BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

> 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dirca's Top 350 of 2020, A little bit of excess
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Dircadirca
post Tuesday, 06:49 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

Hey I just impulse decided to do this. I have a way too large list of my favourite stuff for all of the 2010s, but I figured if I'm gonna post one of these two things, I'll go for the one that will go out of style sooner (well I mean I don't know if 2010s lists are still in fashion, but I'm sure the tipping point isn't in the midst of 2021).

Anyway I like listening to music a bit as you tend to do. I'm relatively thorough about finding things I like which means that I have a tendency to flock to stuff that is so niche, the artists in question have less Twitter followers than me. That is in addition to the occasional fling with stuff that is extremely popular and doesn't at all need my affirmation. The two worlds work in tandem to validate each other though. The stuff I like is not limited to what's on this list but you have to stop counting somewhere. Either way I'll try to breeze through the bottom section relatively quickly and put more into the top stuff which warrants more effort.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Tuesday, 06:49 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

350. Boo Seeka - Take A Look
349. Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am
348. Juice WRLD (feat Trippie Redd) - Tell Me U Luv Me
347. Clea - Sugar
346. Travis Scott (feat Young Thug & M.I.A.) - FRANCHISE
345. The Kid LAROI (feat Juice WRLD) - GO
344. Jax Jones & Au/Ra - I miss u
343. Jonsi - Swill
342. BENEE (feat Grimes) - Sheesh
341. Joji - Run
340. Liza Anne - Bad Vacation
339. Skegss - Fantasising
338. Bring Me The Horizon - Parasite Eve
337. leftprojects - Flow
336. Run The Jewels (feat Pharrell Williams & Zack De La Rocha) - JU$T
335. Future Islands - For Sure
334. ONEFOUR (feat A$AP Ferg) - Say It Again
333. Louis The Child (feat Foster The People) - Every Color
332. Bryson Tiller (feat Drake) - Outta Time
331. GRAACE - Body Language
330. Banoffee - Count On You
329. Chloe Lilac - Here's Your Song
328. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Intrasport
327. H.E.R. - Damage
326. Lil Baby (feat 42 Dugg) - We Paid
325. Pink Sweat$ - Not Alright
324. Royal Blood - Trouble's Coming
323. Run The Jewels (feat Mavis Staples & Josh Homme) - pulling the pin
322. Kllo - Insomnia
321. tobi lou - Endorphins
320. Ashnikko - Daisy
319. Rina Sawayama - Chosen Family
318. Dizzee Rascal - Body Loose
317. Taylor Swift - mirrorball
316. Tired Lion - ~cya later~
315. Tinashe - Rascal (Superstar)
314. SAYGRACE - Feel Good
313. Megan Thee Stallion - Savage
312. BENEE - Kool
311. Spillage Village with JID & EARTHGANG (feat Jurdan Bryant, Mereba & Hollywood JB) - End Of Daze
310. Yves Tumor - Kerosene!
309. SAYGRACE - Gone
308. The 1975 - Me & You Together Song
307. JOEY DJIA - You.
306. Sycco - Nicotine
305. Jack River - Dark Star
304. Megan Thee Stallion - Girls In The Hood
303. Fiona Apple - Heavy Balloon
302. Woodes - Dancing In The Rain
301. ROLE MODEL - alive

Billie Eilish released 3 singles in 2020, one of which is Sir Not Appearing In This List while "Therefore I Am" takes solace as the low but secure middle child. Juice WRLD also proves strangely prolific on this list after my rocky initial feelings on his music. Jonsi pulls the rare feat of maintaining arbitrary relevance across 4 different decades, though BENEE has already managed 2 decades in a significantly shorter span which probably feels unfair. Future Islands pull the classic trick of releasing a mild replica of their biggest hit to some successful effect. Drake put out some pretty good singles this year but his only appearance at all is his guest spot on a chill Bryson Tiller cut, which itself is an offbrand inclusion since that album also has a sample of my favourite Flight Facilities (of my avatar fame) song. GRAACE is not to be confused with R.W. Grace who was originally called Grace until SAYGRACE had a worldwide hit, making R.W. Grace change her name to reduce confusion, although now SAYGRACE has changed hers. SAYGRACE has appeared in an older list of mine but now all 3 of Australia's Graces have had a turn, though there's a higher Australian Grace in the list. Got all that? King Gizzard make their obligatory appearance by virtue of releasing more music than anyone can keep up with. Lil Baby turns up on this list far more frequently than anyone could have predicted, though not quite as much as Rina Sawayama or Taylor Swift which will eventually be quite clear. I usually don't even give hit remixes the dignity of ever listening to them, though I will admit that the "Savage" remix being comparatively unavoidable has warmed it to me. I think the best version of the song is a middle evolution that has Beyonce, but not that much Beyonce, so for the time being I take the original. I just learnt in researching my red text that JOEY DJIA is actually Joelle who competed on Australian X Factor in 2013 and had a top 40 hit single covering Concrete Blonde's "Joey". The 1975 prey on my love of jangle pop while Sycco gets in with a song that I first heard as radio filler but had it grow on me quite a bit after I took to another song of hers, much, much later in this list.

+Quote Post
SevenSeize
post Tuesday, 10:31 PM
Post #3
i don't believe in dinosaurs, but i know ghosts are real
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 14,428
   No Gallery Pics

350 *.* i'll make sure to keep up with this

Intrasport was an instant highlight from the last King Gizz record! and Parasite Eve is iconic too of course

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Thursday, 02:51 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SevenSeize @ Feb 24 2021, 06:31 AM) *
350 *.* i'll make sure to keep up with this

Intrasport was an instant highlight from the last King Gizz record! and Parasite Eve is iconic too of course

I say this as someone who listened to every album they put out in 2017 but I find it so hard to keep with KG&TLW's discography...in fact just looking up right now is how I learn that they just released ANOTHER album laugh.gif I await the next lead single in March tongue.gif

300. Essie Holt - Lover X Liar
299. ILUKA - Willing To Break
298. Tkay Maidza - My Flowers
297. Amber Mark - Generous
296. FLETCHER - If I Hated You
295. Rina Sawayama - Tokyo Love Hotel
294. Eefje de Visser - Controle
293. Willaris K. - COBAKI SKY
292. Aly & AJ - Joan of Arc on the Dancefloor
291. Fiona Apple - Relay
290. AViVA - HYPNOTIZED
289. Taylor Swift - this is me trying
288. Robbie Miller - I Heard You Say
287. Juice WRLD - Righteous
286. Car Seat Headrest - Can't Cool Me Down
285. Yumi Zouma - Cool For A Second
284. Arca & ROSALIA - KLK
283. Stevie Jean - Bored
282. Lil Rae - Rae Yagami
281. The Avalanches (feat Rivers Cuomo & Pink Siifu) - Running Red Lights
280. Bad Bunny & Jhay Cortez - Dakiti
279. JessB - Pon It
278. Husky - Wristwatch
277. Evie Irie - Little More Love
276. The Strokes - Bad Decisions
275. Sasha Sloan - Matter To You
274. Something for Kate - Situation Room
273. Carla Wehbe - Somebody Loves You
272. Ball Park Music - Cherub
271. Slowly Slowly - Race Car Blues
270. POPPONGENE - Don't Even Know
269. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Cars In Space
268. Eminem (feat Royce Da 5'9", Black Thought, Q-Tip & Denaun) - Yah Yah
267. Sasha Sloan - Lie
266. Ty Dolla $ign (feat Kanye West, FKA twigs & Skrillex) - Ego Death
265. Taylor Swift (feat Haim) - no body, no crime
264. Nick Ward (feat Lontalius) - I Wanna Be Myself Or Nothing At All
263. Madison Beer - Selfish
262. Balu Brigada - nice to have someone to miss
261. Mia Wray - Work For Me
260. Flume (feat Toro y Moi) - The Difference
259. Lilly Carron - Superhuman
258. Lil Baby - Emotionally Scarred
257. JXN - paranoia
256. Hayley Williams - Over Yet
255. Tkay Maidza - 24k
254. DMA'S - Never Before
253. Romy - Lifetime
252. will hyde - meant to be
251. Taylor Swift - august

This is still all so deep in random Spotify discoveries that almost everything that isn't by a clearly recognisable artist not from Australia, is probably one of many New Zealand entries in this section. Or Dutch in Eefje de Visser's case. Willaris K. filled the recent RFS DU SOL void with a similarly sprawling and dense electronic track. I have to thank repeated exposure from friends getting Aly & AJ, Car Seat Headrest & Arca in this list with songs that would have otherwise passed me by. There are borderline elder statesmen in The Avalanches & The Strokes though they're dwarfed by Something for Kate who have been around for quite a bit longer! They hadn't released a new album since 2012 though, in which time Ball Park Music had released about 5 albums. Oddly to me, "Cherub" has become their highest charting single in Australia that nearly made the top 50 despite being a 5 minute slow burner. I'm not remotely about to go to bat for Eminem's latest album but making an extremely '90s posse cut that re-unites Q-Tip with a Busta Rhymes sample is a viable way to reach me. Otherwise Ty Dolla $ign & Flume are competing for both the strangest collaborations and most unlikely route to take them. I never got around to listening to Hayley Williams' album but "Over Yet" stood out a lot to me from what I did hear. Romy makes a bold solo statement, or at least as much as you can make when Jamie xx is still producing it.

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post 15 hours ago
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

250. The Avalanches (feat Jamie xx, Neneh Cherry & CLYPSO) - Wherever You Go
249. Pnau & Ladyhawke - River
248. Rina Sawayama - Snakeskin
247. Sycco - Germs
246. Eefje de Visser - Stilstand
245. Tkay Maidza - PB Jam
244. Le Youth - About Us
243. Young Franco & Pell - Juice
242. Little Mix - Happiness
241. Annie - American Cars
240. Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour
239. The Avalanches (feat Blood Orange) - We Will Always Love You
238. Ariana Grande - love language
237. Tate McRae (feat Lil Mosey) - vicious
236. Megan Thee Stallion (feat Young Thug) - Don't Stop
235. Madison Beer - Stained Glass
234. Rina Sawayama - Comme des Garcons (Like the Boys)
233. Run The Jewels (feat Greg Nice & DJ Premier) - Ooh LA LA
232. LAUREL - Scream Drive Faster
231. Alex Lahey - Sucker For Punishment
230. ONEFOUR (feat The Kid LAROI) - My City
229. Creeper - Cyanide
228. Troye Sivan - Easy
227. Sam Smith - Diamonds
226. Mo'Ju - Put It On Hold
225. ASHWARYA - PSYCHO HOLE
224. Lil Baby - Errbody
223. Pop Smoke - Got It On Me
222. DMA'S - The Glow
221. Run The Jewels - yankee and the brave (ep. 4)
220. Juice WRLD (feat The Weeknd) - Smile
219. Taylor Swift - gold rush
218. The Strokes - Brooklyn Bridge To Chorus
217. Owl Eyes - Invisible Woman
216. The Lazy Eyes - Tangerine
215. Maggie Rogers - Celadon & Gold
214. Taylor Swift - cardigan
213. Bartees Strange - Mustang
212. Fiona Apple - Rack Of His
211. Aitch & AJ Tracey (feat Tay Keith) - Rain
210. Tame Impala - One More Hour
209. Hockey Dad - Heavy Assault
208. Sophiegrophy - Shake
207. Empty Country - Untitled
206. AViVA - Evil
205. Celeste - Stop This Flame
204. The Naked and Famous - Bury Us
203. Disclosure, Kehlani & Syd - Birthday
202. Little Dragon & Moses Sumney - The Other Lover
201. Fontaines D.C. - Televised Mind

Incidentally kicking back off where I left, actual Jamie xx as part of a curious collective on one of the 8 or so singles The Avalanches released. Pnau re-unite with Ladyhawke 13 years after making the monster banger that is "Embrace". Speaking of Australian music in 2007, "Snakeskin", but actually it's unrelated Rina making one of the most bonkers interpolations I've ever heard and making it work. Ariana Grande's new album was pretty good where "love language" stood out to me in particular...incidentally ARIA left it off the chart for no discernable reason. Tate McRae is still riding high on a single from a year ago though I must admit it was some of the follow up singles she put out that I preferred. LAUREL had one of the most surprising entries in the Hottest 100 this year if only because I can only justify its entrance as 'It's really good', but given how artist oriented voting tends to be, it doesn't make much sense to me. Even a Kid LAROI collaboration can't keep a ONEFOUR song from collapsing down the charts but I do find it to be a rare major collaboration that lives up to the hype. I could not possibly advertise ASHWARYA as it is basically a cursed version of "bury a friend" that everyone but me is too cynical to buy into. I'm still waiting for "Got It On Me" to have its turn on the Pop Smoke hit roulette. My most disagreeable opinion is that I still thoroughly dislike "Lucid Dreams" but the cheap soundalike "Smile" hits the right spot for me. Mere hours before twenty one pilots released their single, The Lazy Eyes somehow managed to get in first with their own 2020 song that uses the word 'quarantine' in the lyrics though I think it's just a coincidence ("Germs" earlier in this list was also written pre-covid). The mass spree of Taylor Swift entries ends with "cardigan" as the highest.

This post has been edited by Dircadirca: 15 hours ago

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th February 2021 - 01:31 AM