BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How has Ed Sheeran managed to stay so relevant?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post 4th January 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Jan 4 2020, 09:39 PM) *
Sorry but there has to be more to it than that. He hasn't got 3 of the top 5 best-selling singles of the decade for nothing. Some of his lyrics are a bit cringe but he knows how to write a catchy tune. You can't say his songs are not memorable.

I can if I can barely remember them. Granted, it’s because I don’t listen to them more than a couple of times but that’s also the same for other chart hits that I do find memorable.

Charts of the decade are meaningless now. Streaming has overinflated the status of plenty of songs along with those three from Ed.

Shape Of You has ‘outsold’ Bohemian Rhapsody bit of you take that seriously, it’s quite worrying.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 4th January 2020, 10:16 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 4 2020, 07:17 PM) *
He's just smart and knows how to play the industry - 'down to earth' image, never out of the spotlight for too long, writes songs that will be eaten up by the radio yet also has a bit of street cred with his collaboration with rappers and big names which opens him up to other audiences. I mean look at when he went for Christmas Number 1, he knew exactly what he needed to do to get it and he succeeded by a mile.

At this point, his name is enough to sell anything so he can do a lot of things that not a lot of artists can do. Yet he still never strays too far from MOR and never something not suitable for radio. It's all very safe, and honestly that reason is why I've never really got into him as I don't feel any of his songs have been a proper risk.

He'll fade eventually, every artist has a certain time of relevance before it passes on, he's just been good at making his time worth it.

It is ridiculous that you say these things like they are negatives, when if they were done by other buzzjack faves, like Kylie, Mariah, Little Mix, Leona etc, they would be seen as positives.

Most of this forum would love their fave artists to be a clever or as savvy as Ed and their faves are just as middle of the road making commercial pop music.

+Quote this post
davidas
post 4th January 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 70,067

I’d love him to flop.. can’t stand his music and never got his appeal.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 4th January 2020, 10:34 PM
Post #24
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jan 4 2020, 10:16 PM) *
It is ridiculous that you say these things like they are negatives, when if they were done by other buzzjack faves, like Kylie, Mariah, Little Mix, Leona etc, they would be seen as positives.

Most of this forum would love their fave artists to be a clever or as savvy as Ed and their faves are just as middle of the road making commercial pop music.

Where did I mention that they were negatives? It doesn't particularly bother me either way about the factors I mentioned in the first paragraph, I'm just thinking objectively. Good luck to him.

It's cool that you're going straight to stereotypes, but I don't particularly rate any of the artists you mention either (though I'd argue Kylie was a lot more open to experimentation when she was at her peak) for similar reasons and I really don't look to the charts at all for new music, so it's not a case of me thinking Ed is evil incarnate, it's that MOR, radio friendly or "Spotify" music in general just bores me and most artists in the chart play to it, and while Ed isn't the only one, he's a pretty clear face of it.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 5th January 2020, 08:30 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

I really liked him in the beginning but lost me as a fan cos of his fake "I'm normal" attitude and most importantly his bad lyrics

For his last era, sure he's done amazingly in singles, but...if you consider the crazy playlist support he gets, I actually think his last album has underperformed... not even getting double platinum is shocking, wonder where the album would be if you subtract the streaming points from playlists...

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 5th January 2020, 11:57 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jan 5 2020, 10:30 AM) *
I really liked him in the beginning but lost me as a fan cos of his fake "I'm normal" attitude and most importantly his bad lyrics

For his last era, sure he's done amazingly in singles, but...if you consider the crazy playlist support he gets, I actually think his last album has underperformed... not even getting double platinum is shocking, wonder where the album would be if you subtract the streaming points from playlists...

Yea that bothers me in his arrogance that "he doesn't promote". I mean he had the biggest tour of the year and all possible playlist placements. Still only two of his tracks (IDC and BP) have been hits globally, SOTB might get there though and there was a radio station here in Finland that played Cross Me like crazy for whatever reason.

None of the singles have reached 1 billion listens on Spotify yet though. IDC is not very far away and doing pretty well still globally.

This post has been edited by SKOB: 5th January 2020, 12:05 PM

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 5th January 2020, 12:05 PM
Post #27
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Its pretty easy, he's a man, comes across as pretty humble, is unassuming looking amd writes songs mums will like, which got his foot in the door enough for him to get a huge marketing powerhouse machine behind him.

People as rich as Ed Sheeran is now don't fail or flop unless by choice or in the case of female artists, get what society calls 'too old'. Oldness is something that's still NEVER ascribed to male artists or something they're questioned about in interviews.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 5th January 2020, 05:01 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

The hatred for Ed on this forum is hilarious!

He’s popular because he writes good songs, is a likeable guy and has collaborated with the right people. I’m not his biggest fan but I like white a few tracks, there’s nothing offensive about him really hence he is popular to the masses. Seeing all the basic female artists that are so popular on here but the slating of successful male acts is hilarious as always!

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 5th January 2020, 05:39 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Jan 5 2020, 05:01 PM) *
The hatred for Ed on this forum is hilarious!

He’s popular because he writes good songs, is a likeable guy and has collaborated with the right people. I’m not his biggest fan but I like white a few tracks, there’s nothing offensive about him really hence he is popular to the masses. Seeing all the basic female artists that are so popular on here but the slating of successful male acts is hilarious as always!

I think it’s hilarious that we still get members stereotyping and pigeonholing the site in general and that they use such hyperbole when they do so.

‘Hatred’ is a strong word and you’ve used it to make members that don’t like or are annoyed by Ed seem irrational when they’re just stating their opinions.

Not all of us stan basic female acts. There are female acts I enjoy but there are also male ones too as I spend a good amount of my time listening to Maroon 5, George Ezra, The Killers, Billy Joel, Arctic Monkeys and Stereophonics to name a few. I also don’t like Ariana Grande, Ellie Goulding, Billie Eilish, Rita Ora or Dua Lipa.

It’s so lazy to slate the tastes of the site as if we’re all the same and to state we ‘hate’ an artist for being successful.

The people I find most annoying on here are those who only like artists because they’re successful. And that their success means that the people who don’t like them have a problem.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 5th January 2020, 08:02 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

What's with the 'he's a nice guy' thing? He's shown on numerous occasions to be incredibly cocky, has made digs at other artists for apparently 'copying' him, bragged about his success and if anything plays up to the 'down to earth' thing with his media appearances ("omg he only wore jeans and a t-shirt thats how down to earth he is!") etc.

Most artists these days are nice people. I could name dozens of artists who are genuinely humble about their success. When did wearing jeans and a t-shirt and writing passive aggressive songs like Love Yourself count as being a nice person?

+Quote this post
burning up!
post 5th January 2020, 09:49 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 1,139

one of the biggest artists of the 80s, phil collins, was also seen as a regular man, and it helped him,i guess it´s also helping ed.his success? he writes catchy songs that can please teenagers, people in their 20s and even parents, he has some catchy pop non-dangerous songs. and hislast album I think has been a brilliant idea, he is using other big names, so it´s not about himself all the time,so he avoids a backlash.and some songs are really catchy...and if they don´t work, you can´t even blame him!

+Quote this post
tommie
post 5th January 2020, 10:02 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Male, young, collaborated with the right people and straddled different genres.

Let's see where he is ten years from now.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 5th January 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #33
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I've seen plenty of interviews with him and have never ever got a 'fake' or whatever other criticisms people have of his personality vibe from him at all. He really does just come across as a very down to Earth and likeable personality (very much like Lewis Capaldi), and I'd have thought even people who hate his music would admit that. I guess if you really want to twist him being ambitious and proud of his achievements as 'cocky' then ok but... how dare an artist care about their success and want to do well? He's not exactly out here claiming to be the greatest and most successful artist to ever walk the planet. Admittedly him saying he had no promotion for his collaborations album was a little disingenuous to say the least but that doesn't make him the devil lol ~

Also I said it before the album came out and I'll say it again now as people are still pushing the 'this album was an underperformance!' narrative, 'No.6 Collaborations Project' was simply never going to come close to matching the sales of his other albums because it's an entirely different concept that is not exactly a formula for massive album sales, what it was a formula for was giving as many people as possible a good number of songs to cherrypick and listen to from it, and in that matter it was very clearly a huge success since it produced 3 #1s and two further top 5 hits (plus several other songs that were very popular but blocked from the chart by the rules that his own previous successes caused to be brought in). Y'all don't be surprised when his next regular album most likely massively outsells this one, assuming he goes back to his usual schtick.

QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Jan 5 2020, 08:02 PM) *
has made digs at other artists for apparently 'copying' him

When has he ever done this? I only ever recall the exact opposite happening (like when he was accused of ripping songs from Matt Cardle / Marvin Gaye)? Maybe I just missed this but I don't remember anything like this and Google isn't bringing anything up ~

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 5th January 2020, 10:25 PM
Post #34
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

I'm not the biggest fan of Ed at all, but I can see why he has remained so popular/relevant.

Much as it pains me to say it he is clearly a very talented songwriter and he also has a very good team around him, he puts out music with a wide mainstream appeal which in turn generates greater hype and interest around him each time he puts out a new project or begins a new era. Needless to say he has put in a lot of hard work over many many years to build up the kind of fanbase and support that has helped him to get where he is. It's not for me, but clearly there is a massive market for this sort of thing, if he wasn't doing it someone else would be.

That said, the 'zero promo' thing about the No.6 Collaborations Project did wind me up!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 5th January 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(T Boy @ Jan 4 2020, 04:20 PM) *
He’s safe and extremely clever. He knows exactly what image and sound people want and expect from him.

I’ve never really got the appeal, there are so many other solo singer songwriters out there who I feel do it better but don’t get the success.

100% THIS

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 5th January 2020, 10:29 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jan 4 2020, 10:16 PM) *

Why does it trigger you so much if people don't like Ed Sheeran?

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 6th January 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jan 5 2020, 10:29 PM) *
Why does it trigger you so much if people don't like Ed Sheeran?

I have no idea what triggered means. I assume you meant why does the irrational dislike of Ed on here when he does exactly the same as most of the posters on here basic faves do annoy me? Well because so many posts are so pot, kettle black. So many will criticise him for something, then beg and hope their own basic fave does the same but isn't as good so doesn't ever get the same results.

Bit like Mariah going all out for #1 on here being praised and rooted for but Ed going all out for the xmas number 1 a couple of years ago was desperate and those same people hated it.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone disliking Ed, he isn't exactly my cup of tea but constantly reading inconsistencies in why people dislike him is laughable. At least just be honest you are jealous your flop ass fave cant get the type of success Ed does.

This post has been edited by sammy01: 6th January 2020, 01:46 PM

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 6th January 2020, 02:00 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

QUOTE(Bré @ Jan 5 2020, 10:05 PM) *
When has he ever done this? I only ever recall the exact opposite happening (like when he was accused of ripping songs from Matt Cardle / Marvin Gaye)? Maybe I just missed this but I don't remember anything like this and Google isn't bringing anything up ~

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/ed-sheerans-fans-...NKm40I6X0D8lEMr

"There are a lot of singer-songwriters around now," Ed mused. "I'm not the first, but there are more than before. I'm very happy for everyone to be in the same race as me, even if they copy every single thing I've done."

He's a knob. Also that time he was bragging about shagging all of Taylor Swift's pals.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 6th January 2020, 02:12 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

I'd say he was stating a fact - before Sheeran male singer-songwriters with a folkie bent were old hat, now they are all the rage, and by and large they are less interesting than Sheeran taking his career overall. That's the music biz in a nutshell: someone gets huge success, and the soundalikes jump in on it, always was, always will. Some use it as a platform before branching out, some don;t have the talent to do that. I'm not claiming he was the first folkie male singer-songwriter, mind, if were are talking that then we go back to the 60's and 70's for the inspirations for that. He did bring it back as a thing in a modern music biz though.

I still dislike his ballads though laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th January 2020, 02:15 PM
Post #40
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

That's not him taking a dig at other artists for copying him, he's saying he wouldn't mind if people copied him... and he also says in the exact same quote that he's not the first person to do it... I really think there's some massive straw clutching going on here for reasons to dislike him.

QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Jan 6 2020, 02:00 PM) *
He's a knob. Also that time he was bragging about shagging all of Taylor Swift's pals.

And again I don't remember this and can't find it on Google but I already can't wait to see how much you're twisting whatever he supposedly said on this topic out of context lol

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 08:41 AM