BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Local or International Football?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Which do you support more?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 13
Guests cannot vote 
PeteFromLeeds
post 19th July 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

So there's been a bit of discussion about this whilst the World Cup's been on, but simply do you prefer watching league football or international football?

Personally it's definitely international. Whilst a football game itself is as enjoyable either way, the World Cup is over within two months and all the results are decided, whereas in football leagues it takes a full year to rank the teams, and then only three teams (give or take) move up and down each year. It feels a bit slow, and hypothetically if you had the best team in the world in Tier 22 then it would take 12 years for them to even be able to compete in the FA Cup tongue.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DJHazey
post 19th July 2018, 03:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,783

I enjoy International far more. There's always enough qualifiers and tournaments going on throughout the year, that I never lose interest...especially since I pay attention to all regions, not just Europe. Then you get nice little 1-2 month breaks like from the World Cup this year to the start of UEFA Nations League and the next set of 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers in September.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 19th July 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

For me club football in general wins over international football. The World Cup is the football competition that I enjoy the most but apart from that and the European Championship and Africa Cup Of Nations I barely watch international football.

I don't normally bother to watch international friendlies or qualification matches and when the club season has a break for international football it's normally an annoyance for me and a hindrance for the club sides as it can spoil a good rhythm of form particularly at the beginning of a season and key players often pick up injuries during these games.

Club football feels like more of an emotional journey for me as it's following the highs and lows of the team that you support throughout a year instead of a few weeks and the matches are scheduled at perfect times unlike the World Cup or the European Championship. But the drawback to this is that most club football matches are not shown live on free TV unlike international football which means that I watch live matches on streaming websites a lot of the time.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 19th July 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Pretty much exactly what Houdini said^

I did really get into the England WC run though, first time I've properly done that since the '06 one!

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 19th July 2018, 05:42 PM

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 19th July 2018, 05:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

Club football 100%.

Bar the major tournaments, international football is lame. It disrupts the club season and can often feel very flat because it comes as bad times. I don't really enjoy watching England vs San Marino in a qualifier.. there's no emotion to it, you're expected to win by a cricket score. I agree the buzz from a World Cup and European Championship is exciting. I love the World Cup and it is by far the best football competition but I wholeheartedly agree following a club has far more emotional highs and lows.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 19th July 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265

In club football it's only really West Ham that interest me (and the Bristol teams). Otherwise the relentless hype of the 'Big 6' and everything that goes with it really grates on me. Normally follow the relegation battle closer than whats going on at the top anyway! When it comes to the big matches, I only watch them if I'm with a group of mates or in the pub but don't go out my way to watch although I may follow the Guardian minute-by-minute feed. Same normally applies to European games, I'd only go out my way to watch the final.

Whereas when the tournaments come round, I make an effort to watch every game possible (watched over 50 World Cup games live) and I get as excited as a kid at Christmas when a big tournament is about to begin. Love watching teams and players I have only read about and it was the 2002 World Cup that got my 7 year old self into football. Outside of the tournaments, I can give or take international games.

So, I would rank them:

World Cup/Euros
West Ham
Bristol City/Bristol Rovers
Championship
Premier League
European football
International qualifiers/friendlies

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th July 2018, 06:43 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

I chose internationals but I love all football really.

Follow my local Irish side each Saturday - Cliftonville in Belfast, have a season ticket for Lansdown Rd to watch Ireland and support Liverpool in the PL which I enjoy on sky sports. Used to be obsessed by Liverpool but see the good in the other fields as well now and enjoy them more as the premiership is so money dominated. Some difference in the plastic audience at a field or OT in comparison to a Irish league game!!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 19th July 2018, 08:25 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

The big advantage that international football has (at least when it comes to the major tournaments) is that money plays less of a part.It isn't possible for a national team to go out and buy all the best players. OTOH, the qualifiers can be something of a chore. For the World Cup at least, I still think there should be a preliminary round involving the lowest-ranked teams. With so many qualifying places up for grabs, that isn't really practical for the Euros any more.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th July 2018, 08:44 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

International is my favourite, I love the competition from countries and I also like looking to see where the players get sourced from, as I enjoy seeing obscure nationalities playing at high end clubs. Plus, the football feels quite meaningful and a (mostly) healthy release of nationalistic fervour.

The new Nations League starting soon should hopefully lessen the amount of England-San Marino matches, I'm interested to see how football fans take to that.

Club... I can't remember the last time I watched a club football match, I love exploring football leagues across the world and seeing how the tables are shaping up (I like seeing football as this huge spreadsheet of competition to examine more often than I enjoy watching it as a sport), but the only clubs I ever get attached to are clubs where I've lived (and even then it's mainly just Exeter) and clubs that I've managed to play a lot with in Football Manager, and I remember the league is going on so infrequently that I end up missing out on whatever 'journey' they might take with the exceptions of rarities like Leicester.

As I'm most often a neutral, I obviously prefer, when actually watching the games, fast paced attacking football, I don't know how prevalent that is in club football but this World Cup certainly had a good dose of it.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 19th July 2018, 09:38 PM
Post #10
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Iz @ Jul 19 2018, 09:44 PM) *
International is my favourite, I love the competition from countries and I also like looking to see where the players get sourced from, as I enjoy seeing obscure nationalities playing at high end clubs. Plus, the football feels quite meaningful and a (mostly) healthy release of nationalistic fervour.

The new Nations League starting soon should hopefully lessen the amount of England-San Marino matches, I'm interested to see how football fans take to that.

Club... I can't remember the last time I watched a club football match, I love exploring football leagues across the world and seeing how the tables are shaping up (I like seeing football as this huge spreadsheet of competition to examine more often than I enjoy watching it as a sport), but the only clubs I ever get attached to are clubs where I've lived (and even then it's mainly just Exeter) and clubs that I've managed to play a lot with in Football Manager, and I remember the league is going on so infrequently that I end up missing out on whatever 'journey' they might take with the exceptions of rarities like Leicester.

As I'm most often a neutral, I obviously prefer, when actually watching the games, fast paced attacking football, I don't know how prevalent that is in club football but this World Cup certainly had a good dose of it.

I think on the whole club football can be quite boring, the problem is with the gulf in class and the money involved teams just play simple and try to kill the game . Personally for me as a Liverpool fan I can safely say that 85% of the time it's really exciting to watch. You often get good games in the Premier League, I can remember watching a few unbelieveable games last season involving the top teams (which hasn't always been the case!).

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 20th July 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I'm sure if Leeds got into the Premier League then club football would suddenly interest me again (Huddersfield getting there made me slightly more interested at the lower end), but the Top 6 do seem so much better than everyone else - in fact, since I started paying attention to football in 2011 (mostly due to Match Attax) the only team outside the Big 6 to not have spent a season in the Championship in that time is Everton. I guess that shows that club football is diverse, but it also shows how far ahead a select group of teams are. I guess that happens in international as well (we still don't see the obscure Asian/Caribbean teams making the World Cup) but it's a lot easier to have a 'shock' result so to speak.

+Quote this post
Flatcap
post 20th July 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Nah.
User: 27

League football always, I rarely watch an international football match now. The hype surrounding them has put me off for good.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:33 PM