BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Britney Spears - Singles Rate: THE RESULTS, FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 12!!!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 2nd March 2024, 12:09 AM
Post #41
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Oh I like 'Slumber Party' and especially 'Anticipating' from the latest section <3 'Perfume' has never done much for me oops
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 2nd March 2024, 02:34 AM
Post #42
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

I get the tingle, I wanna mingle

36. Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know | 6.625 Highest Scores: 9.5/9: (TimConArtist, Herbs), Lowest Scores: 2: (Jessie Where)
35. Scream & Shout (ft will.i.am) | 6.708 Highest Scores: 10: (Anita Hanjaab, Nick Jonas), Lowest Scores: -1: (Scene)
34. Radar | 6.729 Highest Scores: 10: (Slayer, Nick F1), Lowest Scores: -1: (Anita Hanjaab)

#36 is Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know, released in March 2001 as the 4th & final single from Britney's 2nd album Oops I Did It Again. After meeting with producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange in Switzerland, Britney recorded several songs for the album, including this track, which she considered one of her faves on the album & additional lyrics were written by guitar player Keith Scott and country pop singer Shania Twain. Upon release the song attained moderate commercial success by topping the Romanian charts, top 10 peaks in Austria & Switzerland, as well as top 20 peaks in several countries including Germany, Ireland, UK, Netherlands, Finland, & Norway. The track wasn't given a commercial release in the USA, and was sent only to mainstream radio in April 2001, where it failed to appear on any major music chart there. This certainly does bring an entirely different energy to Britney's preceding hits & while it was nice her willing to break from the successful tried and tested formula with this beautiful yet yearning ballad that features Britney singing in a lower vocal register & really pulling it effectively. However, this does fall rather short when compared to her previous stuff and especially given the writing talent involved as it does have a slight feeling of not their A material. Nonetheless it does showcase Britney as a talented vocalist.

At #35 is Scream & Shout, by will.i.am featuring Britney Spears, released in November 2012 as the 2nd single from will.i.am's 4th studio album #willpower. The song was written by will.i.am, Jef Martens, Tulisa, Jean Baptiste and was produced by Martens under the alias Lazy Jay, with additional production by will.i.am. Upon release the track became a huge commercial success by topping the charts in 24 countries worldwide, including in the UK where it became Britney's 6th chart topper & first since 2004. Along with top 5 peaks in Australia, Czech Republic, Russia, Slovakia, South Korea, Sweden and in the USA. British singer Tulisa co-wrote the original version of the track then titled "I Don't Give a f***" & was intended for her debut album. However, producer Lazy Jay didn't want Tulisa to have the song and instead gave it to will.i.am, who re-wrote it with Britney in mind, despite Tulisa's vocals still being heard on the song, who in turn filed a lawsuit in 2012 and won it in 2018 entitling her to 10% of the song's royalties. In hind sight its hard to even say about this song given that those vocals aren't even Britney's, hell even at the time I felt that they didn't even sound like her & when did she become British all of sudden, well that was all down to the sad story behind Tulisa's involvement, which goes to show how cutthroat the industry can be. As for the song itself well its nothing special a serviceable club jam for its time, but has now aged like milk & just feels rather forgotten.

At #34 is Radar, which originally featured on Britney's 5th studio album Blackout & was originally planned to be released as a single from that album, but the release was cancelled and was later included as a bonus track for her 6th studio album Circus where it finally got released in June 2009 as the 4th and final single. Written and produced by Bloodshy & Avant and the Clutch, with additional writing from Henrik Jonback; with recording sessions taking place the day after Britney filed for divorce from Kevin Federline. Upon release the track performed quite poorly on the charts worldwide with top 40 peaks in Ireland & New Zealand, but missing the top 40 in most countries including the UK where it peaked at a mere #46, her first ever release not to crack the top 20. I do think that this would have served quite well as 'Blackout' single, but as a 'Circus' single it didn't really work given that it didn't fit into that era at all and being tacked onto the end didn't help matters, making this an obvious contract obligation release. As for the song itself it's not half bad with its cool synths, high octane beats and bouncy electro grooves, which makes a simple yet fun little number that couldn't quite overcome its botched release and flop status.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 12th March 2024, 11:19 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 2nd March 2024, 01:32 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Wow I never knew that about Tulisa and Scream & Shout! I bet she was PISSED when she heard it and also saw it become a huge hit all over the world, while her own career flopped big time!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 2nd March 2024, 02:50 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Which lines aren't Britney's?

Was the song the same but Britney Bitch was I don't give a f***??

And this sounda like producers giving J Lo Aahanti songs I think :lol: How can they give people songs you made for yourself?! Srill, 10% of a worldwide hit's profits is far morr than she would have made with it as a uk only flop Tulisa single...

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 2nd March 2024, 04:00 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

S&S is still an absolute banger.

I still maintain 'Radar' really should have been the 3rd single from Blackout, not the 4th single from the next album manson.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 2nd March 2024, 04:07 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Radar is awful. It's even worse than HIAG.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 2nd March 2024, 05:18 PM
Post #47
Group icon

Get ready for another 2 more entries coming right up

This post has been edited by Nina West: 2nd March 2024, 05:33 PM

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 2nd March 2024, 06:23 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

QUOTE(Anita Hanjaab @ Mar 2 2024, 02:50 PM) *
Which lines aren't Britney's?

Was the song the same but Britney Bitch was I don't give a f***??
And this sounda like producers giving J Lo Aahanti songs I think laugh.gif How can they give people songs you made for yourself?! Srill, 10% of a worldwide hit's profits is far morr than she would have made with it as a uk only flop Tulisa single...

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 2nd March 2024, 06:34 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

God I hate how Britney became a puppet for the record label and her dad after My Prerogative. They picked her up, plopped her in the studio, ad infinitum, and forced her to sing whatever song they had been given. This is just more proof of that

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 2nd March 2024, 06:54 PM
Post #50
Group icon

Let's turn this dance floor into our own little nasty world

33. Overprotected (Darkchild Remix) | 6.869 Highest Scores: 11: (Slayer), 10: (Nick F1, Lukuzz), Lowest Scores: 4: (Pandamic Tension, Roba)
32. Boys (ft Pharrell Williams) | 6.895 Highest Scores: 10: (Slayer, Nick F1, ready for it, Nick Jonas, Mack), Lowest Scores: 2: (Scene)

#33 is Overprotected (Darkchild Remix), which was remixed by Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins for the song's American release. The original version featured on Britney's 3rd studio album Britney & was released as 2nd international single in December 2001, while the remixed version was released in the USA in April 2002 as the album's 3rd single there. The idea for the tracks R&B makeover came from Jive records who were hoping to try and gain favour with the urban market following the decline in the album's first 2 singles. Upon release the song peaked at a mere #86 on the US Billboard top 100, which made this only other charting single from the album over there, but it did manage to fare much better in Canada where it reached a #22 peak. I love original album version of this track, but this version I've never really liked as it removes everything that gave its original form so much punch and swagger. Even the catchiness is completely gone in this horrible watered down R&B version & call me old fashioned but in my opinion they just ruined a perfectly good pop song, stick to the original and skip this horrible mess.

#32 is Boys, released in June 2002 as the 5th single from Britney's self-titled 3rd studio album Britney & was remixed for its single release under the title 'The Co-Ed Remix' and features guest vocals from Pharrell Williams. The new version also featured on the soundtrack to the 'Austin Powers: Goldmember' movie. Written and produced by Chad Hugo and Pharrell Williams (known collectively as The Neptunes). The song was originally recorded by Janet Jackson who ended up passing on it before it was given to Britney. Upon release the song performed quite well worldwide by reaching top 10 peaks in Belgium, Ireland, and in the UK, as well as top 20 peaks in Australia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland & Denmark. However, in the USA it failed to make much impact by only appearing on the Bubbling Under Chart, where it peaked at #122. Now this remix version I do understand as it's original album version sounded like a lesser version of 'I'm A Slave 4 U' , but the 'Co-Ed' version has a more cooler and funkier edge to it, along with smoother production which helps give the minimalist R&B track a better flow. Even though the addition of Pharrell's vocals feel a little shoehorned in, that doesn't matter as its still a fun little number, even if it doesn't quite stand the test of time.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 12th March 2024, 11:20 PM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 2nd March 2024, 07:54 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Neither are big losses. Boys is one of her worst ever ... from her fodlen era.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 2nd March 2024, 07:55 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Darkchild is famous for sucking the life out of pop skngs with his twrrible rnb. Just ask Spice Girls! Worst producer ever?

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 2nd March 2024, 07:58 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Don’t Let Me Be The Last To Know was always a beautiful song for me

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 2nd March 2024, 08:11 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Written by Shania Twain!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 3rd March 2024, 02:40 AM
Post #55
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Feb 28 2024, 09:21 PM) *
That ILRNR cover is inexcusable! A massive, massive low point in her discography.
I'm nowhere near the level of hate for the song as you are, howeverrrrr

I'm grateful the song exists, because we got THAT VIDEO! Incredible video!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 3rd March 2024, 11:36 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Tafty³³³ @ Mar 3 2024, 02:40 AM) *
I'm nowhere near the level of hate for the song as you are, howeverrrrr

I'm grateful the song exists, because we got THAT VIDEO! Incredible video!

that is fire for sure!

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 3rd March 2024, 12:37 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Omg I love both of these songs.

Boys is like one of Britney's favourite songs, she would be so mad at you all laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd March 2024, 02:42 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Boys is the worst!!! She shoulda released Bombastic Love instead

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd March 2024, 07:23 PM
Post #59
Group icon

If you came for a show, which role should I take?

31. Mood Ring | 6.954 Highest Scores: 10: (Nina West, Slayer, Nick F1, Eduardo), Lowest Scores: 0: (Anita Hanjaab)
30. Do Somethin' | 6.958 Highest Scores: 10: (Slayer, Nick F1), Lowest Scores: 2: (Scene)

#31 is Mood Ring, also known as Moon Ring (By Demand) is a song that originally appeared as a bonus track for the Japanese edition of Britney's 9th studio album Glory & was written by Dijon McFarlane, Nicholas Audino, Te Whiti Warbrick, Lewis Hughes, Jon Asher, and Melanie Fontana, along with production by DJ Mustard & Twice as Nice. The song was later included on the reissue of 'Glory' following a sudden resurgence in popularity of the album in 2020, nearly 4 years after the album's original release. It got released to radio in July 2020 as the album's 3rd single. Songwriters Jon Asher & Melanie Fontana composed the song on a piano under the name "Mood Swings", the duo rewrote it to an instrumental track that was later used for "Waterbed", which featured on The Chainsmokers EP "Bouquet" & was originally intended to be a potential collaboration between the artists, but the group turned it down, calling it too girly & eventually Britney recorded the track herself. This would have made a far better lead single than 'Make Me' (there I said it). This song is an absolute bop that somehow wasn't even included on the standard edition of 'Glory', but thankfully it did eventually get corrected. The hypnotic melodies & slinky beats creates a gorgeous soundscape over DJ Mustard's top notch production which makes this the SMASH hit that got away.

At the #30 spot is Do Somethin', released in February 2005 as the 2nd & final single from Britney's first greatest hits album Greatest Hits: My Prerogative & was written and produced by Christian Karlsson and Pontus Winnberg (known collectively as Bloodshy & Avant), with additional writing by Henrik Jonback and Angela Hunter. The song was never intended to be released as single; Britney, however wanted to shoot a music video for it & had to convince the record label. Upon release it became successful by reaching top 10 peaks in 14 countries including Australia, Denmark, Ireland, Netherlands, & in the UK. Although it wasn't given a release in the USA it did manage to peak at #100 on the US Billboard charts due to digital downloads. The usage of a Louis Vuitton dashboard in the video resulted in a lawsuit against Jive Records in late 2007, which ended with Louis Vuitton winning €80,000 in damages. The video was also banned in all European TV channels. A rather fun chaotic number with its electro/pop rock sound that would you a slight idea of the direction she would take with her next album. The frantic beats, fuzzy basslines, chanted verses, & spiky vocal delivery, which not only movies away from Britney's usual style, but gives the song a more spontaneous and improvised tone, making this one of her most interesting and curious singles in her back catalogue.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 12th March 2024, 11:21 PM

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 3rd March 2024, 07:38 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Love that Britney directed the 'Do Somethin' music video!

She also wore that pink crop top in rehearsals for the Toxic music video!

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:09 AM