BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Movie Forum RANKDOWN, Who wants in? Explanation inside.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
diva thin muffin
post Feb 5 2021, 11:57 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837
Movie Forum RANKDOWN: An Experience

I'm feeling a bit antsy and have the urge to do something unproductive yet fun so I wanted to present this idea to the lot of you. The premise of a RANKDOWN is simple. A number of posters (no more than 10) take on the project of collectively ranking down their Top (x) of items. In a randomised order the players alternate as being the nominator and the eliminators. The nominator nominates two items out of the possible lot for each player excluding themselves. (So for 9 other players they would nominate 18 items) and the eliminators each get the chance to eliminate one item and save one item. For the eliminators it's first come first serve.

When you eliminate you must write a few words (~100 words or so but you're more than free to write more) about why you're eliminating said item but you don't have to say anything about the item you're saving unless you want to. You can only eliminate and save out of the group of items the nominator chose and once an item has been saved or eliminated you can't do anything about it. However, at predetermined places in the competition (depending on the number of items we're ranking) each player will be able to bring back an eliminated item which will be immune for one round.

Nominators can not nominate the same items twice in a row. This means the same nominator can not nominate one item twice in a row but two different nominators can nominate the same item in a row.

Once we reach the Top 20 the rankdown stops and everyone rates the movies out of 0-10 with the movie with the highest rating winning. People who are not part of the rankdown are allowed to vote here while in other parts of the rankdown it's only for those who sign up (max 10 players).

For the first rankdown I thought it could be fun to go over the 200 best movies of 2010. I'll start by taking the Top 100 movies of the year by worldwide sales and then we can collectively add & nominate 100 more to that group to account for the low selling masterpieces and such. Then we can do this for each year 2010-2019 and finally do one with the Top 20 movies of each year.

(Copy & Paste this and add your name if you want to participate, hoping to get 10 people but will settle for minimum 4-5 players)

Sign-up sheet (Top 200 Movies of 2010):

It may sound complicated but it's actually quite simple and lots of fun and serves like a personal ranking but with numerous players so that it doesn't take as long as each player doesn't have to rank the whole lot but also with lots of excitement as one player can't control everything.

This may be somewhat time consuming but everyone will be given approx. 48-72 hours to participate in every round (we'll see how smoothly the first rounds go) and you don't have to do much every round so it's not that much of a commitment. You just have to be interested and willing to have fun. You're by no means expected to have seen all of the movies on the list and you're more than welcome to eliminate a movie because you haven't seen it but you are allowed to use any reason you can think of to eliminate any movie you want. There is no criteria here.

This post has been edited by diva thin muffin: Feb 5 2021, 12:02 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Feb 5 2021, 12:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
1. diva thin muffin

This post has been edited by diva thin muffin: Feb 5 2021, 12:02 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 5 2021, 12:07 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Sounds verrrry confusing lmao but I feel like it's more confusing than it actually is, so I'll sign up and hopefully be able to get into the gist of things! laugh.gif

1. diva thin muffin
2. Tafty

Exciting!

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Feb 5 2021, 12:09 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Tafty @ Feb 5 2021, 12:07 PM) *
Sounds verrrry confusing lmao but I feel like it's more confusing than it actually is, so I'll sign up and hopefully be able to get into the gist of things! laugh.gif

Yes I may just be sh*t at explaining this but it's honestly very confusing and you'll be very quick to get the hang of it I promise!

A somewhat simpler explanation:
* A nomination order of rankers is randomly decided (via random.org)
* One ranker nominates movies they want out (two movies per ranker excluding themselves)
* Each other ranker cuts one movie with a write-up, should be around 100 words but I won't be too harsh here as long as it isn't just "this movie sucks" or "i don't know this movie". Then they save one movie too.
* Once every ranker has cut and saved one movie the next ranker nominates. This continues until we reach the top 20.
* In the top 20 we enter a fun grand final where every ranker PLUS the public rates the movies from 0 to 10. The top movie wins!
* You can put placeholders when you cut/save (eg. "I cut movie X and save movie Y") but you must do the write-up within an hour after posting that in a separate post.
* You can not nominate the same movies twice in a row.

This post has been edited by diva thin muffin: Feb 5 2021, 12:23 PM

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Feb 5 2021, 03:02 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I hope the perceived complexity of this isn't scaring you all away!

+Quote this post
JackJones
post Feb 7 2021, 02:00 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 15
I would be so in if the theme would be like all time slasher films or Italian giallo but for some reason I didn't watch that many movies 2010 so I gotta skip this one. But I will be all in in the future editions, especially anything horror related.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:34 AM