BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who • The Jodie Whittaker Era: Ranked, Timeless era or flop fam?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post 28th November 2023, 03:35 PM
Post #81
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

The Haunting of Villa Diodati

Series 12
Written by Maxine Alderton
Guest starring Lili Miller, Jacob Collins-Levy, Nadia Parkes, Maxim Baldry, Patrick O'Kane, Lewis Rainer

Audience Appreciation Index score: 80
Reviews: Radio Times (5 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (7.9 / 94.0%)

Chibnall brought in a lot of new writing talent during his era of the show, opting not to involve any writers from both RTD and Moffat's eras of the show. None of the new writers brought on board managed to achieve what Maxine Alderton did, in my opinion. As far as debuts go, this was the strongest guest writer debut of the era for me, and brought excitement levels (and delivered, too) to a new level when she was announced to be writing again for Series 13. The Haunting of Villa Diodati was a very good start, even if in the end it did just serve to deliver a message about what was to come in the following two episodes, and end up seeming much like The Halloween Apocalypse retrospectively in that it leaned heavily towards being more set-up than self-contained story alluding to more. Nonetheless, there's so much to enjoy in this episode and before the Lone Cyberman appeared, it was a classic, fun ghost story involving one of the most iconic writers.

Although the first act of the story sets the tone beautifully, we shift very quickly from a haunting, creepy ghost story with all of the correct elements that quite neatly lead to the inspiration for Mary Shelley's writing of Frankenstein (albeit undermined slightly by the fact that if you consider it canon this is something Big Finish have already covered in their own stories by having the events of The Silver Turk inspire the exact same thing), to a story that becomes central to both Captain Jack's warning earlier in the series, as well as quickly learning that none of the episode's prior events were in fact ghosts at all, but merely a security system in the house itself to prevent the Cyberium from being found. It's all very clever though, and Maxine Alderton's writing manages to keep it entertaining and interesting in equal measures. And what she manages to achieve her is an absolutely wonderful scene between the Thirteenth Doctor and her companions where I found myself gasping at the screen when the episode aired... 'THIS IS THE DOCTOR'. The flat team structure becomes not so flat and it's the Doctor at the summit... the whole scene sent shivers down my spine - this was the moment that for me Jodie really cemented herself as the Doctor, and although not quite in character it reminds us of the burden and the responsibility that the Doctor carries on their shoulders in situations like these.

Could the episode benefitted from not having it rely so heavily on the foreshadowed arc to be resolved in Ascension of the Cybermen and The Timeless Children? Quite possibly. But for what this episode is, and with one of the best guest casts in the era too, I think it's safe to say this was a solid ghost / Cyberman story. It was something new, and I think there's something quite appealing about the idea of the Cybermen infiltrating historical periods of time (this episode, The Next Doctor) as opposed to always being in present day or the future. If RTD was paying attention then hopefully Maxine Alderton isn't a name that's going to be confined to the Chibnall era of Doctor Who and that we see her return at some point in the future to write for Ncuti Gatwa or another Doctor.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd December 2023, 07:58 PM
Post #82
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Haunting was amazing, the jawdrop of Cybermen an episode early! Definitely worthy of being this high.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 9th January 2024, 11:44 AM
Post #83
Group icon
nabad

War of the Sontarans

Series 13 (Flux)
Written by Chris Chibnall
Guest starring Jonathan Watson, Sara Powell, Jacob Anderson, Steve Oram, Gerald Kyd, Dan Starkey

Audience Appreciation Index score: 77
Reviews: Radio Times (3 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (7.3 / 100%)

It only took us until Chibnall's final series in the role of show runner, but eventually he stepped his game up big time and delivered one of the best stories of the entire era in the form of War of the Sontarans. Throwing us right into the aftermath of the Flux and how the Sontarans took advantage of it by throwing themselves into a carefully-selected moment in history to cause as much carnage as possible, the setting for this story couldn't have been any better, and for once we had a guest cast that was well-rounded where everyone was fleshed out as well as they could be, and there was enough happening to build a solid standalone plot as well as linking it all back to the overarching Flux storyline too. Even watching this episode back, it's still as enjoyable each time since the first time I watched it. Although he definitely had some major hiccups throughout his time as show runner, could this episode (and some others that followed) have been a sign that Chibnall had finally found his groove and maybe could have continued to step up given more time?

At the beginning of this episode, the Doctor is separated from Yaz and Dan as they both end up disappearing to different points - Dan going back to Earth to be confronted by the reality that he no longer has a home, and Yaz to the Temple of Atropos (unknown at the time), to dig a little deeper into what role the Mouri were going to play in Flux. Immediately when Dan returns to Earth, we're introduced to his parents who are a brilliant addition to the cast, and the Earth scenes end up being some of the best of the episode. Dan's investigative and inquisitive nature lead him directly into all of the Sontaran action happening as they attempt to conquer Earth in present day, too. The meme-a-bility of Dan running around with his wok and cracking jokes as he faces life-threatening situations will forever be one of the reasons why he was the best companion of the Chibnall era.

Back in the time of the Crimean War, we have the Doctor and Mary Seacole fighting for good, while General Logan is on the offensive, willing to sacrifice every single British soldier in the name of fighting the Sontarans and claiming victory. That, however, doesn't go down well. That aside, and the fact that General Logan is one of those characters that you just love to hate so much (probably the strongest Chibnall has managed to make us feel towards a character in the era?), there's so much to enjoy here too. We have the new Sontarans - this redesign being my absolute favourite and making the Sontarans seem so much more deadly and sinister when compared to their clinical, clean blue armour seen throughout the RTD and Moffat eras) - and we have Mary Seacole being a well-utilised and thoughtful guest character (albeit being forgotten about for some time while she just sits and monitors the Sontaran activity in their hidden encampment). And in the end, we have a good resolution to the story that ultimately leaves you even more angry at General Logan, too. The Doctor has her own idea on how to force the Sontarans into retreat, but then he comes along and just blows that up (quite literally). The episode ends on a cliffhanger that ultimately has no gravitas because we know for a fact that Yaz isn't going to die when Swarm takes control of her and Vinder as replacements to the broken Mouri, but alas it was a good way to move things along into Atropos to set up the events of Once, Upon Time. Overall, when you take the Flux elements out of this episode, it's by far and away one of the strongest of the era, hence why it's top 5 here. So much to enjoy, and one that you can watch back over and over and never tire of.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 9th January 2024, 03:40 PM
Post #84
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

I forgot there were a few passably good episodes amongst the mess!!

The one where she turns into a Weeping Angel was excellent, except for the fact that the cliffhanger meant ... nothong, which is VERY Chibnall. If RTD did that, it would jave very real consequences, but we'd also have others around capable of lending a hand - River Song, the church lady, etc...

Rosa was brilliant, but again, that man ... where did he come from? Why? Who sent him? Any other consequences? They could have built a whole series around him/ who sent him back.

The Cybetmen ones suck. Thr Mondasian cybermen have destroyed the cybermen forever, they were that good. Either bring them back, or forget about it.

The one where Jo Martin's Doc is disovered - and we NEED her as a mainline Doc, please!!! She's wub.gif - was brilliant, roo. Shame about the TC nonsense, but again, having meaningless writing and cliffhangers is VERY Chibnall.i loved the sytart of the next episode in prison, ans I think it should have been a whole episode. The beginning really had all the hallmarks of a classic, but again, being Chibnall, she's rescued in 5 minutes and it means nothing. You knoq, Chibnal, giving the companions more to do without the Foc, attempting to save her, reavhing our, gives them more life, more personality, and crrates opportunities to introduce new characters that they summon, and therefore drama and futurw antagonists...

I used to have a YUGE problem with the Judoon teleporting into the Tardis... HOWEVER!! This was, more or less, done kn season 1, when he was teleported to meet Davinabot. If Chibnall had more respect for the canon, she could have been beamed off the Tardis the same way, and THEN had the scene with the Judoon saying she is detained.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 12th January 2024, 03:53 PM
Post #85
Group icon
nabad

The Power of the Doctor

Specials
Guest starring Sophie Aldred, Janet Fielding, David Bradley, Colin Baker, Peter Davison, Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy
Jo Martin, David Tennant, Sacha Dhawan, Jemma Redgrave, Jacob Anderson, Bradley Walsh, Patrick O'Kane, Nicholas Briggs
Bonnie Langford, Katy Manning, William Russell

Audience Appreciation Index score: 82
Reviews: Radio Times (4 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (7.3 / 100%)

Before actually commenting on the episode itself, I just want to point out how floored I was to discover that William Russell is in fact the father of How to Get Away With Murder's Alfred Enoch (!) - that genuinely blew my mind; mainly because William Russell was 64 when Alfred was born. But alas, that's not too relevant here, so allons-y!

There is SO much to unpack here and I don't know if I can condense it all into commentary that won't go on forever, so I'm just going to draw some main highlights and then wrap up my overall thoughts on the episode too. After Legend of the Sea Devils proved itself to be one of the most - if not the - underwhelming specials in the show's history, Chibnall had gone from another personal high to a major low, so The Power of the Doctor just had to be excellent. Excellent it was, and with so many twists and turns along the way. The whole episode was a grand, spectacular culmination of everything that had happened in the era, holding nothing back yet with so much to cram in too. We had to wrap up Yaz's story, we had to wrap up Dan's story, we had UNIT returning, we had Kate returning, we had two classic companions returning in the form of Ace and Tegan, we had to say goodbye to Jodie's Doctor with her regeneration incoming and the introduction (or re-introduction, rather) to the new Fourteenth Doctor, we had the Master returning, the Daleks, the Cybermen and Ashad, Vinder, classic Doctors returning and their respective companions encountering them again, MORE classic companions returning when we got to the Companion Support Group at the end of the episode, Graham returning, and so much more. Literally everything but the iamspamspamamisink was thrown at this episode, but somehow it all just worked magically?

The pre-title sequence gives us Dan's farewell in an action-packed scene where the Doctor, Yaz and Dan attempt to board a moving train that's under attack by the CyberMasters. Dan is almost killed in the process, thus resulting in him deciding to stay on Earth and leave the world of travelling with the Doctor in time and space behind and saving himself from potential doom. While it all works out well and we didn't have to deal with the pain of the best companion of the era suffering a terrible fate, it's a shame Dan wasn't involved in the main action of the episode. Then, later down the line once the dust has settled a bit we of course have the Doctor and Yaz's goodbye, and I feel despite there being niggles with the way their relationship was handled throughout the era once we'd established that Yaz's feelings for the Doctor were more than just surface-level, that it was a good send off and they had their moment together to absorb it all and just be with one another before it was time to go. But then of course it seems like how they were actually going to write Yaz out of the show was merely an after-thought given there wasn't much of a reason why she couldn't have stayed with the Doctor. The Doctor had simply decided that she had to regenerate alone and Yaz could no longer travel with her (or who she was about to become).

The episode manages to perfectly balance all of the classic Doctor and companion returns, with the Guardians of the Edge being a great way for the classic Doctors to pop up in their current form and not trying to shoehorn them in as their old selves for the sake of it or to keep things how they were back in the day. The interactions between both Doctors and Tegan/Ace were great, and provided some of the most poignant moments of the episode. But poignancy aside, the action in this episode was just second to none and all of the scenes at UNIT HQ, and elsewhere too, were just great. I genuinely thought for a moment this was where they were going to kill Kate off and she was going to suffer the same fate as the Brigadier (keeping it in the family, huh). But alas, we've ended up with Kate remaining and continuing on into this wonderful new era of the show. All in all, there is SO much to enjoy in this episode that had a big, big task on its hands to wrap up a Doctor, companions, an era that has certainly had its ups and some very big downs and criticisms from the fanbase. But I think it did it all extremely well - the forced regeneration scenes were great (a nice trick making us think that was going to be Jodie's demise), the Rasputin scene was great. Ashad's revenge in UNIT HQ was great (the Russian doll scene was iconic), and of course when we reach the final moments of the episode, Jodie walking out of the TARDIS and embracing the moment of regeneration and her speech that accompanied it... it was beautiful. Visually, the most stunning on-screen regeneration we have ever had, in my opinion. Simple, and extremely effective.

So with The Power of the Doctor down, that leaves us with a top 2 of Demons of the Punjab and Eve of the Daleks! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post 12th January 2024, 06:10 PM
Post #86
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

The power of the doctor was a fantastic episode for sure. It proved what could be done with brilliant writing for Jodie. Her doctor was definitely different by the final season and I appreciate that we ended up with a different doctor than the one we started with. She was very tennant-esque to start with though not so much towards the end but I do find it fitting that this is who she regenerated in to as well.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 12th January 2024, 08:00 PM
Post #87
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

The episode eas okay. Jo Martin still felt way waaay more like the Doc, even in her short scene, than Jodie ever did. Thr Master is utter shit, as always, and turns the canon on its hesd by his reversion to cackling, pantomine, evil, craaazy man, who is craaazy and doedn't need any motivatikn because he craaazy. Massive step down from Missy and her narrative. Only eay it makes sense for this cartoonish master to exist is if he is an earlier iteration. Also, mo4e Chibnall shite, ideas brought up to be dropped teo minutes kster - this time, Russia and Rasputin. No weight to it at all.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 21st January 2024, 12:54 PM
Post #88
Group icon

I think Power's settled as my favourite of the Whittaker era, it finally got a lot of things right. Still some issues as far as companions go, both had pretty rubbish exits, but the nostalgia was amazing, Sacha Dhawan gave an acting masterclass, and I think Jodie really went out on a high.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 21st January 2024, 01:53 PM
Post #89
Group icon
nabad

Demons of the Punjab

Series 11
Written by Vinay Patel
Guest starring Leena Dhingra, Amita Suman, Shane Zaza, Hamza Jeetooa, Shaheen Khan, Shobna Gulati, Ravin J Ganatra, Bhavnisha Parmar

Audience Appreciation Index score: 80
Reviews: Radio Times (3 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (8.0 / 90.0%)

Just missing out on the top spot is the gorgeous Demons of the Punjab - a story that over time has cemented itself as the crown jewel of Series 11, and such a beautiful - yet tragic - story that holds up so much for being just that. There's no frills or fancy drama going on to make it quintessentially Doctor Who. It just exists as a beautiful piece of storytelling from newcomer Vinay Patel. What Rosa faltered with by trying hard to shoehorn elements of 'Doctor Who' into it to make it pass, Demons of the Punjab still does to an extent, but less boisterously. It all adds to the story perfectly and you're not left wondering why. I can't quite put my finger on just why Demons of the Punjab is so beloved by me, but it just... is. There's so much in it that makes it stand out from the crowd in Series 11 (and the entire Jodie Whittaker era), and it's just so different to everything else and not something we get to see every series.

The episode takes us on a journey back to the Partition after doubling down on trying to delve deeper into Yaz's personal life where we see more of Corrie legend Shobna Gulati and introducing Umbreen - Yaz's grandmother - who gives her a watch which in turn leads to Yaz questioning its origins and wanting to know more. One thing that's a shame (and not a critique of this episode, but more the pay-off and follow-up) is that we didn't see more of Umbreen after Demons of the Punjab. She could've been an excellent recurring guest character, but going back to Earth and spending time with the companions' families isn't exactly something the Chibnall era excelled at. Anyway, back at the partition of India, we have two families preparing to be united by marriage which leads us down a path of more Jodie Whittaker comedy introducing itself ("I'm such a comedian" will always be one of my favourite lines from Jodie), all while the Thijarians are lurking in the shadows.

When we finally learn who the Thijarians are, it seems like a bit of an anti-climax, but it ultimately plays an important role in the resolution of the episode and provides some of the most beautiful moments aboard their ship. We have a brutal showdown where Prem tries to reason with Manish, but with devastating consequences. The whole episode manages to encapsulate perfectly what it must have been like when the partition happened, and the consequences it had for those on both sides. Very important that we have guest writers like Vinay Patel being able to tell stories like this on a show like Doctor Who and giving us accurate and authentic historicals that can teach us something (and not in a way that preaches or tries to say anything more than it needs to) in a way that having Winston Churchill face off against the Daleks doesn't quite deliver something as interesting or great). Overall, while this episode doesn't stretch itself too far to become ingrained in the world of Doctor Who by having a menacing villain or sci-fi action that takes over the whole premise in the end, that's exactly what makes it so good, and everything leading up to such a gut-wrenching ending of division and hatred after the whole episode focuses heavily on love and unity... *chef's kiss* Hopefully Vinay Patel doesn't become a stranger to the show, because this was an excellent (re-)introduction to just how good pure historical episodes can be when the right person's behind them!

Eve of the Daleks

Specials
Guest starring Aisling Bea, Adjani Salmon, Nicholas Briggs, Pauline McLynn, Jonny Dixon

Audience Appreciation Index score: 77
Reviews: Radio Times (4 out of 5 stars), Rotten Tomatoes (7.2 / 83.0%)

And here we have it! Eve of the Daleks fends off some mighty competition (and other... not so mighty) to be crowned my favourite episode of the Jodie Whittaker era. I don't think there's ever really been any doubt about this from the moment it aired. It instantly became a classic for me, with SO much going for it, and so much that made it such a standout from the Chibnall era. It righted a lot of wrongs, it gave us an idea of just how good Chibnall can be with legacy monsters and how much he understands them compared to his predecessors, and it gave us something absolutely amazing in a year where Doctor Who content was extremely sparse (albeit on the first day of 2022 with bigger gaps yet to come).

In saying that Chibnall really understands the Daleks in a way that RTD and Moffat quite possibly didn't, it's not that I don't *enjoy* RTD and Moffat's Dalek stories, but I think all three showrunners have given us very different ideas of what the Daleks can be, and what their motives are. RTD focused on the Daleks being hell-bent on invading and conquering Earth - the final showdowns and the big bads of each series. Moffat played with emotion a lot when dealing with the Daleks - how they became pivotal in stories centred around the main characters (Oswin having become a Dalek, Clara being trapped inside a Dalek by Missy, fighting to the last breath for the Doctor to recognise her, etc), but Chibnall - through his trilogy of Dalek specials - proved that the Daleks can just be downright evil, merciless killers for the sake of it. It's what they were made to be, it's what's in their hypothetical blood, and Eve of the Daleks takes that one step further by introducing a death squad of Daleks on a very personal mission to eliminate the Doctor for her role in the Flux.

Eve of the Daleks containing a very small guest cast certainly works in its favour too. We only have an hour, and thankfully Chibnall realised this time around that introducing every Tom, Dick and Harry and trying to make them seem useful or interesting wasn't the way to go here. Having two characters introduced perfectly and then thrown immediately into the thick of things when the time loop starts and we're pretty much on a countdown to get out of it was brilliant. This concept worked so perfectly, and it was all just magic from start to finish. Obviously we know how it's going to end, but seeing all the intricacies and how the group managed to do so made for such exciting viewing. And seeing the TARDIS team being relentlessly killed by Daleks over and over again isn't something you get to see every day, so it was refreshing for a Dalek story at least. Aisling Bea was a great character, and while Adjani's introduction - pretty much coming across like an absolute creep to begin with - wasn't exactly perfect, in an episode with so many highs, I can let that slide. And of course this episode begins to deal with Yaz's relationship with the Doctor in a much less subtle way. Dan picks up on the vibes, and his chat with Yaz is quite possibly the most endearing moment of the whole era, and proves just how essential he was in the end. Was it all too little too late? Probably, but it made for a beautiful moment between the two and fleshed Yaz out that little bit more, and made her confront a lot of things about herself.

Overall, Eve of the Daleks has pretty much everything I want from a Doctor Who story - it has an epic plot with brilliant execution (in my opinion, I know not everybody loved it), it had the Daleks on top form, it had a great guest cast, it had balanced comedy with Jodie actually seeming the most confident and comfortable she's ever been in the role, and it had poignant moments to bring it all back to Earth away from the action. In an era where there are definitely some episodes on rewatch that you can bypass because you just *know* no matter how many times you watch it you're not going to enjoy it or take anything new away from it that alters your perception - THIS episode is just perfection and I'll never tire of it. It brings everything full circle, and builds on what Chibnall did in Resolution by breaking the Daleks down to nothing and having one rebuild itself, to then introducing a brand new kind of Dalek (that shows us glimpses of how deadly it could be), and then culminates in all-out brutality in this final chapter. Bravo, Chibnall - you got there eventually!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 21st January 2024, 02:24 PM
Post #90
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

I'd agree with that being her best episode!

The Demons episode was really boring though sad.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 21st January 2024, 02:47 PM
Post #91
Group icon

Great winner, definitely one of my top picks if not quite my personal #1! Great countdown biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 21st January 2024, 03:04 PM
Post #92
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Eve of the Daleks was definitely one of the better episodes. The concept was great, it had some really good talent and it was nice to see the Daleks were used well as they were completely butchered the last two times they were there, I think my only complaint would be the climax was a bit too rushed but that's a fairly common problem not confined to the Chibnall era.

Demons of the Punjab was one of the few good Season 11 episodes and historically interesting, but I felt it followed the same beats as Rosa a bit too much to make it a real favourite. The Power of the Doctor seemed to me where Chiball just said 'sod it' and threw all his tricks at the wall and see what sticks and honestly it made it all the better. It was quite entertaining if you turned your brain off, the regeneration scene was well done and the Rasputin scene is one of my favourites of the era.

Villa Diodati was great, I really liked the period setting and horror elements and the villain was really threatening and I'd agree that that's Whittaker's defining Doctor monologue (much like Capaldi's one in the Zygons episode), it was ruined in the episodes that came after it, but still a good one.

Flux was a total mess which did mar the experience as a whole, however the Sontaran and Weeping Angel episodes were individually really good and a great use of the classic villains, just a shame they don't really work as standalones.

Great job with the write-ups here, you've reminded me it wasn't all bad last time!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 21st January 2024, 05:28 PM
Post #93
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

For me it reminded me of just how bad it was! We have a handful of episodes we can go back to, and that's it. Rosa, New Year's Eve one, one where she turns into a weeping angel, and maaaybe the poeer of the doctor, maaybe, ans the one that ibtroduces Jo Martin. That's it. The prison one could have been great, but it's Chibnal, so it wasn't.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 11:58 AM