BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Like A Virgin' • album discussion, 2nd album | 1984
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Bjork
post 7th January 2021, 06:51 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

wow some of you guys are very mean to this album. It's not a great album cos like most Madonna early albums has amazing singles + the album tracks are really filler and not that great but the singles are all amazing, especially Into the Groove, personally Madonna's best song ever
but Dress You Up is fantastic too and I love Material Girl and Like a Virgin, both incredible iconic singles
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 7th January 2021, 11:49 AM
Post #22
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Count me in the mean camp on this one, it's just not a very good album. The singles are okay but very much of their time and not ones that I'd choose to listen to very often. The album tracks are among her worst in my opinion, it's the worst kind of pop album where the singles draw you in to buy it but there's very little of quality outside of them.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 7th January 2021, 04:23 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

but I think that except Like a Prayer, you can say the same for most Madonna albums, ie album tracks being filler

maybe I'm biased cos Like a Virgin is the 1st Madonna album I got and when I discovered Madonna as a kid, so maybe I see it with different eyes

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 20th January 2021, 06:15 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

NJG Studio have been teasing some Madonna photoshoots, shot in Tokyo in January 1985, on their instagram page. They're set to be available in a 200 page book titled 'Adore' that features 318 previously unseen photos!

+Quote this post
vibe
post 20th January 2021, 06:20 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

amazing pics

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 20th January 2021, 08:53 PM
Post #26
Group icon
User: 13,007

WOW! Love those images. wub.gif Can't wait to see more!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st January 2021, 12:17 PM
Post #27
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Here is my review for 'Like A Virgin':

Material Girl
A great way to open the album with this iconic number that's catchy and infectious satire on materialism, with Madonna establishing herself as a Marilyn Monroe-esque figure & lyrically framing herself as a calculating woman, using men for well material things. The satire may be lost on some people, but its a fascinating song to be included in Madonna's catalogue as she'd totally and very loudly reject the idea of materialism later in her career. Other than all this, its a brilliant song & one of the finest pop songs she's ever recorded.

Angel
Sugary, sweet & full of glittery synths, this is a really nice bubblegum pop song that often gets ignored when compared to the other mammoth singles from this album & yeah I can kinda see why it does fall a little short. However on this album it is a firm standout thanks to its fun melodies & convincing vocals.

Like A Virgin
The title track & the very first glimpse of not only Madonna's controversial side, but would play a huge part into her becoming a global superstar, & would help pave for future female singers to unapologetically explore their sexual sides. As for the song itself its fantastic, excellently written and structured, thanks to those glorious hooks & Madonna's intense vocal delivery that really helps sell the message of the song that still holds up even to this day. Although I will say that having this & track 1 so early on they both overshadow the rest of the album.

Over And Over
Another strong number with some throbbing pop synths on this motivational anthem with catchy verses that builds & builds before bursting into a fast paced chorus, thanks to its diverse & colourful production that really makes this whole thing explode.

Love Don't Live Here Anymore
This is probably Madonna's first ballad & she tackles it really well & demonstrates that while her vocal abilities may have been limited at this time, she could really show some true range & bring some real authenticity to this Rose Royce cover. Thanks to some fantastic string arrangements and towering, rhythmic drums, its by far the most soulful offering on this album.

Into The Groove
I know this wasn't included on the original version of this album, but its a more than welcomed addition, thanks to not only it being a huge chart smash, but being an epic 80's dance pop song, thanks to those infectious verses & a killer chorus. Of course those grinding synths helps really capture the magic of the 80's. A firm highlight in Madonna's discography & an all-time classic.

Dress You Up
Another firm highlight with this groovy drum based dance track that completely captures her in the process of becoming a sex-positive icon, thanks to its sleek production & Madonna's fiery vocal delivery as the track progresses to that spectacular guitar solo played by Nile Rodgers. A banging tune, one of the very best this album has to offer.

Shoo-Bee-Doo
Never been keen on this track, but do like Madonna displaying some raw, tender emotion & the stripped down piano ballad opening is nice as-well. Just a shame all that's wasted on such a silly title. This was where the quality begins to dip

Pretender
The last third of this album is really lacking with this forgettable synth pop filler that is somewhat helped by Madonna bringing her personality into it, but the chorus could have done with some more work & feels like its just there to pad out the tracklisting.

Stay
This is an okay song, but certainly not something to end the album with. Although I do like the dramatic production & the angsty charm, however the hook in the chorus is not strong enough to make up for those weak lyrics, a definite album filler moment if I ever heard one.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st January 2021, 04:59 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The last 3 tracks certainly weaken this album.

ITG was certainly a bonus addition.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 23rd January 2021, 01:16 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

The pitching up of Madonna's vocals on 'Material Girl' and 'Like a Virgin' lose them a point for me. I know some of the songs on her debut were the same, like 'Borderline', but it doesn't seem to bother me as much as it does with these two tracks. If you listen to pitch-corrected versions, they sound much more pleasant whilst still having that girlish quality.

Unpopular opinions: I don't understand why 'Shoo-Bee-Doo' is so hated and I don't find 'Over and Over' particularly great like others do.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 23rd January 2021, 03:04 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Over and Over on the virgin tour is a 10 !

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 23rd January 2021, 06:25 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Yes!! 'Material Girl' was one of the videos I was most wanting to be released in HD. An iconic video and the pink is going to pop out the screen. *.*

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 24th January 2021, 04:20 PM
Post #32
Group icon

Oh that's going to be a visual FEAST! Can't wait cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 25th January 2021, 03:35 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Jan 20 2021, 06:15 PM) *
NJG Studio have been teasing some Madonna photoshoots, shot in Tokyo in January 1985, on their instagram page. They're set to be available in a 200 page book titled 'Adore' that features 318 previously unseen photos!

Some more photos here: https://www.dazeddigital.com/art-photograph...i-wakasugi-1985

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 25th January 2021, 06:26 PM
Post #34
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

My rate : S (Masterpiece)

Top 5 songs :
1. Material Girl
2. Like A Virgin
3. Dress You Up
4. Angel
5. Love Don't Live Here Anymore

Best Madonna album and true pure pop classic. It's very rare time, when I totally agree with singles selection.

Four singles were # 1s in my retrospective chart :
- Like A Virgin (7 weeks at # 1) (Best single of 1984)
- Material Girl (7 weeks at # 1) (Best single of 1985 and her best song) heart.gif
- Angel (3 weeks at # 1)
- Dress You Up (5 weeks at # 1)

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 28th January 2021, 09:41 AM

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th January 2021, 05:52 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

HD video for 'Material Girl' is up. It's... terrible.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th January 2021, 11:18 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Actually it’s better on second watch, it’s mainly the beginning that’s bad and some dodgy bits throughout. It’s not what I’d call HD but the colour is a lot better.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 28th January 2021, 06:57 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

doesnt look too different to me .

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 29th January 2021, 10:30 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

My favourite Madonna album by far.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 31st January 2021, 11:58 AM
Post #39
Group icon

QUOTE(common sense @ Jan 29 2021, 10:30 PM) *

Gaga.png

You have said some wild things over the years on Buzzjack but this just might be the wildest kink.gif

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 1st February 2021, 08:51 PM
Post #40
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

QUOTE(common sense @ Jan 30 2021, 01:30 AM) *

ohmy.gif
So I'm not alone. smile.gif