BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> dhwe's top 40 | w/e November 1, 2015, hello it me
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
dhwe
post Nov 1 2015, 08:59 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384
Hey guys, I tried keeping a personal chart earlier this year, and it was fine for about a month, but I eventually lost track. Last week I decided to officially #revamp it and here is the result. Here's the intro I posted in my first personal chart btw, just so you know how this works:
Hi everyone! So this is the first time I've ever done a personal chart. I've always been really interested in starting one but had no idea how to go about it as my listening habits are really erratic, but luckily I've figured out a system that I won't bore you with. All you need to know is that the top half is made up mostly of songs that I truly love at the moment, and the bottom half is kind of just by chance (radio, songs I listened to 1-3 times this week, etc.). Generally, I think that's what my charts will look like, though obviously there are exceptions [e.g. "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" and "Downtown" sneak into the top 20 this week through airplay].

I'm trying to keep this as current as possible so I have a rule for recurrents inspired by Billboard, which is that once a song, after a certain time period, falls out of the top 20, it becomes a recurrent and can't chart again unless it charts in the top 20. [...] At the end I'll also be adding a flashback song of the week like I've seen people do here.

Also I like graphics and pretty stuff so I did a thing (possibly doing way too much but w/e)

Also, there are some songs in the Bubbling Under that would've charted like a year ago had I kept a personal chart then, or even charted in my old charts (e.g. "Moments" which was top 5 at one point), but as this is my top 40 2.0, I just decided to start fresh.

TW | PP WC Artist – Song

01 | 01 1 Adele – Hello

02 | 02 1 Drake – Hotline Bling

03 | 03 1 Ellie Goulding – On My Mind

04 | 04 1 Justin Bieber – Sorry

05 | 05 1 Elle King – Ex's & Oh's

06 | 06 1 Fetty Wap featuring Monty – 679

07 | 07 1 Tinashe – Player

08 | 08 1 Taylor Swift – Wildest Dreams

09 | 09 1 Raury featuring Big K.R.I.T. – Forbidden Knowledge

10 | 10 1 Fetty Wap – Trap Luv

11 | 11 1 Beach House – Somewhere Tonight

12 | 12 1 Ariana Grande – Focus

13 | 13 1 Tori Kelly – Should've Been Us

14 | 14 1 Nelly featuring Jeremih – The Fix

15 | 15 1 Drake and Future – Change Locations

16 | 16 1 Beach House – Space Song

17 | 17 1 Meghan Trainor featuring John Legend – Like I'm Gonna Lose You

18 | 18 1 Major Lazer and DJ Snake featuring MΨ – Lean On

19 | 19 1 Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Eric Nally, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee and Grandmaster Caz – Downtown

20 | 20 1 The Chainsmokers featuring ROZES – Roses

~

21 | 21 1 GoldLink – Spectrum
22 | 22 1 The Weeknd – The Hills
23 | 23 1 Rita Ora featuring Chris Brown – Body on Me
24 | 24 1 J Balvin – Ginza
25 | 25 1 X Ambassadors – Renegades
26 | 26 1 Blood Orange – Sandra's Smile
27 | 27 1 Justin Bieber – What Do You Mean?
28 | 28 1 Daya – Hide Away
29 | 29 1 Raury – Crystal Express
30 | 30 1 Bryson Tiller – Don't

31 | 31 1 Halsey – New Americana
32 | 32 1 Alessia Cara – I'm Yours
33 | 33 1 Shawn Mendes – Stitches
34 | 34 1 Fetty Wap – Again
35 | 35 1 Selena Gomez – Same Old Love
36 | 36 1 Fetty Wap featuring Monty – My Way
37 | 37 1 Beach House – Sparks
38 | 38 1 R. City featuring Adam Levine – Locked Away
39 | 39 1 Jess Glynne – Don't Be So Hard on Yourself
40 | 40 1 Hailee Steinfeld – Love Myself

Bubbling Under

01 One Direction – Drag Me Down

02 Taylor Swift – Out of the Woods

03 Tove Lo – Moments

04 Alessia Cara – Here

05 Jeremih – oui

06 Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness – Cecilia and the Satellite

07 Grimes – Flesh Without Blood

08 Stwo featuring Sevdaliza – Haunted

09 Post Malone – White Iverson

10 Tinashe featuring Young Thug – Party Favors

—

Flashback: Britney Spears – Toxic (2004)

[US #9, AU #1, CA #1, PT #1, UK #1]

Mentioned this in the songs thread in the Lounge but I realized on Friday that "I need a hit, baby give me it" is a callback to a certain iconic Britney hit and I'm still in shock.

This post has been edited by dhwe: Nov 2 2015, 02:39 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
seven.
post Nov 2 2015, 04:10 AM
Post #2
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428
Dhwe biggrin.gif just got back into weekly charts myself but I'm glad this one is back!

Those graphics are great *.* I envy you even, wish I'd come up with it. A good dose of Fetty Wap (Trap Luv getting some luv is good to see) plus some Beach House is always nice. Grimes to smash onto the main chart please <3

+Quote this post
dhwe
post Nov 2 2015, 05:33 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(#psychic7 @ Nov 1 2015, 11:10 PM) *
Dhwe biggrin.gif just got back into weekly charts myself but I'm glad this one is back!

Those graphics are great *.* I envy you even, wish I'd come up with it. A good dose of Fetty Wap (Trap Luv getting some luv is good to see) plus some Beach House is always nice. Grimes to smash onto the main chart please <3
  • Thanks for commenting! I've always wondered whether the graphics were way too extra but thank you for complimenting them, I'm glad someone likes them!
  • I haven't seen many people talking about "Trap Luv" but it's the JAM.
  • I just got around to listening to the new Beach House albums, but I think I have to listen to them a bit more.
  • And yeah, I'm really liking the new Grimes as well, I expect a debut next week *.*

+Quote this post
Noahspike
post Nov 3 2015, 01:50 AM
Post #4
Group icon
There's a frisbee in my brunch
User: 19,860
Hi dhwe, hope you're well! Have to echo Seven's appreciation of those wonderful graphics - admired them when you made charts several months ago so it's especially great to see you back here. biggrin.gif

I've been pretty much hammering 'Hello' since it premiered and after taking its sweet time it's finally properly clicking with me now. There was always something stopping me going from a detached admiration for how utterly massive-sounding it is to actually connecting with the lyrics and sentiment, and I love that the whole thing can be interpreted in several contrasting ways. That all said, I can't see it challenging the first three '21' singles and a couple more Adele tracks in my affections any time soon, but that's an extremely tall order so I'm definitely satisfied with its dominance everywhere. happy.gif

'Wildest Dreams' has really grown on me recently too, with it initially suffering from my bias against any new '1989' single by virtue of not being 'Out of the Woods' mad.gif (which I see is Bubbling Under here wub.gif). That's really crying out for a release to extend a rather excellent singles run.

I'm so conflicted on 'Focus' lol. The chorus is objectively horrendous, derivative and gimmicky but I'm somehow quickly finding it tolerable in spite of myself pirate.gif. At least I'm sure the song will never touch the post-album singles of 'My Everything' no matter how much it grows, which is a huge relief. cool.gif

Nice observation re: the reference in 'Toxic' by the way! Had never noticed/known that either. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Noahspike
post Nov 3 2015, 01:52 AM
Post #5
Group icon
There's a frisbee in my brunch
User: 19,860
Oops, please delete. cool.gif

This post has been edited by Noahspike: Nov 3 2015, 01:52 AM

+Quote this post
dhwe
post Nov 3 2015, 04:11 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(Noahspike @ Nov 2 2015, 08:50 PM) *
Hi dhwe, hope you're well! Have to echo Seven's appreciation of those wonderful graphics - admired them when you made charts several months ago so it's especially great to see you back here. biggrin.gif

I've been pretty much hammering 'Hello' since it premiered and after taking its sweet time it's finally properly clicking with me now. There was always something stopping me going from a detached admiration for how utterly massive-sounding it is to actually connecting with the lyrics and sentiment, and I love that the whole thing can be interpreted in several contrasting ways. That all said, I can't see it challenging the first three '21' singles and a couple more Adele tracks in my affections any time soon, but that's an extremely tall order so I'm definitely satisfied with its dominance everywhere. happy.gif

'Wildest Dreams' has really grown on me recently too, with it initially suffering from my bias against any new '1989' single by virtue of not being 'Out of the Woods' mad.gif (which I see is Bubbling Under here wub.gif). That's really crying out for a release to extend a rather excellent singles run.

I'm so conflicted on 'Focus' lol. The chorus is objectively horrendous, derivative and gimmicky but I'm somehow quickly finding it tolerable in spite of myself pirate.gif. At least I'm sure the song will never touch the post-album singles of 'My Everything' no matter how much it grows, which is a huge relief. cool.gif

Nice observation re: the reference in 'Toxic' by the way! Had never noticed/known that either. ohmy.gif

Ty for commenting Noah!
  • Yeah, my favorite interpretation of "Hello" is that she's addressing her younger self, though she's said in interviews that it's basically about everyone in her past, and I think that gives people free rein to make whatever personal connection they want with it. Totally agree about it not eclipsing the 21 singles, especially "Rolling in the Deep"—that was a true "drop everything, listen now" moment for me.
  • And yeah, I wish "Out of the Woods" was a single too! sad.gif I really think if they wanted to push it as a single, they would've done it long ago (kind of wishing they'd done it in place of "Bad Blood" tbh), and I can't see it being the next single, if there is one. That said, I hope they release "New Romantics" as the last hurrah single—it would be perfect to cap off the era.
  • Re: "Focus": I'm kinda of two minds about it as well. I don't mind it, I don't even mind the chorus, but I agree with everyone who says it's just a "Problem" rehash. Not something I'd return to regularly, really.
  • And yeah, I really wonder how many more of these references are hidden in Britney's discography! There's this one, then there's the "My loneliness ain't killing me no more" bit in "Stronger". I feel like I need to map them all out now, lol.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:11 PM