The Timeless Children. It has its hits and it has its misses, but this episode definitely wasn't short of beautiful cinematography - the outer space and battle shots were incredible, and I love the whole look and feel of it. There's a lot to enjoy, however one last note is that the "resolution" to Swarm and Azure just being wiped out by Time, and the Doctor conveniently choosing not to see her lost memories (could we perhaps have had the slightest of glimpses before she decided to throw it down the chute in the TARDIS?) so as not to open any can of worms and leave it neatly tucked away for somebody to pick up in the future should they wish (they never will!) was all a bit rushed, and I don't feel Division had a true, satisfying conclusion either. But hey, it's all done now and I think we just need to accept that's something we're likely never going to see now unless it's picked up in Big Finish audios or other non-main-show media.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 2nd September 2023, 07:19 PM
Post #44
Group icon
nabad

Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror

Series 12
Written by Nina Metivier
Guest starring Goran Višnjić, Robert Glenister, Anjli Mohindra, Haley McGee, Paul Kasey

Audience Appreciation Index score: 79
Reviews: Radio Times (4 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (7 / 89%)

One aspect of the Jodie Whittaker era I do love and think (in most cases) they did extremely well with was their handling of historical characters. Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror is up there with the best of them, and manages to be a perfect split of historical education and classic Doctor Who. Nikola Tesla wouldn't be the first historical figure that comes to mind (and certainly wasn't during RTD and Moffat's eras) when you hope for them to pop up in the show, but it worked so well here. Nina Metivier's first (and hopefully not last ever) stint as a guest writer on the show harked me back to the most 'RTD/Moffat-feel' episode so far of the Chibnall era. Series 11 was all very 'Chibnall', new and unfamiliar territory in terms of tone and feeling. This, however, felt like getting back into the groove. And unfortunately for Chibnall, at times, it definitely felt like the guest writers had more of a handle on how to write for Doctor Who than he did for the majority of the era - which makes it all the more baffling as to why almost all of the episodes ended up being written or co-written by him. Anyway, more about this episode...

After appearing as Rani Chandra in the spin-off show The Sarah Jane Adventures, Anjli Mohindra returned to the Whoniverse as the Queen of the Skithra in this episode. While there were some questionable choices about the sound and appearance of her character leading to it being a somewhat underwhelming appearance for those that are aware of who she was (and what you'd expect from a 'Queen' in such an episode), note: the voice chosen for the character, and some of the directing where it appeared to focus entirely on her upper body and face and nothing else - maybe due to budgetary restrictions? - overall both her and the Skithra were decent villains, and the resolution tied in neatly with Tesla and the Wardenclyffe Tower. However, one problem that I have with the story's resolution watching back now is the Doctor's threat of genocide/murder as a means of conflict resolution. There are a few times this happens throughout this era, and for a moment you think, shit this is actually what the Doctor's gonna do to solve all of this, but luckily when we're right down to the wire the Skithra manage to flee Earth as opposed to being wiped out brutally by the electrical bolts.

Not much more to add about this other than it's a fun historical romp that takes us back in time a bit (in more ways than one) reminding us of good, standalone episodes that can just deliver quality and a good storyline without being linked to something overarching and series-defining. A good concept presented here for a parasite-type villain (although not too dissimilar to the Clockwork Droids repurposing parts) - maybe an origin-type story to follow up and provide some more background would have been great, but there's so many one-off villains and monsters in Doctor Who the same could be said for, so I'll appreciate the episode for what it was - a highlight from Series 12 for sure.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 2nd September 2023, 07:46 PM
Post #45
Group icon

I agree with you on this one - not loads to say other than a solid historical episode with quite an interesting threat. I enjoyed!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 3rd September 2023, 09:10 PM
Post #46
Group icon
nabad

Survivors of the Flux

Series 13 (Flux)
Guest starring Kevin McNally, Barbara Flynn, Craig Parkinson, Craige Els, Thaddea Graham, Steve Oram, Jemma Redgrave

Audience Appreciation Index score: 77
Reviews: Radio Times (4 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (6.3 / 80%)

There's a lot to unpack (and enjoy) in this episode - starting with the resolution to the cliffhanger we were left with at the end of the previous episode Village of the Angels. The Doctor has been turned into a Weeping Angel, standing there in a graveyard of Angels surrounding her, stone, helpless. A big, grand, epic cliffhanger... and what we get is a mere 5 second resolution with that only being a means of transporting the Doctor to Division. Quite a disappointing resolution, but that alone doesn't detract from how brilliant this episode is. At the beginning, when the Doctor arrives at Division, it does end up being a bit of an info-dump again with a lot of information about how Division came to be, how the Flux came to be, and who 'Awsok' actually is (aka Tecteun). I always find this reveal a strange one. In some ways, it's a great reveal within the Chibnall era because obviously it means a lot to the Timeless Child arc and Tecteun was a major part of that. But I can't help feeling it would have made for an even more shocking/entertaining moment had it been a legacy Time Lord spearheading Division into 'Universe 2', leaving the Doctor trapped in 'Universe 1' destroyed by the Flux.

The moments between Tecteun and the Doctor where she describes the Doctor as a virus that needed to be kept in Universe 1 and that the Flux was engineered entirely as a means of destroying the universe with the Doctor in it, left behind, is really quite dark, and it's a brilliant scene between Jodie and Barbara Flynn. What I do find quite irksome though is that as soon as Swarm and Azure pop by for a chat, Tecteun is just wiped out in the blink of an eye never to be seen again. All of that build up for... that to happen. With Swarm and Azure's powers, Chibnall really went and created a very easy means of disposing of characters when they were no longer required, but at the expense of good and dramatic entertainment. Anyway, let's leave commentary on Division here with the Doctor on the ship with the fob watch and all of her forgotten memories dangling in front of her. The best of this episode comes from what Yaz, Dan and Jericho get up to on their travels in 1904...

This was such a beautiful and brilliant episode for Yaz, in my opinion. Seeing her and Dan separated from the Doctor, having to think for themselves for years, all the time trying to reconnect with her and find their way back to the present day provided some amazing moments. Yaz's character development to this point still hadn't been maximised to its full potential, I don't think, so this episode is where all the pieces of the puzzle came together. The hermit at the top of the mountain provided some good comic relief in the episode, and then Karvanista's involvement reminded us that the whole thing was still connected to Flux in some way. Then, in 1958, we have the Grand Serpent intertwining himself in history and becoming involved in the creation of UNIT. This, for me, I thought was going to be some good back story for the Grand Serpent and allow us to see his motives, what his involvement in the series was going to be, what his end game was, but when you watch the whole series back and consider this, it really does just feel like fodder thrown in to give us something else to watch while there's not much else part of the main action to see. It was good to have a callback to Resolution, though, where the Doctor calls UNIT and they have ceased to be as a result of what the Grand Serpent did in this episode. Seeing Kate Stewart again is always brilliant, but then she's away into hiding. And then we have the set-up for what's going to be an epic Sontaran war as they're revealed to be pulling the strings in the background the whole time.

Overall, a really strong episode and of the episodes that are strongly linked to the overall Flux arc, it's definitely one of the strongest. It has its flaws, but it's enjoyable and provides some great character development for the companions and some of the guest characters introduced in the series.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 4th September 2023, 08:31 PM
Post #47
Group icon

The resolution to one of the best cliffhangers in years was so underwhelming. Episode was fine but I don't remember lots about it really. The more standalone episodes were the best in Flux.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 5th September 2023, 02:15 PM
Post #48
Group icon
nabad

Kerblam!

Series 11
Written by Pete McTighe
Guest starring Julie Hesmondhalgh, Lee Mack, Callum Dixon, Claudia Jessie, Leo Flanagan, Matthew Gravelle

Audience Appreciation Index score: 81
Reviews: Radio Times (4 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (7.6 / 90%)

As far as debuts from guest writers go in the Chibnall era, Pete McTighe's first script for Doctor Who is certainly of the very strongest we had. Kerblam! gives us so much to enjoy, and again kind of serves to highlight further my thoughts that guest writers have a much better idea of what an episode of Doctor Who should be more than Chibnall himself did/does. We had strong debut scripts from the likes of Maxine Alderton, Nina Metivier and Joy Wilkinson, but this was a marvel on almost all fronts... it's just such a massive shame that what followed (Praxeus) was only about a tenth as good as this. It does seem, however, Pete McTighe is still very involved in the Whoniverse, so here's hoping he may have a chance at showing more of what he's got as we head into the new RTD era and beyond.

Despite the silliness of the Kerblam man just being able to materialise inside the TARDIS - much like a lot of other things in the Chibnall era - the opening of the episode was good, and once we landed on Kerblam! and got down to all the action of the episode, it didn't disappoint. The episode served as quite the commentary on artificial intelligence, automation, online shopping and manual workforces, but to its credit unlike other episodes that have a message to drive home, this one does it subtly enough that the episode is still enjoyable and it doesn't feel like the whole thing is being rammed down our throats for the sake of an education piece. The Kerblam men themselves are genuinely really chilling (the design is spot on!), and they do appear menacing in the dark with their illuminated eyes. This kind of 'villain' is something in Doctor Who I love a lot (see: Smilers, etc). Even though the Kerblam men ended up being mere pilot fish for a bigger bad operating behind the scenes (and in the end not even villains as such), it was great to see them utilised well.

When we get down to the nitty gritty and what's actually going on in Kerblam!, we find out that it's actually Charlie behind causing the bubble wrap in every parcel that Kerblam! is delivering to detonate - a rebellion of his own against automated workforces and trying to prevent total automation. He ended up making sacrifices he didn't want to in the end when Kira ends up perishing as a result of opening one of the parcels, and in the episode's climax he refuses to leave when the Doctor has all of the TeamMates deliver parcels to themselves and detonate the bubble wrap, thus obliterating the problem and allowing the company to start from scratch again - this time with less automation and more humans. All of it did tie up really neatly, however I think there's definitely some questionable morality in the episode's conclusion, but I shan't go too deep into that right now. All in all, this was such a fun, action-packed, enjoyable outing from Pete McTighe for his debut in the world of Doctor Who. Kerblam! certainly gave us a modern classic of an episode that I do enjoy revisiting (alongside a couple of others) the most of Series 11 as a whole. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a return of the Kerblam men in the future (and while I'm at it - what a missed opportunity on Chibnall's part to have potentially had the Kerblam men scattered throughout the whole era - recurring postmen - whenever they may have been called for). I think next stop for me with this episode is definitely to pick up the recently-released Target novelisation to see if there's anything Pete McTighe has included in that not seen on TV, or other little tidbits to pick up on!

+Quote this post
lotita
post 5th September 2023, 04:36 PM
Post #49
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

pting.png deserved more!!!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 5th September 2023, 04:39 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Lol Flux with those two camp as Christmas, maniacally cackling, villains was just laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 9th September 2023, 04:04 PM
Post #51
Group icon
nabad

Resolution

Specials
Guest starring Charlotte Ritchie, Nikesh Patel, Daniel Adegboyega, Nicholas Briggs

Audience Appreciation Index score: 79
Reviews: Radio Times (4 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (8.0 / 95%)

Mentally preparing myself for some questions on this episode's [comparatively] low placement, however for me it's the weakest (not by much, mind) of the Dalek specials trilogy in the Chibnall era. Resolution marked the first returning monster of the Chibnall era with the Daleks taking centre-stage, albeit in a very different way. I think one thing that sticks out to me that makes this episode a little less enjoyable than the other two is that so much of the episode is spent focusing on the Dalek outside of its armour. While I appreciate that Chibnall gave us something new and it was good to explore that, it only left us with very little time in the third act to see the Dalek in kill-mode, weaponed up to 100 and ready to declare war on Earth. Even then it was a 'renaissance' Dalek formed from memory and made from spare parts lying around (a neat tie in with how, for example, the Thirteenth Doctor's sonic screwdriver came to be too, I guess).

One of the most frustrating things about this episode, though, comes in the form of Ryan's father Aaron. He turns up on the doorstep after some time away and he hadn't been seen on-screen until now. While it was good to see some back-story to flesh out a third of the companion trio a little more, far too much time was spent on the scene in the café between Ryan and Aaron, taking us away from the action of the story completely and splicing the episode and making it feel very disjointed in places. However, beyond that there's still so much to enjoy in the episode. When the Dalek manages to make its way to start building armour from what it can find, we eventually get to the scene where it approaches and pits itself against an entire army (see the video I've attached for the episode above), and this is the scene of the episode for me. Absolutely brutal, and we finally get to see the Daleks just mercilessly killing people again; something I felt was very lacking in the Moffat era as though the Daleks had to be toned down. There's some dialogue in the scene that raises eyebrows (WHY does everybody forget what the Daleks are, or the human race never learns to adapt when it comes to them, in every new episode they appear?), but overall this is such a strong reintroduction when we edge closer back to the iconic and familiar Dalek we know.

The episode's resolution (pardon the pun) all comes very quickly when the Doctor and the fam turn up at GCHQ, and then we end up on the TARDIS with the Dalek being cast out into a supernova... but not before a moment where it seems like Aaron might end up accidentally being thrown in instead. And quite honestly, they should have just let him fall out. Saving him and pulling him back into the TARDIS seems like an extremely pointless move considering Aaron had absolutely no future bearing on Ryan's time in the TARDIS and their relationship was never explored any further besides the reconciliation in this episode. Overall, I think this episode has a bit of everything to enjoy - perfectly pleasant, action-packed New Year's Day viewing despite some wobbles throughout. It paves the way perfectly for the next two instalments of the Dalek trilogy - each time becoming stronger and stronger. We have the foundations being built from scratch in this episode, and then a continuation when they're fully formed in the next, and by the time we reach the final New Year's Day special, they're completely hell-bent on being as destructive, calculated and menacing as can be!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th September 2023, 04:05 PM
Post #52
Group icon

Kerblam and Resolution would both definitely be top 10 for me!! The latter especially, the only bad part as such being Ryan and his dad talking for what feels like an hour.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 9th September 2023, 06:11 PM
Post #53
Group icon
nabad

The Ghost Monument

Series 11
Guest starring Susan Lynch, Shaun Dooley, Art Malik, Ian Gelder

Audience Appreciation Index score: 82
Reviews: Radio Times (4 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (7.5 / 93%)

Not even sorry for this episode being as high as it is, because I absolutely love it! As far as 'fun romps through time and space' go, this has all the key ingredients and just goes off. I know it's definitely not a favourite of everyone's but there's just something about it for me that makes it easy to rewatch and always fun no matter how many times I've seen it. This episode had a lot riding on it, considering it'd be the first time we'd see the new title sequence for the Chibnall era (although not relevant to the episode itself, of course) and the first time we'd see the new TARDIS interior for the Thirteenth Doctor too. On both fronts, I don't think it disappointed, but we were left to the closing moments of the episode to get our glimpse of the new interior (even if it had already leaked a long time ago prior to broadcast).

Anyway, of the episode itself, we start off with an extremely convenient resolving of The Woman Who Fell to Earth's cliffhanger with the Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan all being 'saved' by guest characters Angstrom and Epzo's spaceships after being thrust into deep space accidentally. Although an anti-climax, it's not long before we forget it and we're thrown into the action of the episode. The concept of this episode is a fun one - a race to the finish line in an intergalactic race, where the guest characters are competing against one another, but then the Doctor also now competing because the prize at the end of it all is none other than the TARDIS. The episode ends up again with pilot-fish monsters in the form of the Sniper Bots. Hardly the biggest and best invention to come from Doctor Who, but some entertaining scenes nonetheless with them in. When we get to the real meet of the story, it turns out that Desolation - the planet we're on - is in ruin because all of its people died creating weapons for the Stenza. The moment the Doctor realises this was, I guess, supposed to be a major 'omg' moment for us all, but given how little we all ended up caring about Tim Shaw and seeing him as a truly evil, intimidating big-bad, it didn't really land, but it was good to see a continuation anyway and at least some sort of set-up for what was to come.

This episode is also when Chibnall starts to plant the seeds for his big story arc in the future, when the Remnants (the absolutely embarrassingly funny cloth-like creatures) comment on the Timeless Child when confronting the Doctor. At this point we have no idea what's going on, but let the fan theories and speculation commence! Anyway, once the cloths are disposed of, we get to the finish line and the TARDIS manages to materialise fully, paving way for an iconic line from the Doctor... 'come to Daddy, er... Mummy' (the delivery of that makes me chuckle every time), and then a conflicting first scene with the brand new interior. Some thought the reactions from the companions were very flat, but I think this scene was more about the Doctor basking in the glory of being reunited with the TARDIS and seeing this brand new interior for the first time. It's not often we get to see the Doctor appreciating it all for the first time, so I'm glad we got that instead of a rehash of the 90,000th companion reacting to it being bigger on the inside, etc. Overall, this is such a fun episode with a cool concept, a neat bunch of guest characters that isn't swamped with so much going on that they're not fully realised or used to their full potential, and the story makes sense (even if a bit of a device just to return the TARDIS to the Doctor in the end).

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th September 2023, 06:28 PM
Post #54
Group icon

Don't think I've rewatched Ghost Monument. Think I'd place it midtable, a bit lower than this perhaps. Good but a bit slow paced thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th September 2023, 12:56 PM
Post #55
Group icon
nabad

The Witchfinders

Series 11
Written by Joy Wilkinson
Guest starring Alan Cumming, Siobhan Finneran, Tilly Steele, Tricia Kelly, Arthur Kay

Audience Appreciation Index score: 81
Reviews: Radio Times (2 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (7.5 / 85%)

Now, before I get into the commentary about the episode itself, I wanted to mention something I found out just a couple of days ago, and that was none of the guest writers for Series 11 having any idea that the new incarnation of the Doctor was going to be female. This becomes particularly note-worthy when you consider the themes of this episode and how different the script may have ended up being had there been a focus on what a female Doctor's involvement in the story ended up looking like (beyond the Doctor obviously appearing as a 'witch' or using 'witchcraft' with advanced technology from the future, whether male or female). It's very interesting to me that even an extremely small team of guest writers weren't trusted with the information to add that extra little sparkle to their scripts and make the first female Doctor on the show the major event it could have been - I imagine there were plenty rewrites of every guest writer's script!

Anyway, in terms of historical episodes this is always something I've wanted to see Doctor Who explore. Obviously we've had witches before in The Shakespeare Code, but we've not gone back to the proper times of witch trials and seeing it in an everyday countryside town setting in Lancashire where ordinary people are so captivated by the royals' obsession to capture and vanquish any witchcraft and sorcery in the land. Alan Cumming is one of the last names I'd have assumed they'd be able to grab for a guest appearance in Doctor Who now, especially considering how big a name he is and the other roles he's gone on to play in the US, etc. But alas, he must be a big fan and jumped at the opportunity to appear. His performance as King James in this episode is really great. Plenty comedy packed into the character, and flirtatiousness (the scenes with Ryan are funny if only because Ryan is just totally out of his depth and doesn't know how to react; but we've already become accustomed to that being Ryan in practically any situation he's in). The only thing that slightly bothered me about the interpretation was the accent, but we move.

The star of this episode for me was definitely Siobhan Finneran - her character was perfect and she had just the right amount of mystique before we eventually discovered that a race called the Morax had taken over her body, and planned to take over King James' body too. I must admit when it came down to the final act and we were well and truly into alien territory as opposed to just a really decent historical episode about witchcraft and the witch trials of the 20th century, it was a tad disappointing, but it's nothing major and it doesn't take away from how brilliant the episode was. There are plenty character moments to enjoy here, with a satisfying conclusion too, and with a not-so-oversized guest cast as normal, it all just worked really well. Sometimes historical episodes can be hit or miss, but this was definitely a hit and it just had all of the right vibes and a good tone and setting. Now I just want a follow-up episode to this where we have further exploration to the reference made by King James about his mother Mary Queen of Scots (because Mary Queen of Scots appearing in an episode of Doctor Who would just be absolutely iconic!).

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th September 2023, 01:06 PM
Post #56
Group icon

I enjoy The Witchfinders a lot! About right for that one I'd say.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th September 2023, 04:07 PM
Post #57
Group icon
nabad

The Halloween Apocalypse

Series 13 (Flux)
Guest starring Craige Els, Steve Oram, Nadia Albina, Sam Spruell, Rochenda Sandell, Jacob Anderson, Annabel Scholey, Dan Starkey

Audience Appreciation Index score: 76
Reviews: Radio Times (4 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (6.8 / 77%)

Another pattern (very non-intentionally) is about to emerge here. But first, The Halloween Apocalypse. The first episode of Flux, and the introduction to the six-part story that we were promised would be 'the Doctor's biggest adventure yet'. There was a lot The Halloween Apocalypse had riding on it, and there definitely did end up being a LOT in this episode. While there's a lot of criticism about how it doesn't really end up feeling like a self-contained episode of Doctor Who and more just setting everything up for what's to come in the rest of the series, I think it still works really well and it's a really enjoyable episode! We start off with the Doctor and Yaz mid-capture, seemingly in an impossible-to-escape situation with Karvanista, but it's not long before the action starts and they end up getting out of danger landing on a conveniently-placed mattress in the TARDIS console room. One of the best moments of the episode is Jodie's repeated attempts at breaking free from the handcuffs (screaming 'RELEASE' in Scottish, and the subsequent revelation of what had actually been programmed).

Not only did this episode carry the weight of setting the whole series up, but it also introduced us to the new companion Dan Lewis! Immediately I fell in love with Dan, and that's not something I thought was going to happen. When it was first announced John Bishop was joining the cast, and certainly from his introduction 'teaser' too, I wasn't that impressed. But boy did that change almost instantly - and he's probably among my favourite NuWho companions to date now. His character has a real charm about him, and I think as far as companions go this is one that Chibnall absolutely nailed. It's just a shame that Yaz took a lot longer to 'cook', and Graham and Ryan never quite managed to feel like companions to me. So yes, all in all, all of Dan's scenes in this episode were great, especially the ones between him and Karvanista.

There's not really much else I can very fruitfully comment on in-depth, because this episode did introduce so many plot threads - we had the tunnels with Joseph Williamson, Vinder being introduced on Outpost Rose, Claire being introduced when she was zapped back in time by the Weeping Angel trying to unlock her front door, Swarm imprisoned by Division before escaping and then going to find Azure who had been in hiding, the Sontarans making a brief appearance, Diane ending up embroiled in all of the drama that was about to ensue, and then of course the massive cliffhanger of the Flux beginning to consume entire planets, on the cusp of consuming the TARDIS - the Doctor, Yaz and Dan standing right before it with the doors open just gazing in amazement and wonder at what might happen (shut the doors maybe?!). Overall, as I've already said, this episode did what it needed to do in setting everything up for the series, and it has some truly amazing moments scattered throughout. It did a great job introducing us to all of the new characters (even if very overcrowded right from the word go), and it made sure to leave plenty mystery and intrigue to untangle throughout the rest of the episodes. One thing the episode also managed to achieve - that The Woman Who Fell to Earth didn't - is making Swarm (and Azure) seem like a truly menacing, devastating new big-bad for the show with so much to explore considering the supposed back-story.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 10th September 2023, 04:23 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

How did you manage to watch all this a second time?! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th September 2023, 04:39 PM
Post #59
Group icon

The Halloween Apocalypse was a great start to Flux, a brilliant set-up and it's not its fault that not everything was delivered on kink.gif

+Quote this post
Rough_edges
post 14th September 2023, 08:51 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 147,987

I'm currently re watching series 1-13 can I just say so far s11 was not as bad as I had once thought although s12 is worse. Ryan really is such a terrible actor. Really was the companions that let half the Jodie era down I think.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:01 AM