BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What should the release strategy have been for Madame X?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 14th June 2019, 05:49 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

I think it's pretty clear to most on here that the pre-album songs released from Madame X may not have been our first choices for how to play the era before album dropped. This is how it went down:

Single #1: Medellín
Promo #1: I Rise
Promo #2 / single #2: Crave
Promo #3: Future
Promo #4: Dark Ballet
Album release.

Either searching for commercial appeal or just releasing the strongest material or the most outrageous, how would you have played this era if you were M's manager?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 14th June 2019, 05:49 PM
Post #2
Group icon

CODE
Single #1:
Promo #1:
Promo #2 / single #2:
Promo #3:
Promo #4:

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 14th June 2019, 05:54 PM
Post #3
Group icon

Single #1: Medellín ~ For me, this is still the biggest song on the album both in terms of commercial appeal, and introducing the era that is both fun, adventurous and daring
Promo #1: Crave ~ Shows a different side to the album, features hot property so it'll get those extra streams, and is one of her best songs in ages, delectable, luscious and alluring
Promo #2 / single #2: God Control ~ Huge song, would've got the world talking, Eurovision performance, massive production, wacky, zany, totally Madame X
Promo #3: I Rise ~ I would much prefer 'Killers Who Are Partying', but let's leave that has a discovery on the album to really stop people in their tracks. As much as this isn't a favourite from her, it's really safe and would keep the hype going for the album nicely
Promo #4: I Don't Search I Find ~ Shows off the production on the album, fantastic message and a beautiful lead into the album release without being too jarring and off-putting

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 15th June 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Promo #1: Dark Ballet - Would get people talking, that's for sure!
Single #1: Medellín - everything about the release would stay the same, video and campaign were just fine for me
Promo #2: Come Alive (plus Eurovision performance, I just think this could have translated so well with Like a Prayer too with a huge choir!)
Promo #3: I Don't Search I Find
Promo #4 / Single #2: God Control - (big statement to launch the album with, whilst already having promo tracks to reassure that there is sane stuff here too)
single #3: Crave
single #4: Faz Gostoso
single #5: I Rise (milking it now)

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 15th June 2019, 01:45 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I’d have done it as

1: Medellin as single 1. It done well enough and if any collaboration were to be used as a single it would be this one.
Promo single 1: Batuka: Continues to show off the Latin element and street feel what Medellin does and helps gather the element of the Portuguese influence on the album. A segment of the track would be performed at Billboard Awards during Medellin

2. God Control as single number two alongside a Eurovision performance which begins with God Control then transcends into Like A Prayer.
Promo single 2: Come Alive. Balances out God Control and shows her softer side.

Promo single

3. Killers Who Are Partying: (A controversial statement song what’s bound to get people talking)
4: I Don’t Search I Find (which is then upgraded to single 3) leave the most likely to get GP on board till last. Positive publicity leading up to release.

Then release Faz Gostoso with a carnival themed video.

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: 15th June 2019, 08:31 PM

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th June 2019, 02:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon

What is this Come Alive support? unsure.gif It's one of the most forgettable for me..

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post 15th June 2019, 03:25 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008

Single #1: Faz Gostoso (a little more impactful than Medellín, and Anitta fans are obviously much more helpful than Maluma’s when it comes to streaming tongue.gif)
Single #2: God Control (big Eurovision performance!)
Single #3: Medellín

No promo singles! Focus on promoting the actual singles

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th June 2019, 04:12 PM
Post #8
Group icon

Promo singles help sell the album imo and in an era where the singles won't be successful that's important. Interesting choice of lead single though!

+Quote this post
vibe
post 15th June 2019, 04:16 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I’m not feeling come alive either that much.

Medellin should have been pushed more after the billboard .

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post 15th June 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(HausofTove @ Jun 15 2019, 05:12 PM) *
Promo singles help sell the album imo and in an era where the singles won't be successful that's important. Interesting choice of lead single though!

I don’t feel like that’s the case tbh, if anything it was the opposite considering the reception to songs like Future. She should’ve learned from Kylie’s Golden era, she definitely has the material to cater to her audience but she ignores it and releases Future and Crave mellow.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post 15th June 2019, 06:16 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

^ i agree

Many people would have lost interest I think

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th June 2019, 06:34 PM
Post #12
Group icon

I suppose so! I do miss traditional 1 single, 2 single album release strategies.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 15th June 2019, 06:53 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

I think the album project has actually went just fine as there were intriguing singles but most of us are surprised how strong the album is which builds the hype even more now that the album is out and people can listen the whole thing after hearing/reading positive things about it.

This post has been edited by SKOB: 15th June 2019, 06:53 PM

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post 15th June 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(vibe @ Jun 15 2019, 07:16 PM) *
^ i agree

Many people would have lost interest I think

I doubt it. The promo singles attracted very little interest and it just decreased with every release. I guess if setting expectations as low as possible was the plan then it worked!

+Quote this post
vibe
post 15th June 2019, 07:55 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

What are you talking about ?

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post 15th June 2019, 08:12 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(vibe @ Jun 15 2019, 08:55 PM) *
What are you talking about ?

“Many people would have lost interest” wasn’t a reply to me? huh.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 15th June 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

It’s an odd one tbh

If she released all the best stuff before the album I don’t think the reviews for the album would have been as strong as the critics would’ve been like you’ve already heard the best stuff from the album type thing.

It’s bizarre the Anitta feature was the only one not to be released! (Well Bitch I’m Loca too but there’s two Maluma tracks on there).

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: 15th June 2019, 08:34 PM

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post 15th June 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Jun 15 2019, 09:30 PM) *
It’s an odd one tbh

If she released all the best stuff before the album I don’t think the reviews for the album would have been as strong as the critics would’ve been like you’ve already heard the best stuff from the album type thing.

It’s bizarre the Anitta feature was the only one not to be released! (Well Bitch I’m Loca too but there’s two Maluma tracks on there).

Yeah that’s the thing, I feel like Faz Gostoso has completely gone to waste, if it had the hype and coverage Medellín had gotten who knows it might have at least charted higher than #87 lol

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 18th June 2019, 01:45 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I can't really argue with the pre-album releases because I feel like one of their main purposes was to lift streaming for the album, which I feel they probably have done (perhaps not to the heights of other artists but good by Madonna's standards). I also agree with Jordan that I'm happy most of the highlights were left to be heard upon album release. That said, 'Faz Gostoso' has proven to be really popular on streaming so perhaps that should have been one of the pre-release songs.

I agree that 'God Control' would have been absolutely perfect for Eurovision, although I imagine whatever Madonna's plans would have been for a performance would have had difficulty getting approval from the show's organisers. I think releasing the video sometime on last Friday, off the back of all the hype from people listening to it on the album for the first time, would have been huge. Hopefully it comes very soon! Maybe another sneak peak on Jimmy Fallon this Thursday and released the next day?

+Quote this post
vibe
post 18th June 2019, 02:08 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

She needs to get it there and perform these tracks.
Two weekends until pride I wonder how many songs she will do ?

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 06:55 AM