BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
19 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pseudo-relevant things the Lib Dems are doing
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post Jun 1 2019, 07:20 PM
Post #81
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
It's not the "West Country" tho is it?

I'm over this spin about tuition fees. They had morals. Nobody held a gun to their head and walked them through that lobby. They all did so willingly. They enabled the austerity agenda and for what? The AV Referendum? DISGUSTENG

The whole tuition fees thing has never impacted me. I finished my degree as it was being introduced and I was in Scotland so #Free thanks to the SNP scrapping the graduate tax the LibLab lot swapped tuition fees for. There is no source that provides a figure that she quoted for her constituency. The Govan one was located by CyberUnionists pretty swiftly, but not even they can find anything for East Dunbartonshire that comes within a hundred miles of her BS claim. The whole of Scotland has tried!

I dislike her because she's an overly partisan entitled hypocrite who took losing her seat about as well as someone would take being force-fed bleach. I've zero tolerance for any Scottish politician who just dribbles out #SNPBad rubbish or anti-nationalist shite. None of it is ever backed up with facts or reality. You've got this shitbag and her party standing up and whining about stealth austerity in Scotland and how independence means austerity as if they didn't enable the tory regime in 2010 that has lead to my generation being royally f***ed, brexit and our country lying in ruins. I've no time for it and I had no time for it when I was a LibDem voter pre-austerity.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 1 2019, 08:05 PM
Post #82
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
For what?

How about the pupil premium, shared parental leave, increased personal allowance, various environmental policies, triple lock on pensions and same sex marriage?

That's a pretty good list in my book. Their reward was to be criticised by the NUS for implementing what was very close to NUS policy at the time.

As for austerity, we've seen in the last few years what the Tories would have done with the majority they would probably have won in a second election in 2010/11, It should also be remembered that the coalition reduced the deficit by 50%. That was well short of the Tory target of 100)% but in line with Labour's target. In other words, in order to achieve their target, Labour would have needed to implement measures just as harsh as those implemented by the coalition. Funnily enough, they won't admit that.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 2 2019, 06:59 PM
Post #83
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Jun 1 2019, 08:20 PM) *
It's not the "West Country" tho is it?
I'm over this spin about tuition fees. They had morals. Nobody held a gun to their head and walked them through that lobby. They all did so willingly. They enabled the austerity agenda and for what? The AV Referendum? DISGUSTENG

The whole tuition fees thing has never impacted me. I finished my degree as it was being introduced and I was in Scotland so #Free thanks to the SNP scrapping the graduate tax the LibLab lot swapped tuition fees for. There is no source that provides a figure that she quoted for her constituency. The Govan one was located by CyberUnionists pretty swiftly, but not even they can find anything for East Dunbartonshire that comes within a hundred miles of her BS claim. The whole of Scotland has tried!

I dislike her because she's an overly partisan entitled hypocrite who took losing her seat about as well as someone would take being force-fed bleach. I've zero tolerance for any Scottish politician who just dribbles out #SNPBad rubbish or anti-nationalist shite. None of it is ever backed up with facts or reality. You've got this shitbag and her party standing up and whining about stealth austerity in Scotland and how independence means austerity as if they didn't enable the tory regime in 2010 that has lead to my generation being royally f***ed, brexit and our country lying in ruins. I've no time for it and I had no time for it when I was a LibDem voter pre-austerity.

What Suedey said.

a COALITION IS ABOUT COMPROMISE. That's the whole raison detre and the reason our parliament is in a total mess - nobody knows how to compromise. That s what the EU does. You get some stuff through you dont get other stuff. The LABOUR policy of charging student fees was not a Libdem policy, The TORY decision to raise it to 9000 was tempered by the Libdem making sure that it wasnt a debt it was a future tax on earnings that would only happen on people earning decent cash. Had I been in that situation rather rather than free education I would have barely paid back a penny being as I've never earned enough in local gov service.

By all means slag off the LIbdems for entering into coalition with the biggest party - but that's what a coalition means. The alternative would have been to prop up an unpopular PM and Party and get slagged off for that, both wanting massive cuts and austerity.

Everyone being so f***ing partisan and tunnel-visioned is why we are in a complete mess as a nation and undergoing rigor mortis. Criticising your political opponents is what politicians do. If it's not backed-up you point it out. The SNP do it, The Libdems do it. Everyone does it. Now if you were to give some examples of Jo Swinson being unreasonable (you've given one) then MAYBE you would have a point - assuming that what she says isn;t valid. From what Ive seen she has said is willing to talk and work with any party. Which is something no other party is saying. And we've seen how well that's worked out for us all.....

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jun 2 2019, 07:02 PM
Post #84
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
Maybe its time the subtitle was changed for this thread...the Lib Dems are certainly more relevant now!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jun 3 2019, 05:07 AM
Post #85
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
As a Lib-Dem member (if lapsed due to my expat status) I disagree, our party thread titles are more banter than anything else, and this is fine until we're back to 50+ seats. I'd take 'traitorous Remoaner saboteur things' though.

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jun 2 2019, 06:59 PM) *
Everyone being so f***ing partisan and tunnel-visioned is why we are in a complete mess as a nation and undergoing rigor mortis. Criticising your political opponents is what politicians do. If it's not backed-up you point it out. The SNP do it, The Libdems do it. Everyone does it. Now if you were to give some examples of Jo Swinson being unreasonable (you've given one) then MAYBE you would have a point - assuming that what she says isn;t valid. From what Ive seen she has said is willing to talk and work with any party. Which is something no other party is saying. And we've seen how well that's worked out for us all.....

god yes though, I hate when the centre-left eats itself through petty squabbles. So, the Libs are a bit more neolib, a bit less authoritarian than Labour, I still think a coalition with both of those views in power would make for the dream government of the UK, they are close enough that they can work through these issues in a coalition. And it is slightly ridiculous that the Lib Dems get viewed as anything other than a brake on the Tories for their role in the 2010-15 government, just contrast the difference between then and now, besides the point that criticising them for it is now about as valid as the ridiculous 'the last Labour government' line the Tories were trotting out as late as 2017.

Slightly different in Scotland with the added elements, which is my main point against Jo, I reckon she will win and my gut says she will be more successful for the party, but my preference would be Ed Davey.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 7 2019, 03:17 PM
Post #86
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Nominations have closed and it is now officially Ed Davey v Jo Swinson.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 13 2019, 09:41 PM
Post #87
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
As expected, Chuka Umunna has joined the Liberal Democrats on a free after being released by Change UK. He was the highest profile member of the splitters, so it was inevitable he would be the Lib Dem's biggest coup - could potentially be a future leader if he holds on to his seat and stays for a few years. Now to see if any of the other prior CUKs join on a Bosman.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Jun 13 2019, 09:49 PM
Post #88
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718
More importantly, former Justice minister Philip Lee is rumoured to be joining the Lib Dems - the 5th MP to defect from the Tories this year, with Dominic Grieve voting against the government in a confidence motion in order to prevent No Deal, so I'm basically counting him as a 6th.

In January, Independent MP Lady Hermon voted with the government. Ivan Lewis and John Woodcock - two Independent and former Labour MPs - abstained. Fiona Onasanya and Paul Flynn were absent from the commons but have now been replaced by two new Labour MPs in crucial by-election wins.

If (a big if!) there were no changes to these irregularities, then government numbers would now be 319 vs. opposition numbers of 314. In January, numbers were 325 for the government and 306 for the opposition, so this marks quite a bit fall in the size of the government's working majority, which has become incredibly small and can be erased by three more defections. All of these figures exclude tellers and Speakers.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 13 2019, 09:50 PM
Post #89
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 13 2019, 10:41 PM) *
As expected, Chuka Umunna has joined the Liberal Democrats on a free after being released by Change UK. He was the highest profile member of the splitters, so it was inevitable he would be the Lib Dem's biggest coup - could potentially be a future leader if he holds on to his seat and stays for a few years. Now to see if any of the other prior CUKs join on a Bosman.

Chuka Umunna has still been a member of fewer parties in the last six months than Change UK have had names. They are now called Independent Change For Changing Independence or something like that.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jun 14 2019, 07:36 AM
Post #90
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 13 2019, 10:50 PM) *
Chuka Umunna has still been a member of fewer parties in the last six months than Change UK have had names. They are now called Independent Change For Changing Independence or something like that.

They're now called Independent Group for Spare Change.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jun 14 2019, 08:16 AM
Post #91
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jun 14 2019, 11:36 PM
Post #92
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
What a horrible sleazy door to door salesman the wannabe blairite Ummuna is.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Jun 15 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #93
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
QUOTE(Harve @ Jun 13 2019, 10:49 PM) *
More importantly, former Justice minister Philip Lee is rumoured to be joining the Lib Dems - the 5th MP to defect from the Tories this year, with Dominic Grieve voting against the government in a confidence motion in order to prevent No Deal, so I'm basically counting him as a 6th.

In January, Independent MP Lady Hermon voted with the government. Ivan Lewis and John Woodcock - two Independent and former Labour MPs - abstained. Fiona Onasanya and Paul Flynn were absent from the commons but have now been replaced by two new Labour MPs in crucial by-election wins.

If (a big if!) there were no changes to these irregularities, then government numbers would now be 319 vs. opposition numbers of 314. In January, numbers were 325 for the government and 306 for the opposition, so this marks quite a bit fall in the size of the government's working majority, which has become incredibly small and can be erased by three more defections. All of these figures exclude tellers and Speakers.

Not necessarily the relevant thread, but we can add Ken Clarke to this. 318 vs 315?

+Quote this post
Harve
post Jun 15 2019, 09:09 PM
Post #94
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
We will also find out next week if there will be a by-election in Brecon & Radnorshire over the summer, which would be a big chance for the Lib Dems to gain another MP off the Tories and crucial for any no confidence vote.

This post has been edited by Harve: Jun 15 2019, 09:10 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jul 22 2019, 03:31 PM
Post #95
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Jo Swinson is the new leader and first female leader of the Liberal Democrats.

Good choice, I ended up voting for her in the end but there was very little in it, but she got quite a comfortable margin. 47,900 to Ed's 28,021.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 22 2019, 04:51 PM
Post #96
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I voted for Jo Swinson as well but I would have been perfectly relaxed if Ed Davey had won. So, for 24 hours, two of the three main GB-wide parties are led by a woman. The most depressing thing is that Jo is the first party leader to have been born in the 1980s. That makes me feel ancient drama.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jul 22 2019, 05:15 PM
Post #97
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
She’s currently on track to lose her seat in a General Election so i wouldn’t be putting bets on this enthusiastic Tory enabler voting correctly in a motion of no confidence in Boris. She lost her own seat at the Euros by quite a margin to the SNP

+Quote this post
Harve
post Jul 22 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #98
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
Polls are so up in the air right now so it's difficult to make predictions either way, but she could easily lose her seat if the SNP return to near-2015 levels and the unionist vote doesn't consolidate to one particular party. Indeed, the SNP beat the Lib Dems quite comfortably in her constituency in May.

But the Lib Dems will absolutely vote No Confidence. I'm more worried about independent MPs like Ian Austin, John Woodcock, Frank Field, Anna Soubry, or even Labour MPs such as Sarah Champion.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Jul 22 2019, 07:37 PM
Post #99
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
My favourite thing about this whole contest is that there's a small chance that more Lib Dem members have participated in voting for their leader than Tory members have voted for the next PM. The latter contest (justifiably) got a lot more coverage, but perhaps in terms of media coverage, the Lib Dems shouldn't be so sidelined.

This post has been edited by Harve: Jul 22 2019, 07:38 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 23 2019, 07:12 AM
Post #100
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Jul 22 2019, 06:15 PM) *
She’s currently on track to lose her seat in a General Election so i wouldn’t be putting bets on this enthusiastic Tory enabler voting correctly in a motion of no confidence in Boris. She lost her own seat at the Euros by quite a margin to the SNP

So, suggesting (despite everything she has just said about doing everything she can to stop brexit - see SNP for similar viewpoints) she's become Leader in a secret bid to avoid losing her seat (which she's lost before) by voting to keep a man pushing a Hard Brexit that will ruin the country and force the end of the UK, leaving her to forge a new career in a new independent Scotland?

Hmmm. Sounds a perfectly reasonable viewpoint to me. Or maybe it's that she served in a coalition government that raised Labour's tuition fees despite saying they wouldn't (but also made them a future tax rather than a debt) and is now the leader of the main opposition party in Scotland to the SNP re potential supporters?

+Quote this post

19 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:44 PM