BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
48 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 42 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Top of the Pops on BBC4, Part Three - Now into 1990
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 23rd August 2020, 04:25 PM
Post #781
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

I think all 3 Nana's are fab smile.gif I went to see Shakespear's Sister on their first tour, and all 3 of them back together on their last tour, still great.

Betty Boo tried to nick the Betty Boop name but it led to legal action so she had to change it. Portaventura theme park in Spain has the rights to Betty Boop merchandise, Sesame Street, and not much else laugh.gif

Liza was Hollywood royalty from day one, her dad was film Director Vincent Minelli, her mum the biggest musical star of the movies in it's Golden Years. Cabaret made her famous in her own right, and a gay icon just like her mum smile.gif

Fuzzbox were previously an indie punky band called We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Going To Use It on a quirky Indie label making quirky fun naughty indierock tracks, but they got signed up, glammed up, popped up, and ultimately stuffed up when the album didn't sell. I bought it, it's not bad at all.

Cliff's SAW single was prob the last one that got significant Radio 1 plays, I think he got the chop after Some People or Saviours Day, and Radio 2 dropped him in 1999, more or less persona non grata since then except at Xmas or oldies chart shows.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 23rd August 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #782
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

So Cliff Richard hasn't got airplay on radio 2 even since 1999? That's crazy, is it the religious undertones to his songs? Seems a bit harsh. He's a living legend.

Always remember Status Quo complaining when Radio 1 dropped them in the early 90s.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 28th August 2020, 11:30 PM
Post #783
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 7/9/1989 presented by Bruno Brookes

Marillion Hooks In You No32 NE
Richard Marx Right Here Waiting(Video) No15^^

Starlight Numero Uno(Video) No9
Prince Partyman(Video) No20 NE

Alyson Williams I Need Your Lovin No11
Depeche Mode Personal Jesus(Video) No25 NE

Janet Jackson Miss You Much(Video) No30
Jason Donovan Everyday (I Love You More) No3 NE*

***No1 Black Box Ride On Time***No1 1st Week
The Cure Love Song(Video) No33 NE

We have Bruno going solo this week all decked in his 80s suit. We start live in the studio with the long awaited return of what are now veterans Marillion. The lead singer looks ALOT different to his last appearance 2 years ago but that's mainly because this is the first album with new lead singer Steve Hogarth following the departure of Derek 'Fish' Dick. They are legends Marillion even by 1989 and still had plenty of hits in them right up to the new century. They seem to have went heavy metal for this new era due to the new lead singer and I like it. This was the first single from their fifth studio album 'Seasons End'.

Next up we get a glimpse of the video for the highest climber by Richard Marx. its the first time I've heard it and I absolutely know the song 'Right here Waiting' a slow ballad classic. This was the second single from his second album 'Repeat Offender'. Now I know why Radio 2 are still playing his new material on their current playlist.

Next up a second showing of the video for 'Numero Uno' by Starlight as it enters the top 10 for the first time. I like this a lot as its basically an instrumental. It has elements of mid-80s dance by the likes of 'Art Of Noise' but with a faster house beat.

Following the 40-31 countdown with new entries by The Rolling Stones, Technotronic, The Cure and Aerosmith we have the video for the new entry by Prince 'Partyman' which is the second top 40 cut from his soundtrack to the new Batman film that was so successful in the summer of 89. Not a great era this for Prince, the production sounds like a lot of other late 80s pop/RnB hits so it kind of sounds generic and similar to songs from other US artists of the time like Bobby Brown. Still sound great on the dancefloor though.

Next up we get what I believe is the third performance of the new Alyson Williams single as either TOTP or her record label try to make it a top 10 hit. Bruno tries to point to the stage she's playing on but has fooling nobody as its clearly a repeat from last week. I like the soulful nature of the song though.

Its been a decent show so far with the big Q4 hitters of 1989 beginning to square up with lots of (9) new entries but the quality takes a huge upturn next with the video for the new Depeche Mode single and one of their best releases in 5 years with the classic bluesy rock of 'Personal Jesus' which would become one of their new classics from their more rock centric years. I do hope we get a studio performance from them this era as they were ever present on the TOTP from 1981 - 86. I also miss their high new entries of the early decade, we have to be happy with a new entry at 25 by this stage. 'Personal Jesus' is the lead single from the groups seventh studio album 'Violator'. This is definitely my favourite Depeche Mode song of all time and I also love the remake by Marilyn Manson too.

After their 30-11 countdown we get a climber from Janet Jackson with her new single 'Miss You Much'. yet another video with the only new studio performance so far being from Marillion at the start of the show. Disappointing with all the new single in the chart. This is the lead single from Jacksons fourth studio album 'Rhythm Nation 1814. The video they are showing was considered iconic for its choreography and chair routine and has been referenced by artists such as Britney Spears. This would be a huge number one in the US but achieve a more middling performance of 22 in the UK.

We are finally back in the studio next for the highest new entry by Jason Donovan. Again not a track I remember much from him which showed his peak had already passed by this stage LOL. Sometimes if these type of acts don't enter at number one they will never reach the top because they usually had a big fan base but after 2/3 great singles at the start of a campaign the later tracks didn't resonate at radio and fell down the chart afterwards which was the opposite for the big hits of the time (by either unknowns or returning artists who have been around a bit).

And finally after 5 weeks the Jive Bunny falls to number 2 as Black Box become the weeks biggest sellers and its one of two top 10 songs for them this week the other one at 9 by Starlight, another name they are known as. This would be another long running number one so be prepared for many showings of that performance as the presenters pretend its in the studio there and now. I guess its better than a video though as the top seller finally returns to the studio.

We end the show with another fantastic track by The Cure 'Love Song' and again as with Depeche Mode possibly my favourite track of many from the bands whole discography. 1989 is clearly taking an upturn for me. Or maybe I bored by all the house and Jive Bunny we have at the charts top end.

This post has been edited by Steve201: 29th August 2020, 12:54 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 29th August 2020, 05:07 PM
Post #784
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Yes,Hooks In You by Marillion has quite a heavy metal sound to it which was a worry to their fans at the time but the Seasons End album had a much lighter tone to it and was well received and Steve Hogarth quickly settled into his role. The group's line-up has remained the same since 1989. Their 2017 concert at the Royal Albert Hall was shown just a couple of weeks ago on Sky Arts and Steve Hogarth will appear on an upcoming edition of Pointless Celebrities which was filmed pre-lockdown. So having not been seen on TV for I don't know how long,Steve now makes three appearances in a few months.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 15th September 2020, 03:15 PM
Post #785
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 14/9/1989 presented by Simon Mayo & Andy Crane

Damian Time Warp No7
Madonna Cherish(Video) No16 NE*

Technotronic Ft Felly Pump Up The Jam No19
Tear For Fears Sowing The Seeds Of Love(Video) No5
Sidney Youngblood If Only I Could No17^^

**Breakers London Boys Harlem Desire(Video) No37 NE
**Breakers The Rolling Stones Mixed Emotions(Video) No36
**Breakers W.A.S.P Forever Free(Video) No35 NE

Tina Turner The Best No10
***No1 Black Box Ride On Time***No1 2 Weeks
Aerosmith Love In An Elevator(Video) No23

We have the double duo of Andy and Simon in the studio this evening and we start with another performance of the camptastic Time Warp by Damian.

Next up we have a new entry for Madonna at number 16 'Cherish', a great Madge classic for me. This should move into the top 10 next week, quite sad we are past the straight into the top 10 entries by Madonna, they would return soon enough I suspect. We have a look at the first part of the top 40 rundown with new entries from Aretha Franklin & Whitney Houston, WASP, London Boys & S'Express.

We have a strong climber this week for a dance classic in song and the band as well with the house classic Technotronic and Pump Up The Jam, the 90s are soooo close now with this kind of stuff leaving the dancefloors and entering the UK Top 40. This must have sounded revolutionary back in 1989 with a much heavier beat than the piano dance sound of Black Box, thing were changing fast and SAWs europop/hi-energy was very mid decade - this was the future.

From a great dance track to my favourite band in the chart with the fantastic returning sound of 'Sowing The Seeds OF Love', what a great return from one of my favourite bands of the decade. This video is class as well. As Simon said the new album was out at the end of September 1989 and was called 'The Seeds Of Love'.

Next up following the 30-11 countdown we have this weeks highest climber by Sidney Youngblood. This sounds like a house track too and once it begins to be played and the great soulful voice comes in I realise I have heard this a lot over the years and is indeed a classic. In the song, Youngblood evokes "the world of brotherhood and love that he would like to create 'if only he could'. This utopian humanism is "very uncommon in the songs devoted to nightclubs". "If Only I Could" uses the bassline and drumbeat from the Raze house track "Break 4 Love". Lovely stuff!

We have the return of the breakers next including videos of the new London Boys single, the top 40 climber from the Rolling Stones & a new entry by WASP.

Next up in the studio a classic performance of the arguably the most remembered song on the chart currently the class Best by Queen Tina. No 80s up-tempo pop would be complete without the final verse Sax solo!!! 'The Best' was a song written by Bonnie Tyler for her seventh studio album 'Hide Your Heart' released in 1988. It was covered by Tina Turner for her seventh studio album 'Foreign Affair'.

The top 10 comes next which inevitably ends with a number one and second week on top for piano house classic 'Ride On Time' by Black Box.

We end the show with Aerosmith and their metal classic 'Love In An Elevator. This is the lead single from the bands third album 'Pump'.

This post has been edited by Steve201: 16th September 2020, 10:18 PM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 15th September 2020, 04:08 PM
Post #786
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Sowing The Seeds Of Love is a fantastic song as is the whole Seeds Of Love album. I had just bought a new music system which included a CD player and The Seeds Of Love was one of the first CDs I bought. Up to this point,I had been buying cassettes.

If Only I Could is a good song. I have never liked The Best or Pump Up The Jam.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 16th September 2020, 10:20 PM
Post #787
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Yeh love Tears For Fears, was that they basically ended after this release as the follow up was with just the one of them.

Good news The Story of 1990 is set to return on 2/10/20.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 26th September 2020, 11:02 PM
Post #788
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 21/9/1989 presented by Nicky Campbell

London Boys Harlem Desire No21^^
Aerosmith Love In An Elevator(Video) No17
S'Express Mantra For A State Of Mind No24

Richard Marx Right Here Waiting(Video) No2
The Wonder Stuff Let Me Down, Gently No19 NE*

**Breakers Beautful South You Keep It All In(Video) No31 NE
**Breakers Gloris Estefan Oye Mi Canto(Hear My Voice) (Video) No30 NE
**Breakers Aretha Franklin & Whitney Houston It Isnt, It Wasn't, It Aint never Gonna Be(Video) No29
**Breakers Deacon Blue Love & Regret(Video) No28 NE

W.A.S.P Forever Free (Video) No25
***Black Box Ride On Time***No1 3rd week 114,000
Janet Jackson Miss You Much(Video) No22

Nicky presenting alone tonight starts by introducing a riser by the London Boys with their third single this year, all performed on TOTP. Its more captastic fun from the 2 guys. Everytime I see them perform I always have to double check this isn't where Right Said Fred started out as one of them looks the spitting image of him.

Next up Nicky introduces the new video for the current Aerosmith single the uplifting 'Love In An Elevator'. This is the first single of the bands tenth album 'Pump'. Lead singer Steven Tyler states that he got the idea for the song from a real life experience of having sex in an elevator.

Next up we get the 40-31 countdown with new entries by Karyn White, Curiosity Killed The Cat & The Jesus & Mary Chain.

Next up we have the new single by 1988 hotshots S'Express. I really like the production on this, more modern style house that wouldn't sound out of place nowadays. They also have an extra female vocal which sounds nice. Unbelievably this was their penultimate top 40 single and it feels like we have only got started with them. The song would go onto appear on their second album 'Intercourse' which wouldn't be released until 1991. Jason Pierce of the band 'Spiritualised'.

Next up a huge contrast to the last performance as its the soppy ballad by Richard Marx probably getting another showing as its in the top 3 and being a US artist he cant get over to London to perform the single Its a classic no matter though, lovely track. We also get a nice joke comparing Richard with the other fella with the same surname who's pretty famous.

Now we get the countdown from 30-11 with new entries by Gloria Estefan, Deacon Blue & The Wonder Stuff. The latter are next in the studio and this sounds quite different to anything else in the charts a shouty indie pop track, I quite like it and haven't heard it before but back in 89 this was the highest new entry. After checking them out they did have a number one single in 1991 with a cover of the 1969 song ‘Dizzy’ with comedian Vic Reeves. This was their third single in the top 40 though.

We get four fantastic breakers next from Beautiful South, Gloria Estefan, Deacon Blue and one legend and one legend n the making from Aretha Franklin and Whitney.

Next up we get yet another video which gets its on introduction as a non-breaker perhaps as its a riser of 10 places. Its the new single by another American band W.A.S.P.

Following the top 10 single rundown we have a 3rd week on top for the classic Black Box. It was now at its sales height selling over 100k copies in the week but would still get another three weeks as I’m assuming sales were relatively low at this point as cds replaced vinyl so songs spent longer at the top spot. I think this goes on until around 1993.

We end the show with yet another video this time from Janet Jackson with her new single 'Miss You Much'. Seems like we get 3 studio performances on TOTP these days with about 8 videos....

This post has been edited by Steve201: 27th September 2020, 09:18 AM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 10th October 2020, 11:13 PM
Post #789
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 28/9/1989 presented by Sybil Ruscoe & Jenny Powell

Sydney Youngblood If Only I Could No4
Kate Bush The Sensual World(Video) No12 NE
The Beautiful South You Keep It All In No9^^

Technotronic Pump The Jame Ft Felly(Video) No3
Wet Wet Wet Sweet Surrender No14

**Breakers Billy Joel We Didn't Start The Fire(Video) No29 NE
**Breakers Curiosity Killed the Cat Name & Number(Video) No27

Erasure Drama(Video) No6 NE*
Gloria Estefan Oye Mi Canto(Hear My Voice) No23

***No1 Black Box Ride On Time***No1 4 weeks 91,000
Karyn White Secret Rendezvous(Video) No34

We have two female presenters taking the lead tonight, that must be a first. And they actually mention that fact. We start of with the top 5 hit from Sydney Youngblood, another fantastic dance track from this year of great mature dance tracks and acid house really comes of age. Wonderful midtempo house!

Next up we get the video for the new Kate Bush track as she makes her comeback after 4 years away which is normal for Kate she likes long interludes between her new material. This has quite a middle eastern feel to the production although the song includes Irish instrumentation including Uilleann pipes, fiddle and whistles. 'The Sensual World is the title track and first single from the album of the same name. This is Bushes sixth studio album. She drew her inspiration of Sensual World from the novel 'Ulysses by Irish poet and novelist James Joyce. Bush realised that Molly Blooms soliloquy, the closing passage of the novel, fit the music she had created. When Joyce's estate refused to release the text, Bush wrote original lyrics that echo the original passage.

After the 40-31 countdown with new entries by Bobby Brown, All About Eve & Cher. Next up we get the new single from the Beautiful South in the studio. The fantastic 'You Keep It All In' a great song regarding people who don't discuss their issues in a relationship. It also contains female vocals and both Paul Heaton & Dave Hemingway sing part of the verses. Its also the highest climber in this weeks chart. Its the second single from the bands first album 'Welcome To The Beautiful South'. Its the second of 20 top 40 hits for the group between 1989 and 2005.

Another top 5 single this time the video of the fantastic first single from dance DJs Technotronic 'Pump The Jam' with that unforgettable heavy thumping almost hi-nrgy beat and the fantastic vocals from Felly. This is the first of 9 top 40 hits for the group.

The 30-11 chart countdown is next with notable new entries by Billy Joel, Wet Wet Wet and of course Kate Bush. Wet Wet Wet are next in the studio performing the new entry for 'Sweet Surrender'. Its a slower ballad sound for them this year setting up for plenty more MOR tracks over the next decade. 'Sweet Surrender' is the opening single from the bands third studio album 'Holding Back The River'.

Next up we have 3 videos two of them breakers of the new singles by the riser from Curiosity Killed The Cat and the new entry from Billy Joel making a storming return after 5 years away. After this we have another video performance of the highest new entry from Erasure with new single 'Drama', this weeks highest new entry. 'We Didn't Start The Fire' is a 'list song'. Its lyrics include brief, rapid-fire allusions to more than 100 headline events between 1949, the year of Joel's birth, and 1989, when the song was released from the alnum 'Storm Front'. The song was nominated from a Grammy in 1990. Its said to be a chronology of the Cold War years which just so happened to end in the year he released the song.

Next up we get a performance in the studio for from the stunning Gloria Estefan and her new single 'Hear My Voice'. This sees Estefan retuning to her Latin salsa roots. Its the second single from her first solo album 'Cuts Both Ways', her first without the Miami Sound Machine.

We finally get to the weeks biggest selling single and for the 4th time in a row its 'Ride On Time'.

We finish the show with the current single 'Secret Rendevous' by Karyn Whitwe. This is quite generic late 80s Rnb-Pop in the style of Bobby Brown, Janet Jackson or Paula Abdul.

This post has been edited by Steve201: 11th October 2020, 12:09 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 10th October 2020, 11:30 PM
Post #790
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Good show,that one. I like most of those songs.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 11th October 2020, 12:10 AM
Post #791
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Absolutely - love The Beautiful South so much, great band with so much more to come. Also live the three dance songs and huge returns for legends Billy Joel and Kate Bush with long awaitied comebacks that didn’t underwhelm.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 24th October 2020, 01:35 AM
Post #792
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Tops of the Pops 5/10/1989 presented by Steve Wright & Jacki Brambles

Double Trouble & The Rebel MC Street Tuff No12 NE
Cher If I Could Turn Back Time(Video) No18
Curiosity Killed The Cat Name & Number No14

Billy Joel We Didn't Start The Fire(Video) No11^^
Sonia Cant Forget You No27 NE

**Breakers Living In A Box Room In Your Heart(Video) No31
**Breakers Belinda Carlisle Leave A Light On(Video) No28 NE
**Breakers Milli Vanilli Girl I'm Gonna Miss You(Video) No24

Bros Chocolate Box(Video) No9 NE*
***No1 Black Box Ride On Time***No1 5th week 83,000
S'Xpress Mantra For A State Of Mind(Video) No21

We start tonight's show with the dynamic duo known as Steve and Jacki who introduce our first act with the return of Double Trouble and the Rebel MC with a high new entry at 12 following their previous singles success this year with 'Just Keep Rockin'. Its a pity they cant spell though!! This would become the biggest hit for both performers. Rebel MC aka Michael Alec Anthony West and Double Trouble aka Karl brown, Leigh Guest & Michael Menson who were a dance record producing trio. These two tracks would appear on Rebel MCs album 'Rebel Music' released in 1990. The song is based on the bassline of the track '54-46 That's My Number' by The Maytals. This is a fairly standard bouncy late 80s house/rap track with a definite Caribbean feel to this release. Rebel MC was experimenting with beats which would eventually fuse into what would be called 'Jungle' in the early 1990s. The performers show of some wonderful coloured suits which is the highlight for me.

Next up Steve introduces the video for the new rising hit by legendary pop singer Cher with one of her best known hits 'If I Could Turn back Time'. This was the lead single from Cher's 19th studio album 'Heart Of Stone' and was seen as a big return to form for her and a number one in in Australia and Norway and top 10 in the UK and America. The song was written and produced by Diane Warren and Guy Roche. I'm a big fan of this track and like to sing every word of it lol and was surprised to hear that Cher hated it and Roche and Warren pleaded with her to record it.

We have the 40-31 countdown with new entries for Fresh 4, The Wedding Present & Sinitta. Following this we have Curiosity Killed The Cat returning to the TOPs studio for the first time in 2 years with their new single. 'Name & Number' was widely sampled in the 1991 song 'Ring Ring Ring' by De La Soul and also 2013 hit 'How Ya Doin' by Little Mix. Its the first single from their second album 'Getahead' I really like this track and vaguely remember it from my childhood. Its hard to frame what type of band Curiosity are and who they look to as inspiration maybe just a replacement for Spandau Ballet or Wham.

We are back to the video clips again with another showing of the fab new Billy Joel single We Didn't Start the Fire that mentions as many people as possible from the past 40 years. Its been 5 years since Billy hit the charts with the signature 'Uptown Girl' and its reign at number one, this is a very welcome return!! Lets hope it can climb into the top 10 next week.

Now we have the second or middle part of the chart rundown with notable entries for Belinda Carlisle, Sonia & Milli Vanilli. Next up Jacki presents the new entry for Sonia's follow up single to her huge summer number one and interestingly for TOTP she interviews her first on the gang walk for a few seconds then she dances down the steps to the stage and starts her performance, I like that. As for the song itself Im not so sure, I have literally heard this beat so many time over the past 3 years by S/A/W that I wake up after a long night sleep bobbing along to it.

Next up we get three breakers from Living In A Box who were fast running out of ideas, a great return by Belinda Carlisle with another well known classic from her which sounds fab but very similar to her breakthrough in December 1987 and the new entry by Milli Vanilli, maybe they will be performing in the studio soon.

After this Steve introduces another big new video with the brand new single from Bros 'Chocolate Box'. its not one of their well known tracks and the big breakthrough boys from 1988 are already starting to wane, looking forward to see if this rises or falls next week. At least they have another number one with Band Aid to extend their relevancy into the 90s. From a Chocolate Box to a Black Box now with the UKs best selling single for a amazing 5th week now with no signs of slowing in the publics eyes as the biggest sound on the dancefloor this year!!

Some more slightly less commercial house to finish us of with the video for the current S'Xpress single 'mantra For A State Of Mind'.

4 studio performances and 7 videos in this episode with the performers being local Brit acts and videos from the big US artists.

This post has been edited by Steve201: 24th October 2020, 02:12 AM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 6th November 2020, 11:40 PM
Post #793
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 12/10/1989 presented by Gary Davies

Chris Rea The Road To Hell (Part 2) No26
Jive Bunny & The Master Mixers That's What I Like(Video) No4 NE*

Cliff Richard Lean On You No28 NE
Belinda Carlisle Leave A Light On No14

Milli Vanilli Girl I'm Gonna Miss You(Video) No10
Sinitta Love On A Mountain Top No23
Living In A Box Room In Your Heart No18
***No1 Black Box Ride On Time***No1 6th week 68,000
Fresh 4 Featuring Lizz E Wishing On A Star(Video) No22

On this weeks episode we have old work horse Gary Davies 7 years into his TOTP career presenting on his lonesome. And we start the show with another studio performance from Chris Rea following his 1988 hit 'On The Beach' This time he's back with arguably his biggest UK chart hit 'The Road To Hell'. We shall not mention the Christmas one which will reappear each year unknown to him at this stage. Chris seemed to go on a run of really big hits in the late 80s and it was definitely his most productive time. For some reason this era for Chris reminds me a lot of Dire Straits 1985 'Brothers In Arms' era. This is the first single from Chris' tenth studio album 'The Road To Hell'. The song is famously inspired by his frustrations of traffic on the M25 and M4 motorways.

Next up Jive Bunny makes a return with the highest new entry at number 4 with another mash up of 50/60s dancefloor hits. The video basically looks the same as the number one summertime smash 'Swing The Mood' and he would be back with an Christmas compilation before 1989 is out. Thankfully it would be of its time and they wouldn't be seen again.

We have the 40-31 countdown now with new entries from Alice Cooper, Raul Orellana & Deborah Harry. Next up Cliff Richard continues his great 1988/89 with yet another new entry 'Lean On You', his 102nd single release. Not instant top 10 smashes from his fanbase this one might have to climb the chart after this bit of promo. This is definitely my favourite of his hits this particular year. Its has a nice beat and sounds like a good pop hit.

Next up great to see the gorgeous Belinda Carlisle with a studio performance of her comeback single 'Leave A Light On'. Fantastic track even if it isn't up to the number 1 smash her previous solo debut single hit 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth'hit. This song was written by Rick Howel and Ellen Shipley. Its the first single from her third solo album 'Runaway Horses'. The song features George Harrison on slide guitar hence the distinctive style to the riffs in the song.

Next up the 30-11 countdown followed by the video for the new Milli Vanilli single which has entered the top 10. Next up performing is the Sinitta with her new single coming to the end of her really successful period. She still gets into the top 40 with her great easy going cheese fests.

Living In A Box return to the TOTP studio with the third single from their current album 'Gatecrashing'. This is by far the best hit off the album for them, its a song that I remember too whereas I had forgotten completely about and it shows as this will rise into the top 10 in a few weeks. 'Room In Your Heart' is the 7th of 8 top 75 hits for them in the UK.

For the 6th and final week in a row Britain's biggest selling single is 'Ride On Time' by Black Box. As Gary reliably informs us the last song to spend six weeks in a row at number 1 was 5 years earlier when Stevie Wonder spent 6 weeks on top with 'I Just Called To Say I Loved You'. It was quite a static top 10 apart from the highest new entry from Jive Bunny. And we all know where that will be headed next week!!

We finish with a video by Fresh 4 and Lizz E with a big E at the end. This is a really cool chilled out vibe and I really like it, it sounds a bit like Massive Attack. 'Wishing On A Star' is a cover of the 1977 single by Rose Royce. They are a British DJ and production group.

This post has been edited by Steve201: 7th November 2020, 12:06 AM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 14th November 2020, 01:08 AM
Post #794
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 19/10/1989 presented by Mark Goodier

D Mob introducing Cathy Dennis C'mon And Get My Love No36 NE
Billy Joel We Didn't Start The Fire(Video) No7
Martika I Feel The Earth Move No33 NE

**Breakers Adeva I Thanks You(Video) No28 NE
**Breakers Queen Scandal(Video) No26 NE
**Breakers De La Soul Eye Know(Video) No24 NE*

Cher If I Could Turn Back Time(Video) No9
Deborah Harry I Want That Man No21^^

Sybil Don't Make Me Over(Video) No34 NE
***No1 Jive Bunny & The Master Mixers That's What I Like(Video)***No1
Oh Well Oh Well(Video) No37 NE

Starting tonight's edition we have a new entry from the dance act D Mob with Cathy Dennis on vocals. This is a nice house track which sounds like something S'Xpress would release. I love the wee shuffle sound prominent throughout it. This song established Cathy Dennis as a chart presence for the first time. and it was actually included in her album released in 1990 'Move To This'. This was also on D Mob's album 'A Little Bit Of This, A Little Bit Of That'.

Next up we have a third showing of the new Billy Joel single, great track that it is and as Mark Goodier says in the introduction he's coming to the UK to promote his new album next week so lets hope TOTP book a performance to see him in the studio.

Next up we have the 40-31 countdown with new entries from Oh Well, Martika & Sybil. We follow this with a studio performance from the said new entry by Martika. I've definitely heard this track before and quite like it. It doesn't quite have the uniqueness of 'Toy Soldiers' but is definitely more commercial and chasing the kind of market Belinda Carlisle was in at the time. This was the third single from Martikas self titled debut album. It is a song written originally in 1971 by Carole King which appeared on her album 'Tapestry'.

Next up sees the return of the breakers with three new entries lower down the chart which are set to be big in the coming weeks. We have videos from Adeva, Queen & De La Soul who were really reaching the top of their game by late 1989, This video is pretty cool too.

TOTP have this knack of showing three videos breakers and then introducing another more established acts video straight after which I think is a bit pointless. But anyhow if its as big a classic as Cher 'If I Could turn Back Time' then its fine. Great rock ballad style release from her giving her her biggest hit for a fair few years but it wouldn't be the last as she would hit the top spot at least twice in the next decade to.

Next up we are back in the studio with the nest act of the week with legendary Blondie lead singer Debbie Harry in her own guise. Does anyone wish to guess when the last performance of TOTP was? Genuinely wondered!! This was the lead single from Harry's third solo album 'Def, Dumb & Blonde and as Mark says while introducing shes only two of them.This was the first solo record she released when she used her full forename in the title.

Next up we have the 30-11 countdown with new tracks by Queen, De La Soul & Adeva. Next up we have the video by Sybil for her new track 'Don't Make Me Over'. This is the first single from this American artists self titled sophomore album which was actually released as ‘Walk On By’ in the UK. The track is a song originally recorded by Dione Warwick as her debut single in 1962.

And we have a new number one, after 6 weeks at the top spot Black Box makes way for the second number one of the year for Jive Bunny!

The episode finishes with a video for the new house track by Oh Well. They were a German house act (along with many in the late 80s) fronted by Alexander Henninger and Achim Volker. This single was a cover of the 1969 Fleetwood Mac single.

This post has been edited by Steve201: 14th November 2020, 01:49 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 14th November 2020, 11:54 AM
Post #795
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

We Didn't Start The Fire is one of Billy Joel's best songs and I like that cover version of Oh Well.

I can't remember the last time Blondie turned up in the studio. It was probably one of their early singles.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 14th November 2020, 11:24 PM
Post #796
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Yeh maybe when they first came over to the uk early on. Was a nice surprise to see her and the songs well enough known.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 20th November 2020, 07:47 PM
Post #797
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

The Story of 1985 is repeated on BBC Two tonight at 10pm

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 21st November 2020, 01:17 AM
Post #798
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Yeh watched the end of it, I have them all series recorded on my planner.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 21st November 2020, 02:00 AM
Post #799
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 26/10/1989 presented by Bruno Brookes

Rebel MC & Double Trouble Street Tuff No3
Queen Scandal(Video) No25
Belinda Carlisle Leave A Light On(Video) No4

Chris Rea The Road To Hell Pt2 No12
Lisa Stansfield All Around The World(Video) No13 NE

Living In A Box Room In Your Heart No7
Adeva I Thank You No17
***No1 Jive Bunny & The Master Mixers That's What I Like(Video)***No1 (2nd week - 84,000)
Milli Vanilli Girl I'm Gonna Miss You(Video) No2

We start the show tonight with Bruno taking the reigns and introducing the now top 3 hit 'Street Tuff' by Rebel MC & Double Trouble. The beat on this has really grown on me over the past few weeks of these episodes, so infectious even if its of its time. London hip hop was really taking shape with this genre and it would spawn so many new genres over the next 30 years. How could you not shake the foot to it!!

Next up we have another play of the video for the new Queen single 'Scandal'. The third single of the album 'The Miracle'. Great to see TOTP continuing to support the legendary band. We get another video showing following this for the current Belinda Carlisle single which enters the top 5 for the first time, thought they might have shown a repeat of the studio performance from the previous week but alas we have another video showing, the studio audience must be bored. This Belinda song is just as good as her signature hit 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth' from her debut solo release.

Next up we have the 40-31 countdown by Bruno with new entries for Arthur baker & Al green, Level 42 & Luther Vandross.

Next up Chris Rea paves the road to hell for us by ripping up the studio with the biggest hit of his career to date(which stretches back to the early 70s) as it moves up the chart. I love the part studio performance and the glimpses of the video naturally made up of a traffic jam.

Next up we have the video for the new single by Lisa Stansfield and the quality goes up a huge notch with this release following the big breakthrough earlier in the year and the moderately successful follow up this could well be number one material. Sounds very early 90s soul pop with a northern Manchurian accent.

Next up Living In A Box, who apparently came all the way from Hollywood to perform. Holywood, N.Ireland maybe!! This is the final big hit for these late 80s new wavers and this is quite a nice slow ballad. Deservedly top 10 material, leaving that legacy.

Next up the second chart countdown from 30-11 with new entries for Lisa Stansfield and big climbers for Sybil & D Mob. The third single from their current album '3 Feet High And Climbing' its the best De La Soul single so far 'Eye Know'. Great video too. Love the sample from the Mad Lads 'Make This Young Lady Mine' and the whistle sample from Otis Reddings (Sittin On) The Dock Of The Bay and vocal samples from Steely Dans 'Peg' and finally drums from Lee Dorseys 'Get Out Of My Life Woman'.

Next up in the studio we have 1989 TOTP favourite Adeva with her new up-tempo single 'I Thank You'. And impressive red topped backing dancers.

Next up we have the top 10 countdown and a second week for Jive Bunny with their second number one of the year.

We end with the video for Milli Vanilli and their new track. 'Girl I'm Gonna Miss You' is the third single from their second album 'Girl You Know Its True'.

This post has been edited by Steve201: 21st November 2020, 11:37 AM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 30th November 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #800
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top of the Pops 2/11/1989 presented by Anthea Turner & Andy Crane

Martika I Feel The Earth Move No12
Luther Vandross Never Too Much (Remix 89) (Video) No19

D.Mob Introducing Cathy Dennis C'mon and get My Love(Video) No21
Deborah Harry I Want That Man No13
Milli Vanilli Girl I'm Gonna Miss You(Video) No2
Phil Collins Another Day In Paradise No22 NE

**Breakers Beloved The Sun Rises(Video) No26
**Breakers Mixmaster Grand Piano(Video) No23

Kylie Minogue Never Too Late No17 NE*
***No1 Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers That's What I Like(Video)***No1 (69,000)
Transvision Vamp Born To Be Sold(Video) No31 NE

We have a double presenting team of Anthea and Andy tonight and we start with another performance for Martika with her more conventional follow up to 'Toy Soldiers', sounds like a SAW style song but sounds good.

Next up we have who by 1989 was already a legendary soul artist in Luther Vandross with a re-release of his first ever solo single 'Never Too Much' from the 1981 album of the same name. . I really like this remix and this song is well know by me especially for the more modern version by Mary J Blige and sample from Will Smith. I never really heard much Luther on TOTP even though he's been having top 40 hits since about 1983-84 now. This single never charted in the UK in its original 1981 form so glad this remix got into the top 20.

Next up the countdown from 40-31 with new entries for Brother Beyond and Transvision Vamp. That's followed up by the video for the new D.Mob/Cathy Dennis track. I really like this not just because D Mob has introduced us to the lovely Cathy Dennis but the sort of late 80s shuffle house sound is class still. With the lovely pop vocals over it it just works great and sounds fab!

Next up back to the studio for a repeat performance from the ex-Blondie Harry with the fantastic 'I Want That Man'. I don't mind, its a great track!

Seems we aren't going to get many new studio performances tonight as we go to another video this time of the current number 2 hit by Milli Vanilli. Anytime they are on TOTP I cant help but feel bad for what is to come for these guys but lets just enjoy this slushy teen rnb ballad for what it is. We have the 30-11 countdown next with new entries by Mix Master, Phil Collins and Kylie Minogue.

Finally a new studio performance from Phil Collins with a track that is one of the biggest hits of his long career and one of my own favs of his. He still uses some of those background drums from 'In The Air Tonight' which I love. Fair play to him for still coming into the TOTP studio so far into his career. He could have not bothered by this stage and still probably got a hit from radio plays. This is the opening single from his upcoming album 'But Seriously'. The subject of homelessness and the slow tempo means its a substantial departure from his previous dance/pop sound of 'No Jacket Required' album 4 years previous. It would not quite reach number one in the UK but the album would but it was a 4-week chart topper in the US Billboard charts.

We have breakers this week with a wonderful slow ballad house track from Beloved and a more dancefloor style house from Mixmaster. The Beloved track appears on the bands top 20 album 'Happiness' and the female vocal samples the song titled 'O Euchari' by Gothic Voices.

There was me saying there weren't too many studio performances this week and now we get Phil and now Kylie with her highest new entry 'Never Too Late'. This isn't a vintage one of hers, role on Better The Devil in the coming years. This is the third single release from her second album 'Enjoy Yourself'.

We get a third week on top for that damn bunny, but this could well be his final week on top.

We finish the show with the classy new video from Transvision Vamp. This isn't anywhere near of the same quality at their previous hits, but glad they are back in the top 40 again. Its the fourth single off their second album 'Velveteen'.

This post has been edited by Steve201: 30th November 2020, 05:54 PM

+Quote this post

48 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 42 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 05:21 AM