BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much longer will commercial radio...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post Jan 2 2016, 10:43 PM
Post #1
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

...still be a major deciding factor in whether a song is a hit single or not? (you can also include radio 1 in this).

as streaming is getting more popular, do you think it's possible that people will switch from commercial radio to just putting a playlist or 'radio station' on in Spotify or Apple Music, therefore making commercial radio increasingly irrelevant?

maybe in a few years a song being included in Spotify's 'Hot Hits' will be more beneficial than a radio playlist spot for a song's chart performance, especially as any streams will count towards its chart position.

it definitely won't be an instant process, and radio will always be somewhat relevant as for example it's super easy to turn the radio on in the car rather than putting a Spotify playlist on, but I could see something happening in the next few years.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 2 2016, 10:50 PM
Post #2
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

This is a very good thread and one I was hinting at with my post in the tips thread actually.

The trend of rather instead of being the hitmakers going to the stations that play the hits in vain hope of keeping their decreasing listener-base has been going on for a while now and it's got to come to a head soon. The sooner the better because when commercial radio fails people will have to turn to Spotify/other to find music (I imagine sooner or later it'll be so much easier to put something on that isn't the radio in cars and the like, removing the need for it entirely) and that increases the likelihood that people will find what they actually want to listen to and adds to the number of songs getting hits.

Which further then increases the variety of music and gets people interested in music and gives rise to a healthier industry more capable of making hits that'll be remembered down the line. It kinda needs to happen as the current situation isn't conducive to any of that.

I'm not sure on the timescale per se but it's going downhill for radio, perhaps by the end of this decade streaming services will truly take over as a main musical outlet for public/car usage.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jan 2 2016, 10:53 PM
Post #3
Hello?
Group: Members
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

Quite a long time I expect because workplaces will always play commercial radio in the office/back room etc..., and I'm sure this is where a lot of the passive music consumers come from. They spend all day at work listening to the same ten songs and then go home and stream the same ten songs all night.

+Quote Post
AcerBen
post Jan 2 2016, 10:59 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 3,429
   No Gallery Pics

I think playlists will become more important, but I don't see commercial radio becoming unimportant. There's no real sign that they are losing listeners to streaming services. I think the sort of people that listen to Heart aren't the sort that would want to listen to a playlist - they like the "more music variety" of a radio station, as well as hearing a friendly DJ's voice, latest news & travel, and the live feel of radio.

I read somewhere recently that something like 95 percent of people listen to some form of radio every week, or something ridiculous like that.

This post has been edited by AcerBen: Jan 2 2016, 11:05 PM

+Quote Post
John-James
post Jan 2 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,665

I'd like to think streaming kills radio

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Jan 2 2016, 11:12 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,155

I think Radio will continue for a long long time to come but will no longer be a deciding factor in what becomes a hit and their playlists will start to better reflect what people actually want to listen too.

+Quote Post
post Jan 2 2016, 11:30 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

I think radio will continue on for a while. I think people like that it has commentary etc. And it's always good for shops, cafes, salons, offices, gyms, cars etc. I always see Streaming as something people do more in the evening, and radio is more of a daytime. I think they have a good relationship. But I do think it's effected radio a bit, though I think it'll be a very long time before it kills off radios for good.

+Quote Post
TNSEL AND WIRED™
post Jan 2 2016, 11:48 PM
Post #8
controversial biege i mean relic of buzzjack
Member No.: 21,005

Hopefully not for much longer, so many tunes miss out on chart success due to undeserved snubbering sad.gif

But yeah it'll be w central impact for years to come most likely.

This post has been edited by ᔕᑭIᑎᑎIᑎG ᗩᗪᗩᗰ: Jan 2 2016, 11:49 PM

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Jan 3 2016, 12:31 AM
Post #9
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

People will always want to listen to radio with the DJ talking for a bit rather than just a music playlist IMO.

+Quote Post
Graham A
post Jan 3 2016, 01:17 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 20,299
   No Gallery Pics

Radio and the public does not decide what will be a hit. It's just a question of who's got the best marketing policy and money around to ensure what people hear. If the record companies or some clever people want to convince those that stream records to stream a record, then the people that do will do so and think, like those that posted before me, plus some afterwards, they have made a record a hit.
Even the people that campaign for records to be hits on the likes of Facebook are simply responding to a marketing plan. Admittedly not one thought up by a record company. But who really cares, it all goes into the money pot.

As long as radio has lots of people listening to it then marketing people will target those people into liking a record.
As for streaming making hits, it's actually slowing that process down. If you look at the radio stations playlist for the whole of the UK, there is much more new material than in the whole of the streaming chart.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Jan 3 2016, 07:39 AM
Post #11
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(John-James @ Jan 2 2016, 11:01 PM) *
I'd like to think streaming kills radio

Time for Buggles to do a re-write... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jan 3 2016, 07:54 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

Is radio listening actually going down though? Does anyone have figures? I agree that a lot of people like the "live feel" so I dunno if it will go completely

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Jan 3 2016, 10:40 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Radio stations also make their playlists on Spotify for example so in that sense they can drive what people listen to. The playlist local NRJ has here is among the most popular ones and strongly affects the Spotify numbers.

+Quote Post
Shaky Fan
post Jan 3 2016, 11:30 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 509
   No Gallery Pics

This post has been edited by Shaky Fan: Jan 3 2016, 06:39 PM

+Quote Post
Graham A
post Jan 3 2016, 06:10 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 20,299
   No Gallery Pics

I would like to see a streaming site do live music, debates, phone ins. Also Radio pays considerably more money to the artists than any of the current streaming sites. Like it or not, if you stream music you are just robbing performers of the income they would get.
If the people who stream had to pay the real cost of the streams they would switch back to downloads or just go back to illegal means of obtaining music.

This post has been edited by Graham A: Jan 3 2016, 06:11 PM

+Quote Post
Ethan
post Jan 3 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #16
3:23
Member No.: 5,269
   No Gallery Pics

r1's playlist needs to move with the times and become more dynamic for the digital on-demand age ~ it needs expanding with constant curation as and when relevant music is released, instead of the weekly committee of middle aged execs pontificating over what they want to spoon feed to the listener, and reflect what their audience actually listens to~

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jan 3 2016, 07:32 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

Radio 1 should add all OAOS songs immediately, not only the big names, it's a bit unfair that if you're One Direction or Adele or Coldplay you are added instantly, but other acts go OAOS but are only added 1 month later sad.gif

but personally I don't mind radios dictating what's a hit, I think playlists on Spotify are worst and have too much power, you're in the right playlist and you have a hit, plus playlists can easily be manipulated by labels...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:32 PM