BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Samantha's 50 Favourite Taylor Songs, #16-#18 Posted | Losing Haunted was Revenge
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 21 2017, 03:10 AM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Hey all and welcome to my personal countdown of my top 50 Taylor Swift songs of all time wub.gif From smash hit singles to gems of album tracks, this countdown will have everything as I cover my favourites in detail <3

What are you expecting to see do well? What do you want to pop up here?!
Anyone wanna go fully for it and predict what tracks from each album will pop up?!

Album Breakdown:
1989: 12 tracks
Fearless: 5 tracks
Red: 12 tracks
Speak Now: 11 tracks
Taylor Swift: 7 tracks
Non Album Singles: 3 tracks
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Regina
post Aug 21 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
Half of my Heart to win.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 21 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
'Don't you think I was too young to be messed with?'

50. Dear John

Kicking off my countdown we have the album track 'Dear John' from her third album Speak Now!

The song is about her ex boyfriend John Mayer and Taylor described it as
'The song "Dear John" is sort of like the last email you would ever send to someone that you used to be in a relationship with. Usually people write this venting last email to someone and they say everything that they want to say to that person, and then they usually don't send it. I guess by putting this song on the album I am pushing send.'

This message is easily conveyed throughout the song as Taylor sings about how she is played by his twisted games and how he messed with her. Dear John is one of Taylor's longest songs iirc and is a fantastic downtempo where Taylor makes her feelings loud and clear <3

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Aug 21 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #4
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Only really familiar with some of the big singles and the album tracks from 1989 but I'll be sure to follow the countdown anyway! Dear John, idk her laugh.gif

Blank Space, Mine & You Belong With me for the medal positions pls!!!

I hope this doesn't put your movies countdown on hold heehee.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 21 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
QUOTE(Josh! @ Aug 21 2017, 04:45 PM) *
Only really familiar with some of the big singles and the album tracks from 1989 but I'll be sure to follow the countdown anyway! Dear John, idk her laugh.gif

Blank Space, Mine & You Belong With me for the medal positions pls!!!

I hope this doesn't put your movies countdown on hold heehee.gif

it probably will oops kink.gif Though with Movies it has to be done by the 30th August (I want it done before the festivals start!!) but i was at a wedding last week, I'm crying over Taylor this week and when I'm not I've got Lana/Results/Wedding!! So movies will probs resume next Monday and be done in like 3 days!! <3

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Aug 21 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #6
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Intrigued to see how this plays out ohmy.gif

Dear John is one of the only duds on her best album for me, it's pleasant but it's too long sad.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 21 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
'I just want to know you better, know you better, know you better now'

49. Everything Has Changed (feat. Ed Sheeran)

Kicking off my countdown we have the fourth UK top 10 single 'Everything Has Changed' from her fourth album Red!

Taylor describes the song as
'Everything looks different to you because of this one person, because one new person came into your life. It’s really cool'.

I loved this more at the time of the release than I do nowadays. I remember really liking the BGT performance and Taylor is utterly fabulous on this <3 Ginger has been worse but he's not great on this, however his contribution meant Taylor got another hit in the UK though *.* He better stay away from TS6 however! I really love Taylor's parts and they are quite good together but I felt like Taylor was always better when they sung together on this laugh.gif This is the first UK top 10 single to drop out (some of the other singles got snubbed here but I don't think any of them were hits here) and the song is nice lyrically but I feel she has stronger songs of the same ilk.

(and also another reason why this is good is because this was the song that made my Mum a massive stan of Taylor *.*)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 21 2017, 04:32 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
'But I don’t wanna dance if I’m not dancing with you.'

48. Holy Ground

Into 48th we have the album track 'Holy Ground' from Red!

'the song talks about a relationship that hurt me a lot, but looking back, it was good'.

Holy Ground is an upbeat country song (or rap describing to wikipedia??!!!) and was one of the songs on Red that was much more previous Taylor than her new poppier style! This is a pretty big favourite and its not hard to see why, you just wanna get up and dance and smile when you hear it <3 The production (the drum beat *.*) & Taylor's vocal shine on this *.*

+Quote this post
Regina
post Aug 21 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Raining Shitter
I feel odd about loving Dear John so much because John Mayer is my all time favourite male singer laugh.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 21 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
'I won't let nobody hurt you / Won't let no one break your heart.'

47. Never Grow Up

Into 47th we have another album track, this time 'Never Grow Up' from Speak Now.

'Never Grow Up" is a song about the fact that I don't quite know how I feel about growing up. It's tricky. Growing up happens without you knowing it. Growing up is such a crazy concept because a lot of times when you were younger you wish you were older. I look out into a crowd every night and I see a lot of girls that are my age and going through exactly the same things as I'm going through. Every once in a while I look down and I see a little girl who is seven or eight, and I wish I could tell her all of this. There she is becoming who she is going to be and forming her thoughts and dreams and opinions. I wrote this song for those little girls.'

The song is quite good and nice but a bit understated and Taylor's been better but its the lyrics that shine the most for me here! The lyrics are stunning and I had massive moment with them when I was growing up at around 13/14 and it really struck a chord with me <3 The description I posted above is literally why the song connects so well with me <3

+Quote this post
mdh
post Aug 21 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776
I really like Everything Has Changed still, partly due to the video which is so sweet </3. I actually quite like Ed's contributions on this, more so than I do on most of his solo songs lmao. A shame to see this out so quickly but she has done better so fingers crossed my faves slay in this.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Aug 21 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Raining Shitter
Never Grow Up hit me like a truck when I first heard it, so lovely and touching.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 21 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #13
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
'I want you for worse or for better, I would wait for ever and ever.'

46. How You Get The Girl

Into 46th we have the first of twelve 1989 tracks (Clean just missed out) with album track 'How You Get The Girl'

'“The song ‘How You Get the Girl’ is a song that I wrote about how you get the girl back if you ruined the relationship somehow and she won’t talk to you anymore,” Swift explained. “Like, if you broke up with her and left her on her own for six months and then you realize you miss her. All the steps you have to do to edge your way back into her life, because she’s probably pretty mad at you.'

The song was one of the first songs from the era that we got a glimpse at as it was featured in an ad for Diet Coke which starred her kitten Olivia (which was such a good ad <3). This was initially one of my 1989 main favourites but other songs grew on me and overtook whereas this stayed at a similar consistent level for me! This is just a fab pop song which I get my life to everytime I hear it <3

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Aug 21 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #14
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Never Grow Up doesn't get enough love, it's a beautiful track wub.gif

How You Get the Girl is a big highlight from 1989! Probably would've been my choice if they'd plumped for another single.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Aug 22 2017, 10:24 AM
Post #15
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Only know two so far, Everything Has Changed & HYGTG!!

EHC was actually one of my favourite Taylor singles even though I often forget about it. Their voices work really nicely together and it's pretty catchy too. It's underrated for sure!! 22 is my favourite from the Red era though.

HYGTG woukd be a bit higher on my 1989 rank but it's not one of my absolute favourites so not too upset about that. As long as the singles are still a while from being announced !! Clean is definitely the weakest track though so we can agree on that biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 22 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Ooh I look forward to following this *.*

'Everything Has Changed' hasn't held up that well in my affections over the years but I loved it at the time. I recall the video being sweet in particular!

'How You Get The Girl' isn't an ultimate 1989 favourite for me but it's still pretty catchy. When I worked at HMV they used to play 1989 all the time as it had recently come out and I'd find myself often having 'How You Get The Girl' stuck in my head when I'd finished my shift for the day!

+Quote this post
John-James
post Aug 22 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,665
Dear John and Everything Has Changed are two of my least favourite Taylor songs so not a great start laugh.gif One is incredibly dull and feels like lasts an eternity and the other features one of my least favourite artists.

Never Grow Up is beautiful though and How You Get The Girl is such a catchy pop song that its hard not to like it wub.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 23 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #18
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Thanks guys for your comments so far, will continue this evening! (probs 9ish) <3 <3

@Grant : I thought you were gonna dislike DJ cos of your love for John as well ohmy.gif
@mdh : Galway Girl is the only song I've preferred him on! definitely one of his best <3
@Joseph : I love it as an album track but I wouldn't see it working as a single ohmy.gif I would've gone for AYHTDWS probs!
@Josh : Clean isn't the weakest, I Wish You Would exists x Check out the others, I'll be interested to see what you think of them, I think you'll like Holy Ground but not sure on the other two!
@Jade: Agreed on EHC & what a song to have stuck in your head after a shift *.* I remember everytime I went HMV for a couple of months they'd play 1989, I heard Wildest Dreams while doing Christmas shopping and went crazy rotf.gif
:John : oops! at least your liking more as its continuing! <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 23 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #19
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
'You're really gonna be someone, Ask anyone.'

45. Stay Beautiful

Into 45th we have the first of seven tracks from Taylor's self titled debut with album track 'Stay Beautiful'.

'Swift wrote this song about a boy that she liked but moved away so she would never get to tell him that she liked him, so she expressed it in a song at the school talent show. Similar to Teardrops On My Guitar in the fact that she mentions the boy's name, Cory, in the song.'

This is such a fab song which I always underrate <3 Always puts a smile on my face when its come up on shuffle and its an early catchy Taylor country bop which is a big earworm <3 The song is quite cheesy which is definitely part of its appeal for me and I always sing-a-long to the chorus <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 23 2017, 09:40 PM
Post #20
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
'What a rainy ending given to a perfect day.'

44. Cold As You

Into 44th we have the next of seven tracks from Taylor's self titled debut (you aren't gonna like #41-#45 pretty much if you aren't a fan of her debut album) with another album track 'Cold As You'.

'I wrote this song with Liz, and I think the lyrics to this song are some of the best we've ever written. It's about that moment where you realize someone isn't at all who you thought they were, and that you've been trying to make excuses for someone who doesn't deserve them. And that some people are just never going to love you. We were halfway through writing this when I started singing 'And now that I'm sitting here thinking it through, I've never been anywhere cold as you.' Taylor also told Rolling Stone it's her favourite song on the album!

Cold As You is one of many many Taylor ballads to make this list and is one of her earliest & is the 2nd best ballad from her debut album <3 Taylor's vocals are fab on this and its a great ballad if you are feeling a bit down and the lyrics are great <3 The only reason this isn't any higher is because Taylor has gone on to make many more better ballads over the next 11 year so far!

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:55 PM