BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Abeltesfayeton National Thread, BJSC 164 | Justice - Incognito
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Y'all Starlight
post 22nd May 2023, 06:02 PM
Post #1
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA
Pronouns: he/him
User: 153,406

Introducing...
ABELTESFAYTON

Capital City: Kiss Landia

Other Cities: Idolvania, Sidewalks, City Of Balloons, Dawndeen, Starburgh, Las Populas

Palace: The Hills

Supreme Leader: Abel Tesfaye

Queen: Simi Khadra

Friends of The Realm: Ariana Grande, Lana Del Rey, Metro Boomin, Mike Dean, Doja Cat, Future, Kendrick Lamar, KAYTRANADA & Daft Punk (RIP).

Sworn Enemies Of The Realm: Justin Bieber

BJSC Stats/Results

BJSC 152 | TCTS | Never Know | Semi Final (1) | 36/36 | 19 Points | Final | DNQ | N/A
BJSC 155 | KAYTRANADA (feat. Mach-Hommy) | $payforhaiti | Semi Final (2) | 24/30 | 38 Points | Final | DNQ | N/A
BJSC 156 | Kenny Mason | DRACULA | Semi Final (1) | 23/31 | 36 Points | Final | DNQ | N/A
BJSC 157 | McKinley Dixon | Run, Run, Run | Semi Final (1) | 13/30 | 69 Points | Final | 28th | 153 Points
BJSC 158 | Alan Palomo feat. Flore Benguigui | Meutričre | Semi Final (2) | 24/32 | 43 Points | Final | DNQ | N/A
BJSC 159 | Aaron Hibell | Destroyer Of Worlds | Semi Final (2) | 09/31 | 76 Points | Final | 16th | 187 Points
BJSC 160 | 1991 | Chant | Semi Final (1) | 08/29 | 79 Points | Final | 10th | 185 Points
BJSC 161 | Neon Indian | Slumlord/Slumlord's Re-Lease | Semi Final (2) | 02/29 | 113 Points | Final | 6th | 237 Points
BJSC 162 | Hunnygloss | Crimson | Semi Final (2) | 08/29 | 79 Points | Final | 26th | 160 Points
BJSC 163 | Dog Race | It's The Squeeze | Semi Final (1) | 20/32 | 50 Points | Final | 12th | 214 Points
BJSC 164 | Justice | Incognito | Semi Final (2) | TBA/TBA | TBA Points | Final | TBA | TBA Points

Other Stats/Results

BJSC Spin-Offs

Foreign Language III: English Be Gone | Altin Gün | Doktor Civanım | 5th | 81 Points
Instrumentals II | Nicholas Britell | Succession (Main Title Theme) | 25th | 18 Points
Xmas V | The Killers, Elton John & Neil Tennant | Joseph, Better You Than Me | 23rd | 42 Points

PFSC

PFSC XII: Latin Bops | Danny Ocean & TINI | Tu No Me Conoces | 15th | 30 Points
PFSC XIII: Remixed | Miguel | Waves (Tame Impala Remix) | 12th | 70 Points
PFSC XIV: PFSC Goes Dark | Mareux | Little Lies | 5th | 85 Points
PFSC Special II: Best Pop Of 2023 | Nothing But Thieves | Welcome To The DCC | 1st | 128 Points

Nuggets

Nuggets XV | Ekkstacy | I Just Want To Hide My Face | 11th | 71 Points
Nuggets XVI | MAY-A | Something Familiar | 11th | 66 Points

Unknown Pleasures

Unknown Pleasures XXXII | Goth Babe | Alone In The Mountains | 26th | 40 Points
Unknown Pleasures XXXIII | Surfing | Lifetime | 32nd | 35 Points

Club Bizarre

Club Bizarre XXIII: Big Energy | Subsonic & Aleya Mae | Launchpad | 20th | 25 Points
Club Bizarre XXIV: Eurodance & Trance II | T.H.K. | France (Mars Mix) | 20th | 34 Points
Club Bizarre XXV: Techno & Artistic/Experimental Electronica | Geo22 | Alchemy | 18th | 41 Points
Club Bizarre XXVI: Piano | Etienne Nogues | Piano In Trance | 19th | 39 Points

________________________________________________________________________________
__

2024 BJSC Entries

BJSC 161:

Neon Indian - Slumlord/Slumlord's Re-Lease

Average Semi-Final Prediction: Q

Semi-Final (2) Position - 02/29 (Q) | 113 Points

Final Position: 6th | 237 Points

BJSC 162:

Hunnygloss - Crimson

Semi-Final (2) 08/29 (Q) | 79 Points

Final Position: 26th | 160 Points

BJSC 163:

Dog Race - It's The Squeeze

Semi-Final (1) 20/32 (Q) | 50 Points

Final Position: 12th | 214 Points

The 2023 Megamix: https://rave.dj/Gw3ADlN-TuWLWg
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 22nd May 2023, 11:18 PM
Post #2
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

and that's on what? PERIOD

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 25th May 2023, 11:20 AM
Post #3
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

BJSC 155

KAYTRANADA - $prayforhaiti (feat. Mach-Hommy)

Album Track from Intimidated

Thoughts: So, my entry for BJSC 155 is '$prayforhaiti' by KAYTRANADA & Mach-Hommy. KAYTRANADA is one of my favourite artists of all time so i've enjoyed the fact that i have been able to enter his music. He's supporting The Weeknd this summer so it will be great to see him live.

Background Info

KAYTRANADA:

Louis Kevin Celestin, more commonly known as KAYTRANADA is a highly-esteemed Haitian-Canadian electronic, hip-hop, funk and house producer. He began to make his name in 2010 releasing a series of mixtapes under the pseudonym Kaytradamus. In total during 2010-2012 he released 7 mixtapes, a collaborative studio album with his brother (Under the group name 'The Celestics' and 4 EPs under that pseudonym.

At the end of 2012 he officially became KAYTRANADA, despite this name change he still continued to release mixtapes and singles frequently including producing for Juno-award nominated rapper Koriass. 2014 was his breakout, he started to become properly known. It started with production for some huge names including GoldLink, Vic Mensa and legendary hip-hop duo Mobb Depp. He topped off the year featuring in MixMag magazine and scoring a record deal with XL Recordings. 2015 was another big year, producing for the likes of Amine (A collaborator who would be vital in the rest of his career), Freddie Gibbs and Kali Uchis. He also featured on The Internet's song 'Girl', a song which has over 128 million streams on Spotify. He finished the year winning a SOCAN award and playing to over 12,000 people twice after he got a prestigious slot for supporting Madonna on tour.

2016 was the time for him to put a spotlight on his own music. That May he released his debut album '99.9%'. The record featured a broad array of talent from across the globe, including Craig David, AlunaGeorge & Anderson .Paak. The album was a critical success appearing on Pitchfork's, The Guardian's and The Independent's year-end album lists. The album managed him to attain the Polaris Music Prize, an Abilu Music Award and a Juno Award. For the rest of the year he continued to increase his list of collaborators through his production, adding the likes of Chance The Rapper and Katy B to it.

Between 2017 and 2019 KAYTRADADA was silent on the solo music front, he also started produce a bit less for well-known artists. However this was all worth it when he dropped his sophomore record 'Bubba' in December 2019. The record expanded on the House and Techno elements of '99.9%'. The record was once more a critical success winning him his first two Grammy Awards. He returned in 2021 with his 'Intimidated' EP. The title track which features H.E.R. became his biggest hit of his career so far (and scored him another Grammy Nomination).

This year he released a collaborative LP with Amine, showing how he has stayed loyal to his collaborators.

Mach-Hommy:

Mach-Hommy is a Haitian-American rapper from New Jersey, he is influenced by the likes of William Shakespeare. He came onto the scene in 2004 and has released 26 studio albums (Including a collaborative project with Earl Sweatshirt) and 18 EPs. Over his time he has collaborated with the likes of Conway The Machine, Westside Gunn & Knxwledge. As a result of his work ethic and elusiveness Mach-Hommy has garnered a cult following, this was boosted by his critically acclaimed 2021 album 'Pray For Haiti'.

This post has been edited by Y'all Starlight: 18th June 2023, 07:34 AM

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 26th May 2023, 01:44 PM
Post #4
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

The first predictions are in where i'm classed as "Borderline Out" sad.gif

This post has been edited by Y'all Starlight: 28th May 2023, 04:10 PM

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 1st June 2023, 06:47 PM
Post #5
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

My position is in, Abeltesfayeton came 24th in the semis!!!!! A DNQ but still double the points of what i received in BJSC 152.

This post has been edited by Y'all Starlight: 14th July 2023, 04:52 PM

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st June 2023, 07:10 PM
Post #6
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Really enjoyed this entry, KAYTRANADA is reliably fab as a producer but this was my first time hearing Mach-Hommy, have seen the name a lot but never checked out any of his music, he reminds me a lot of GoldLink!

Hope you can get a qualifier soon x

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 17th July 2023, 07:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

BJSC 156

Kenny Mason - DRACULA

1st Single from 6

Thoughts: So, my entry for BJSC 156 is 'DRACULA' by Kenny Mason, Halloween has indeed come early! I first discovered Kenny Mason in 2021 after he featured on British-American rapper IDK's album 'USee4Yourself'. Since then I have come to very much enjoy his music, especially his feature on JID's 'Dance Now' (Arguably SOTY for 2022).

Background Info

Kenny Mason:

Edwin Kenneth Green Jr., more commonly known as Kenny Mason is a acclaimed American rapper, singer & songwriter hailing from West Atlanta, Georgia. Green is known for his unique blend of Grunge, Hip-hop and even Shoegaze within his music, he has been releasing music since 2014. Green has citied the likes of Kendrick Lamar, My Chemical Romance, Lil Wayne, The Smashing Pumpkins and most importantly, Coldplay as his main influences.

He began his music career by forming a group with his friends called House 9. Between 2014 and 2016 House 9 released three mixtapes, during this period of time Green also started to launch his solo career. He released six mixtapes in the same time-frame which laid the foundations for the type of music Green makes to this date. Green released a few singles between 2016 and 2018 but 2019 would be his breakout year. In the October of that year he released 'Hit', the song was a breakthrough for him. It currently has over 14 million streams on Spotify and its music video has gained over 5.5 million views as of July 2023.

Green went from power to power in 2020, releasing his debut album 'Angelic Hoodrat' to critical acclaim. He also used his success to collaborate with the likes of Denzel Curry, IDK and fellow Grammy-nominated rhymer JID. In 2021 he continued to release new music, most notably a deluxe edition of 'Angelic Hoodrat' was released. He also collaborated once again with Denzel Curry (alongside Kenny Beats) on his 'Unlocked 1.5' remix album. He also featured on a song for the video game franchise League Of Legends. 2022 has provided Kenny with his biggest hits to date. Firstly he featured on Dreamvile's 'Stick' which also featured J. Cole, JID & Sheck Wes, secondly he provided two features to JID's album 'The Forever Story' including 'Dance Now' which has nearly garnered 65 million streams on Spotify since its release in August 2022.

This year he is preparing to release his sophomore record '9', in anticipation for the record he has released projects 'pr3', '3' and '6'.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 17th July 2023, 07:17 PM
Post #8
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I sent 'Rih' by Kenny Mason to a contest on here a couple of years ago (not one of the main contests, it was a spinoff we do occasionally called BJFestivalen which has a different format), surprised but pleased to see him making another appearance! I've not listened to this song from him yet but he has plenty of bangers (also originally discovered him via the IDK/J.I.D feature).

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 25th July 2023, 09:19 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587

I really hope you catch a break soon, I need to see Abeltesfayeton in a BJSC final where they belong!

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 25th July 2023, 09:27 AM
Post #10
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

BJSC 156 Results

So once again the end of the road for Abeltesfayeton is at the sem-finals, and I still maintain my perfect 100% DNQ record lol. We came 23rd out of 31 Participants in SF1 which is an all-time high for the nation cheer.gif !

Pestolia, Harmonica, Danaevila, Persephonia, Kluminican Republic, Kathaldazia, Jupiterdonia & Trifoski. Thank You for voting for us

This post has been edited by Y'all Starlight: 25th July 2023, 09:28 AM

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 19th August 2023, 08:00 PM
Post #11
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

BJSC 157

McKinley Dixon - Run, Run, Run

3rd Single from Beloved! Paradise! Jazz!?

Thoughts: So, my entry for BJSC 157 is 'Run, Run, Run' by McKinley Dixon. I first came across McKinley Dixon after discovering that his album 'For My Mama and Anyone Who Look Like Her' received an A rating from Consequence. Since then I have fallen in love with his music, especially his latest album 'Beloved! Paradise! Jazz!?'. It is a must listen!

Background Info

McKinley Dixon:

McKinley Dixon is an American rapper, singer, songwriter & producer hailing from Richmond, Virginia. He is best known for his critically acclaimed blend of conscious hip-hop and jazz. While he was at university Dixon began to make music, releasing his first two studio albums in 2016 and 2018. His talents began to be picked up by publications in 2021 following the release of his 3rd studio album which received critical acclaim from the likes of Consequence, Exclaim! and Beats Per Minute. In 2023 he returned with his 4th studio album which immediately received universal acclaim, including a 9/10 score from 'the internet's busiest music nerd' Anthony Fantano. The record also proved to be a minor commercial success, the album in full has accumulated over 1.5 million Spotify streams since its release in early June. In the future Dixon will only grow off on these successes, he is certainly one to watch in the broad world of hip-hop.

This post has been edited by Y'all Starlight: 19th August 2023, 08:05 PM

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 27th August 2023, 07:36 PM
Post #12
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

We qualified.........

I'm in total shock right now

Thanks so much to the voters

+Quote this post
calxyum
post 27th August 2023, 07:53 PM
Post #13
Group icon
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
User: 20,799

Congratz on your first Q! Looking forward to hearing it in the finale cheer.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 27th August 2023, 08:01 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Well done - always good to see someone Q for the first time happy.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 27th August 2023, 08:14 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587

Happy for you and that I could help you in a small way get to the final! smile.gif

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 2nd September 2023, 08:30 AM
Post #16
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

BJSC Foreign Language III Spin-Off Results:

Abeltesfayeton recently competed in their first ever BJSC Spin-Off and we have received a incredible result! I decided to send Turkish rock band Altin Gün's 'Doktor Civanım' from their latest album.

I actually can't believe came 5th with this (Joint 4th on points but more nations voted for Sovarasma).

Many thanks to: The Spodic Empire, Eastovka, Scotland 2, Pestolia, Jadakissnia, Terra Avium & Aesthetica for the votes!

Lots of thanks to Bronzil, Danćvila, Persephonia, Séyetana & Skall for the Bronzes

And thank you so much Břtanikkä for the gold!

Final Result: 5th
Total Points: 81 Points

This post has been edited by Y'all Starlight: 2nd September 2023, 08:37 AM

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 5th September 2023, 08:18 PM
Post #17
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

BJSC 157 Results

In our first ever final we came 28th cheer.gif. A really solid result for a rap(ish) entry imo! We also scored a whopping 153 points and we were only 16 points from the top 20.

Thank you for voting for us Aesthetica, Danćvila, Fljótavík, Ingermanlandia, Jadakissnia, Lotunia, Nelionoir, Pagasa, Persephonia, Pestolia, Quintessa, Republic Of Adonia, Scotland 2, Singerpurear, Sovarasma, Terra Avium, Wholune, Yobnedorica & Zanmatony!

A huge thank you to Cumulonimbia & Séyetana for the silvers!

And big up Trifoski for the gold!!!!!!!!

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 18th September 2023, 06:58 PM
Post #18
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

BJSC 158

Alan Palomo feat. Flore Benguigui - Meutričre

3rd Single from World Of Hassle

Thoughts: So, my entry for BJSC 158 is 'Meutričre' by Alan Palomo & Flore Benguigui. I'm sure some people here have heard of Neon Indian, Alan Palomo is/was the frontman of the band up until now. I've known and loved their music for many years so I was very excited to discover that Palomo was embarking on his solo career, and I was not disappointed...

He also did an excellent TED talk on auteurs which i'll link below.

Background Info

Alan Palomo:

Alan Palomo is a Mexican-American singer, producer, songwriter, director and synth god hailing from Monterrey. Palomo is best known for his many works as the frontman and lead vocalist of influential 2010's texan electronic band Neon Indian. Neon Indian was formed in 2008 and they received critical acclaim right from the get-go. Their first album was released in 2009, It was quickly picked up on by Pitchfork who awarded it the 'best new music' title and a generous 8.6 out of 10. Their sophomore record was the one that shot them to success though. It arrived two years later. It would once again receive critical acclaim (inc. two 8/10 ratings by both NME & Clash), but this time it also earned them commercial success. The album charted at #74 on the Billboard 200 marking a turning point for the band. The record also features 'Polish Girl' which recently surpassed 70 million streams on Spotify. They left the gap a big longer with their third (and last as of 2023) offering which once more achieved all-round acclaim for the band.

Since then Palomo has began to embark on his solo career. He released his debut single 'Nudista Mundial 89' in May this year, the song featured Mac DeMarco. He released several more single in the lead up to his debut album which was released on Friday.

Flore Benguigui:

Flore Benguigui is a French singer who represents one sixth of pop and nu-disco band L'Impératrice. L'Impératrice have scored huge successes in the past and have hundreds of millions of plays on Spotify to their name.

This post has been edited by Y'all Starlight: 18th September 2023, 07:06 PM

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 24th September 2023, 08:31 PM
Post #19
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

BJSC 158 Results

Once again we DNQed..... We came 24th on 43 points.

I'm actually quite saddened by this one, I have come to LOVE this song so much but i'm not surprised we didn't qualify. The competition was so, so high in my semi.

Thank you so much to: Pestolia, Greenfroze, Terra Avium, Singerpurear, Eastovka, Trifoski (extra thanks for the Bronze), Aesthetica, Quintessa, Neliönoir, Rolloland & Lotunia for the votes.

I promise we'll come back stronger next time smile.gif

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 24th October 2023, 07:29 PM
Post #20
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA

BJSC 159

Aaron Hibell - Destroyer Of Worlds

1st Single from Twilight Zone

Thoughts: So, my entry for BJSC 159 is Aaron Hibell's Robert Oppenheimer sampling trance banger 'Destroyer Of Worlds'. I really admire how this song perfectly balances being eerie and being a banger

Background Info

Aaron Hibell:

Aaron Hibell is a highly talented and accomplished music producer known for his exceptional skills in the industry. With a keen ear for sound and a deep understanding of music production techniques, Hibell has consistently delivered top-notch productions that captivate listeners. His ability to blend various genres and styles seamlessly has earned him recognition and respect within the music community.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 06:07 PM