BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2017: #14, gimme gimme that nicki nicki // + links + write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Apr 4 2017, 09:57 AM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Another week, another number 1. Nicki Minaj becomes the first rapper to top the charts so far this year as her ‘No Frauds’ hits the top spot this week. The track’s a bit Drake-lite and fittingly, features Drake, along with Lil Wayne. Women make up the bulk of the top 5 this week as Inna, Era Istrefi, and Dreezy end the week at 2, 3, and 5 respectively. Dangerous by the XX also ascends into the top 5 from its second week in the low 20s. A slow burning track that saw a surge this week, it's the group's second charter from new album I See You, and second consecutive top 5 following three-week #1 On Hold.

New entries this week come from Clean Zara, Drake, Ariana Grande, another from Zara Larsson, a new one from Goldfrapp, Gorillaz, Møme, R3hab featuring VERITE, indie pop bands Tennis and Miniature Tigers, and TCTS’s track with Sage the Gemini and Kelis, who hasn’t had a hit on my personals in a long time. It also feels like this week’s chart has more than the usual share of left-field picks. I blame the slow-moving mainstream charts, looking forward to some more big releases – although I do enjoy all the indie discoveries I make too. On to this week’s longlist!

01 Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds [11-2-1]
02 Inna - Gimme Gimme [15-2]
03 Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow - Redrum [16-3]
04 The XX - Dangerous [28-26-4]
05 Dreezy - Wasted [24-6-5]
06 Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma [10-6]
07 Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean - Slide [20-10-1-1-7]
08 Little Big Town - Don't Die Young, Don't Get Old [31-8]
09 The Midnight - Synthetic [12-9]
10 The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming [36-16-13-10]
11 London Grammar x THRDL!FE - Big Picture [32-11]
12 Lady Gaga x Andrelli - Million Reasons [18-12]
13 J Sutta - Pushed Me [14-9-13]
14 Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson - Symphony [N]
15 Drake - Madiba Riddim [N]
16 Duran Duran ft. Kiesza x Louis Vivet - Last Night in the City [17-16]
17 Cold War Kids - Can We Hang On ? [18-8-17]
18 Flume ft. Beck - Tiny Cities [7-6-5-18]
19 Coldsmokers - Something Just Like This [34-15-3-3-19]
20 Ariana Grande ft. Future - Everyday [N]
21 Lorde - Green Light [37-23-23-21]
22 Charli XCX ft. M0 - Pull Up (3am) [38-37-22]
23 Maggie Rogers - On + Off [30-22-23]
24 Steps - Scared of the Dark [37-20-24]
25 Tove Lo - Keep It Simple [39-27-25]
26 Pitbull ft. Leona Lewis - Only Ones To Know [33-26]
27 Vera Blue - Private [38-27]
28 Paces ft. Esther Sparkles - Sometimes [29-28]
29 Triana Park - Line [34-29]
30 Alina Baraz ft. Khalid - Electric [19-13-21-30]
31 TCTS ft. Kelis + Sage the Gemini - Do It Like Me (Icy Feet) [N]
32 Zara Larsson - TG4M [N]
33 Zhu - Nightcrawler [40-33]
34 Gorillaz ft. Popcaan - Saturnz Barz [N]
35 Goldfrapp - Moon in Your Mouth [N]
36 R3hab ft. VERITE x It's Different - Trouble [N]
37 Elle King - Wild Love [29-36-37]
38 Møme ft. Dylan Wright - Hold On [N]
39 Miniature Tigers - Crying in the Sunshine [N]
40 Tennis - Baby Don't Believe [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends - Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (2)
Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds (~)

Spotify Link to my weekly A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Apr 7 2017, 12:59 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 5 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Hi Jupiter!

Great to see Symphony enter so high! Slowly growing on me! biggrin.gif

Nice to see Icy Feet enter as well! Hope it can chart officially!

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post Apr 7 2017, 08:08 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473
Heya!

07 Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean - Slide [20-10-1-1-7]
10 The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming [36-16-13-10]
12 Lady Gaga x Andrelli - Million Reasons [18-12] couldn't stand rhw original single version bur this is bangin'
14 Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson - Symphony [N] Not their best. Doesn't help I'm not a massive Zara fan.
19 Coldsmokers - Something Just Like This [34-15-3-3-19]
20 Ariana Grande ft. Future - Everyday [N]
21 Lorde - Green Light [37-23-23-21]
22 Charli XCX ft. M0 - Pull Up (3am) [38-37-22]
23 Maggie Rogers - On + Off [30-22-23]
24 Steps - Scared of the Dark [37-20-24]
25 Tove Lo - Keep It Simple [39-27-25]
26 Pitbull ft. Leona Lewis - Only Ones To Know [33-26] *.* ooo
35 Goldfrapp - Moon in Your Mouth [N]
36 R3hab ft. VERITE x It's Different - Trouble [N]

good chart!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Apr 7 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #4
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Hardly anything older than three or four weeks is left in my top 40 as the chart moves fast for a third week running! New peaks this week for a lot of tracks including Minaj at #1, and particularly big zooms for The XX's Dangerous, Little Big Town's Don't Die Young, which continues a country-crossover boom in my personals, and the THRDL!FE remix of London Grammar's Big Picture, which just skites the top 10 this week. Lorde, Charli XCX, and Pitbull/Leona Lewis are also on the rise as of this week, while Andrelli's remix of Gaga's Million Reasons gives her her second highest charter so far for me from Joanne.

There's 11 new entries this week, and here they are:

Clean Bandit at #14 are this week's highest new entry. Symphony's less immediate than Rockabye but more immediate than Tears, and so took a while to build up steam with me. It's a good semi-ballad midtempo and Zara's vocals are sounding strong. I'm still not 100% on whether the official video suits the song though. Excited to see what's on their album.

Essentially this is Too Good part II minus the Rihanna feature. It's catchy and definitely my pick from the Drake album, or at least my first pick. Sorry Passionfruit.

Still torn about whether I like the video or not - it's pretty out there! - but it's good to see Ariana having fun and not looking like a little girl stuffed into clothes and a role she's uncomfortable in. Or maybe she's become a better actress. I heard this on a night out and it really worked there better than just hearing it on the rest of the album. Great tempo for the dancefloor.

I did not foresee Kelis's return to music after a three year plus break being a dance track with Sage the Gemini, but there you go. The oddly named Icy Feet sounds like it should be a minor chart hit in the vein of Crank It Woah, but it's not been able to impact yet thanks to Drake and Ed. Keep an eye out for it.

Zara Larsson again now, doubling up in this week's top 40. It's her first solo to chart for me since Ain't My Fault after the flop So Good and I Would Like, which I never really got that into. Predictably it became her biggest official chart hit. This one's pretty solid and I'd expect it as the next single. TG4M = Too Good For Me, going by the lyrics.

Gorillaz! And Popcaan's second hit for me ever following I'm In Control. He's doing well choosing those features. Hold on to your horses before you watch the trippy video. Great throwback vibes on this one.

New year, new VERITE. The indiegirl singer's keeping on keeping on by getting her name out there on features. For me, her solo stuff's still a bit hit and miss, but from the volume of stuff she's releasing, you do get the odd gem. I'm pretty sure this is the chart debut of the remixer It's Different, while R3hab have appeared before alongside sister DJ duo NERVO.

Second charter for Mome following the French producer's big success last year Aloha. This one's... not as good, but it's not bad.

And an indie triple to finish. Most well-known of the three acts first, Goldfrapp, charting a second track from their newest album Silver Eye, out just last week, and hopefully a top 10 charter today against stiff competition. Moon in your Mouth was one of two instant grat releases by the band. It's a stormy and airy dark electrochill number that recalls Goldfrapp's second album Black Cherry and sixth album Tales Of Us. Silver Eye follows, in general, the group's pattern of releasing an electronic album followed by an acoustic album, by going back to electronica here. A very sleek sound by the veteran act.

I have less to say about Tennis, this one just squeaks in this week. It's from the band's recently released album Yours Conditionally and is pretty similar to their older material. Lead singer Alaina has hints of Sarah Cracknell of Saint Etienne and Emily Haines of Metric to her, if you're interested in either of those two. Tennis' biggest success on my charts was I'm Callin' in 2015, which has a sound of Lissie and HAIM to it. The band generally make mellow music a bit like Texas or Bright Eyes' quieter moments.

I was really happy to see this group back. I came across their 2016 album by chance looking up old bands that I used to like on Spotify to make a playlist of old songs. Miniature Tigers' track Used to Be the S**t featuring Skizzy Mars was a big song of my summer in 2014, but I had them pegged as a one-track act then, so I was pretty pleasantly surprised to see new stuff. There's a bit of a sound of Fun and Vampire Weekend to this one, it's bouncy, laid back, and a bit summery despite it's negative subject matter. A bit like Pumped Up Kicks! I miss those days when indie songs would see success. Maybe this year!

And that's us for this week. Hope y'all like some of the new tracks! Cheers anyone who's viewed or commented thus far!

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Apr 8 2017, 03:45 AM

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Apr 8 2017, 11:50 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
Hey Jupiter,

Fascinating chart with around 80% that I haven't heard! laugh.gif

But what I do know are there are some great songs in the mix such as Symohony, Scared Of The Dark, Slide and Everyday.

I will endeavour to listen to some of your songs in the coming days. smile.gif

Please be sure to check out my chart for this week — Top 40 Countdown by awardinary (W/E 13/04/2017).

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:25 PM