BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Liam's Big Brother retrospective!, Best and worst, UK, US and Aus, celeb and non celeb!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post Jul 20 2017, 12:24 AM
Post #1
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,139

I thought I'd do a little retrospective ohmy.gif

So basically in this thread I'll talk about hosuemates I loved and hated from each series. I decided not to do a countdown as such becasue it's hard to compare and I wanted to talk about a few from US, Can and Aus too and it's definitely hard to lump them in with UK housemates when hte format for the former 2 is different. So i'll talk about each UK series (lumping some in together if they're too dull etc.) and then lump those countries' housemates into one block for each country if I can. Mostly though this will about UK!

First lot coming soon, and I've chucked in all the BBs prior to BB5 as I couldn't think of much to say about ay of them apart from 3 laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Jul 20 2017, 12:43 AM
Post #2
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Worst: Paul

done

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jul 20 2017, 01:25 AM
Post #3
The Lady Said Go Home!
Member No.: 20,835

I can't wait to see this I havent seen the AUS series but I know Tim from it due to BBCAN so excited

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jul 20 2017, 01:25 AM
Post #4
Brown cow, stunning!

BBUK Series 1-4:

Big Brother 1:

The very first series was a totally different world to what we are used to ohmy.gif It was a proper social experiment, few (if any, iirc) twists and just people interacting, nominating and getting evicted. Sada Walkington holds the dubious honour of the first ever evictee, narrowly being ousted with 55% of the vote compared to Caroline O'Shea, who only lasted two more weeks. The most important storyline of the series was Nasty Nick's ejection, speaking of....

BEST:

Nasty Nick Bateman - simply because he was the first to realise it is indeed a game! It is absolutely laughable that he was ejected when you look at housemates like Aaron and Dexter from the C5 era, but back then "playing the game"was unheard of, it was seen as cheating! Nick's tactics are all in a day's work for most US housemates even, he lied about his dying in a car crash (he wasn't even married) and planted seeds to manipulate nomination. At the time, there was public outrage, but looking back, he set the precedent for a certain type of housemate, it was just a different time back in 2000!

WORST:
None really, looking back with what we know now it's very tame laugh.gif

Big Brother 2:

The second series was much the same, arguably bigger and better characters on the whole but still without the twists that make up the entire program now! A central storyline was what is still one of the best showmances from Helen and Paul. A ditzy welsh lass and a self confessed metrosexual from Reading actually seemed qite believable as a couple, and lasted 4 years outside the house. The series was won by gay Irishman Brian Dowling, who also inexplicably won Ultimate Big Brother despite being absolutely intolerable in both instances. Not a series I ever go back to apart from my initial watch years after (being 4 at the time I didn't quite manage to watch it at the time obv x).

BEST:

Helen Adams - an absolute joy of a woman, just hilarious. She was ditzy as anything, known for her phrases such as "I like blinking I do", which made her such fun to watch and totally lovable. She was one of those people you can imagine being friends with and beng the life and soul.

WORST:

Brian Dowling - good god I HATED him. I never found him amusing, likeable or funny in the slightest. To me he was just irritating, extra and a total attention seeker. I hate to use this phrasing but he is, for want of a better way to say it, the kind of gay person I hate. Everything just had to be about him and it has to be suh a big deal and over the top. I wouldn't have minded if he had just f***ed off after BB, but he had to go and win the Ultimate series too and host Big Brother for 2 years, which is the reason I'm a bit hazy on that first period of C5 BB, I just couldn't watch it properly because I hate him so much. Possibly my least fave who wasn't for being horrible laugh.gif

Big Brother 3:

After the success of the previous two, BB3 took some risks, it was bigger and flashier, with a live launch. It also had a big twist in the first eviction which upturned the game for then - the public nominated and the housemates evicted, with a little someone called Jade Goody surviving. Owing largely to the hysteria around Jade, this is still the highest rated series to date (and ofc Channel 5 aren't gonna beat it). Personally it's not my absolute fave series but definitely the best of this bunch!

BEST:

Jade Goody - Of course, it had to be her. In 9 short weeks, Jade went from reviled hate figure (there's no way she'd have survived the first eviction if the public voted) to the new nation's sweetheart and is symbolic of the juggernaut the show was at its prime. She was crass, loud, dumb and immature, but all of that made her strangely lovable. She was such an intruiging character to watch, you couldn't believe the facepalming dumb shit she came out with but you also couldn't help but laugh. Of course it all went a bit pearshaped in CBB5, but we'll get to that later.

WORST:

Adele Roberts - She was just quite nasty and argumentative and selfish. Not among the absolute worst by any means but if I have to pick for this series.... She was hated by the public and booed heavily on eviction but it didn't do her much harm as she is now a Radio 1 DJ, currently hosting the early breakfast show and she sometimes presents at more sociable times covering for her colleagues. She's probably lowkey the most successful BB housemate in terms of actually working after laugh.gif

Big Brother 4:

A hideously boring series the likes of which we have pretty much never seen since, except mabe BB12. There are CBB series that are worse for other reasons but we'll get to that later. For some reason rather than the winning formula of BB3, they made this series back to basics and then some, with pretty much none of the housemates having a personality. The one who did was out first, apart from Lisa "I can kill you with two fingers" Jeynes who was also quickly dispatched following a late entrance. While BB1 and 2 are just different to what we're used to, BB4 is and was a chore to watch when I did on Youtube, so I skipepd lots of it admittedly.

BEST:

Anoushka Golebiewski - Best being the only one of note apart from Lisa... She seemed pretty bubbly and fun but in a vote to evict series I guess the only one with a personality is gonna come off the worst :/ She did get a bit more of a chance to shine as a guest on Big Brother Australia.

WORST:
Pretty much the whole cast zzz.gif

+Quote Post
Leonardo
post Jul 20 2017, 01:39 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,502

I'd go faves; Anna, Helen, Jade & Lisa
Least fave: Tom (dull), Stuart (winker), Sandy (pissed in a bin) & Gos (deathly dull).

Also Nick did cheat as he clearly was trying to target people for nominations by writing names down, in C4 BB, this was always punished. He obviously didn't deserve the backlash against him which should only he reserved for evil people like Piers Morgan, his confrontation scene still remains one of the most iconic in BB history.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jul 20 2017, 01:45 AM
Post #6
The Lady Said Go Home!
Member No.: 20,835

Jade was my fave from series 2 too wub.gif

Not sure I remember much of them series to say a worst laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jul 20 2017, 01:52 AM
Post #7
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Leonardo @ Jul 20 2017, 02:39 AM) *
I'd go faves; Anna, Helen, Jade & Lisa
Least fave: Tom (dull), Stuart (winker), Sandy (pissed in a bin) & Gos (deathly dull).

Also Nick did cheat as he clearly was trying to target people for nominations by writing names down, in C4 BB, this was always punished. He obviously didn't deserve the backlash against him which should only he reserved for evil people like Piers Morgan, his confrontation scene still remains one of the most iconic in BB history.

Yeah true I forgot he actually wrote the names down laugh.gif But it's so amazing to think, looking back, how reviled he was for some stuff that really would be little to nothing in a series now laugh.gif Well, not nothing but they'd probably be evicted and never heard of (not least because of viewing figures kink.gif), it showed what a groundbreaking concept it was I suppose that it caused such furore at the time.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jul 20 2017, 02:29 AM
Post #8
Brown cow, stunning!

Big Brother 5

The first series of the golden era of Big Brother for me, which I'd say is series 5-8. This is the series where BB properly found its lane imo, it embraced being a bit trashy and out there by employing leagues of big characters from all walks of life sure to clash. And boy did they clash... Big Brother 5 is remembered particularly for the iconic Fight Night, which if you didn't see it was MILES more heated than what got Lotan removed this series. Following what is still the greatest twist of all time, a fake eviction that sent Emma and Michelle to a bedsit where they saw everything of their fellow housemates, Emma and Michelle returned to the house and, with added alcohol, everything went tits up laugh.gif A small food fight in jest turned into uproar when hosuemates refused to clear up, Nadia pushed over tables, Victor and Emma threw plates at each other (iirc), Jason threatened violence and nearly walked due to having to live with "animals"... It was absolutely gripping to watch but also pretty awful, when you see poor timid Shell in the corner actually cowering you see how awful and scary the atmosphere must have been! Emma was eventually ejected, the second of the series. There was a bitchy clique in the form of the "Lipgloss Bitches", featuring eventual winner Nadia (the first trans winner of Big Brother), arguments galore (including one of my faves between Michelle and Ahmed, two polar opposites clashing that you would only see in Big Brother) and another controversial ejection for the first time since Big Brother 1. Kitten was a political activisit and made her anti-establishment views known, refusing to obey by the rules rght from the start. Big Brother had enough by the end of the week, but unlike most ejections, Kitten's was a live broadcast, like a normal eviction. She was told to give herself up by Big Brother, and the housemates wouldn't let her go - until the money was involved! For each second Kitten remained in the house, the prize money depleted, and the housemates suddenly couldn't wait to see the back of her, practically shoving her through the diary room door rotf.gif All in all this was an explosive series that gripped the nation from start to finish, with a suitable amount of twists (aside from the essential Bedsit twist, there were a couple of instances of immunity etc., but sparse enough so they were actually twists when they happened, not the norm) but the best thing was that, mostly, the drama started and sorted itself. Granted, a lot of it was the residual divide from the fight night stuff, but still laugh.gif

BEST:

Michelle Bass - My fave of the series, she was just hilarious rotf.gif She was probably the first big example of someone who you could tell really was gagging to be famous off the show, but I didn't really mind. I loved her romance with Chicken Stu, it was just quite cute and believable and nice to watch even if they did shag under the table kink.gif She was always the life and soul, would go OTT enough in arguments to make them hilarious and blew up for drama when needed. NO NAKED JACCUZINESS. She's honestly in my top 10 of all time, the public I think were tired of her though by the end as she got nearly 70% of an I think 6 way vote to evict, oops laugh.gif

Nadia Almada - A worthy winner, a unique and hilarious character (who can forget her melting down over fags laugh.gif). It would have been easy for Nadia to coast through on her story, perhaps a bit of novelty mixed with sympathy for being the first trans housemate, but she let her personality do the talking and the nation fell in love. Sadly, it went downhill in UBB as her time was marred by a fued with Coolio that pretty much consumed her entire stay and she was 3rd to be evicted, coming out to a hostile reception that kind of left a horrible mark on her legacy :/

WORST:

Jason Cowan - his arrogance was unbelievable, he wasn't even attractive laugh.gif I could put Victor for the same reason but I appreciated him as a housemate, whereas Jason was just aggressive, unreasonable and totally up himself with a distorted sense of self importance. I can't fathom how he came 2nd, although Nadia won by somewhat of a landslide anyway. I think he was maybe pushed by being the face of the anti Nadia etc. crowd once Victor was gone, which gave him more votes. Idk. But last I heard of him he was cleared of a suspected sexual assault.

Ahmed Aghil - just a bit of a weirdo really laugh.gif I appreciated Big Brother putting in someone totally different, 15 years older than the next oldest housemate, a Muslim and a somewhat socially reserved older male. But he was just in his own little bubble, didn't interact that much with others by and large and he's not one you'd say seemed to enjoy the experience much. I think it was just a cast of being mis-cast in the season, if he'd been with a few other older housemates, he could have found a niche maybe, idk. But I never really liked him at all.

+Quote Post
Leonardo
post Jul 20 2017, 04:38 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,502

Series 5, probably my favourite was, in retrospect, Michelle, although if I had the power I'd still keep Nadia as the winner as it was so important in terms of trans acceptance in this country, worst that series I'd say Kitten as I find that whole "breaking rules is radical" schtick very tedious, and Jason and Ahmed proved good as the foils in arguments against various Lipgloss Bitches,

This post has been edited by Leonardo: Jul 20 2017, 04:38 AM

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jul 20 2017, 07:09 AM
Post #10
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Not properly seen any of the series mentioned yet but I'm suprised that Adele Roberts was so argumentative! I'm even more surprised that she has a job at Radio 1 because she's so DULL anytime I've heard her cover a show!

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jul 20 2017, 07:29 AM
Post #11
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

I agree that 5-8 is the pinnacle of Big Brother UK, however I don't agree that Jason isn't attractive lol (I wouldn't say no kink.gif).

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Jul 20 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

Michelle and Nadia wub.gif Sigh. We don't get housemates like that anymore.

Speaking of Michelle, I remember her RAGING at Ahmed for something I can't recall. It was so epic wub.gif Ahmed did provide the iconic smashing of the plates tho.

I know we're not at BB6 yet but I'm hoping Makosi makes your best list. I know I overuse 'iconic' but she is the absolute definition of iconic housemate!

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Jul 20 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

And welp, I remember Adele squaring up to Jade.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jul 20 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #14
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Leonardo @ Jul 20 2017, 05:38 AM) *
Series 5, probably my favourite was, in retrospect, Michelle, although if I had the power I'd still keep Nadia as the winner as it was so important in terms of trans acceptance in this country, worst that series I'd say Kitten as I find that whole "breaking rules is radical" schtick very tedious, and Jason and Ahmed proved good as the foils in arguments against various Lipgloss Bitches,

Yeah I wouldn't take Nadia's win either, whilst I prefer Michelle, it was one of those sort of "journey" wins that felt satisfying to watch and like she really truly deserved it, I don't think there has been a better winner since except maybe one who I'll cover later, for that reason. It was a real moment and most winners I'm either wtf how or "aw" because they're just nice.

QUOTE(Klaus @ Jul 20 2017, 08:09 AM) *
Not properly seen any of the series mentioned yet but I'm suprised that Adele Roberts was so argumentative! I'm even more surprised that she has a job at Radio 1 because she's so DULL anytime I've heard her cover a show!

Omg I was too, idk why I know she's hardly going to be screaming at people on Radio 1 but when I've heard her you just wouldn't expect it laugh.gif

QUOTE(Oliver @ Jul 20 2017, 08:29 AM) *
I agree that 5-8 is the pinnacle of Big Brother UK, however I don't agree that Jason isn't attractive lol (I wouldn't say no kink.gif).

Ofc you would kink.gif

QUOTE(jase. @ Jul 20 2017, 12:27 PM) *
Michelle and Nadia wub.gif Sigh. We don't get housemates like that anymore.

Speaking of Michelle, I remember her RAGING at Ahmed for something I can't recall. It was so epic wub.gif Ahmed did provide the iconic smashing of the plates tho.

I know we're not at BB6 yet but I'm hoping Makosi makes your best list. I know I overuse 'iconic' but she is the absolute definition of iconic housemate!

spoiler: it goes without saying she'll feature *.*

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Jul 20 2017, 03:00 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Intrigued to see whether Grace makes your love or hate list tongue.gif

I recently watched her "best bits" and in a bitching session with Nikki she referred to Sam and Aisleyne as "the he-she and the wigga". Such a mean bitch sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Jul 20 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #16
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Hoping that either geezer Maxwell or Saskia as worst for BB6.

Was Ahmed the plate smashing guy?

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jul 20 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #17
Brown cow, stunning!

Yep that's Ahmed laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Jul 20 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Maxwell and Saskia were the f***ing PITS.

Derek from BB6 remains an icon <3

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Jul 20 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

I stopped watching two years ago but was a regular viewer in the early days from BB2 onwards.

BB2 - In those days,housemates were allowed to bring in books and magazines. Sometimes if you put on the live feed (shown on E4 day and night except for evening peak time) they would be reading books and not saying anything. Two of the boring housemates,Elizabeth and Dean sailed through to the final week as they never said anything that would get them nominated. Highlights were the Helen/Paul romance,Bubble tripping over a table and getting sent to hospital and Dean breaking a world record for a sugar cube tower.

Best - Helen
Worst - Elizabeth

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Jul 20 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Helen and Paul (I remember thinking he was FIT) wub.gif Back when two people falling for each other wasn't a showmance and was genuinely nice to watch.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:24 PM