BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Touring Cabaret Reviews (2013.), all the latest reviews from the touring of Cabaret
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
truly talented
post 30th August 2013, 06:51 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 140

Thanks to Janet for these superb reviews.

WIMBLEDON

Telegraph

Cabaret, at New Wimbledon Theatre
Rufus Norris's touring production of Cabaret, first seen in the West End last year, is right up there with the Liza Minnelli film version, says Charles Spencer.
4 out of 5 stars
Revelatory : Will Young reprises his role as the Emcee in 'Cabaret'

By Charles Spencer

12:01AM BST 30 Aug 2013

Comments1 Comment

I have heard whispers that Rufus Norris could be a strong contender to replace Nicholas Hytner as director of the National Theatre, and his superb recent production of The Amen Corner in the Olivier won’t have done his cause any harm at all.

Those looking for further evidence of his talent should beat a path to his production of Cabaret, which opened in the West End last year and seems even stronger in this touring version that has been substantially recast.

For those of us who saw the film at an impressionable age, memories of Liza Minnelli as Sally Bowles and Joel Grey as the Emcee will always burn brightly. And perhaps the biggest compliment I can pay this staging is that on this occasion I didn’t miss them at all.

Will Young, who won Pop Idol and in the decade since then has clocked up sales of more than nine million records, gives a superb high-definition performance as the Emcee, in which camp wit and a louche sexuality (he sports a most unsettling pair of tight leather shorts) gradually gives way to something much darker.

His face is mask-like, and in an astonishing sequence it is he who sings the beautiful and deeply unsettling Tomorrow Belongs to Me, standing on a platform like a demented puppet-master with the Kit Kat Club performers dancing to his tune on strings. The dividing line between divine decadence and deep moral evil has rarely seemed so thin, and the Nazi menace becomes almost stifling in this production, not least in a brilliantly bold and chilling coup de theatre at the end.
Related Articles

As well as Young’s revelatory performance, there is a superb turn from Siobhan Dillon as Sally Bowles, who also emerged from a TV talent show (she came third in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria?). She has a real gift for slowly building a number from a heart-wrenchingly fragile start to surging vocal and emotional power at the end, and beautifully captures Sally Bowles’s mixed up vulnerability, both as a performer and as a woman.

You really believe this Sally is a confused little girl lost from London, which is not something you could say of Minnelli’s powerhouse turn. And the edge of desperation she brings to Maybe This Time sends shivers down the spine.

There are a host of strong supporting turns. Matt Rawle is delightfully sympathetic as the bisexual American writer who falls for Sally, while Linal Haft and Lyn Paul are deeply touching as the ageing lovers driven apart by Nazism. Look out too for Valerie Cutko, commanding and increasingly malign as the Berlin prostitute whose fortunes rise with Hitler’s.

Meanwhile the superb Kit Kat dancers decked out in black lingerie - and I’m not just referring to the girls - get maximum value from Javier de Frutos’s exceptionally fruity and inventive choreography, which deserves an X certificate when it come to the vertical expression of horizontal desires.

I dread to think what they will make of it when the show hits the old dears in Eastbourne.

At Wimbledon Theatre until Aug 31, then touring nationally until Nov 30; kenwright.com

SoSoGay

Review: Cabaret (New Wimbledon Theatre and UK Tour)

Posted by: James M in Stage 30 August 2013
Review: Cabaret (New Wimbledon Theatre and UK Tour)

Put down the knitting, the book and the broom, the tour of Cabaret kicks off fresh from a West End revival, with star Will Young in tow. We loved it. Lots.

Rating: *****

Venue: New Wimbledon Theatre.

Running Time: Two hours and 30 minutes, including interval.

Director: Rufus Norris.

Overview: An unmissable revival that boasts incredibly creative and spellbinding choreography plus star turns from Will Young and Siobhan Dillon.

A painted doll-like Will Young is a revelation as the Emcee.

We somehow managed to miss Cabaret when it played at the Savoy Theatre at the end of last year, something which we kicked ourselves for mainly as we skipped the chance to see Will Young do his thing on stage. So, as soon as we heard a national tour was on the cards and the first boy of reality TV pop had signed up, we couldn’t race to Wimbledon quick enough.

Cabaret, as a musical, is something so incredibly special, as it goes from dementedly light and chaotic to brutally traumatic in just the space of a few hours. Its unexpected twists and turns make it a feast for not only the eyes but the mind too, as the tragic slaughter of the Jews during Hitler’s regime is played out in a lively, gloriously accepting and bustling Berlin.

We follow Clifford (Matt Rawle) as he arrives from America seeking excitement and a place to begin writing his new novel. He meets the troublesome and enigmatic Sally Bowles (Siobhan Dillon) at the Kit Kat Club and a blossoming romantic friendship begins. The action is moved along by ditties from the Emcee (Will Young) and his ensemble troupe of gorgeous dancers who plant us straight in the middle of this crumbling society.

This production is completely first class from start to finish. Set, costumes and lighting are all used so cleverly in such an ever-changing story that’s it’s difficult to conceive that this show only opened in this theatre yesterday. Seamless changes and ambitious choreography kept the pace and adrenalin levels high, leaving the audience on silent tenterhooks when the action took a dramatic turn. And speaking of Javier De Frutos’ choreography, it’s some of the most inventive and delicious we’ve ever seen. Full of rough sexual connotations and danced with such a seedy ferocity by the entire cast, it’s visually stunning. The huge company numbers are so courageously layered, it’s almost a wonder to take it all in at once, in particular the stylistic and acrobatic ‘Mein Herr’ and the completely inspired puppetry take on ‘Tomorrow Belongs To Me’.
Siobhan Dillon's subtle acting and beautiful vocals mark her out as a worthwhile star.

Siobhan Dillon’s subtle acting and beautiful vocals mark her out as a worthy star.

Will Young has heaps of fun as the mischievous and slightly deranged Emcee, drawing attention for all the right reasons whenever he appeared on stage. His mixture of dark comedy and more sombre moments were played with exactly the right amount of style, whilst his unusual and instantly recognisable voice lends itself perfectly to the Emcee’s eclectic numbers. The melancholy ‘I Don’t Care Much’ and the outrageous ‘The Money Song’ – complete with actual dribble – just show how Young can turn his hand to any thing and any style. It’s clear why he received an Olivier nomination for Best Actor.

Siobhan Dillon as the iconic Sally Bowles confused us throughout the show, mainly because we couldn’t make our minds up about her portrayal from the beginning. However, by the end, we had firmly decided that she was utterly brilliant in every way. Her subtle yet strong and emotive acting continued to grow throughout the show, leading to a show-stopping and heartbreaking take on the title song ‘Cabaret’ that left us covered in goosebumps. Dillon’s pure-sounding vocals soared through the auditorium, bringing a gorgeous tone to our ears. An understated triumphant performance. Linal Haft also gives an endearing and adorable turn as Herr Schultz, whilst Valerie Cutko oozes passionate glamour from every pore as Fräulein Kost.

The story of Jewish persecution in Nazi Germany is still incredibly difficult to understand and watch even eighty years on, and this production of Cabaret handles it in such a sensitive manner, while still managing to send shockwaves through the auditorium. The chilling finale is given the grace that it needs, yet doesn’t manage to send the audience into a complete emotional breakdown, shown by the almost immediate standing ovation as the curtain fell.

An unmissable production of one of the most underrated musicals of all time. Plus, you get to see Will Young’s bum. Don’t tell us that’s bringing the tone down – we know you want it.

Cabaret plays at the New Wimbledon Theatre until 31 August before embarking on a national tour ending in Peterborough on 7 December 2013.

Thanks to Anne.

http://www.westendframe.com/2013/08/rev ... Ktour.html

Cabaret (UK Tour)
New Wimbledon Theatre
Reviewed on Thursday 29th August 2013

First performed on Broadway in 1966, Cabaret has become one of the most iconic pieces of musical theatre of all time. Last year the musical received a West End revival at the Savoy Theatre and now the production is once again embarking on a UK Tour. Cabaret is set in 1931 Berlin as the Nazis are rising to power, the show focuses on nightlife at the seedy Kit Kat Klub and revolves around the 19-year-old English cabaret performer Sally Bowles and her relationship with the young American writer Cliff Bradshaw.

Fresh from the West End, Will Young once again leads the cast as the Emcee. His performance remains utterly mesmerising and is not to be missed. Will simply understands the complexity of the character and is funny, warm and moving when required. He bounces off the audience well and demonstrates fantastic comic timing.

Siobhan Dillon has re-joined the cast as Sally Bowles, having previously played the role during the musical's 2009 UK tour. It is her performance which takes this touring production to a whole new level. Last year I saw Cabaret in the West End and for me the show was completely ruined by Michelle Ryan's half-hearted, sloppy performance. It was embarrassing to watch her throw away the show's most iconic musical numbers such as Maybe This Time, Mein Herr and Cabaret. She quite clearly found herself out of her depth, whereas Siobhan Dillon is clearly at home on-stage playing Sally Bowles. She has the most incredible stage presence, owning every single scene. Her rendition of Maybe This Time was a personal highlight, she didn't just effortlessly sing the song, she lived every single word and drew in the entire audience. Both the Emcee and Sally are fascinating roles which Will Young and Siobhan Dillon were clearly born to play.

Lyn Paul and Linal Haft also give strong performances as Fräulein Schneider and Herr Schultz. The musical's sub-plot follows the two elderly characters as they fall in love. However, the political situation in Berlin causes trouble for the pair, providing many heart-warming and heartbreaking moments. Matt Rawle also shines as Cliff Bradshaw, it was a shame that a few sound issues distracted from his intense performance during the show's final scenes.

Javier De Frutos' choreography is perfect. The ensemble (often dressed in minimal clothing) do not hold back one tiny bit and make quite an impression from the second they walk on-stage. The band are neatly tucked away at the back of the theatre, in fact I would love to have seen more of them.

There is no other musical as quirky as Cabaret. One minute it's very serious and the next the cast perform a comedy number from inside a bed - it really does explore human emotion and is very unpredictable. The snappy nature of the piece leaves no time for boredom. Sometimes sets can be scaled down for touring productions, but Katrina Lindsay's design looks just as grand on tour.

While there is plenty of fun to be had, Cabaret is also an extremely powerful piece of theatre which makes many strong political points. The show leaves you with plenty to think about, therefore it is no surprise that West End Frame readers voted Cabaret the 'Most Inspiring West End Show' last year as part of the 2012 West End Frame Awards. If this touring production is visiting a theatre near you there is no way you can miss it. Expect lots of nudity, arrive open minded and allow yourself to be taken on every step of the show's incredible journey.
Will Young in the touring production of Cabaret at the New WImbledon Theatre. Picture: Roy Tan
Cabaret was reviewed at the New Wimbledon Theatre, London before continuing on tour.

Never mind what those ‘Best Musicals of All Time’ polls say, John Kander and Fred Ebb’s hilarious, poignant and, yes, frankly shocking interpretation of Christopher Isherwood’s autobigraphical novel is one of the greatest ever written, some would say THE greatest, and now audiences around the country will have the chance to enjoy what many saw in the West End last autumn.

A 13-centre tour of this decadent tale of Weimar Berlin in the early 1930s kicked off in Wimbledon to a full standing ovation – and deservedly so.

Will Young has come a long way since looking totally out of place in Mrs Henderson Presents and The Vortex, and in the uber-camp Emcee role that the actor/singer was surely born to play, he is simply stupendous.

Anyone who says that the original Emcee Joel Grey set the bar so high that nobody could follow must think again: Gray was wonderful, Young is wonderful, better perhaps at the funny bits – the romp in a bed with various members of both sexes is terrific – and it is good to see him carrying on and carrying the show, from West End to Wolverhampton, where the tour winds up at the end of November.

Unlike the eight-time Oscar-winning movie in which a blond young vision of Germany’s Hitler Youth movement sings the scary ‘Tomorrow Belongs to Me’, the job of bringing Act I to a menacing end is left to Young in director Rufus Norris’ version and it is most effective.

Although we see a whole huddle of naked bodies in the mind-boggling climax to the production, the current Cabaret is toned down a tad from Norris’ 2006 version in which that fine actress Anna Maxwell Martin played Sally Bowles. Martin was just right because she played the role as an average singer, which is what Isherwood intended, working for buttons in a seedy Berlin nightclub.

Hollywood tossed all that aside in encouraging Liza Minnelli to give a top-of-the-range vocal performance, which of course won her an Oscar, but the film wasn’t what Kander and Ebb had in mind. For a start, in the movie there was no Herr Schultz (Linal Haft, perfectly both Jewish and German, even improving on his West End performance), nor the poignant love affair between his lovestruck old shopkeeper and the wistful landlady Fraulein Schneider which is the key second element to the relationship between bisexual Clifford Bradshaw (Matt Rawle still in the part, still excellent) and the OTT Sally.

Here Siobhan Dillon, a finalist in the BBC talent search How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? back in 2006, takes over from Michelle Ryan and is a distinct improvement on the former EastEnders actress. Not that Ryan was bad, but Dillon is more animated and outrageous. She can certainly sing up a storm, as she demonstrated in Grease, Legally Blonde and Ghost the Musical, but she cleverly manages to give the impression of a girl not good enough to go further than she has done, certainly not to cabaret stardom.

Valerie Cutko as Fraulein Kost, the sailors’ go-to lady-of-the-night when their ship comes in, almost steals the show. She acts it brilliantly and sings well. The programme says she has played the part in the West End, but this was the first time I had seen her taking it on, and she is a revelation.

Nicholas Tizzard solidly reprises the role of Ernst Ludwig, the Nazi sympathiser who wheedles his way into Bradshaw’s life and, when crossed, has him beaten up, but former New Seekers star Lyn Paul is a disappointing Fraulein Schneider, with an undercooked German accent and needing to up her game, which she hopefully can do as the run rolls on.

Paul makes nothing of ‘So What?’, that painfully moving song of longing and regret, and is as yet a fair way behind recent Schneiders in Sheila Hancock and Sian Phillips.

I loved this Cabaret under Javier De Frutos’ inspired choreography when I saw it in London last year and, if anything, I like it even more now. Like West Side Story, it is a timeless and relevant reminder of the racial hatred which starts wars whether they be gangland battles in Manhattan or global conflicts like the Second World War.

http://musicaltheatrereview.com/cabaret-wi...g/#.UiCIzcu9KSM

I'm seeing West Side Story too at the beginning of October at my local theatre. biggrin.gif

Back stage pass

Cabaret has always been an odd one for me, as I have never seen it on stage or screen, yet I know all the songs from the show instantly!

If, like me, you haven't a clue what this show is about, let me enlighten you - As the Nazis begin their rise to power in Germany in the late 1920s, American writer Clifford Bradshaw visits Berlin. After making a few friends and finding housing, Clifford visits the sleazy Kit Kat Club and meets an English singer, Sally Bowles. The writer and singer soon fall in love. Meanwhile, Clifford's elderly landlord, Fraulein Schneider, gets engaged to a Jewish greengrocer, Herr Schultz – not an easy decision given the increasing influence of the Nazis. Soon, Clifford discovers that he has been inadvertently helping the Nazis by delivering packages to Paris for a German friend of his, Ernst Ludwig. Clifford ends up deciding to return to the United States but Sally, after aborting their baby, decides to remain in Berlin.

Will Young as Emcee
Photo by Keith Pattison

So that's the gist of it, throw in some fantastic songs, powerful performances and you have the recipe for success, and this production holds no bounds. All of the ensemble are very strong and have great voices that go with the slick arrangements. the choreography from Javier de Frutos is very good indeed, especially in the way that staircases are involved!

Siobhan Dillon gives a mesmerising performance as Sally Bowles throughout, and with a spine-tingling rendition of 'Maybe This Time', Siobhan shows control of her vocals magnificently. Lyn Paul and Linal Haft as Fraulein Schneider and Herr Schultz respectively, also give fine performances, especially with the appearance of the pineapple in 'It Couldn't Please Me More'.

Star of the show though is Will Young as Emcee, delightfully charming and funny, he has good rapport with the audience and his comic timing is spot on - watch his face in 'Two Ladies' and you will see what I mean - a crowd pleaser if ever there was one.

Top all this off with a great touring set, a tight band, lovely lighting and sound and you have a winning formula on stage.
Life is a Cabaret old chum... and it certainly is worth going to this Cabaret if you want to see a fabulous musical on stage.

Five stars ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Theatre-Re ... tre-review

Although Cliff and Sally are ostensibly the principal characters, the MC of the club is really the dominant character and he is played by Will Young (an erstwhile pop singer) in a performance that can only be describe as incredible. He oozes decadence and disgust, selling his numbers with winks and leers that in any other performer would be described as camp but in Mr Young’s hands they are evil and menacing.

As the evening progresses his mask begins to drop and a more human aspect takes over, equally unpleasant but convincing until at the end he joins his compatriots from the club in the gas chamber with a gesture of togetherness that is deeply moving.

This is the most striking and shattering performance of the part I have seen, not discounting Joel Grey and Wayne Sleep both of who were pretty awesome. Mr Young, however, surpasses both of them in his performance and carries the show like a seasoned trouper and I doubt whether we shall ever see the part played as well again

BestDaily Reviews: Cabaret

Friday, Aug 30 2013 WRITTEN BY Hannah Summersfield

Will Young proves he belongs on the stage in this decadent musical

caberet

© Target Live
After huge success in the West End the cast of Cabaret has set out on a tour of the UK.

The musical is set in pre-war Berlin and follows American novelist Clifford Bradshaw as he arrives in the city and is instantly thrust into the party lifestyle. Cliff meets a number of exciting characters including cabaret performer Sally Bowles and the mysterious Ernst Ludwig.

Former talent show contestant Will Young has wonderful stage presence as Emcee, evoking plenty of laughter from the audience with his portrayal of the KitKat club's cheeky master of ceremonies.

The star showed just why he has been such a successful solo artist as his voice was incredible. Will hit a range of notes and at times there was even a choral tone to his voice. Truly an artist who must be seen live.

caberet

© Target Live

Will Young as the hilarious Emcee.

The stand out performance of the night came from Siobhan Dillon who plays Sally Bowles. She gave us goose bumps when she sang 'Maybe This Time' and perfectly captured the whimsical Sally.

All the cast must be commended for their strong performances. They looked like they were having a brilliant time and, despite their highly physical dance routines, their voices never faltered. At times it was almost as if a separate choir were singing back stage.

The costumes were fabulous as the cast sparkled in sequinned corsets and tight leather hot pants. And the fun on stage spilled over into the audience as everyone left the theatre with smiles on their faces

by Admin on Friday, 30 August, 2013 in Onstage, Review

Will Young in the touring production of Cabaret at the New WImbledon Theatre. Picture: Roy Tan
Cabaret was reviewed at the New Wimbledon Theatre, London before continuing on tour.

Never mind what those ‘Best Musicals of All Time’ polls say, John Kander and Fred Ebb’s hilarious, poignant and, yes, frankly shocking interpretation of Christopher Isherwood’s autobigraphical novel is one of the greatest ever written, some would say THE greatest, and now audiences around the country will have the chance to enjoy what many saw in the West End last autumn.

A 13-centre tour of this decadent tale of Weimar Berlin in the early 1930s kicked off in Wimbledon to a full standing ovation – and deservedly so.

Will Young has come a long way since looking totally out of place in Mrs Henderson Presents and The Vortex, and in the uber-camp Emcee role that the actor/singer was surely born to play, he is simply stupendous.

Anyone who says that the original Emcee Joel Grey set the bar so high that nobody could follow must think again: Gray was wonderful, Young is wonderful, better perhaps at the funny bits – the romp in a bed with various members of both sexes is terrific – and it is good to see him carrying on and carrying the show, from West End to Wolverhampton, where the tour winds up at the end of November.

Unlike the eight-time Oscar-winning movie in which a blond young vision of Germany’s Hitler Youth movement sings the scary ‘Tomorrow Belongs to Me’, the job of bringing Act I to a menacing end is left to Young in director Rufus Norris’ version and it is most effective.

Although we see a whole huddle of naked bodies in the mind-boggling climax to the production, the current Cabaret is toned down a tad from Norris’ 2006 version in which that fine actress Anna Maxwell Martin played Sally Bowles. Martin was just right because she played the role as an average singer, which is what Isherwood intended, working for buttons in a seedy Berlin nightclub.

Hollywood tossed all that aside in encouraging Liza Minnelli to give a top-of-the-range vocal performance, which of course won her an Oscar, but the film wasn’t what Kander and Ebb had in mind. For a start, in the movie there was no Herr Schultz (Linal Haft, perfectly both Jewish and German, even improving on his West End performance), nor the poignant love affair between his lovestruck old shopkeeper and the wistful landlady Fraulein Schneider which is the key second element to the relationship between bisexual Clifford Bradshaw (Matt Rawle still in the part, still excellent) and the OTT Sally.

Here Siobhan Dillon, a finalist in the BBC talent search How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? back in 2006, takes over from Michelle Ryan and is a distinct improvement on the former EastEnders actress. Not that Ryan was bad, but Dillon is more animated and outrageous. She can certainly sing up a storm, as she demonstrated in Grease, Legally Blonde and Ghost the Musical, but she cleverly manages to give the impression of a girl not good enough to go further than she has done, certainly not to cabaret stardom.

Valerie Cutko as Fraulein Kost, the sailors’ go-to lady-of-the-night when their ship comes in, almost steals the show. She acts it brilliantly and sings well. The programme says she has played the part in the West End, but this was the first time I had seen her taking it on, and she is a revelation.

Nicholas Tizzard solidly reprises the role of Ernst Ludwig, the Nazi sympathiser who wheedles his way into Bradshaw’s life and, when crossed, has him beaten up, but former New Seekers star Lyn Paul is a disappointing Fraulein Schneider, with an undercooked German accent and needing to up her game, which she hopefully can do as the run rolls on.

Paul makes nothing of ‘So What?’, that painfully moving song of longing and regret, and is as yet a fair way behind recent Schneiders in Sheila Hancock and Sian Phillips.

I loved this Cabaret under Javier De Frutos’ inspired choreography when I saw it in London last year and, if anything, I like it even more now. Like West Side Story, it is a timeless and relevant reminder of the racial hatred which starts wars whether they be gangland battles in Manhattan or global conflicts like the Second World War.

Jeremy Chapman

The tour of Cabaret continues:
September: Liverpool Empire (2–7), Manchester Opera House (9–14), Bristol Hippodrome (17–21), Bradford Alhambra (23–28)
October: Congress Theatre, Eastbourne (1–5), Blackpool Winter Gardens (15–19), King’s Theatre, Edinburgh (21–26), Gaiety Theatre, Dublin (29–Nov 2)
November: New Theatre, Oxford (5–9), Tunbridge Wells Assembly Hall (12–16), New Theatre, Hull (18–23), Wolverhampton Grand (26–30)

http://www.kenwright.com

Join the Conversation

https://twitter.com/musicaltheatrer/sta ... 8695160832

This post has been edited by truly talented: 3rd September 2013, 06:11 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
suggy
post 30th August 2013, 06:57 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 85

Thanks TT, biggrin.gif I may not be a fan of theatre musicals but I don't half love Will getting all this praise for his acting in his role as Emcee. yahoo.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
munchkin
post 1st September 2013, 12:38 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 127

Sunday Express 1.09.13

Mark Shenton

Cabaret

***** (five stars)

On tour, at Liverpool Empire from tomorrow.

A Thrilling Cabaret

Huge picture of Will, same one as the Telegraph but black and white.

I know London is far from the only place where theatre happens in the UK, so I try to get outside the capital as much as I can but it is also great when the best of London's theatre also gets out of town and shows the rest of the country some of its wares.

In the coming months, an unprecedented number of large-scale tours of shows like Wicked, War Horse and Singing in the Rain will be launched. Superb though as they all are, they will be hard pressed to better the revelatory production of the Sixties Broadway classic Cabaret that is also now touring.

We all think we know this show from the 1972 film with Liza Minelli's Oscar winning turn as Sally Bowles but Rufus Norris's stunning, disturbing production strips it of glamour and glitz and substitutes grit and heartache.

Kander and Ebb's musical, with its all too familiar soundtrack, suddenly pulls you towards the dark abyss its characters are hurtling towards as the rise of Nazism in Thirties Berlin is frighteningly foreshadowed.

Bold choices like relegating the song Don't Tell Mama to being staged as a backstage echo have the show haunting iteslf. Presiding over it all with a simultaneously sinsiter and playful intensity is Will Young's Emcee in a thrilling performance that sets the tone for the production.

But then everyone is absolutely invested in the production , from the athletic dancers of the chorus to Lyn Paul's beautiful, haunting turn of the survival as landlady Fraulein Schneider.

It is one of the most thrilling rediscoveries of a musical I have ever seen.

Thanks to Elaine on Baby D for typing this out. -Great reviews again cheer.gif

This post has been edited by munchkin: 1st September 2013, 12:40 PM

+Quote this post
munchkin
post 3rd September 2013, 09:33 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

LIVERPOOL

Liverpool Echo biggrin.gif
By Catherine Jones

Cabaret dazzles, but Will Young shines brightest
3 Sep 2013 08:13

The West End smash lives up to its billing
Cabaret

Its star name describes it as being on “the darker end of the spectrum”.

And with a finale foreshadowing the fate of millions of innocent victims, Cabaret is hardly nuns pilfering Nazi engine parts or Springtime for Hitler.

This production, directed by Rufus Norris, had a hit run in the West End, garnering a trio of Olivier nominations.

And on the evidence of last night, Will Young should count himself exceedingly unlucky to come up against Michael Ball’s Sweeney Todd in the best actor in a musicals category.

The former Pop Idol dazzles as brightly as the Kit Kat Club’s ‘Kabaret’ lighting in the role of its Pierrot-faced, leather short-wearing Emcee.

In fact, his performance is so mesmerising – from the minute but telling ticks and squeaks to the sublime comic timing, the serious satirical intent and glimpses of hopelessness behind the clowning – that it often outshines anything or anyone else on the same stage.

Young had so much fun in the West End that he was up for another run, this time on tour.

While some of the original cast have returned (Matt Rawle as penniless American Cliff, Nicholas Tizzard as the urbane but shadowy Ernst), there are several new faces in key roles.

Linal Haft is quietly delightful as doomed Jewish grocer Herr Schultz, embodying the combination of bemusement and unwillingness to see the impending yellow Juden writing on the wall.

Lyn Paul, replacing Sheila Hancock as landlady Fraulein Schneider and no stranger to Empire audiences, sings clearly but her character – and accent – is too pale to make an impression in a landscape of excesses.

Meanwhile Siobhan Dillon reprises the role of enfant terrible Sally Bowles she played four years ago, with strong vocals – her Cabaret a mixture of plain vulnerability and ballsy bravado, but with dialogue that needs more dramatic conviction.

It all makes for an entertaining, thought-provoking, but at times, uneven production.

Norris and his designer Katrina Lindsay offset nicely the gloom descending on early 1930s Berlin with a garishly seedy Kit Kat Club where Javier de Frutos choreographs limber, bottom-baring, chaotic chorus lines kicking up a last desperate, frenzied salvo against the ominous impending political blitzkrieg.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/th...-empire-5831294

This post has been edited by truly talented: 3rd September 2013, 06:13 PM

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 3rd September 2013, 10:53 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

They keep coming. yahoo.gif

Thanks munchkin.

Review: Will Young stars in Cabaret, Liverpool Empire theatre
by Jeanette Smith. Published Tue 03 Sep 2013 11:54, last updated: 03/09/13

Just when you think a show cannot get any better – it does. This is what happens in Cabaret presently at the Empire Theatre, Liverpool.

With lauded pop star Will Young as Emcee it is a show that will delight and shock – on many levels. We see 1930s Berlin in all its sexual decadence and poverty, with a rising Nazi party on the horizon.

It’s a live-now-die-later mentality, with girls and boys enjoying life to the full in the Kit Kat Club. Basques and suspenders are in abundance with even the men in cheeky short shorts and braces. We see men kissing men and women stroking women. There’s even a touch of nudity. It is all very sensual.

The use of moving screens, stairways and beds, ramps up the energy of this effervescent show with its brilliant choreography (Javier De Frutos) and superb music supplied by a band that sits aloft back screen and often in view. It is a pacy show with first-rate direction by Rufus Norris. However, the dark side is always with us.

We are welcomed by Emcee (Will Young) whose white-painted face pops out of the ‘O’ in WILKOMMEN spelt out large front stage. His German accent sets the tone for the show and he faux-jokes with the audience. It’s then curtain up as we re-live the permissiveness of the times and the gradual shift to the terror of the Nazis.

Young’s interpretation of Emcee is of a tragi-comic child-like figure. He has a tremendous range of facial expressions and strange voices. With a painted on face he slinks around the stage in bizarre costumes. And when he sings, his trade mark vocal tones that have ensured a meteoric career mesmerise the audience. Young completely surprises with his virtuosity, and does not, as could easily have happened, dominate the show.

Siobhan Dillon is a terrific Sally Bowles. Having come third in Lloyd-Webber’s How do you Solve a Problem Like Maria tv show, Siobhan is a lithe, bob-haired flapper figure, naive and hedonistic. She owns the stage, dancing and singing with superb feeling and verve. She totally wows in this role.

Lyn Paul, who in the early 1970s was a member of the New Seekers, is a revelation as Fraulein Schneider. As the older woman, she emits pathos and sensibility, with an entirely convincing performance as a woman alone who has a brief glimpse of love – that is doomed by the Nazi ascendance.

The change from the exuberance of life to the threat of terror comes ingeniously at the end of the first act, disturbingly portrayed with puppeteer Emcee manipulating puppet dancers on strings, whilst he holds Nazi -shaped wooden controls in each hand. The music and singing chillingly changes tone, and becomes rough and strident. When dancers pop out guns – we realise they are the Hitler Youth.

There is much humour in the production, visual and verbal, with many laugh-out-loud moments. We have Emcee in bed with two ladies in the comic song of the same name, and shadow dancing with another young woman that has a poignant ending.
There are other well known songs, such as Cabaret, Mein Herr, May be This Time, the haunting Tomorrow Belongs to Me, but it is the ending that will stay with you.
This time the nudity is not to titillate but to shock in the most terrible way with Emcee enrobing to join them. It is a sombre ending to a superb show.

CABARET
LIVERPOOL EMPIRE
WITH WILL YOUNG
***** Superlative, a must-see show

Presented by Bill Kenwright
Book Joe Masteroff
Music John Kander, Lyrics Fred Ebb
Directed by Rufus Norris

http://www.clickliverpool.com/culture/r ... baret.html

Thanks to Diz for this one.

Not so kind on the rest of the cast but brilliant again for Will.

Liverpool Daily Post ‏@DailyPostNews
Review: Will Young stars in Cabaret at the Liverpool Empire http://dlvr.it/3vSq7v

BOY, was this a play of two halves – dazzling cabaret-style musical numbers, led by Will Young as flamboyant imp Emcee, interspersed with the disappointingly drab story of penniless singer Sally Bowles and American would-be novelist Clifford Bradshaw.

Young was wonderfully weird and brilliantly funny as the most extreme embodiment of the apparent laisse-faire attitude of 1930s Berlin.

In Two Ladies, he cavorted in a enormous bed with an ever increasing cast of crazy characters who kept popping up from beneath the sheets.

In the showstopper Tomorrow Belongs To Me, he stood aloft as a powerful puppet master pulling the strings of ledenhosen-clad dancers, whose actions became more and more omnious as the first sign of Nazi Germany’s dark influence began to creep into the musical.

And in the final, devastating, scene of the show, he emerged in only a dressing gown – bare of Emcee’s clownish white make-up and ludicrous costumes – to join a row of naked death camp prisoners preparing to step into the showers.

Of course, it is a hard task for the more domestic part of Cabaret’s plot to complete with such well-choreographed, visual displays – but not an impossible one.

Sadly, the colour seemed leached from the rest of the show, which lacked the emotional intensity that would have helped these scenes hold their own.

Siobhan Dillon’s Sally was too pleasant to be convey the character’s complexity. There was no sign of the damage, of the raw vulnerability beneath her live-for-the-moment personality that makes her such a compelling role.

However, Linal Haft made a sweet Herr Schultz and his doomed romance with boarding house landlady Fraulein Schneider (Lyn Paul) was quite touching.

This production of Cabaret is definitely worth seeing for Young alone – but unfortunately that’s just as well.

Cabaret, Theatre Review. Empire Theatre, Liverpool.
Published on September 3, 2013 by admin in Theatre
Liverpool Sound and Vision Rating * * * *

Cast: Will Young, Siobhan Dillon, Lyn Paul, Matt Rawle, Linal Haft, Valerie Cutko, Nicholas Tizzard, Carly Blackburn, Emily Bull, Luke Fetherston, Simon Jaymes, Alessia Lugoboni, Callum Macdonald, Alastair Postlethwaite, Oliver Roll, Alexzandra Sarmiento, Shahla Tarrant, Cydney Uffindell-Phillips.

There are musicals that grace the stage with such spellbinding brilliance that the glitter and sheen never seems to rub off, never falters and certainly never lets the audience come away feeling anything other than wanting to dance all the way home and sing their favourite song with gladness in their heart. Then there are those that are so astonishing because they have made the crowd question everything they know about humanity and the darkness in people’s hearts and in a nation’s deeds. Perhaps it can be argued that only Cabaret manages to do both at the same time.

Set during the bitter sweet final days of the great jazz and scintillating and wonderfully decadent days of revue bars and the feeling of living life to the maximum and the horrific dark days that blighted Germany and allowed madness and insanity free reign, Cabaret had all the elements of being in the right place at the right time as the country entered the 74th anniversary of the start of dreadful days.

From the outstanding almost ghoulish start as the audience were welcomed in to the world of Sally Bowles, the spectre of Nazism was never too far away, as the dancers went from outrageously inspired routines to the military order that was starting to creep into the streets of Berlin.

In a musical that deals with the idea of decadence and so called depravity as its core theme, the final scenes frame the dark heart that was at the very core of Germany in the 1930s and 40s, the seeping festering wound that sucked more and more people in and destroyed a nation. The music, which had begun to have serious disturbing undertones as the production went along, suddenly started to have the recognisable and disturbing aspects that people associate with at that time. The party was over, the fun and frolics of a scene and which made Berlin the ideal hedonistic and in many ways equal place was now under the rule of tyranny. As Siobhan Dillon made her way through perhaps the musical’s most prestigious number, there were some in the audience who audibly gasped as they realised what they were watching, the death of a nation and the start of end of the world for many.

Cabaret may be considered just a musical by many who dismiss these things with apparent ease but despite the great numbers, including So What?, Two Ladies, Tomorrow Belongs To Me and The excellent The Money Song, and the great performances, especially by Will Young, the marvellous Linal Haft and Lyn Paul, there is one fundamental question at the very essence of the production, just who is the more seemingly depraved, immoral and down-right degenerate? Most would gladly choose to spend the evening with Sally Bowles and Emcee any day. The cast captured this question perfectly and judging by the incredibly respectful applause at the end, as perhaps those that had never seen the production before were in just a small amount of shock, the cast did their job superbly. The near reverential and thoughtful applause soon gave way to a tremendous standing ovation and justly deserved it was too.

Cabaret is the musical with a song in its heart but a very wicked sting in its tail, a sumptuous must see.

Ian D. Hall
http://www.liverpoolsoundandvision.co.uk/2...atre-liverpool/

Amazing”, “Brilliant”, “Fantastic”, the Cabaret spectators are not short of compliments for this wonderful show.

It takes place after the First World War, in Berlin. “Berlin in the 1920s represented a state of mind, a sense of freedom and exhilaration…” (Otto Friedrich, Before the Deluge)

Cabaret shows us that nothing is true except freedom, pleasure, enjoyment and spending money. At the time when it’s set, people did not know what would happen tomorrow, and they lived each day as if it was their last. Good choice, when you know what was coming.

On the stage, “Ladies and Gentlemans, Mesdames et Messieurs, Meine Damen und Herren”, Will Young plays, with real panache, Emcee. Accompanied by his partners, Siobhan Dillon (Sally Bowles), Matt Rawle (Clifford Bradshaw), Lyn Paul (Fraulein Schneider), or Linal Haft (Herr Schultz), and using moveable scenery, their dancing choreograph by Javier de Frutos, is superbly dynamic.

The show rattles along at a good pace, greatly helped by the singers’ excellent voices and the famous plot the happiness of whose first act gives way to such emotion in the second.

The band, released from the pit, is set up in alcove at the back of the stage and plays with real verve throughout.

But the most impressive element is the lighting where clever effects combine with an imaginative use of curtains to allow us to see action on two sets at once; a remarkable idea by the lighting designer Mark Howett.

So, if you want to be dazzled by costumes, music, lighting effects, singing and dancing, do not hesitate, and go see Cabaret at the Liverpool Empire Theatre.

For more information about Cabaret, please visit:
http://www.liverpoolempire.org.uk

http://666ideas.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/r...empire-theatre/

Bugsy Malone (Southampton) REVIEWS
Cabaret (Tour - Liverpool)
Janie Phillips is impressed by Will Young's Emcee in Cabaret.
By WhatsOnStage Reviewer • 3 Sep 2013 • Northwest
WOS Rating: ****
Reader Reviews: Be the first to review this show
Liverpool Empire.
Berlin in the early 1930s brought opportunities for many seeking their fame and fortune with its glitz and glamour, and for young wannabe cabaret singer Sally Bowles the pull of the limelight is just too strong.

Will Young as the Emcee in Cabaret.
©Kenwrights
Based on Christopher Isherwood's short novel "Goodbye To Berlin" (1939) - Cabaret follows the story of the Nazis rise to power and Sally's experiences performing in the Kit Kat Club and her relationship with gay American writer Cliff Bradshaw.
Taking on the role of Sally is Siobhan Dillon, perhaps best known for finishing third in Andrew Lloyd Webber's How Do You Solve A Problem like Maria? she brings plenty of energy to the role and proved herself a very capable performer.
Her rendition of "Cabaret" is one of the highlights of the show. Playing alongside Dillon, Matt Rawle does a splendid job as Clifford Bradshaw. As this is quite a wordy show (there are less then 20 songs throughout) there is not much chance to show of his voice, but he plays Bradshaw comfortably and carries his American accent strongly throughout.

What lifts this production and brings it to another level however, is the extraordinary performance from Will Young playing the mischievous, child-like character of Emcee. With his face painted white and a different bizarre costume in almost every scene, he manages to shock, amuse and dazzle the audience all at the same time.

He has some of the most complicated songs, which he sings in a strong German accent. Most of these routines are mainly humorous and very quick paced, accompanied by the incredible ensemble and with some clever choreography by Javier De Frutos, makes this show a little bit different.

Linal Haft and 70's pop star sensation Lyn Paul, make a sweet couple as Herr Schultz and Fraulein Schneider, although Paul was strong in vocals, her German accent is inconsistent throughout, overshadowed by the stronger accents around her.
With the music, costumes and set, this is a great show and really captures the atmosphere of the time.
- Janie Phillips
http://www.whatsonstage.com/liverpool-thea...pool_31816.html

Review: Cabaret, Liverpool Empire

We, the audience, were welcomed in to The Kit Kat Klub to witness a bawdy cabaret. Despite being a seedy place, a place of decadence and sexual licence with some nudity on stage, it felt oddly cosy, genuinely warm. I immediately fell under the intoxicating spell of the Master of Ceremonies, Emcee (Will Young) and felt sheltered from the violence on the streets of pre-war Germany. I felt I was really there. It was Berlin, 1931.
Based on Christopher Isherwood’s Berlin Stories, the plot is relatively simple. Set against the background of Hitler’s rise to power, Sally Bowles (Siobhan Dillon) arrives in Berlin to perform in the cabaret club. She meets an American writer, Clifford Bradshaw (Matt Rawle) and despite already having a rich admirer, Ernst Ludwig (Nicholas Tizzard), she ends up sharing a room with the young Englishman. She sleeps with both men (as well as several others) and falls pregnant. The odd relationship declines through Sally’s excesses and with the political face of Berlin rapidly changing, things go from bad to worse on every level.

Will Young comes of age as an actor in this role which might well have been written for him. The pop star’s ability to carry a good tune has never been in any doubt but in this role he shows both a fantastic vocal range and that he is now an accomplished stage actor.

From the moment he makes his entrance, poking his head through the huge letter ‘O’ of the club’s sign, Young fascinates the audience as he makes them laugh and yet feel uncomfortable at one and the same time with great dexterity. As Emcee, his performance is nothing short of a triumph as he genuinely breaks the mould of being that likeable chap who won Pop Idol all those years ago. Grotesquely caked in make-up, he is more metaphor than man and sets the sinister undertone of the play.

Forget the Oscar nominated film performance of Joel Grey as Emcee; Young more than makes the role his own and the director, with his imaginative interpretation of the script and the amazingly innovative choreography (how much more can possibly be done with a large bed and a flight of stairs on wheels!) should also take some credit for succeeding with a fresh take on a play with a theme and historical background many today might think too harrowing to re-visit.

Before seeing the performance, I expected that I would be writing this critique saying that Will Young stole the show but that is not the case, as there were stunning, show-stealing moments from all the cast – bar none.

Siobhan Dillon was perfect in the role of Sally. Lisa Minnelli, incredible singer that she was, never convinced me in the movie that she was anything more than a rising Hollywood star, whereas Dillon’s performance as the ‘It Girl’ form Chelsea was totally real. With strong vocals (she sang ‘Maybe This Time’ and revealed the character’s wounded soul.) She played her part with deftness and the light touch needed to show the cracks and the vulnerability beneath the strong exterior. Unreliable and a victim of addiction, whim and fancy, she nailed the part yet remained irrepressible, attractive and an object of desire for the men who surrounded her, particularly the bi-sexual Clifford Bradshaw.

Rawle was masterful in his delivery and fitted the character of Bradshaw perfectly with his American drawl and a really expressive and powerful singing voice. His level of energy and ability to command the stage reminded me a little of John Barrowman. To some extent, Rawle epitomised the individual, faced with difficult choices, being lost in the evening, hedonistic confusion of the club and tossed by the political turmoil of the day. He really managed to put across how individuals are torn between the heart and the head; the pursuit of pleasure and the moral conscience.

The musical numbers were very strong and the orchestration superb. The cast of highly professional dancers endowed the play with an energy and vitality usually beyond the scope of such supportive roles. As each song was delivered I thought nothing could top it but then another came along, equally impressive. If forced to make a choice, two contrasting songs stand out for me. The spine-chilling ‘Tomorrow Belongs To Me’ sung by Young which connected with the audience, as the penny finally dropped as to where the action was heading and ‘It Couldn’t Please Me More’ a duet sung by Fraulein Schneider (Lynn Paul of Eurovison Song Contest and New Seeker’s fame) and Herr Schultz (Linal Haft) a melodic love song. A special mention should also be made of ‘Two Ladies’ a hilariously funny number which had the audience in tears of laughter.

The sub-plot involving Fraulein Schneider and her Jewish suitor, Herr Schultz provided a counter balance to the main action. Both actors gave charming, faultless performances, the outcome of their doomed relationship, sadly in the hands of the evil and the ignorant, tinged their delivery with melancholy and pathos. The audience responded well to this twilight days’ romance, the couple’s richly deserved applause being almost as loud as that reserved for Young.

Bradshaw goes back to London; Fraulein Schneider rejects her Jewish suitor and Ernst Ludwig becomes a cruel, swastika wearing member of the Nazi Party. Sally continues in her addictive life of dissipation and the club become a pit of despair with the violence of the streets reaching into the club itself. The decline is complete and the world of the cabaret is dangerous and unsettled as Germany edges inexorably closer to plunging the world into total war.

Which brings me on to the final scene; it was stark, chilling and brutal and reduced many to tears. Truly chilling and harrowing in its symbolism it is a rare moment in theatre which will live with you long after the curtain has fallen but to go into detail would only serve as a spoiler. Safe to say this play leaves you in no doubt as to which way the political wind was blowing at the time. While it teaches a salutary lesson, as applicable today as it was then, as a member of the Cabaret audience you will not feel lectured at, just mightily entertained and moved in the cathartic sweep of this fabulous production. The play rightly deserved its lengthy standing ovation.

http://www.cheshire-today.co.uk/20630/revi...verpool-empire/

The Times

Sam Marlowe
Published 1 minute ago

Scintillating with jet-black glitter and by turns sizzling with sex and shivering in the encroaching shadow of Nazism, Rufus Norris’s bold reimagining of this classic Kander and Ebb musical is strutting out on tour after a West End run. The brassily insolent Kurt Weill-esque score is irresistible and the whole production combines slickness and grit, never letting its dazzle obliterate its darkness. The centre of its whirl of decadence and seedy glamour is not the kooky cabaret chanteuse Sally Bowles; instead it is the Emcee, brilliantly embodied by the pop star Will Young, who creates a creature of horrible fascination.

In his lederhosen and corset, his eyes knowing yet glassy and his mouth a sickly scarlet grin, Young is part ventriloquist’s dummy, part grotesque master manipulator who has dancers jerking and gyrating like puppets on strings. Javier De Frutos’s choreography is a thrilling departure from the angular elegance of Bob Fosse’s, so familiar from the 1972 film starring Liza Minnelli. The movement here is brutal and jagged, punctuated with punches, groin thrusts, grabs, gropes and kicks in the teeth. It’s ferociously gripping.
As Sally, Siobhan Dillon – like Young, a performer spawned by a TV talent show – is a touch over-presentational. While her voice is terrific, it sometimes feels as if she’s too busy displaying it to convey the vulnerability and pain behind the character’s determined chirpiness.
Matt Rawle gives substance to the less rewarding role of Cliff, the would-be writer and alter ego of Christopher Isherwood, on whose stories the musical is based. His transition from naive excitement and titillation to dread, as well as his erotic fascination with Sally as well as the Kit Kat Club beefcake, are all pungently expressed.
Although Lyn Paul as Cliff’s landlady Fraulein Schneider has a German accent that, when she remembers to use it, is sub ’Allo ’Allo!, her doomed romance with Jewish fruiterer Herr Schultz (Linal Haft) is heartbreaking.

Above all, though, it is Young you remember, his painted, leering face an emblem both of salacious pleasure and impending horror. Exhilarating entertainment with a lacerating edge.

This post has been edited by truly talented: 4th September 2013, 03:36 PM

+Quote this post
chrysalis
post 4th September 2013, 11:45 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeow
User: 209

Thanks for all the great reviews everyone. biggrin.gif Will certainly seems to have made them all sit up and see (and accept) his talent. dance.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 4th September 2013, 11:48 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Liverpool Live

CODE
Rufus Norris's critically acclaimed production of Cabaret came to the Liverpool Empire this week. Starring Will Young (who reprises his role as Emcee from the West End) and 'Maria' finalist Siobhan Dillon as Sally Bowles, the multi award winning musical runs until Saturday 7th Sept. Our reviewer Stephanie Harrison went along..

The only way to start this review is to say that the touring production of "Cabaret" starring Will Young as "Emcee" and Siobhan Dillon as "Sally Bowles" is the best musical I have ever seen. It was phenomenal and you must go and see it.

In many of the musicals I have seen the focus has often been on the "big name star". But I completely forgot that Will Young was in the show - which is not a criticism but a huge compliment because his performance was so dynamic and expressionate, He played "Emcee" with a subtle blend of comedy and the macabre. His vocal performance is of course brilliant but the magentism that draws your eye to him is more down to the fact that he looks like he is having a brilliant time - and therefore the audience do to!

The vocal star of the performance has to be Siobhan Dillon as "Sally Bowles" who has an effortlessly stunning voice. She brings a really nice light and shade to the show and gave me goosebumps when she sang both the title track "Cabaret" and then "Maybe This Time".

The whole musical was beautifully balanced by directer Rufus Norris who delighted us with airy, funny skits, and big bold show tunes that were seamlessly intertwined with the heart-wrenching and perfectly poignant portrayal of the treatment of Jews by the Nazis.

Part of the seamlessness of the performance is down to the way the sound, lighting and particularly Javier De Fruto's choreography were so intricately linked. The blend of all of the different elements of theatre was quite spectacular.

If you are going to see anything at the theatre this year, please make sure it is Cabaret - it is truly brilliant. Don't read the story, don't watch the film before hand, just go and you will be truly blown away. 6/5

+Quote this post
suggy
post 5th September 2013, 11:57 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 85

Thanks everyone for all the latest reviews, it just goes on and on with the rave reviews for Will and the whole cast of course. dance.gif

+Quote this post
munchkin
post 8th September 2013, 10:56 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Thanks TT. They keep coming don't they. As Julie(Will_4_Me) on Baby Devoted has said and which I totally agree with ,

"never thought he'd beat the reviews he had for The Savoy-to be honest I didn't think the nationals would cover it this time. Delighted that something he loves should get such critical acclaim."

So pleased for him. wub.gif

This post has been edited by munchkin: 8th September 2013, 11:05 AM

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 8th September 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

They do munchkin and we should expect more from Manchester this week. biggrin.gif Off there myself tomorrow and looking forward to seeing Will and the changes made by the new cast members. I never expected the Nationals to pay any attention to the reprisal but so glad the have and have been even more impressed.

+Quote this post
munchkin
post 10th September 2013, 01:50 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Manchester.

REVIEW: Cabaret

11:00pm Monday 9th September 2013 in Theatre Reviews Photograph of the Author By Jane Lavender, News editor

IT is 11 years since Will Young was crowned winner of the first ever series of Pop Idol.

And yet, more than a decade later, the singer is still definitely at the top of his game.

He has cleverly alternated between chart success and rocking the stage in a variety of productions.

His latest – Cabaret – opened at the Opera House in Manchester.

It tells the story of 19-year-old cabaret performer, Sally Bowles, and her romance with the young American writer, Clive Bradshaw.

Set in 1931 Germany, just as the Nazis are rising to power, the action takes place in the seedy underbelly of German night-life, Young plays Emcee, the master of ceremonies at the aforementioned Kit Kat Club in Berlin.

Resplendent in lederhosen, Young bursts on to the stage in the middle of a massive letter O – you have to see it to appreciate it.

Gone is the polite, undergraduate we all fell in love with on Pop Idol. No, this is a marvellously strange, wacky – and hilarious – Young.

Two Ladies was the embodiment of the slack morals of the era with Young sharing the bed with half a dozen people - and a giraffe.

And the show-stopper Tomorrow Belongs to me was stunning – and terrifying – with Young playing puppet-master to his troupe of cabaret stars.

Siobhan Dillon was superb as the emotionally damaged Sally Bowles. Her rendition of the title song was both stunning and heart-breaking.

And despite its tragic conclusion of the love story between Fraulein Schneider (Lyn Paul) and Herr Schultz (Linal Haft) provide some of the (few) light-hearted and warm moments.

The terrible final scene was truly haunting – with the cast stripped naked (including Will Young) before entering the concentration camp showers.

One of the best adaptations I've seen of Cabaret – and a fantastic night out.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/leisure/the...abaret/?ref=arc

Cabaret – The Opera House, Manchester
Book: Joe Masteroff
Lyrics: Fred Ebb
Director: Rufus Norris
Reviewer: Ruth Lovett
The Public Reviews Rating: ★★★★½

Bill Kenwright production of CABERETdirected by Rufus NorrisThis Rufus Norris revival of Cabaret really hits the spot. Telling the tale of 1930’s Berlin and its seedier side against a backdrop of the Nazi rise to power; we meet Sally Bowels (Siobhan Dillon) who is a performer at the Kit Kat club and her blossoming relationship with Clifford Bradshaw (Matt Rawle). Guided by the Emcee (Will Young), a whole cast of characters are revealed including land lady Fraulein Schneider (Lyn Paul) and Herr Schultz, the local Jewish greengrocer (Linal Haft) and Fraulein Kost (Valerie Cutko) who all play a pivotal role in the show’s disturbing yet powerful conclusion.

Enticing, intriguing yet suitably creepy, Young’s Emcee is really rather good. Encouraging the audience to enter the seemingly fun and carefree Kit Kat club. his progression through the show in to the darker more menacing character is successful, notably during Tomorrow Belongs to Me in which we see him treating the ensemble as puppets; forcing them to dance as marionettes.

Rawle’s Bradshaw goes through a myriad of emotions and although there is limited opportunity for Rawle to show what a good voice he has, the part is played wonderfully. Bradshaw’s initial elation that is later replaced by despair and despondency comes across well. Dillons’s Bowles takes a little while to come in to her own however her rendition of the title song is heart-breaking and emotionally deep. By the end of the show she has captured the vulnerability of the character well.

The ensemble is suitably wonderful and the choreography is to be commended. Moving around the stage and giving the show depth, their role is not to be underestimated as they are key in the story unfolding and its poignant ending.

Beautifully lit by Mark Howett, the set design is a real pleasure (Katrina Lindsay) and serves this production well. It is a pleasure to see the band at various points; superbly led under the musical direction of James McCullagh. The eerie descent in to despair felt by Clifford Bradshaw and the rise in horror of the character of the Emcee and the relationship highs and lows between Schneider and Schultz are all beautifully echoed by good lighting and great use of the stage and set which is quite versatile.

Cabaret is light on songs and big on dialogue but this production is a delight. Act Two is the stronger half and the tension really does build throughout. Norris has certainly brought out the best in his cast and it is not surprisingly that Young received and Olivier award nomination for his role. Cabaret has not lost any of its poignancy nor has its themes lessened in importance. This is a production well worth seeing. Willkommen, Bienvenue and Welcome indeed to this classy revival.

http://www.thepublicreviews.com/cabaret-th...use-manchester/

Thanks to Janet and Bumblies on Baby D for finding these. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 10th September 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Thanks for the Manchester reviews munchkin.

So richly deserved for the show I saw last night. Very few forum fans there, so great to see the brilliant reception for the whole cast but especially Will.

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 12th September 2013, 11:10 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Manchester Evening News

Kabaret in the West End, and coming to Manchester’s Opera House today
Our show begins with a lederhosened thigh dangling gratuitously from a brightly lit sign declaring we are all ‘Willkommen’.

You could be mistaken for thinking Cabaret was actually Will Young’s show, owner of said thigh, who rightly deserves many of the cheers and whistles from the musical’s delighted audience.

Sporting many guises and many outfits that would have triggered some complaints to Ofcom in his mainstream, reality TV days,

Young puts in a strong performance as our host and narrator of a story set in the final heady days of the Berlin cabaret scene of the early 1930s.

We already know he’s a decent singer, but he transforms himself into the mysterious clown-like figure of Emcee with ease, guiding us through the story of club singer Sally Bowles, her bisexual American lover Cliff and her increasingly oppressed friends.

With Young’s made-up face looming large on the programme and billboards, there’s no mistaking him as the star draw here and he shines brightly.

But his talent is equalled by another ex-reality star, Siobhan Dillon, who musters up the right level of enthusiasm and vulnerability needed for her role as the enigmatic singer Sally.

Dillon has the tougher act to follow in the iconic Liza Minnelli role of the 1972 film and, while no one quite has the pipes of Judy Garland’s daughter (except maybe her mum), her voice has the subtlety, control and most importantly the soul needed to carry off such belting showtunes.

Her rendition of the musical’s most emotive ballad, Maybe This Time, is spine-tingling as she reaches those impossibly high notes.

With a multi-talented cast of singers-turned acrobats, fast-paced set changes and plenty of sequins – Cabaret is designed to dazzle its audience and does this to full effect. It also has the power of shocking a modern audience and not just through the full frontal nudity (something to consider when choosing your theatre companion). This is proved most of all in the heart-stopping ending, which sets out the fate awaiting its characters in bolder terms than Minnelli’s movie did.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/wha...dazzles-5906254

One of Kander and Ebb's greatest musicals, Cabaret has had a bit of a chequered history, mainly due to the Bob Fosse film version that introduced some great new songs but removed almost all of the narrative numbers where the characters weren't aware they were singing (technically known as "non-diegetic"). The songs were mostly confined to the Kit Kat Club stage, ruled over by the sinister Emcee.

Productions since then have cobbled together bits of the film with bits of the original stage production, which director Rufus Norris does here with a great deal of intelligence. So we get the film's "Mein Herr" as Sally Bowles's opening number in the club, but "Don't Tell Mama", which it replaced, is overheard while we watch a scene played backstage. The gorgeous "Maybe This Time", written for the film, here with a haunting sax intro that sounds as though it is being played in the alley outside, can never be left out.

Choreographer Javier de Frutos has firmly left behind Bob Fosse—not a bowler hat, cane or a dancing chair in sight—but creates the perfect seediness with a style that is sometimes chaotic, often erotic and more acrobatic. In the midst of the joyful abandon, Norris's production powerfully reminds us of exactly what this show is all about: the gradual normalisation of the Nazis and their toxic policies of hatred in German society of the 1930s.

And so Emcee manipulates the company as marionettes with swastikas for "Tomorrow Belongs To Me", the final line of "If You Could See Her" as the Emcee dances with a gorilla brings a devastating reveal and the ending is one of the bleakest moments I have ever seen on a stage, conjuring up images of the human suffering to which these ideas, so lightly dismissed by Herr Schultz, would lead.

The first half jumps around a lot, inevitably, as it sets up the story threads and cuts back frequently to the club, but the second act has more sustained dramatic moments, in particular the heartbreaking story of the relationship between Herr Schultz and Fräulein Schneider, played nicely by Linal Haft and Lyn Paul respectively.

As the man in control, Will Young gets across the quirkiness and playfulness of Emcee with a great deal of energy and commitment, although I think he could be more sinister and perhaps engage with the real audience a bit more. There is a very strong performance from Matt Rawle as main character Clifford Bradshaw, and Siobhan Dillon gets across the exhausting energy and carefree attitude of Sally Bowles, but gives powerful renditions of "Maybe This Time" and "Cabaret".

Valerie Cutko is an imposing figure as Fräulein Kost, whose support for the new politics becomes clear, and Nicholas Tizzard makes Ernst Ludwig, the committed party man, disturbingly normal.

Overall the performances are pretty good rather than great, but with a very powerful production concept, a superb band and an ending that leaves you stunned into silence, it's definitely worth seeing

http://www.britishtheatreguide.info/review...a-house-ma-9376

Will Young dazzles at the Manchester Opera House as flamboyant leather-short wearing Emcee in the UK tour of the 1960’s Broadway production of Cabaret. Well and truly a story of two halves, the first focussing on the seedy nightlife of the Kit Kat club in Berlin 1931 with many comic moments, fiery dance routines and risqué costumes along the way. The second half takes a much darker path focussing on the rise of the Nazi’s which is dramatically introduced to the production at the end of the first act.

Will Young was the perfect embodiment of the head of the Kit Kat Club’s troop fiery and seductive performers with his witty nature and incredible stage presence. Two love stories are intertwined throughout Cabaret, with the relationship between American novelist Cliff Bradshaw and English singer Sally Bowles blossoming in the house of Fraulein Schneider. Who’s new suitor Jewish Herr Schultz is a regular at the Kit Kat Club where Sally works.

The story of Herr and Fraulein is truly heart-breaking to watch as their union ends in the second half due to Herr’s Jewish roots. Their subtle but brilliant performances certainly pull on the audiences’ heartstrings when their chance of love is squashed due to the Nazi’s hatred of the Jew’s at that time.

The most incredible scene took place when the first hint of the dark path the musical is to take comes to light, Young plays a powerful but sinister puppet-master in the song ‘Tomorrow Belongs To Me’ pulling the strings of the once happy-go-lucky dancers. This is where the signs of Nazi Germany begins to creep in, leaving the audience eagerly anticipating the next act.

The once elaborate set is taken away for the final scenes which dons a make-up free Emcee wearing just a dressing gown is joined by a row of naked death camp prisoners preparing to step into the showers. This scene is exceptionally moving and symbolises perfectly the tragic journey the show follows. From Berlin’s sordid nightlife to the devastating references to World War II Will Young is completely show stopping in this adaptation of Cabaret.
http://vivalifestyle.co.uk/amazing-perform...ant-production/

Lancashire Telegraph

Rufus Norris' Cabaret takes you
instantly back and Welcomes you to a time when life in Berlin was ‘beautiful’.

But it was also a dark and debauched, sinister and scary place to be as spectre of Nazism loomed over the nation and the infamous Kit Kat Club, its cabaret performers and clientele.

Will Young’s portrayal of the Kit Kat Emcee and puppetmaster to the action was the best I’ve seen, and I’ve been lucky enough to watch Norris’s production in its original West End outing and a previous tour.

The voice which won over a nation as the original TV Pop Idol has matured and his instantly recognisable tones never distract from the haunting, clowning characterisation.

His rendition of Tomorrow Belongs To Me, usually sung by a young Nazi soldier or prostitute Fraulein Kost, totally changed the tone of the show, which is more of a play with songs than a traditional musical

As he made the puppet chorus dance to his increasingly angry tune, the direction of life in late-Weimar Berlin was clear, and terrifying. And I could hardly bear to breathe during I Don’t Care much, such was the intensity of atmosphere he created with an almost whispered sound.

This work will inevitably draw comparisons with the legendary film version, with the young singer Sally Bowles played to perfection by Liza Minnelli, so it’s a clever call to somewhat down play that role and give greater focus to the Emcee.

Siobhan Dillon, third placed finalist in How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?, was something of a delicate, bird-like Sally, but her storytelling and grim-yet-manic realisation during the show’s title number was stunning and a real turnaround moment.

Like Dillon, Matt Rawle as writer Clifford Bradshaw, came into his own in the later stages of the production, turning from a classic all-American guy-next-door to a wounded soul – literally and physically come the oh-so-bitter end.

Gentler moments, although not without their dramas, were created between Lyn Paul and Linal Haft, as the ageing romantics Fraulein Schneider and Herr Schultz. Paul’s voice was simply devine.

Executing the sexual and seedy choreography by Javier De Fruitos, and writhing their ways around Katrina Lindsay’s framework set, the Kit Kat Kids really drove home the story and its undertones. And it was their dark closing moments which held the entire auditorium still and enraptured until the final chords had echoed their last, and drew a solitary tear down my cheek.

Perhaps most telling of the impact of this production was the reverential applause, the whooping and a-hollering which all too often accompanies the final moments of a musical these days was held back until the curtain call lights came up, and even then were at a somewhat muted level – at odds with the determined rhythm of applause.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/leisu...se__Manchester/

Direct from his Olivier Award nominated performance as Emcee, Young reprises the role in Rufus Norris’ acclaimed production of the Kander and Ebb musical as part of its UK tour.

Set in the backdrop of 1931 Berlin, as the Nazis are rising to power, the show follows English cabaret performer Sally Bowles and the relationship she forms with bisexual American writer Cliff Bradshaw.

Most of the action takes place in the seedy and infamous Kit Kat Club where anything goes and Will Young holds court as the wickedly camp and dark Master of Ceremonies.

Will’s fan-base has come out in their droves to show their support for the star with a full house and cheers erupting from the moment his head popped out of the O in the opening song Willkommen.
“Every night we battle to keep the girls taking off all their clothing. So, don’t go away. Tonight we may lose that battle!” – Emcee
This production of Cabaret moves from a light and comedic first half, full of the frivolity of ‘30s Berlin, to a sinister second half; pre empted by a powerful marionette number at the end of Act 1 where the ensemble become puppets manipulated by a manically wild Young dressed as Hitler.

Will’s fan-base has come out in their droves to show their support for the star with a full house and cheers erupting from the moment his head popped out of the O in the opening song Willkommen. Even those who had just come along to enjoy some of the most iconic songs in musical theatre such as Money Makes the World Go Round, and Maybe This Time couldn’t help being mesmerized by Young who truly steals every scene he’s in.

Will-Young-as-Emcee-in-Cabaret-Photographer-Keith-Pattison-2012-PRODUCTION

Taking on Sally Bowles, the role that made Minnelli famous in the 1972 film, is another student from the ‘reality TV show school’ Siobhan Dillon. Finalist in BBC 1’s How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria’ Dillon showed a performance that was more ‘saint than sinner’ in her portrayal of showgirl Sally Bowles.

Cabaret-Siobhan-Dillon-as-Sally-Bowles-3

Dillon failed to convince as the manipulative and fame obsessed Bowles; her beautifully pure vocals left me aching for them to be gritty and desperate. There’s no doubt Siobhan is a great talent and an amazing singer but unfortunately this is not a role that sits comfortably with her.

A nod goes to the Ensemble who sizzled with energy as the Kit Kat Club performers amusing the audience with their tongue in cheek sauciness and yes…nudity (a warning to cover your Nans’ eyes)!

Leading the sub-story was former Blood Brothers star Lyn Paul as Fraulein Schneider. The Liverpudlian born actress couldn’t quite disguise her Scouse accent despite playing a landlady who had never stepped foot out of Berlin. That aside she delivered a sensitive performance providing some tender moments with her ‘suitor’ Herr Schultz played by Linus Hart.

There may have been the odd whisper at the interval that this was ‘The Will Young Show’ but in its defence that is what makes it a success. Young is clearly in his element here and loving every minute of his stint onstage just as much as the audience enjoy watching him. As the show received its second encore Will left with a skip and a smile knowing that this was yet another smash to add to his long list!

Cabaret

Manchester Opera House, Quay Street, Manchester
Monday 9 to Saturday 14 Sept
Box Office: 0844 871 3018
www.atgtickets.com/manchester

http://www.manchestersfinest.com/arts/cabaret-review/

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 12th September 2013, 05:26 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Found by Diz from this tweet.

Nicola Adam ‏@jabberingjourno
I rarely give 10/10 but.. Review: Cabaret starring @will_young31 http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/what ... -1-6043018 … @PalaceAndOpera
The complete and utter silence of an audience can only mean one of three things. One, they have fallen asleep, two they have left, or three – they have been stunned into the impressed silence that precedes a standing ovation.

Cabaret was number three. Rarely have I seen a crowd so seemingly moved, so shocked and awed by a performance in equal measure. And I was holding my breath among them.

Never is a story more difficult to pull off than the tale of colliding humanity, set to the backdrop of encroaching Nazi Germany and its horrors for humanity – but this undoubtedly succeeds. Based in Berlin in 1931, the setting is the seedy Kit Kat club and the musical revolves around the unorthodox relationship between American writer Cliff Bradshaw and English nightclub performer Sally Bowles – a role made famous by Liza Minnelli.

While the club itself is a metaphor for the menacing political situation, its relevance is brought to bear by the Master of ceremonies – Emcee – played by the incomparable Will Young. He without doubt makes this production, at once whimsical, camp, threatening and ubiquitous, his shockingly compelling and intelligent performance is nailed on – and his raising the rafters singing voice only emphasises his versatility as a performer.

Siobhan Dillon, as Sally Bowles, bounces off Will and Matt Rawle’s Cliff effortlessly. Her personality-filled interpretation of Sally is a triumph. The small but perfectly formed ensemble cast is versatile – you also see a lot of them, literally. I could see a fellow theatre-goer regretting taking her mother when a male dancer got his bits out in scene one...

But the extreme smut of the situation works extremely well to dramatise a nation trying to grasp a last gasp at freedom before those not submitting to society’s new rules were punished.

This is a must-see, old chum. 10/10

http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/what-s-...ester-1-6043018

This post has been edited by truly talented: 12th September 2013, 06:14 PM

+Quote this post
munchkin
post 18th September 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Bristol

Review: Cabaret, Bristol Hippodrome
Wednesday, September 18 2013

When I learnt that Will Young would be reprising his West End role as Emcee in Rufus Norris’ new touring production of Cabaret at the Bristol Hippodrome, I was in two minds.

By all accounts I had heard on the grapevine that the production was excellent, but I couldn’t help but have flashbacks to late 2002, when I sat and watched the epic pop balladry of Young vs Gates on Pop Idol.

But from the first moment he appears, powdered and striking through the giant letter ‘O’ of the word ‘Willkomen’, Young captivates, holding the stage like a genuine master of ceremonies.

Dark, camp, creepy and powerful, his portrayal of Emcee is not likely to be bettered any time soon.

He catapults us, along with naïve American Clifford Bradshaw (played by Matt Rawle) into the world of the hedonistic Kit Kat Club.

The allure of pre-war Berlin is captured to perfection by Katrina Lindsay’s staging: stark, metal cages and shadows vying with flashbulbs and limelight.

Not to be outdone, Siobhan Dillon (you might remember her as coming third in ‘How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria’) bursts into this scene as Sally Bowles.

Like Young, Dillon roars into character from the first syllable of the first song. She captures Sally’s hard, yet desperately fragile nature, and flings out some crowd-stunning notes while she’s at it.

The most noticeable element of this show is its attitude of slick, no-excuses professionalism that is so often missing from touring productions.

Songs such as ‘Tomorrow Belongs to Me’ and ‘Two Ladies’ are re-imagined with stunning effect, whether comic, poignant or a heady mix of both.

This production truly is the sum of its parts, and it would be impossible to choose an individual favourite between the staging, the performances or choreography. Standing ovations on opening nights are fairly unusual, but in this case, wholly justified.

Review by Laura Hounsom
http://www.bristol-culture.com/2013/09/18/...tol-hippodrome/

BWW Reviews: CABARET, Bristol Hippodrome, September 17 2013
September 18
2:09 AM 2013 by Kathryn Pintus

Brilliantly barmy, deliciously dark and ultimately harrowingly hard-hitting - that's how I would describe the current UK tour of Cabaret.

I saw a production of this musical a few years back in the West End, and while I enjoyed it, I don't remember being quite as taken with it as I was tonight at the Bristol Hippodrome. With this touring production, everything seemed to gel together seamlessly to create a well-rounded, entertaining and thought-provoking piece of theatre, from the cast and band to the choreography and set.

Will Young was sublimely creepy as the Emcee, taking the audience on a journey through tawdry and decadent Berlin in the early 1930s. Starting off as more of a comical, odd-ball character, Young paces his performance well, gradually becoming more and more sinister and unhinged - by the end of act one, the unsettling parallels between the unnerving Master of Ceremonies and Hitler are all too apparent. The staging of Tomorrow Belongs to Me is cleverly done, with the song going from Young singing beautifully and bringing an air of peacefulness to the piece, to packing a punch with his disconcerting puppeteer act as he manipulates the Kit Kat Club dancers to do his bidding.

Siobhan Dillon was beautifully barking as Sally Bowles, the hyperactive, drug-addled star of the Kit Kat Club. With her incessant talking and rather intense personality, Sally Bowles is a role which can easily be played in such a way as to become annoying, losing the audience's attention and earning little more than apathy, but Dillon put in an utterly stellar performance, keeping the whirlwind essence of the character while giving her a heart and winning our affection. Dillon backs up her remarkable acting performance with some impressive vocals, which I must admit gave me chills during Mein Herr. Her shining moment comes during Maybe This Time, which is performed with such a deep emotional connection that one could not help but be sucked in.

Matt Rawle puts in a solid performance as Clifford Bradshaw, the closeted bisexual American novelist new to Berlin who soon learns to embrace his sexuality, and who falls in love with Sally Bowles. Rawle successfully demonstrates Bradshaw's transition from naïve newbie to outraged American, disgusted at what he is witnessing and in fear of what is to come. Although I didn't feel that he and Dillon's relationship was that of a couple madly in love, and instead was more of a caring, convenient one, I felt that it worked rather well given the situation both characters were in. Linal Haft as Herr Schultz and Lyn Paul as Fraulein Schneider were wonderful as the ageing and ill-fated couple in their autumn years, bringing a sense of normality, kindness and reality to the dealings and debauchery of the Kit Kat Club. I must also mention the ensemble, who all gave extremely strong performances, and delivered Javier De Frutos' Fosse-esque choreography with energy and passion.

I shan't spoil the show by giving away the ending, but it is certainly unexpected and hard-hitting. During the final moments of the show, an audience which had loudly cheered the Emcee at his first appearance, laughed raucously through several songs, and giggled girlishly at the unforeseen appearance of a naked man, suddenly fell eerily silent. It may be a cliché, but you could have heard a pin drop in the Bristol Hippodrome tonight, and I, for one, was in tears.

I'm sad to say that this show is only in town for one week, so shimmy on down to the Bristol Hippodrome and bag yourself a ticket.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/uk-regional/a...7-2013-20130918

REVIEW: Cabaret, Bristol Hippodrome - 8/10
By The Bristol Post
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
By Gerry Parke

IT was the Bob Fosse 1972 film version that lifted this already popular stage musical into the realms of a blockbuster, adding a gloss which was deliberately not present in Christopher Isherwood's original stories of Berlin.

Written during the authors stay in the German capital at the beginning of the 1930's, just as the Nazi party was gaining power, they show much more of the evil underbelly of German political and social life.

With their star, Will Young, having came to the fore via the TV show Pop Idol it must have been very tempting for Producer Bill Kenwright and Director Rufus Norris to go all-out for glitz and glamour, neglecting the high drama in the story.

Fortunately for all concerned, they had faith in Will Young and the rest of the cast's ability to do more than just deliver the cheap option, with the result that Mr Young's Emcee vocally and dramatically takes us right into the heart of Berlin's decadent night life.

There we find the legendary Sally Bowles equipped with the title song, one of show business's greatest show stoppers. Siobhan Dillon was certainly in no mood to look a gift horse like that in the mouth and duly stopped the show. She also left just enough room in her bravura performance for Matt Rawle to create a realistic portrait of the writer, and her prospective partner, Cliff.

The lonely elderly characters of the landlady Fraulein Schneider, and her fruiterer fiance Herr Schultz, robbed of happiness because he is Jewish, showed no signs of the often seen over sentimentality. In the safe hands of Lyn Paul, and Linal Haft they became two of the most telling characters in the show. It was lovely to hear their gentle love duet receiving as well-judged a backing from MD James McCullough and his terrific music combo as the well-staged big solo and production numbers.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/REVIEW-Cabare...tail/story.html

Swindon Advertiser
Review: Cabaret at the Bristol Hippodrome
12:59pm Wednesday 18th September 2013 by Stephanie Tye

WILKOMMEN, bienvenue and welcome to the notorious Kit Kat Club in Berlin - be prepared to be dazzled by a stunning cast belting out some fantastic songs.
Set in 1930s Germany during the rise of the Nazis, this musical features well-known numbers such as Mein Herr, Money Money, If You Could See Her and the classis Cabaret.

Will Young is an absolute revelation in the role of Emcee, the master of ceremonies at the Kit Kat Club. He straddles the line between charmingly camp entertainer and someone with a more sinister nature perfectly.
From the moment he appears on stage he has the audience eating out of the palm of his hand.
I’ve seen the singer perform live a couple of times in Swindon before, but this show’s score display his vocals beautifully. He has a real clarity to his voice that sends a shiver down the spine.

Sionhan Dillon, who was a finalist in How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria, took on the role of Sally Bowles and was full of energy as the eccentric English cabaret performer.
However, all of the cast, which also include Lyn Paul, deserved the standing ovation they received on opening night.
There are a few uncomfortable moments where you want to laugh but know that you shouldn’t, but that is as it should be.
And as the curtain fell against a stark tableau, you could have heard a pin drop in the audience. The image was that powerful.
This is a show that is well worth the price of a ticket
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/leisure...l_Young_and_co/

Annie Bowles reviews Cabaret at Bristol Hippodrome theatre, playing until 21 September

My first impression of Cabaret, upon hearing the name of the show, was that it would be a glitzy, sparkly, playful musical…sort of like a marriage between Chicago and Cirque du Soleil. How terribly wrong I was.

Set in 1931, Germany is just beginning to feel the ripples of what quickly turns into a tidal wave of Nazi politics. Clifford Bradshaw, a young American author played by Matt Rawle, makes his way to Berlin to find something to write about. On the way he meets enigmatic British beauty Sally Bowles. Cabaret takes us on a journey of alarming clarity, from the sparkly seediness of the Kit Kat Klub where Sally entertains to the darker realites of Nazi society.

However it isn't all stark truth about a dark period of history. The first act is full of cheeky, perfectly polished dance routines and saucy musical numbers. Will Young reprising his role as Emcee, the Master of Ceremonies, is simply delightful. His boyish wit made everyone in the audience chuckle appreciatively. Siobhan Dillon’s performance as Sally Bowles certainly made me experience a wide range of feelings: joy, admiration, sadness, pity, anger. It was an emotional rollercoaster, to say the least. Siobhan also has a truly amazing singing voice; she really blew me away.

Cabaret shows the audience how seemingly feel-good and happy-go-lucky characters react and change under the influence of Nazi politics. "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" was a high note. The cast’s performance was so edgy, dramatic and chic that it was almost cool.

Also worthy of note was Emcee's If You Could See Her, a particularly amusing performance by Young that clearly showed the audience the strain of the Kit Kat Klub attempting to adapt to Nazi culture to save themselves…but alas it was too little, too late. Stark staging of light and shadow emphasised the inescapable doom that lurked on the horizon for all.

I will certainly not be forgetting Cabaret for a long time. It's a chilling, haunting show, where laughter, cheeky antics and jazzy songs make the dark elements all the more memorable. Not a show to be missed for sure.
http://www.guide2bristol.com/news/58630/Ca...-theatre-review

Cabaret at Bristol Hippodrome

KANDER and Ebb’s musical version of Cabaret opened on Broadway in 1966, was made into an eight Oscar-winning film, and has been produced on stages around the world ever since.

You won’t see a better production than the current tour, directed by Rufus Norris, starring Will Young and at Bristol Hippodrome until Saturday 21st September.

The original musical, based on Christopher Isherwood’s short novel Goodbye to Berlin, appeared only 36 years after its setting in 1930s Berlin, and that’s more than 80 years ago now. So perhaps it’s not surprising that a sizable percentage of the audience at Bristol on Tuesday seemed perplexed by the story and its staging, but delighted to see the stars of reality television contests on stage before their eyes.

Joel Grey created the role of the Emcee both on Broadway and on film, and it was widely held that no-one could do it better – until the extraordinary Mr Young. He was the first winner, 13 years ago, of Pop Idol, and is living proof that the shows can reveal real and lasting talent.

He is joined by another talent show graduate, Siobhan Dillon from the Sound of Music search for a Maria, and she brings a brash, tender desperation to the role of Sally Bowles, the London girl looking for fame, fortune and love in the demi-monde of Berlin.

Javier de Frutos has re-choreographed the show, never drawing back from the uncompromising sexual exploitation of the Kit Kat Club and the violence of the encroaching Nazi sympathisers.

He gives Will Young a challenging repertoire of styles from fey little boy though Tweedledum to screaming commandant, each carried off with astonishing skill.

Matt Rawle plays the Isherwood character, a sexually ambivalent American novelist who comes to Berlin to experience the city’s famed nightlife, and becomes embroiled in Sally’s life.

The sub-plot of landlady Fraulein Schneider and her Jewish suitor Herr Schultz is neatly underlined by the performance of Valerie Cutco (who made such an impression at Yeovil Octagon in Cinderella two years ago) as the aging whore whose power over her landlady increases with every new National Socialist advance.

The onstage band, under the leadership of James McCullagh, squeezes every nuance of sleaze and threat out of the score, providing a background to Katrina Lindsay’s clever, monochrome and mobile sets.

This is a remarkable production of one of the most powerful musicals of all time, and the finale is stunning, in the true sense of the word.

GP-W

http://www.theftr.co.uk/cabaret-at-bristol-hippodrome/

Thanks to all the girls on Baby Devoted for finding these great reviews dance.gif

This post has been edited by munchkin: 18th September 2013, 04:34 PM

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 18th September 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Thanks munchkin.

Another city but the same phenomenal reviews.

+Quote this post
munchkin
post 19th September 2013, 10:24 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Thursday, September 19, 2013The Bristol PostFollow
STOCKINGS, suspenders, emerging Nazis and yes, Pop Idol's Will Young.
What a night.
This was a production that tore at your emotions. It was funny, ironic, happy, sad, gentle, brutal and moving.
From the start it grabbed your attention. There were bright lights, stark sets and brilliant live music.

It transported us to the raunchy night club of Berlin in 1931 where life as everyone knew it was about to change forever.
Young as white-faced Emcee was camp but it was controlled camp. He didn't overplay it. He didn't try to steal the show. He didn't need to. He put in a great performance and sang superbly as one of a great cast.
His delivery of the lyrically tongue-twisting Money was superb.
And his parody of Hitler controlling his dancers on strings attached to large hand-held swastikas was stunning.
As a spectacle alone it was sheer genius.
Siobhan Dillion, as dizzy, adorable and naïve Sally Bowles was a joy. She genuinely stopped the show with a heartfelt rendition of the title song shot through with regret and angst as she watched the world she knew falling apart. It was both brittle and defiant.
Set against this were the tender performances of Lyn Paul as landlady Fraulein Schneider, and Linal Haft as Herr Schultz, the ageing friends whose love was thwarted by the rise of the Nazis. She still has a wonderful voice.
Despite the passage of time the sight of a Nazi swastika on a red armband is still enough to send an audible chill through a theatre.
As were the renditions of the Nazi youth anthem Tomorrow Belongs To Me, a song with seemingly simple words but dripping with malevolence.
This Rufus Norris production is poignant and memorable.
And those brought up on the 1972 film with Liza Minnelli will not go away disappointed.
It ended in a solemn, dramatic and emotional laden tableau that was breathtaking.
And seconds later the entire Hippodrome audience rose cheering as one.
We had seen something special, something to talk about and something to remember.

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Come-Cabar...l#ixzz2fJapHGQl

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 19th September 2013, 01:53 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Thanks again munchkin. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Jester
post 22nd September 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

BRISTOL

Review: Cabaret at Bristol Hippodrome
We expect Young to have a good voice and be a decent dancer – but here he delivers physical and verbal comedy as well

By Andy Batten-Foster
Thursday September 19, 2013

There was once a famous 1960′s comedian (Eric Sykes, as it happens) who used to say that if he told a West End audience a slightly risque joke they’d laugh heartily; but if he told the same joke to a provincial audience they’d still laugh, but then cover their mouths in embarrassment and mutter under their collective breath, “Oh, my word!”

Well, if Cabaret at The Bristol Hippodrome is anything to go by we are still a provincial audience (get used to it) because when the show offered up its first glimpse of full frontal nudity (male) a definate frisson of “Oh, my word!” ran through the crowd.

Cabaret is a great show – which you should certainly do your best to get tickets for – and one of the best things about it is its star Will Young – now so much more than just that bloke who won Pop Idol. He has terrific stage presense as EMCEE – the sinister, sardonic Master of Ceremonies at Berlin’s Kit Kat Klub – the cabaret where all the singing and dancing goes on and the mirror through which we see the slow but certain rise of the Nazis. We expect Young to have a good voice and be a decent dancer – but here he delivers physical and verbal comedy as well as an extraordinary level of poingancy and subtlty in his acting.

Three of his outstanding moments – first an hilarious sex romp that begins with “Two Ladies” in his bed and ends up with something like 15 various perverted temptations (how did that Giraffe get in there?) The second, a disturbing and brilliantly staged rendition of “Tomorrow Belongs To Me”, where EMCEE manipulates the Klub’s dancers like a demented puppet master. As the song grows in power the dance steps begin to hint more and more at a goose-step march and we notice the dancer’s strings end in hand controls fashioned like swastikas. On the very last note a Hitler moustache is popped cheekily onto EMCEE’s grotesquely made up face as the finishing, sinister touch.

The third great moment in Will Young’s terrific performance comes at the very end of the show – chilling, terrifying and far more interesting a conclusion than the movie offered us. It’s a powerful finish and one I shouldn’t spoil here – but it proves that a truly great musical can deliver so much more than song and dance routines hung on a flimsy plot line.

Cabaret shows us the full range of decadence, hedonism and sleaze on offer in 1930′s Berlin through the wide open eyes of the new American boy in town, Cliff Bradshaw (Matt Rawle) as he arrives to write his great novel (inevitably). One of the first people he meets is the Klub’s singer Sally Bowles – a great force of nature who immediately tries to overpower and seduce him.

Of course it was Liza Minnelli who commandeered the Bowles character in the Bob Fosse movie version of Cabaret in 1972 as the launchpad for her stratospheric rise to international fame – so it`s a tough job for anyone to follow her.

Siobhan Dillon makes a pretty good stab at it in this production – she’s got a belter of a voice (particularly during the show stopper “Maybe This Time”, a touching vulnerability (we all suspect Bowles isn’t as tough as she pretends to be) and she can twerk her way through the raunchy dance routines as well as anyone – but as might be expected for a woman who first arrived on our television screens as a competitor in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria” casting call, a little of the Julie Andrews lingers about her. I’m afraid she still comes across as more nun than hot-blooded bump and grind floozie.

There’s an absolutey charming sub plot – a doomed love affair between an elderly widow Fräulein Schneider (Lynn Paul, once a New Seeker) and an equally lonely fruit shop owner Herr Schultz (Linal Haft). He woos her with luxurious gifts from his shop. Never has there been a more whistful and beautiful song written about a pineapple than “It Couldn’t Please Me More” (it comes served with exotic hula hula dancers.)

But Cabaret is Will Young’s show, and If this move into grown-up acting is designed to be some sort of career extension plan then it looks as though he’ll be with us long after the female squeals of adulation (of which there were a few last night night – blame the lederhosen) have died away.

Cabaret is at The Bristol Hippodrome until Saturday 21 September.

http://www.bristol247.com/2013/09/19/revie...ppodrome-54803/

REVIEW: Cabaret, Bristol Hippodrome - 8/10

Wednesday, September 18, 2013
By Gerry Parker

IT was the Bob Fosse 1972 film version that lifted this already popular stage musical into the realms of a blockbuster, adding a gloss which was deliberately not present in Christopher Isherwood's original stories of Berlin.

Written during the authors stay in the German capital at the beginning of the 1930's, just as the Nazi party was gaining power, they show much more of the evil underbelly of German political and social life.​

With their star, Will Young, having came to the fore via the TV show Pop Idol it must have been very tempting for Producer Bill Kenwright and Director Rufus Norris to go all-out for glitz and glamour, neglecting the high drama in the story.

Fortunately for all concerned, they had faith in Will Young and the rest of the cast's ability to do more than just deliver the cheap option, with the result that Mr Young's Emcee vocally and dramatically takes us right into the heart of Berlin's decadent night life.

There we find the legendary Sally Bowles equipped with the title song, one of show business's greatest show stoppers. Siobhan Dillon was certainly in no mood to look a gift horse like that in the mouth and duly stopped the show. She also left just enough room in her bravura performance for Matt Rawle to create a realistic portrait of the writer, and her prospective partner, Cliff.

The lonely elderly characters of the landlady Fraulein Schneider, and her fruiterer fiance Herr Schultz, robbed of happiness because he is Jewish, showed no signs of the often seen over sentimentality. In the safe hands of Lyn Paul, and Linal Haft they became two of the most telling characters in the show. It was lovely to hear their gentle love duet receiving as well-judged a backing from MD James McCullough and his terrific music combo as the well-staged big solo and production numbers.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/REVIEW-Cabare...tail/story.html

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 24th September 2013, 07:57 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Thanks Matt. Did you enjoy the show?

+Quote this post