BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How will Cheryl do with her comeback?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brightest Blue
post 9th October 2017, 10:35 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

I’ve seen on here that she has a new single soon and I really do wonder how she’ll do. I think she’d get an X Factor performance easily and has been in the public eye a lot (baby and Liam). I can see her doing a Rita Ora if the song is good. I’m sure Radio 1 will support her.

What do you think?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 9th October 2017, 10:40 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

She will do a dull tropical pop tune like Rita probably and get a hit after an X factor performance.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 9th October 2017, 10:44 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Her last era was so poor though. It will take a lot to change people’s perceptions, but she’s at that funny age where she’s going to need to appeal to an older audience as I can’t see many teens buying/streaming her new music.

But...

Hopefully I am proven wrong! tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 9th October 2017, 10:46 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I think she's got her work cut out to be successful, after how the last era ended up panning out I'm not at all convinced Radio 1 will support her and it's been 3 years now.

She may get like a flash in the pan top 10 from hype with the first single or something, but I'm not expecting anything more than that.

+Quote this post
post 9th October 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I think even with strong material she’ll stuggle. possibly a low top 10 single debut from fan buys that flounders afterwards and an album that keeps getting pushed back.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 9th October 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

A Girls Aloud comeback would likely have more short-term success than her dwindling solo career does in my opinion. mellow.gif

+Quote this post
seven.
post 9th October 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #7
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428

#1 like all her singles? ~

(or at the very least a decent sized Top 5 hit similar to Your Song, that might be a bit more realistic idk)

+Quote this post
Razor
post 9th October 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,924

i'm really curious about her comeback, how she will do now. But i think she'll struggle to get a TOP 10 single IMO hope i'm wrong.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 9th October 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Break the tension

I mean, not only did her last era end up going disastrously 3 years ago but when she was last releasing it was a completely different climate with the whole pre-order era and streaming not being as dominant a force.

I just don't know how she'll adapt to that, in addition to it being an uphill struggle for her anyway.

+Quote this post
Dennis123
post 9th October 2017, 11:17 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,655

I think she will struggle. She will probably peak fairly high on iTunes but will drop fast and by the time her streaming hits moderate levels, the downloads will have dried up.

I think the perception is that shes over hill now at 34, shes disappeared and had a baby. Her "fanbase" has moved on.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 10th October 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

I think she'll surpass people's expectations and there will be a lot of ohmy.gif when the first set of mids come in but it'll fade quickly and end up like her last era - floppy.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 10th October 2017, 07:35 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

but was the last era so bad? she got two #1 singles, you're talking like she peaked at #180 or something... sure the album didn't do that well but Cheryl is not an album seller

if she's smart she'll release a duet with Liam as comeback single, that's what i'd push for if i were the label

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 10th October 2017, 07:40 AM
Post #13
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I'm suspecting her to go for a contemporary artist as a feature and coast on that name. If she does, I can see a top 5.

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 10th October 2017, 08:25 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

QUOTE(Bjork @ Oct 10 2017, 08:35 AM) *
but was the last era so bad? she got two #1 singles, you're talking like she peaked at #180 or something... sure the album didn't do that well but Cheryl is not an album seller

if she's smart she'll release a duet with Liam as comeback single, that's what i'd push for if i were the label

I Don't Care was lucky to be #1 and let's be honest is one of the most forgettable #1s in recent history (having said that I quite liked it at the time) and Only Human flopped despite a completely different remix for the single. So it wasn't a great era really. I want her to do well with her comeback though.

QUOTE(FreddyVsJupiter @ Oct 10 2017, 08:40 AM) *
I'm suspecting her to go for a contemporary artist as a feature and coast on that name. If she does, I can see a top 5.

My money's on Quavo biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by M4NG0: 10th October 2017, 08:26 AM

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 10th October 2017, 08:45 AM
Post #15
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

I must be one of the few on here who actually rather loved her last album then wub.gif

As others have said though I have a feeling she will struggle this time round. I mentioned this a few years ago around the time 'Only Human' (single) bombed. She's an artist who is notorious for doing just one all out performance on a major TV show (X Factor, BGT etc) and squat all else in the way of promo unless it's to do with L'Oreal or some other venture.

TBH I'm not even sure if she has much in the way of a fanbase to come back to in all honesty given how the last album performed - and even taking her extra curricular activities out the equation that have kept her in the public eye. It's a bit like Victoria Beckham c. the early 00s now, where the fame and press interest has almost superseded anything she has done musically.

I do agree that she'll probably hop onto a collaboration with some 'tropi-house' DJ no one has heard of.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 10th October 2017, 10:16 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I think she’ll debut top 20 and then the track will spend around 7 weeks top 40.
Unless I’ve missed something this will be the first time a Cheryl track hasn’t had weeks or AirPlay, music video and radio play leading to the release. I do think iTunes wise it will top the chart though similar to what Gaga did. I’d love it to do a Rita Your Song but I can’t see it spending anywhere near that long top 40.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 10th October 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

At best, she'll do similarly to how Rita Ora came back with 'Your Song'.

At worst, she will completely miss the mark and scrape Top 40. I don't think an album will even go Top 10 by her tbh.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 10th October 2017, 10:32 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Break the tension

QUOTE(Bjork @ Oct 10 2017, 08:35 AM) *

The second one of those #1s was lucky to get there and fell as though it had a brick tied to it, the album then flopped (compared to the past ones, though the 3rd album indicated a strong decline anyway) and then the post-album single didn't chart upon release and Radio 1 didn't support it (which indicates they probably won't when she comes back).

QUOTE(TheGhostPensmith @ Oct 10 2017, 09:45 AM) *
I must be one of the few on here who actually rather loved her last album then wub.gif

To be fair, I did think it was the least shit out of 4 shit albums.

This post has been edited by Tawdry Hepburn: 10th October 2017, 10:33 AM

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 10th October 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

I have a feeling she won’t do that well. She’s been on a decline during the last few eras and it will be far harder due to streaming.

+Quote this post
Hayzayy
post 10th October 2017, 12:52 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Who's Daniel btw ?
User: 1,804

I think people are quite harsh on her chances of success... I really don't see why she wouldn't have more hits now. She can bring the tunes and the performances, she will have lots of media coverage as usual, and I'm quite confident radio will lap it up, especially if she teams up with the right "cool" producers. If she delivers good singles, she can definitely make it.

Oh and the last album didn't sell much, I know, but it brought 2 number 1 singles which is not something to be labelled as a "flop era". Especially considering both songs did pretty well on radio as well.

I'm not saying she is the new Kylie, but she can definitely still be a popstar at 34, she has the money and a great team behind her: she can still do wonders. Kylie was 33 when she released the iconic "Can't get you out of my head".

This post has been edited by Hayzayy: 10th October 2017, 12:58 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:19 PM