BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Final RESULTS • Buzzjack's Ultimate TV Show, FINISHED. Who won?: Friends or The Simpsons (p12)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Spinning Adam
post 14th February 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #221
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

QUOTE(Virginia @ Feb 14 2016, 06:09 PM) *
He has a time machine but just loooves Wales and south east UK.

And love always saves the day laugh.gif

Maybe because that's where the majority of the producers live? tongue.gif

At least the top 5 has some decent shows. Of course X Factor is going to be the obvious overrated one here. I do enjoy the odd episode of the Apprentice too. Friends seem like a good show when I've seen it on and it's quite entertaining, but the Simpsons FTW please wub.gif cheer.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 14th February 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #222
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

02. The Simpsons • 639 points

arrow up.gif 12-06-02

No. of votes: 24, Highest score: 40 (HausofKubrick, Mattias)

17th December 1989 (27 seasons) • International TV

Twenty Seven seasons later and The Simpsons is still more popular than ever. We’ve all grown up watching The Simpsons with almost all members associating The Simpsons with your childhood. It’s not difficult to see why The Simpsons has remained one of the most popular televisions shows through the characterisation of the main characters; Homer, Marge, Lisa, Bart and Maggie (despite the speaking a limited amount of words). The Simpsons debuted on December 17th 1989 and has broadcasted over 586 episodes. The Simpsons has received widespread critical acclaim, especially for the "Golden Age" of its approximated first ten seasons. Time magazine named it the 20th century's best television series.

Despite not existing when The Simpsons first aired, I’ve grown to love the show and despite being 22 years of age, I still find Homer’s antics hilarious – his hilarious remarks as well as creating the ever so annoying catchphrase ‘d’oh”. There’s more to The Simpsons than the family itself with popular characters being Apu, Krusty The Clown, the worst police officers known on animated television.

In 2007, through an increasing demand, The Simpsons eventually provided. The Simpsons Movie, which grossed over £527 million worldwide as well as receiving critical acclaim. The film currently holds an 89% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 218 reviews, with an average rating of 7.6/10. The most iconic moment from the movie is no doubt the popularity of ‘Spiderpig’ and the song itself which has generated millions of views on Youtube.

(Commentary by Lee Wallace)

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 14th February 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #223
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

01. Friends • 711 points

arrow left.gif 01-01-01

No. of votes: 26, Highest score: 39 (Jay, HausofKubrick, Mattias, PaulM1983)

22nd September 1994 – 6th May 2004 (10 seasons) • International TV

Finally, we’ve reached the end of the countdown which should have been finished months ago but poor Froot couldn’t help but flop. I couldn’t be more delighted with the popularity of Friends worldwide and on Buzzjack, I’ll happily admit I always get offended when I’m informed by individuals that they dislike Friends or haven’t seen an episode.

Friends is an American television sitcom, created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman, which originally aired on NBC from September 22, 1994, to May 6, 2004, lasting ten seasons. Starring Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc,Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer, the show revolves around six friends living in New York.

Friends received acclaim throughout its run, becoming one of the most popular television shows of all time. The series was nominated for 62 Primetime Emmy Awards, winning the Outstanding Comedy Series award in 2002 for its eighth season.

Friends never fails to cheer myself up as well as providing a whole range of emotions. The show effectively provided us with an incredible amount of memories which results in hope that one day we will get Friends The Movie (Which I’ve accepted won’t happen). I never understood a lot of the innuendos growing up but the older I got the more I understood the jokes. I can proudly say that I’ve seen each episode over ten times and I still find it hilariously amazing. ‘Did she get off the place’? ‘Unagi’. ‘Salmon Skin Roll’ and let’s not forget the best quote of Friends ‘WE WERE ON A BREAK’. I adored the final episode where Ross & Rachel finally ended up together which provided a perfect, emotional yet happy ending with no deaths but full of drama! The finale became the most watched entertainment telecast in the 2000’s as it drew an audience of 52.5million viewers falling just short of their record of 52.9million which followed the Superbowl.

The question that we are frequently asked is who is your favourite character? Each characters provides such a different aspect to the show that I couldn’t possibly decide. We have Phoebe who had her brothers triplets and provided us with one of the most iconic songs of all time in ‘Smelly Cat’, Ross & Monica are arguably the most popular brother and sister ever to grace the television screen through their hilarious comedy and perfect shading of each other. I wish I was lucky enough to marry three times like Ross. One of Ross’s marriages belonged to Rachel Green and as previously stated she actually did get off the plane! Finally we have Chandler and Joey who are best friends, who provide nothing but amusement which slowly started to disintegrate following Chandler marrying Monica (I feel like Joey is my least favourite). I feel as if Friends was ever so popular was through s being able to relate to what it was like having a group of friends that we spend all of our time with.

(Commentary by Lee Wallace)

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th February 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #224
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Phew! Right one won.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 14th February 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #225
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

FULL RESULTS

01. Friends • 711
02. The Simpsons • 639
03. The Apprentice UK • 628
04. The X Factor UK • 625

05. Doctor Who • 522
06. Eurovision Song Contest • 506
07. Family Guy • 504
08. Miranda • 463
09. The Great British Bake Off • 442

10. Breaking Bad • 436
11. Eastenders • 433
12. Game of Thrones • 400
13. Big Brother UK • 396
14. The Inbetweeners • 368
15. Parks & Recreation • 351
16. The Catherine Tate Show • 345
17. Pointless • 337

18. Desperate Housewives • 323
19. Britain's Got Talent • 321
20. The Walking Dead • 320
21. Orange is the New Black • 316

23= Outnumbered • 313
23= The Vicar of Dibley • 313

24. The Big Bang Theory • 309
25. Lost • 305

26. Torchwood • 294
27. I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! • 287
29= Absolutely Fabulous • 281
29= Top Of The Pops • 281
30. Fawlty Towers • 280
31. Broadchurch • 278

32. Celebrity Big Brother • 276
33. Sherlock • 275
34. Little Britain • 270
35. American Horror Story • 266
36. Futurama • 265

37. The Graham Norton Show • 264
38. Gogglebox • 254
39. Come Dine With Me • 249
40. Keeping Up Appearances • 245

41. Ugly Betty • 244
42. QI • 234
43. Celebrity Juice • 233
45= Alan Carr’s Chatty Man • 215

45= That's So Raven • 215
46. American Dad • 214
47. Fringe • 212

48. Misfits • 210
49. Gavin & Stacey • 209

50. Glee • 206
51. South Park • 205

52. Harry Hill's TV Burp • 197
53. The IT Crowd • 195

54. How I Met Your Mother • 192
55. Spongebob Squarepants • 189
56. Modern Family • 187

57. The Voice UK • 187
58. Homeland • 183
59. Russell Howard's Good News • 183
60. The Good Wife • 182
61. Will & Grace • 181
62. Come Fly With Me • 180
63. America's Next Top Model • 179
64. Melodifestivalen • 176
65. Brooklyn Nine-Nine • 172

66. 8 Out of 10 Cats • 171
68= The Sarah Jane Adventures • 167
68= Waterloo Road • 167
69. Blackadder • 165

70. The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air • 165
71. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. • 163
72. The 100 • 157

74= Big Brother US • 156
74.=The Killing (DK) • 156
75. Mock the Week • 154
76. Being Human • 148

77. The Bridge/Bron/Broen • 144
78. The Chase • 137
79. Adventure Time • 125
80. Orphan Black • 124

81. RuPaul's Drag Race • 121
82. Veep • 117
83. Criminal Minds • 116

84. Junior Apprentice • 115
85. Dancing On Ice • 112

86. Once Upon a Time • 103
87. Twenty Twelve / W1A • 103
88. Hollyoaks • 99

90.= 2 Broke Girls • 93
90.= The Story of Tracy Beaker • 93
91. Project Runway • 91
92. Hell's Kitchen • 85
93. Strictly Come Dancing • 80

94. 30 Rock • 74
95. The Amazing Race • 71
96. Top Gear • 69
97. Nurse Jackie • 65
98. America's Got Talent • 60
99. The X Factor US • 55
100. Geordie Shore • 32

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 14th February 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #226
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

It's finally over. :') SO sorry that it took so long but I did want every show to have its own proper moment (so the countdown was also seen as a sort of celebration) and once I'd started that way, I had to carry it all the way through but then I've obviously had life that has prevented me from doing this quickly. Thanks to Lee, Liam, Joseph, Ultraviolence & Lindsey for helping me out with some of the commentaries, it is greatly appreciated and also thanks to Silas and Liam (again) for the nomination rounds for International and Reality! Also big thanks to anyone who voted at any stage and those who have followed along with the drawn out results.

It's an interesting result in the end, even if we had the same winner as the previous two similar countdowns, it seems as though the love for Friends will never die! It's interesting to see that the split between UK/International/Reality was fairly even overall. I was expecting Big Brother to be in the Top 10 though considering the love for it on the site and, indeed, I wasn't expecting Breaking Bad to be Top 10.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 14th February 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #227
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Absolutely incredible hosting Froot, the amount of effort and everything you put into this is just incredible heart.gif heart.gif

Yay The Simpsons is top 2, don't watch it often anymore but a massive childhood classic!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 14th February 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #228
Group icon
User: 13,007

My top 2 shows making the top 2 *.* I do prefer The Simpsons but only slightly, and I suppose seasons 20 onwards of The Simpsons probably mean it isn't the perfect show that it was for it's first few decades - whereas Friends didn't really go downhill throughout its run. Both incredible shows and a worthy end to this mammoth countdown. Thanks a lot for doing it Froot ~

+Quote this post
mdh
post 14th February 2016, 07:47 PM
Post #229
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776

Never really liked Friends ://

Great hosting, its been a pleasure to follow this! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Noahspike
post 14th February 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #230
Group icon
There's a frisbee in my brunch
User: 19,860

Fwooty, this thread's been a huge and largely thankless task so congrats on finishing it and maintaining the quality in the commentaries the whole way through! I'm sure there was plenty of stuff that you couldn't be bothered researching/writing up, but you (and others) ended up doing everything justice. It's been great to follow over the last while and I'm sorry I've been too much of a flop to show my interest! :/

Can't really argue with that top two. Both highly quotable, iconic shows and staples of my childhood that continue to stand the test of time. I'd still gladly watch an episode of either any time there isn't much else on offer. Great to see #Rabbitspike (#Frootspike?) ha impact on the #3! I actually still haven't seen the last few episodes of the recent series ohmy.gif as my flatmate and my ritual viewing of it was interrupted by Christmas, and he only went and finished the thing back home without me. sob.gif

Never heard of the #5 - I guess it's about an elusive medical professional or something? Sounds kinda shet. smile.gif

'Breaking Bad' is my favourite ever TV series so I'm chuffed to see it recognised enough here to scrape the top 10 <3. I was hooked pretty much from the start so it's a shame to see some comments about people struggling with the earlier seasons (though admittedly, the first one's all about setting up the story rather than being action-packed so I kind of get it). The whole thing has such an intricately designed, intelligent and thrilling plot and the acting's consistently superb. Gah, I really need to watch it all again sometime wub.gif. It's also special to me as I credit the show with bringing my brother and I closer together, as it was the first thing we bonded over in years and our relationship is way better now. happy.gif

Also good to see 'The Inbetweeners', 'The Catherine Tate Show' and 'Pointless' in the top 20, and 'The Graham Norton Show' and 'Misfits' relatively high up too. <3

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 14th February 2016, 07:56 PM
Post #231
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Friends heart.gif I just never get tired of it - easily my favourite show of all time!

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 14th February 2016, 08:46 PM
Post #232
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

Thanks for allowing me to help you with the commentary, I worried about doing Friends justice but you allowed me to do the top 2 *.*

You've done an excellent job mate and it's great to see appreciation of your commentary because they were excellent! I know I was shading you earlier (I was joking) but you've put an incredible amount of effort into this forum as a whole and the results were fantastic! I'm already interested to see how the 2016 ends up. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 14th February 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #233
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Not even the points gap was close sleep.gif

The run for the Simpsons is pretty poor also mad.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 14th February 2016, 11:18 PM
Post #234
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Oh a great top 2, about the most obvious you can get but they've both earned that status as perennial favourites for pretty much anyone so I can't really argue and still smile a lot when watching either show (though in the Simpsons case, only episodes prior to 2000).

Catching up, Doctor Who top 5 is great to see, I'd definitely put it as my favourite TV show, the 2005-8 run was some of the best television I've ever seen and it was such a staple of my Saturday nights. It's definitely less good now, especially when there's more exciting science fiction/fantasy shows on air, but it's hard to let go. I hold a lot of good feelings towards it. I hold a soft spot for Eastenders, Big Brother & X Factor even if I very rarely take much interest in them these days, there was a time I religiously watched them all (now that guilty pleasure spot has been taken by Bake Off <3)

It's great to see Breaking Bad top 10 if just to increase the credibility of the top 10 kink.gif I'm actually in the process of watching it too and have hit a wall but I will persist, at my family's word, it is meant to be the greatest show ever and all. GOT almost top 10 is brilliant to see too, fast becoming my favourite <3

Thank you very much for running this Froot, however long it took, the commentaries were, as others said, fantastic and a testament to your passion for all things television!

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 14th February 2016, 11:19 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 14th February 2016, 11:36 PM
Post #235
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Very glad to see Friends winning, I'd say it's my favourite of the top 5, the archetypal sitcom with so many well-written episodes and a great cast of characters that make it very watchable for the vast majority of its run. I'd say my highlight is The One With The Blackout, it was certainly a lot stronger in the earliest seasons but given that I wouldn't mind seeing most of it again at the drop of a hat, worthy winner.

I'm not so much a fan of the Simpsons but it's also had its moments and despite it being the epitomy of a status quo show it's fairly funny. At times. Hit and miss really, and that's even with me seeing barely any of its stuff from more recent times.

Very pleased The Apprentice is the highest reality show as the only one from that genre I'll probably ever watch again, so there's that. I guess I USED to find the X Factor entertaining but I've moved way beyond that now and just find it trash of the highest order (so not so great that it beat Doctor Who).

And Doctor Who, it's not the greatest sci-fi show, it's often a bit cringy (it WAS pretty brilliant in the RTD/Tennant days, I'm one of those), but as something that reaches beyond the sci-fi demographic, I do find it enjoyable for what it is (especially when it does things on the smaller scale, too many 'this episode shapes the fate of the whole universe' occasions put me off a bit, but I'm starting on my catchup of it into Capaldi's era so there's still time for it to change). Basically, it doing so well is a victory for sci-fi and fantasy and I'll take that ANY day.

Breaking Bad is still definitively the best thing in the top 10 kink.gif Thank you very much for running this Froot, it's been a masterpiece of a presentation.

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:25 PM