BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Artists you love that never really 'happened', Repetitive theme.....so T Boy of me
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post 25th October 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #61
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Oct 25 2014, 02:22 PM) *
Natalia Kills - I was expecting her to make quite a splash in 2010/2011 but she only ever made a chart appearance as a feature on a flop LMFAO single. sad.gif

and even then her voice was auto tuned to the extent that it could have literally been anyone singing it laugh.gif

let's not forget she did actually have a chart hit back in 2005, the #11 'Don't Play Nice' as Verbalicious
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th October 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #62
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(►▲N @ Oct 25 2014, 02:26 PM) *
let's not forget she did actually have a chart hit back in 2005, the #11 'Don't Play Nice' as Verbalicious

Oh good heavens. drama.gif

Yeah, it's a real shame they manipulated her voice so much on the LMFAO track. I feel bad for Natalia, she literally tried everything to make it and failed every time. Akon produced first single to be her 'Just Dance', featuring Will.U.Stop on a single who could usually sell anything with his name on it in the UK and then you'd think featuring on the follow-up to the massive 'Party Rock Anthem' would surely get you that much needed exposure if all else failed? Nope.

+Quote this post
danG
post 25th October 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #63
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

a will.i.am feature doesn't make everything a hit single, just look at poor Leah McFall sad.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 25th October 2014, 01:44 PM
Post #64
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Sky Ferreira

+Quote this post
girlsaloudjunkie
post 25th October 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #65
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 5,073

Girlicious - Maniac & 2 In The Morning were BANGERS
Mini Viva - One Touch is pop perfection
Neon Hitch - f*** U Betta & Get Over U were brill
Phixx - Hold On Me & Love Revolution were absolute JAMS
The Presets - They had the 1 HUGE album in Australia, would've thought they'd crossover with it into the UK too

+Quote this post
jazzy_765
post 25th October 2014, 11:20 PM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 13,730

Nikki & The Dove !!!

Thought 'DJ Ease My Mind' would be pretty big!!

+Quote this post
Luciano
post 26th October 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 96

White Lies sad.gif They gained a bit of momentum with the whole Death/To Lose My Life singles hype and the album did go to No.1 but that was it cry.gif

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 14th August 2022, 07:03 PM
Post #68
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Soz for the bump but it’s been 8 years and there are plenty more artists to discuss.

The one that prompted me to bump is Jack Garratt. His second album in particular is a masterpiece and he had solid Radio 1 support but for some reason people haven’t taken to him which I feel is a massive shame.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 14th August 2022, 08:01 PM
Post #69
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Dominic Fike sad.gif(

He’s definitely still got time though I think, he’s only 26 and is currently starting in Euphoria.

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 14th August 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #70
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA
Pronouns: he/him
User: 153,406

Khalid, sucseessful 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 Then 2021 - dead. Even his new marshmello collab wgich is top 10 in canada and near top 40 usa hasn't graced the uk charts yet

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 14th August 2022, 08:23 PM
Post #71
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

QUOTE(Y @ Aug 14 2022, 09:22 PM) *
Khalid, sucseessful 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 Then 2021 - dead. Even his new marshmello collab wgich is top 10 in canada and near top 40 usa hasn't graced the uk charts yet

He may have fallen off a bit, but Khalid is absolutely an artist that ‘happened’.

Even now he still has 49 million monthly listeners!

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post 14th August 2022, 08:24 PM
Post #72
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665

QUOTE(►▲N @ Oct 25 2014, 02:26 PM) *
and even then her voice was auto tuned to the extent that it could have literally been anyone singing it laugh.gif

The thing is that Don't Play Nice and Champagne Showers were both at the low end of the top 200 in the year-end charts. So I would say they were roughly equal sized hits. Obviously Champagne Showers following on from Party Rock Anthem could/should have been a lot bigger, but if you ignore that then I don't think there's that much difference between them (certainly not a "hit" and "flop" sized difference).

Someone did a countdown on here of all the follow-up singles of #1 hits that missed the top 20, and Champagne Showers was actually one of the best performing of the whole bunch.

Natalia Kills became famous in the end because of the X Factor scandal though. laugh.gif I've actually researched into this incident a lot and I'm 99% sure now that she was set up. X Factor was absolutely brutal like that, they care only about their ratings.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 14th August 2022, 08:25 PM
Post #73
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

I know she featured on dance songs that were hits but Ella Eyre might as well be included here now. In comparison to Jess Glynne who released her first single on the same week I think. She's really not had any success with any of her solo stuff.

This post has been edited by Roba.: 14th August 2022, 08:27 PM

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 14th August 2022, 08:42 PM
Post #74
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA
User: 153,406

QUOTE(jafetsigfinns @ Oct 20 2014, 10:58 AM) *
Oof, so many examples so this is going to be loooon.. Some of these regard all of Europe and not just the UK..

Agnes (After 'Release Me' was a smash, it would have been spectacular if she had continued that success .. especially with 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' and 'One Last Time'!! *.*)
Agnes Obel (Surprised that her albums haven't at least managed to sell well here..)
Aiden Grimshaw (Definitely one of the best X Factor artists to date!)
Alexis Jordan ('Happiness' is a tuuuuuune!! I so expected her to become much bigger than just two top 10 hits and then g'bye :{)
Amerie/Ameriie (First two mainstream albums (discounting All I have which did nothing commercially) were good but 2009's 'In Love & War' was absolutely amazing! 'Heard Em All' and 'Higher' should have been huge!)
Austin Mahone (Way cuter than JB and makes great music .. definitely surprised he hasn't done better)
Birdy (Still baffles me that Skinny Love was her only song from her first album to make the Top 20 .. 'Shelter' and 'People Help..' are sooo good! 'Wings' is also very good and deserved more than a 16-17-39-67-OUT chart run)
Bonnie McKee ('American Girl' is one of my favorite pop songs of all time tbh! So catchy and would have been huge if released by someone already famous. Don't get why she isn't famous though -- she has the look, and she has a great voice and she's already proven she can write amazing music (most of KP's catalogue for example)
Booty Luv ('Boogie 2nite' was huge, but the rest all just barely made Top 20. 'Some Kinda Rush' was a masterpiece!)
Capital Cities (How did they flop so hard last year? Doesn't make any sense..)
Cher Lloyd (Sure she was kinda successful in 2011, but Sorry I'm Late is criminally underrated! So many excellent single choices on that album!)
Delilah ('Go', 'Love You So', 'Inside My Love', etc, etc .. so many great songs, yet so little recognition)
Diana Vickers ('Cinderella' is super-cute, and 'Music To Make Boys Cry' (the song) is pop perfection!)
Emiliana Torrini (I am still surprised she never became big outside of Iceland, especially after 'Fisherman's Woman' .. 'Jungle Drum' was big in mainland Europe though, but that's about it.. 'To Be Free' and 'Speed Of Dark' are my favorites so far..)
Empire Of The Sun (I don't get why they aren't bigger..)
Eva Simons (I so expected her to become huge after 'Silly Boy' and then again expected her to at least chart with 'I Don't Like You'..)
Foster The People (Only one Top 75 entry ever?! WHAT?)
Frank Ocean ('Thinkin Bout You' and 'Pyramid' are amazing and 'Lost' just sounds like a readymade radio smash!)
GusGus (So many awesome electronic masterpieces such as 'David' and 'Within You' should have at least managed to make some sort of splashes over the pond)
Hurts ('Wonderful Life' should have been a smash, and 'Stay' would have been a great follow-up Top 5 - many more great songs on the 1st album and 2nd album is also very good!)
Icona Pop (They have had so many more great popgasmic singles since 'I Love It' but have still not really bothered any chart since..)
Jessie Ware (Obvious choice)
Karmin (Honestly expected them to be huge after 'Broken Hearted' and especially after hearing 'Hello' but nope. 'Acapella' is also amazing and they have such great chemistry.)
Kate Ryan (How did 'Ella Elle L'a' not manage to chart? That still feels so strange to me as Brits are very used to taking summer vacation hits back home with them in the fall and as someone who went to Spain in 2008: this was HUGE there!)
Kyla La Grange ('Cut Your Teeth' and 'The Knife' are both amazing! Should have been at least Top 20 hits)
Lea Michele (Definitely could have seen 'Cannonball' and 'On My Way' being big hot pop numbers)
Little Boots (Obvious choice)
Loreen (Well, I never really thought she'd be big in the UK but am surprised she hasn't really had any hits ince Euphoria in mainland Europe!)
Lykke Li (Especially regarding 'I Follow Rivers')
Marina & the Diamonds (Obvious choice)
Marlon Roudette ('New Age' could have been big in the UK, same goes for 'When The Beat Drops Out')
Matrix & Futurebound (Four top 40 hits but only one of those made the Top 20 (and actually top 10 which is awesome) but they have consistenly made great single choice so I am not really getting why these songs weren't bigger! 'Don't Look Back' deserved so much more than just 2 weeks in the Top 75!)
Medina (Even though she sounds much better in danish, she's also highly commercial in english and I don't understand why she isn't big outside of Denmark (and Iceland).)
Mia Martina (Great electropop artist that deserves much more recognition outside of Canada)
Mika (Honestly surprised he died out after his first album)
Mike Posner (So much potential flushed down the drain after 'Cooler Than Me' .. 'Please Don't Go' was a masterpiece ahead of its' time!)
Molly Smitten-Downes (Eurovision aside, that voice should be the voice of a big star! She also has a really cool look so I'm honestly stumped!)
Natalia Kills (Obvious choice)
Of Monsters and Men (Little Talks isn't even in my top 5 of their best songs so far but it's still so amazing! 'King & Lionheart' and 'Dirty Paws' deserved some recognition as well!)
Rebecca & Fiona (Maybe not highly commercial but still so good - would have expected at least one Top 75 appearance)
Robyn (This is hard to say because she's had 13 Top 75 entries so far, but none of them have really stuck around except 'With Every Heartbeat' so it feels like most of them just got there based on their fanbase. 'Body Talk' is one of the best pop albums of the 2010s and she should have much more longevity than she really does)
September (Released a lot of great songs after 'Cry For You'! Expected her to have at least similar success to Cascada)
Sharon Doorson (Similar to Eva Simons (not just because they're both Dutch) she has a lot of star potential and should be a lot bigger .. especially with 'Fail In Love')
Skylar Grey (Lent her voice to so many projects yet most people don't know her for shit and her solo material continually flops .. criminal!)
Stromae (I get that foreign acts are hard to sell in the UK but how in the world has nothing from 'Racine Carée' even made the Top 200?! The album hasn't even charted!)
Tegan & Sara (both 'Closer' and 'I Was A Fool' deserved to smash!)
Troye Sivan (OK I admit I'm basing this on one song but how 'Happy Little Pill' failed to chart in the Top 75 is beyond me.)
Wilkinson (Should be as big as Rudimental or something, but has only had one Top 20 hit so far.. 'Half Light' is amazing and deserves much better than #25.

Dami Im/Guy Sebastian/Jessica Mauboy/Samantha Jade (Australia has spawned some GREAT pop artists and it's really strange that none of them have even scratched the UK top 200. These are just the ones I could think of right now. 'Alive' (Dami), 'Battle Scars' (Guy), 'Running Back' (Jess) and 'What You've Done To Me' (Sam) would all have made sense as UK hits)

Also really don't get why Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez continually struggle to have longevity with their hits as they always just seem to fall really quickly after entering.

2022 update:

Jessie Ware's last record was her highest charting ever. in 2016 Mike Posner scored a 4 week no. 1 single. This year Wilkinson continued to show his relevance by scoring a top 40 single. in 2019 Troye Sivan scored a top 10. Medina scored a top 20 in 2018. in 2016 Frank Ocean scored a no. 1 album with "Blonde".

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 14th August 2022, 08:44 PM
Post #75
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

In the UK, Sheppard and Colbie Caillat, each had one minor hit and one minor album here and are two of my favourite ever artists.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th August 2022, 09:29 PM
Post #76
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Interesting thread to read back, was wondering if there would be many names here that did go on to have bigger success in later years and... not really for the most part, apart from Mike Posner becoming a one hit wonder a second time. Although fun to see someone identifying the hit potential of Frank Ocean's 'Lost' about 8 years early (sort of, I mean it did chart on its original release but was bigger this year than ever before).

Rina Sawayama would seem to be the obvious choice for a bump of this thread x

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 14th August 2022, 10:28 PM
Post #77
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Ciaran Lavery - artist who has quite a lot of streams on Spotify but has never had anything near a hit in the UK

+Quote this post
conorw
post 14th August 2022, 10:54 PM
Post #78
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 137,667

Maisie Peters! She's had 4 UK top 100 singles, one of which spent 11 weeks on chart, but she hasn't had a "hit" as such, and even her album only spent 2 weeks on chart after debuting and peaking at #2! She is so slept on and deserves success, but for now I think she fits this category

+Quote this post
Smint
post 14th August 2022, 11:07 PM
Post #79
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

I'd go for Aimee Mann - absolutely outstanding singer/songwriter with amazing melodic songs with real lyrical depth but has never had a top 40 single (came closest with the ultra catchy 'I Should've known' making no. 45 on re-issue) and she's only once clipped the top 40 in the albums with her debut 'Whatever' making no.39.
She was also very prominently featured througout the film Magnolia including getting several A list actors singing along to her song 'Wise Up'

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 14th August 2022, 11:10 PM
Post #80
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

Yeah, I would say the two that immediately sprang to mind for me are Rina and Maisie. Possibly also HRVY - not saying he should be massive or anything but he's released a hell of a lot of singles by this point, including several bops, and still hasn't made the top 40. '1 Day 2 Nights' should have been huge. I'm surprised he hasn't even scored a hit as a featured artist tbh.

To a lesser extent I'd also nominate Grace Carter for this. Her first few singles were incredible, she was getting good R1 support and I really thought she was gonna blow up, then out of nowhere R1 just stopped playlisting her and I still don't really get why. The result? Not a single top 100 hit to her name and she's pretty much faded into obscurity now. She's released two singles since 2019. Such wasted talent.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:51 AM