BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
24 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ultimate Madonna Rate ● RESULTS, 🙏🌠🍬❌
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
dandy*
post 6th January 2020, 07:45 PM
Post #441
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Exciting!

I can see a case for any of them winning, I like that all 3 represent very different styles from one another.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 6th January 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #442
Group icon
User: 13,007

You only see what your eyes want to see

03. Frozen // Ray of Light // 10.154

As the orchestral strings open the song, the beating drum awaits its crescendo and Madonna's earthly vocals set in, Frozen draws the listener in. It builds gradually, like a snowflake making its way down to earth, occassionally being drawn out of flow by the wind. When it hits, the chorus explodes in a haunting, mesmerising cacophony of sounds - they are at times other-worldly, sometimes natural and at others ghostly. The song is about unlocking the cold, frozen heart of a lover and the song itself gives this gravitas as it continually unlocks new sounds and images as it slowly and magically progresses. The lead single to what is now commonly known as Madonna's central masterpiece, 'Frozen' is a standout moment of her career. It features the dream team of Madonna, Leonard and Orbit and together they create a song for the ages. A cinematic masterpiece of a song it became a global phenomenon. Her first single to debut atop the UK chart, and topping charts across the globe, it introduced what was to become a game-changing era of music for Madonna. The music video similarly changed the game; in it Madonna is a witch-like queen transforming into animals and commanding control of the barren world around her. A stunning piece of music that makes waves even today. Lyrically it conveys the power of love in unlocking even the darkest and gloomiest of moods and it is through this power that Madonna is able to transform so readily and majestically. The rest of the album that followed continued to explore the themes of loss, love, loneliness, heartbreak, identity and new-life, but this song does all of that on its own effortlessly and beautifully. It is multi-layered in meanings and offers something different for every listener at every moment in their life. A shape-shifting song, much like the video it conveys and one that truly has stood the test of time and then some. A true moment of her career and very worthy top 3 placing in this countdown.

Madonna: 0/8
Like A Virgin: 0/9
True Blue: 0/9
Like A Prayer: 1/11
Other (80s): 0/10
I'm Breathless: 1/12
Erotica: 0/14
Bedtime Stories: 0/11
Evita: 0/13
Ray of Light: 0/14
Other (90s): 0/12
Music: 0/13
American Life: 0/11
Confessions On A Dancefloor: 0/15
Hard Candy: 0/13
Other (00s): 0/5
MDNA: 0/16
Rebel Heart: 0/25
Madame X: 0/18
Other (10s): 0/3

80s: 1/47
90s: 1/76
00s: 0/57
10s: 0/62

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 6th January 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #443
Group icon

heart.gif

I wanted this at #1 in the end. But I can't deny that score. A true m o m e n t .

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 7th January 2020, 03:10 AM
Post #444
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Nooo Frozen deserved to win! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post 7th January 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #445
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I cant wait to see this on the tour , i have heard it is a highlight!!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th January 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #446
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Personal comments catch up:

'Sorry' is right up there as one of my favourite Madonna singles - for a while, it was even rivaling 'Hung Up' to be my absolute favourite! The sequence of the opening synths, the multi-language whispers and the ascending "heard it all before" hook just gives me thrills and gets me pumped up for the full song ahead. It's just as infectious as 'Hung Up' and should be just as big; I feel like most people would remember this song if it was played but I wish it was given much more attention.

Really impressed that 'God Control' made the Top 10! True, the fact the 2010s doesn't offer as many highlights as the other decades gives it an advantage, but there's no denying it is indeed right up there with one of her best. Much like 'Ghosttown' has proven, I think it'll remain as fondly regarded a couple of years down the line. I've spoken a lot about Madonna's ability to talk about important issues in the guise of upbeat pop music but it's taken to a whole new level here. I knew from the pre-release reviews that this would be a highlight, but nothing could quite prepare me for the moment those synthesised strings came in! Then you've got this relentless disco music and one hook after another - it's so trippy and euphoric but also thought-provoking at the time, like you get both in equal doses without one overpowering the other. I didn't think Madonna still had it in her to create a song as unique and bonkers as this but shame on me for doubting her!

'Don't Tell Me' is a song I've always liked but it's continued to get better with age. The jolty guitar is so memorable and became a signature quality of Mirwais. Contrast that with those lush strings, particularly towards the end of the track, and you have a really interesting, quirky production that comes together so well. I think it may have been you, Dandy, that pointed out the similarities between how 'Don't Tell Me' draws to a close and Miley Cyrus' 'Slide Away', which gave me a new lease of love for both tracks.

There seems to have been a collective rise in interest for 'Get Together' among the fanbase and I too have been part of that. I've come to realise it's quite a unique song in Madonna's discography and even on Confessions itself - it has the same sort of composition format that the other songs on the album follow, but it's more dance-leaning than it is dance-pop. I can definitely note the similarities with Startdust's 'Music Sounds Better With You' and other French house tracks like Daft Punk's 'One More Time'. One of my friends is a DJ and he considers this his favourite Madonna track so it does seem to slot into the dance world very well.

'Hung Up' remains my favourite Madonna track but I can't say I'm disheartened at it placing at #5 considering the average and I love the other four tracks, all of which are probably in my personal Top 10. This is the song that I grew up with and has been a constant source of instant and relentless euphoria. One of the most effective uses of a sample - one that was already a memorable piece in 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' but it sounds so much more polished and vibrant here. Some say the sample makes the song which I guess is true to a large extent, however there's plenty of other interesting components and I'm sure Stuart Price would have been able to create an original production equally as joyous and infectious if required. A song I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing.

Much like 'Sorry', 'Ray of Light' has at times provided tough competition for 'Hung Up' as my favourite Madonna song. I have to say, it has the most interesting and thrilling productions I have ever heard, period. So much to take in, such an extraordinary listening experience and makes me want to go completely bonkers. It somehow works so well within the context of the album, despite being surrounded by much more mellow tracks.

'Frozen' is probably Madonna's most radical and daring reinvention. Those strings pack a huge emotional punch, dripping in melancholy but also evoking something slightly sinister. Her vocal is one of her strongest performances, so delicate and warm against the spine-tingling production. It's adored by the fans but I'd love to see this more recognised by the general public (it may be one of her biggest hits but doesn't have the same cultural impact as 'Like a Virgin', 'Like a Prayer' or 'Vogue'.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th January 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #447
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Jan 6 2020, 07:18 PM) *
It's hard to imagine something like 'Ray of Light' being the massive success it was — what a song. I wish I was an age that could have enjoyed it at the time.

I'm not sure how the general public would react to a song like that from a mainstream (still charting) popstar now.

Same here! Having this blaring in the clubs with the flashing lights and bodies pumping must have been incredible, I so wish I could hear it on a night out.

It really is a unique song. I'd love to hear anything like this in the charts, I can't remember anything that had this much energy and so much going on in its production.

My dad suggested one time that Madonna sings "Anna Friel" in the chorus and now that's all I think about when I hear it lol.

QUOTE(vibe @ Jan 6 2020, 12:12 PM) *
Anyone see Jane McDonald crucifying ROL?

There's only one acceptable cover of 'Ray of Light':

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 9th January 2020, 07:30 AM
Post #448
Group icon

The Frozen video is just perfection on a rewatch. In fact the entire top 3 has some of the best music videos ever released? We have to stan!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 9th January 2020, 07:31 AM
Post #449
Group icon

Also incredibly, this thread is nominated in the Buzzjack Awards this year: http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229553 cheer.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 11th January 2020, 09:00 PM
Post #450
Group icon
Mansonette

Vote for it people, vote for it! wub.gif

And reveal the top 2, I'm ready!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 11th January 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #451
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Top 2 incoming!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 11th January 2020, 09:07 PM
Post #452
Group icon

All you need is your own imagination

02. Vogue // I'm Breathless // 10.231

Strike a pose and let's get to it! Taking the silver medal is 'Vogue', one of the most influential, widely recognised songs to be ingrained into pop culture. A fusion of music, fashion, performance and attitude. A song that perfectly defines Madonna, what she represents and the message she channels through her music. The song employs a minute-long introduction, so self-assured in its status, as a series of clicks progress along a synthline and drum beats. Madonna commands us to pose and her audience unanimously strike a bold hand gesture. What follows is an uplifting message of striving for happiness, to be free to express yourself and be enthralled by the intimacy and euphoria of the music. To articulate this theme of escapism, Madonna takes influence from the underground. 'Voguing' is a highly stylised dance that evolved from the Harlem ballroom scene and was popular in gay clubs. Its dramatic, angular movement reflects the glamorous, bold manner of style icons, bringing confidence and flare to the dance floor, and Madonna was sure to showcase this in the immaculately choreographed music video. 'Vogue' can also be credited for bringing house music to the US mainstream, setting the trend for commercial dance music throughout the decade. Of course, the pinnacle of this song is the middle-8 rap in which Madonna rolls off a list of Hollywood icons - so inspired and fitting with the tone of the song. As a complete package, this slick, stylish piece is perhaps Madonna's finest moment. It celebrates the past and future, music and fashion, love and life and cemented Madonna's place in pop history.

written by Medellíam

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 11th January 2020, 09:07 PM
Post #453
Group icon

When you call my name it's like a little prayer

01. Like A Prayer // Like A Prayer // 10.313

Was there any doubt? Her signature song and (as often cited) one of the greatest songs of all time for a multitude of reasons. The story behind the song is instantly complex: it tells of a young girl in love with God, and it is He who offers her the only affection in her life. But away from that, it represents Madonna at one of the most complex times in her life. She turned 30, had so much to say, wanted to revolutionise the musical landscape and transform the audience she appealed to. She did that with the help of Patrick Leonard and 3 hours worth of songwriting, giving birth to what is now, her best ever song for many people. Deeper in the song there are sexual innuendo aplenty and the juxtaposition of religion and sex sparked controversy for many, but at its heart, the song is one of love - a desperate, all-empowering love that comes from something beyond the human experience.

The recording process for the song was complicated and full of disagreements and drama. But in the end, Madonna got her way and enlisted the help of a choir to help elevate the song to new heights. The opening of the song introduces it as some sort of heavy rock song, but this is almost immediately stripped back in place of an organ, a choir and Madonna's soaring vocals. The song is passionate and rousing and an altogether illuminating listen. The voices merge perfectly, the instrumentation crashes and bangs and the lyrics speak out louder than most pop songs can even attempt. The song received huge critical and commercial acclaim. It is often cited as a highlight of pop music and this was reflected in the charts as it took its place on top of the US, UK and countless other charts. It has gone on to become one of the biggest singles of all time, and rightfully so.

Then came the music video, which in itself is a masterpiece. Directed by Mary Lambert, the hugely controversial video brought race issues to the forefront of the MTV audience. It shows a black man being wrongly accused of a crime by the police and a woman who sees the events unfold but says nothing. Later, images of the man reappear in holy ways and Madonna lusts after him all while setting ablaze the religion and conformity that has plagued her. It is a deeply powerful story of guilt, remorse and lust and beautifully and provocatively tells a haunting story that coincides with the grandeur of the song itself. The song went on to cause heaps of controversy around the world and for countless groups of people, while the video has been hailed as the "Most Groundbreaking Music Video of All Time" amongst other accolades. It continues to be analysed and dissected, offering new generations light on controversial issues of the time (and present day). A masterpiece of a video because it breaks all boundaries and refuses to conform, just like the song itself.

It has received a momentous score of 10.313, racking up countless top scores and has been hailed as the #1 Madonna song - out of all songs ever recorded by the artist. Is it a worthy winner? Like A Prayer also means that the 80s have taken the crown and so too has the album of the same name. What are your thoughts on the top 2, the winner, the countdown as a whole? Let us know!

Madonna: 0/8
Like A Virgin: 0/9
True Blue: 0/9
Like A Prayer: 1/11
Other (80s): 0/10
I'm Breathless: 1/12
Erotica: 0/14
Bedtime Stories: 0/11
Evita: 0/13
Ray of Light: 0/14
Other (90s): 0/12
Music: 0/13
American Life: 0/11
Confessions On A Dancefloor: 0/15
Hard Candy: 0/13
Other (00s): 0/5
MDNA: 0/16
Rebel Heart: 0/25
Madame X: 0/18
Other (10s): 0/3

80s: 1/47
90s: 0/76
00s: 0/57
10s: 0/62

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 11th January 2020, 11:51 PM
Post #454
Group icon
Mansonette

Wonderful top 2 wub.gif and indeed the same as my top 2 from my countdown a couple of years ago. I can only repeat what I said back then, Vogue is the most Madonna Madonna track and captures everything about her so perfectly into one wonderfully stylish track... but Like a Prayer is just a moment of euphoric joy that it simply cannot be denied and I challenge anyone not to find themselves grin as they listen to the choir, it's one of the most uplifting songs ever recorded and for that I simply love it.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 12th January 2020, 08:00 AM
Post #455
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Can’t argue with the top 3

Like A Prayer and Vogue truly iconic !! These songs will still be played in thousands of years !!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 12th January 2020, 02:54 PM
Post #456
Group icon

I also cannot argue with the top 2. While it wouldn't be my personal top 2, it most certainly is her top 2 with the general public I think. Two undeniably gigantic, game-changing moments of pop. Those score are phenomenal too - I don't think there were ANY naysayers for either?!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 12th January 2020, 02:54 PM
Post #457
Group icon

Also, as a thank you for taking part, following and appreciating the thread, here's a gift for you all: http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229743

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 12th January 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #458
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

Yessss!!!

The perfect winner. My personal favourite of hers. And a track that many of my friends who aren’t exactly stans adore as well.

It really is one of those iconic tracks in every way. I wish I was born when it was initially released so I could’ve seen the reaction to it and all the controversy first hand. I just think this is her at her absolute best genius ahead of its time and wow.

With Vogue I’ve never loved it yet I can see why it’s loved. It’s not anywhere near the top of my favourite Madonna tracks. But it’s done so much for the lgbt community and the video and dance routine are definitely iconic. It’s probably the song of hers I hear the most when I’m on nights out too so it’s definitely very popular.

Frozen however I’m so happy come third. It’s really different sounding for Madonna but vocally it’s one of her very best performances and the video is like a work of art so stunning. I remember reading that the video was one of the most difficult ones she’s filmed but it was well worth it for how well it looks on screen. I think Frozen is quite underrated in many ways with the GP too but with stans I think they love it.

I’d put Hung Up where Vogue is personally but that’s a great top 3 and the winner is definitely the right one!

+Quote this post
vibe
post 12th January 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #459
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Could you list the full results ?

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick