BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ariana to star in Netflix's 'The Prom' movie, coming in 2020 / soundtrack also confirmed
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Jun 25 2019, 02:42 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
http://www.playbill.com/article/meryl-stre...-the-prom-movie

Ariana will be returning to our screens in the Netflix adaptation of Broadway musical 'The Prom'! This is a Ryan Murphy project (also behind Glee, American Horror Story etc.) and will also feature the likes of Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman and James Corden. She will be playing Alyssa Greene and the casting has already received backlash on social media - as the character is a lesbian and woman of colour in the Broadway version. The film is set for release in 2020 and will also have an accompanying soundtrack. I've seen that Ari, Ryan and Scooter Braun are involved with that.

Are you excited to see Ariana returning to her acting/musical roots? Or are you apprehensive about the casting? Discuss away ~
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jun 25 2019, 03:08 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Alone and wounded
I knew social media would go crazy about the casting - especially as Ariana tends to be the target of trolls a lot. As a Glee fan, the show had a lot of gay characters but played by both straight people and LGBTQ+ actors as well. Same vice versa with the likes of Matt Bomer and Jonathan Groff playing straight men. But I can see why fans are annoyed, Glee was his creation whereas this is an adaption of a (fairly new) musical that already has its fans who have ideas of what the characters will be like. I personally have never seen the Broadway show so I don't have any sort of connection with it. In general I have no problem with straight people playing LGBTQ+ roles or vice versa if they are the best person for the job. To use Glee again, Darren Criss and Naya Rivera are both straight actors but they were perfect for their gay roles and earned legions of fans who saw themselves in these characters, regardless of who the actor was. On the flip-side, I couldn't imagine anyone else but Jonathan Groff playing the role of straight Jesse St. James in the show, he nailed it too. As for POC roles I hold the same stance, I didn't bat an eyelid when JK Rowling later re-casted Hermione as a black woman, if the actress was the best person for the job then fair enough. I know with this case it's more about representation, but I feel in general musicals aren't exactly bad for this. It's a slippery slope, tokenism shouldn't come into it, talent should. Ryan Murphy is pro-diversity so there's no ugly views coming into play there that have influenced this. Ariana has broadway and acting experience behind her so I can definitely see why she would be well-suited to a musical film project, with both of those factors considered. As an Ariana fan and lover of musicals I'm very excited about this project and its accompanying soundtrack (does this woman ever stop?!). Will have to get listening to the songs from the original musical soon. I'm also impressed by how star-studded the line-up is in general. I am a rare breed who doesn't have a Netflix account though so I should probably change that x

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 25 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Can James Corden just FO from EVERYTHING plz??? Ughhhh. I HATE that it's his show that have us Carpool Karaoke sad.gif

But hyyyype!! Aria with Meryl & Nicole Kidman??? *.*

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post Jun 25 2019, 10:25 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454
Okay. Yes! HYPE! Gonna watch it regardless, BUT... All I remember from James Corden (acting wise) was 'Lesbian Vampire Killers' and that was released for free on iTunes. coffee.gif (js)

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jun 25 2019, 11:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Oh I've now seen that she was involved with the project, but that she won't be a part of it any more due to conflicts with her touring schedule? sad.gif I hope that's not true as I was loving the idea of Ari in a musical film. On the plus side the online hate about the casting will stop for this if these new reports are to be believed... will wait and see if she comments on it anyway, she was quick to shut down the rumours about the release date of her upcoming summer single and it not being called 'Complicated'.

Edit: Okay yeah a few credible sources have reported that she is no longer involved, aww

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jul 9 2019, 05:47 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Well, reports are now conflicting as it says that she is co-starring in this at the end of her new Vogue interview... so I will choose to believe them because wishful thinking laugh.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 10:54 AM