BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Victoria & Abdul, 15 Sept 2017 | starring Dame Judi Dench | directed by Stephen Frears
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 30th May 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Directed by Stephen Frears (the man behind The Queen, Philomena, Florence Foster Jenkins, Mrs Henderson Presents, Dangerous Liaisons), it looks like it could be just as charming as his previous films and Judi Dench looks like she'll be great, some good laughs but emotional weight to the performance too. Surely another big contender for Best Actress nominations this awards season!?!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 14th September 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #2
Group icon
c:

This might be my new favourite video on the internet!! I had the fattest smile on my face watching this, she's such a treasure wub.gif heart.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 17th September 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #3
Group icon
c:

Saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty cute but nothing special really. You can tell its a Stephen Frears film, light-hearted and fun for the majority of the run-time with an emotional ending. Judi was the real MVP of the film but she could do this role in her sleep really (not that I'm expecting her to leave her comfort zone when she does it so well and is still working hard at 82 years of age ohmy.gif). I'm not sure if such a safe role will get her many passion votes in awards season which might effect her chances at an Oscar nomination but she's definitely got a few great Oscar clips to chose from in this film (her crying on the bench after they went on the boat to the remote island was a lovely little scene). The rest of the cast were fun but probably a bit too over-the-top which did have me cringing a little bit. The film itself isn't as polished or as charming as other Frears films like The Queen or Philomena but it's one I had a nice time watching and I would definitely be interested in re-watching it in the future too.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 19th September 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #4
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Joke spoilers ahead, avoid if you don't want them ruined~

Definitely not as good as Philomena but better than Florence Foster Jenkins for me. I thought it started off REALLY well, I was almost choking on my popcorn at one point cos of the laughs, but they didn't quite keep up. The moments where she was dragged out of bed, all the plates were taken away even if her guests hadn't finished but she had, the talk about her bowel movements, it all felt so ridiculous in a hilarious way laugh.gif I liked Abdul's joke about his wife and mother in law too.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 19th September 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Sep 19 2017, 07:57 PM) *
I liked Abdul's joke about his wife and mother in law too.

Omg, I almost choked at this part too laugh.gif It was so unexpected as well but it was excellently delivered by Ali Fazal !

+Quote this post
Qween
post 20th September 2017, 07:18 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

This was everything I expected it to be, nothing more, nothing less. It will sit perfectly on a Sunday evening on the beeb in a few years. Judi was fab, but as Josh says it didn't challenge her at all. I really liked most of the supporting cast, though Eddie Izzard and Michael Gambon were both a little TOO hammy for my liking (though, once again, not a surprise from either of them). Lots of laughs, lots of charm lots of heart and just a nice little movie. 7/10

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:30 AM