BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> MoD ban ITN reporters embedding with British troops
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
David
post 27th October 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 44

I'm not sure if this is better suited in TV, but I posted it here anyway:

MoD bans ITN's embeds

Leigh Holmwood
Friday October 27, 2006
MediaGuardian.co.uk

The Ministry of Defence has confirmed to ITN that it will officially ban its reporters from being embedded with British troops, prompting the news broadcaster to appeal directly to the defence secretary, Des Browne, to intervene.
The MoD told ITN in a letter this afternoon that it had officially decided to ban its journalists following a report ITV news broadcast last week on the treatment of injured British soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The ministry had accused ITN of inaccuracies and invading the privacy of one soldier and threatened to take legal action against it as well as banning its reporters from the embed system.

The two parties had spent all week trying to resolve the situation, but in this afternoon's letter it is understood the MoD told ITN that it could not currently trust it and that it was officially banning it from embedding with UK troops.

The ITN chief executive, Mark Wood, said the news broadcaster would now appeal directly to Mr Browne to have the ban lifted.

"We stand by the journalistic integrity of our reports," he said. "They are robust, well sourced and in the public interest. We find it alarming the MoD has taken this step. We consider this to be a flagrant abuse."

One senior ITN source said the organisation was "seething" over the decision and said it "struck at the heart of democracy".

The first casualty will be reporter Bill Neely's trip to Afghanistan to cover Remembrance Day services with British troops there.

An MoD spokesman had not returned calls by the time of publication.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
David
post 27th October 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 44

It looks to me as though ITN are rumbling them and they have something to hide. smokedrink.gif

+Quote this post
Ricky
post 27th October 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #3
Group icon
what you just said; I am already forgetting - Lena
User: 18

QUOTE(David @ Oct 27 2006, 08:54 PM) *

It looks to me as though ITN are rumbling them and they have something to hide. smokedrink.gif

Yes, I mean having them with you gives you a massive plus. You can determine when and where the journalist go to, what they see etc. I'm quite surprised the MOD have so much to hide.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 27th October 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

Truth is ALWAYS the first casualty of war.... sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Matt Aloud
post 28th October 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,286

and a FREE press dry.gif

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 28th October 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

QUOTE(MConnor @ Oct 28 2006, 10:14 PM) *

and a FREE press dry.gif

The idea of a 'Free Press' is somewhat of a fallacy though, one man owns over 40% of the Media in this country - can you guess who THAT is....? Clue No1 - he's Australian....

+Quote this post
Matt Aloud
post 29th October 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,286

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Oct 28 2006, 10:02 PM) *

The idea of a 'Free Press' is somewhat of a fallacy though, one man owns over 40% of the Media in this country - can you guess who THAT is....? Clue No1 - he's Australian....

Rupert Murdich happy.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 2nd May 2024, 08:11 AM